Transfer policy still a shambles!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby andy_g » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:51 am

my youngest kid is a little girl and she's a year and a half old. sometimes she wants a biscuit. she knows she wants a biscuit, i know she wants a biscuit and its completely fine for her to have a biscuit. she'll get a biscuit. the problem is though, that she hasn't quite got her head around the fact that it might take 3 or 4 seconds for the biscuit to actually arrive. by the time my hand is reaching out for the biscuit tin she's already thrown herself on the floor and started screaming as if its the end of the world. but within moments she has her biscuit, she's munching away and everyone is happy.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:53 pm

ConnO'var » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:17 am wrote:
Stu the Red » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:25 am wrote:Damjan its quite clear you completely fail to understand the reality of the situation.

1. For a start, we were not the best attacking side in the league. That was Manchester city.

2. We conceded fifty... I will repeat that... 50 league goals. Thats more than crystal palace and quite frankly god awful. At times it felt like we were conceding two a game.

3. Teams will have learnt a lot from watching the Chelsea game at home and more sides will employ those tactics. It will be more difficult for us to break sides down next season as sides will set up purely to defend.

4. We had no distractions. We had a whole week most games to prepare. This makes a huge difference. Five days in training making
Sure you are well drilled instead of two is a massive difference. Five days is also more time to asses an opposition and get it right. This added at least seven or eight points to our tally

5. What happened last season has little relevance on what will happen. Ipswich town once finished fifth then the season after hot relegated. If you stand still in this league you will lose out very very quickly and could find yourself mid table.

6. Steven Gerrard is another year older and a little bit slower and a little bit less fit. He is only going to get worse from here on in. He is stillta quality player to expect "the same again" is unrealistic.

7. We dont have a sterling or Flanagan waiting in the wings to improve us this season. Hence the reason the signings have to do it.

8. Our shape at times last season was not consistent due to playing two strikers, this is something that we need to address. We need to be able to change shape and still be a threat without having to move our best players out of position. Options with quality is massively important.

9. To expect the same again from Luis is unrealistic. I'm not saying he won't, but to expect a goal a game again near enough is stupid.

10.injuries, form and suspensions. Barring Enrique we were extremely fortunate last season as the majority of the side played most league games. We will hopefully play more games this season and it will take its toll.

11. We played well above ourselves last season.

There is eleven good reasons why we need to strengthen a lot more than you're making out and realise. Had I been on a computer and not a mobile phone I would have given you another twenty....

You keep living in your bubble where all is rosy... By the looks of it our manager agrees with you which is where my frustration comes from. The point is, I'm a football fan, I've seen it before... I've seen sides reluctant to change and fall away, ive seen sides not learn from lessons and I've watched how the best managers keep things fresh.

I've also seen what happens when you win a league... Then fail to improve a side the season after.

Your insistance we will do well next year because we did this year is ***** poor logic. United done alright for twenty years, last year they stood still and look were they ended up. On paper they are easily as good as ourselves. Think some people need to look at the bigger picture.

That is an excellent post and i agree with this almost 100%.

Mate, you need to post like this more often... just facts and rational opinion. It's when you get ***** or ***** off and  start with the insults and we have to wade through all the garbage to get to your point that things start getting lost and frustration on all fronts and parties crop up.

Superb post

Fu*k off con :D
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby devaney » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:15 pm

andy_g » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:51 am wrote:my youngest kid is a little girl and she's a year and a half old. sometimes she wants a biscuit. she knows she wants a biscuit, i know she wants a biscuit and its completely fine for her to have a biscuit. she'll get a biscuit. the problem is though, that she hasn't quite got her head around the fact that it might take 3 or 4 seconds for the biscuit to actually arrive. by the time my hand is reaching out for the biscuit tin she's already thrown herself on the floor and started screaming as if its the end of the world. but within moments she has her biscuit, she's munching away and everyone is happy.

That's clever Andy - very clever - now give me a fkg biscuit now - now  - now - I said fkg now yer miserable git !!!!  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby ConnO'var » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:39 pm

Stu the Red » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:53 am wrote:
ConnO'var » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:17 am wrote:
Stu the Red » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:25 am wrote:Damjan its quite clear you completely fail to understand the reality of the situation.

1. For a start, we were not the best attacking side in the league. That was Manchester city.

2. We conceded fifty... I will repeat that... 50 league goals. Thats more than crystal palace and quite frankly god awful. At times it felt like we were conceding two a game.

3. Teams will have learnt a lot from watching the Chelsea game at home and more sides will employ those tactics. It will be more difficult for us to break sides down next season as sides will set up purely to defend.

4. We had no distractions. We had a whole week most games to prepare. This makes a huge difference. Five days in training making
Sure you are well drilled instead of two is a massive difference. Five days is also more time to asses an opposition and get it right. This added at least seven or eight points to our tally

5. What happened last season has little relevance on what will happen. Ipswich town once finished fifth then the season after hot relegated. If you stand still in this league you will lose out very very quickly and could find yourself mid table.

6. Steven Gerrard is another year older and a little bit slower and a little bit less fit. He is only going to get worse from here on in. He is stillta quality player to expect "the same again" is unrealistic.

7. We dont have a sterling or Flanagan waiting in the wings to improve us this season. Hence the reason the signings have to do it.

8. Our shape at times last season was not consistent due to playing two strikers, this is something that we need to address. We need to be able to change shape and still be a threat without having to move our best players out of position. Options with quality is massively important.

9. To expect the same again from Luis is unrealistic. I'm not saying he won't, but to expect a goal a game again near enough is stupid.

10.injuries, form and suspensions. Barring Enrique we were extremely fortunate last season as the majority of the side played most league games. We will hopefully play more games this season and it will take its toll.

11. We played well above ourselves last season.

There is eleven good reasons why we need to strengthen a lot more than you're making out and realise. Had I been on a computer and not a mobile phone I would have given you another twenty....

You keep living in your bubble where all is rosy... By the looks of it our manager agrees with you which is where my frustration comes from. The point is, I'm a football fan, I've seen it before... I've seen sides reluctant to change and fall away, ive seen sides not learn from lessons and I've watched how the best managers keep things fresh.

I've also seen what happens when you win a league... Then fail to improve a side the season after.

Your insistance we will do well next year because we did this year is ***** poor logic. United done alright for twenty years, last year they stood still and look were they ended up. On paper they are easily as good as ourselves. Think some people need to look at the bigger picture.

That is an excellent post and i agree with this almost 100%.

Mate, you need to post like this more often... just facts and rational opinion. It's when you get ***** or ***** off and  start with the insults and we have to wade through all the garbage to get to your point that things start getting lost and frustration on all fronts and parties crop up.

Superb post

Fu*k off con :D

:D  :D
ConnO'var

Postby damjan193 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:05 pm

That's just unfair Stu, I never disagreed with any of that while you kind of changed your argument. I never disagreed that we need improvement and strengthening. What I don't particularly like though, is your attitude towards this whole situation. There's 2 more months until the start of next season and it's been just a few weeks since we had our best season in recent years but that doesn't stop you from posting your usual, negative *****, talking about major overhauls as if we were fighting relegation! Even I disagree with some of our transfer activities, like why are we going for a LB instead of a RB, or why are we going for someone not proven enough like Can to sort our midfield issue etc, but I don't go around spreading negativity, because there's been enough proof to show me that the people in charge know what they are doing. So I could give them until a ball has been kicked or at least until the transfer window is nearing closure (that's 2 months form now) before I start calling their work a shambles. 

The other thing that I don't agree with you is your main argument, that we need 6 new players to the starting 11, which you didn't mention in your last post. You did however mention having quality options, an argument that I strongly supported. I stand by what I said, we need new quality signings, Sanchez, Lallana, Moreno, who ever they might be, we need quality to strengthen our squad. But to ask for at least 6 changes to the 11 that almost won the league last season is something that I can't understand.

For the record, I never suggested standing still. Quite the opposite.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:30 pm

And like I've said to you dam, I've never said make six changes to the starting eleven. I want three or four and I want a quality squad player.

Mignolet, Johnson and skrtel have had their chances. They are in no way good enough. Hence us conceding fifty goals last season. I want the three of them out as we simply cant do any worse in that department. I dont see why you think that improving on these players would disrupt the side. It could stifle Flanagans development slightly, but thats a chance I would take. I also would like to see Sanchez or Pedro to introduce more quality and variation.

I want rid of the dead wood add players who aren't upto it like Lucas, aspas, borini etc etc.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:07 pm

Stu the Red » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:30 pm wrote:And like I've said to you dam, I've never said make six changes to the starting eleven. I want three or four and I want a quality squad player.

Mignolet, Johnson and skrtel have had their chances. They are in no way good enough. Hence us conceding fifty goals last season. I want the three of them out as we simply cant do any worse in that department. I dont see why you think that improving on these players would disrupt the side. It could stifle Flanagans development slightly, but thats a chance I would take. I also would like to see Sanchez or Pedro to introduce more quality and variation.

I want rid of the dead wood add players who aren't upto it like Lucas, aspas, borini etc etc.

I don't think you can say a shambles as we never had money or CL football to offer so the likes of Borini and Aspas are the only type of player we could attract. We were actually linked and tried to sign some good players that chose other clubs Willian for one) that is hardly the managers fault. This year will be his real test as we reduced the wage bill and have CL money as well as CL football to offer. We are still not able to offer life in London which I think is a factor, so some players will not choose us but we have a much better chance to get better players. We play a more attacking football ( which now seems more in vogue) so I think he will improve the first 11 by the end of the window.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:33 pm

I think thats a rubbish excuse mate to be honest. There are clubs lower in the league who signed far better players for for less money. Sessignon went for four million, he's a decent player, for better than either of those wasters.

Barry went on a free, another quality player. The fact is our signings have been a joke an the money spent also. Hardly any of it ended up on the pitch.

This club can attract big names. It can attract good players, I dont expect us to compete with city and Chelsea, but when teams outside the top four are doing good business and we aren't its a major cause of concern
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby LFC1990 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:50 pm

Stu the Red » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:33 pm wrote:Barry went on a free, another quality player.

Sorry who did Barry go on a free to

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:13 pm

Not sure he has gone anywhere on a free ?
Last edited by devaney on Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:13 pm

Loan last season free transfer season coming. No fee involved in loan deal.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:54 pm

Stu the Red » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:33 pm wrote:I think thats a rubbish excuse mate to be honest. There are clubs lower in the league who signed far better players for for less money. Sessignon went for four million, he's a decent player, for better than either of those wasters.

Barry went on a free, another quality player. The fact is our signings have been a joke an the money spent also. Hardly any of it ended up on the pitch.

This club can attract big names. It can attract good players, I dont expect us to compete with city and Chelsea, but when teams outside the top four are doing good business and we aren't its a major cause of concern

Well as I said this time he has no excuses so we will see who eventually comes and how they perform. How he handles replacing Gerrard will be a real test also because that decision will shape who we become.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:41 am

Agree completely. If he's signed this Can fella to do that and the lad has enough quality to develope then happy days, but I have a feeling Rodgers is weak

I've seen a few things already from him which worry me and replacing Gerrard is something I think he may struggle with... Unless Can turns out to be a world beater.

I also think his handling of the goalkeeping situation has been poor so far. I'm not sure I believe the reports linking us with Vorm and I keep banging on about the best keeper in the league playin for stoke.

He doesn't have any excuses this summer, you are right about that. I have a really bad feeling we are in for a typical Liverpool F.C. Transfer window were we expect gold silver and bronze and end up with cotton wool and toilet paper.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:49 am

Stu the Red » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:41 am wrote:Agree completely. If he's signed this Can fella to do that and the lad has enough quality to develope then happy days, but I have a feeling Rodgers is weak

I've seen a few things already from him which worry me and replacing Gerrard is something I think he may struggle with... Unless Can turns out to be a world beater.

I also think his handling of the goalkeeping situation has been poor so far. I'm not sure I believe the reports linking us with Vorm and I keep banging on about the best keeper in the league playin for stoke.

He doesn't have any excuses this summer, you are right about that. I have a really bad feeling we are in for a typical Liverpool F.C. Transfer window were we expect gold silver and bronze and end up with cotton wool and toilet paper.

So long as we don't get with a lamp  :D
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kartiek » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:01 am

I would've ideally spent big on a RB to replace Johnson and a quality CB. Eventually we need to replace Gerrard, and this will also be hard, but by shifting Gerrard to the role of DM, we've already made it much easier for us - there are really a ton of reasonably good DMs out there since it isn't always the most demanding position.

From my understanding, Can is seen to be a solid understudy to Gerrard. And while I haven't seen much of him other than youtube videos, from what I did see, he seemed to have great energy to tackle/intercept, and a great burst of pace to drive attacks - all extremely valuable things for a class DM. Rest of course, I trust the committee and hope they get it right.

As for CB, I think we've already been linked with some names. Lovren seems like a very decent option. RB is a tad worrying, I will admit.

Regardless, I seriously do not see the need for this sort of slagging off of LFC/Rodgers/FSG at this stage of the summer. It borders on the ludicrous.
kartiek

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion