Transfer policy still a shambles!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Stu the Red » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:53 am

I couldn't find the other thread, but I have to say this summer I'm not at all impressed by the clubs lack of ambition so far and the "names" we've been linked with.

Having just qualified for the champions league and narrowly missing out on the premier league title, having one of the top players in world football, a world famous name in Gerrard and the style of football we play, and being Liverpool FC we should be an attractive club to most players. Some forget, we also pay bloody good wages (see the "right back") 100k a week. Make no mistake, this club can and should be competing in the market. It should also be able to compete with Chelsea and City (unless the money gets stupid which it often doesn't) (see Fabregas deal).

The lack of ambition so far is absolutely shocking if I'm being honest. I said early in the season I believed us to need in order:

A right back
A Centre half
A Goalkeeper
A Wide forward who can operate through the middle
A Central midfielder who can tackle and run

So far we've signed an aging centre forward, who to be fair, I wasn't too disappointed with and understand the reasons behind and an unproven midfielder (who does have a good reputation) but I can't see being a first teamer. Already, we've spent £14,000,000 again, to sit on the bench. Baffling.

We have been linked with Lallana, Pedro and Sanchez... now out of those, I'd be happy with one of the Barca players and Lallana, BUT the reality is, Lallana, is only going to really be a squad player and isn't a MASSIVE improvement if at all on Henderson and Coutinho, he's just slightly different. He would add quality and variation to the squad, so wouldn't be a bad signing, but for the kind of money being mentioned why on earth wasn't Fabregas seriously approached? Players of that quality win you leagues. The lad is pure and utter and class. He'd replace Coutinho or Henderson in the side and be a massive improvement on both.

I know he wasn't a priority in my list, but when players of that quality come up for a fee you're being quoted for a lesser player you re jig your transfer plans surely.

Also, we are yet to be linked with any defenders. Only a left back, which coincidentally, depending on Jose Enrique's fitness is the only position in the back five where we're decent.

Last season, the reality is, of all the signings, you have to ask, could we have had the same system had we signed other players? and the answer is again clearly yes. Had we signed any other keeper than Mignolet we wouldn't have been worse off and I'm sure had we signed another centre half instead of Sahko we'd have been probably no worse off either. The main differences last season was the form of Suarez, Flanagan and Sterling... obviously along with the additions of Sturridge and Coutinho the season before.

So the point being, after 3 and a half windows:

Rodgers is yet to sign a truely world class talent. (although its still early so I'd give him another two years before I think this is an issue)
He's wasted millions and millions on players who've got nowhere near the first 11.
He's only used the window once to good effect to improve the first 11.

We really need to step this up, the club needs to show more ambition as does the manager. He also needs to be more ruthless.
Mignolet has had his chance, as has Skrtel, as has Johnson. Pack their bags and f*ck them off.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby LFC1990 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:31 pm

I know how you feel man and with it being the 31st of August and all that ...... wait its still June

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:54 pm

Yes its "only June, good excuse"... Chelsea have signed a top class player and world cup winner for the same price we're being touted for a player who's made his England debeut this year and is nowhere near the same standard... they've massively improved their first team already and we have our thumbs up our ***** and didn't even look at the possibilty of signing a better player for the same price...

But it doesn't matter... because its only June! :laugh:
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:33 pm

We've been heavily linked with Sanzhez, Lallana, Lovren, Vorm and Moreno, and as far as I can recall, you've said so yourself that you rate all of them. And what's with this constant complaining about improving the starting 11? We finished second last year, the starting 11 can't be that bad can it? We need just one or two additions to the starting 11, the rest should be for quality squad depth. Didn't you complain that we "got lucky with injuries and player's form last season"? Well, now we won't leave it to luck, that's why we're signing players who would improve the squad. Improving the squad is just as important as improving the starting 11, as long as we're REALLY improving the squad, not signing Aspas' and Albertos, which hasn't been the case so far.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC1990 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:42 pm

Sorry Stu remind we what players we had signed this time last year?

Then remind me where we finished this season

I know it must be hard for you not to be negative but surely you can give the team until the Transfer window opens on july 1st

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:54 pm

LFC1990 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:31 am wrote:I know how you feel man and with it being the 31st of August and all that ...... wait its still June

Come on you must realise by now that this forum is easily the most negative LFC forum on the internet. So much so I am sure any new members only come here to balance any positivity they might feel about this club and it's current trajectory of revival, improvement and growth.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:27 pm

damjan193 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:33 pm wrote:We've been heavily linked with Sanzhez, Lallana, Lovren, Vorm and Moreno, and as far as I can recall, you've said so yourself that you rate all of them. And what's with this constant complaining about improving the starting 11? We finished second last year, the starting 11 can't be that bad can it? We need just one or two additions to the starting 11, the rest should be for quality squad depth. Didn't you complain that we "got lucky with injuries and player's form last season"? Well, now we won't leave it to luck, that's why we're signing players who would improve the squad. Improving the squad is just as important as improving the starting 11, as long as we're REALLY improving the squad, not signing Aspas' and Albertos, which hasn't been the case so far.

Sanchez would be a quality signing and is the standard of player we require. Lallana is a good player, but would he massively improve the first team? Had we not spunked £10,000,000 on Can then I'd have liked to have seen him for a reasonable figure, but how can you justify even £20,000,000 when Fabregas, who we were not linked with and made no attempt to sign went for only a few million more. Lovren, while potentially a good signing is only a rumour and I'm not convinced we're interested in 3 players from Southampton. As for Moreno... I'm sorry, but no. Absolutely not. What is the point in that signing? Signing a player to play in a position you're already decent in when there are others that are a joke?

And complaining about improving the starting 11? Do you actually believe the starting 11 is that good? ???

Seriously?

You improve the "squad" by signing Fabregas and moving Henderson to the bench, you don't improve it by signing someone of the same level as Henderson. You also improve the squad by bringing in someone who's good enough to mean Sturridge can't get in the side. So then good first teamers, become squad players, thats how you improve a squad.

You improve the squad by getting rid of the dead wood.

Johnson is an embarrasment to the shirt and quite frankly is a complete and utter disgrace and needs shooting, Skrtel is a liability and Mignolet is nowhere near the required standard. You may be happy for us to go backwards, I'm not. I'm not deluded enough to think that having a week to prepare for most games didn't have a positive effect on us and I'm not deluded enough to think with the same eleven we'll finish in the same position. United will not be as poor next season, they will be in the mix, especially with the players they have (they will also sign quality) and Chelsea and City will strengthen, even Arsenal will improve... People will have seen our weaknesses and learnt to make a game scrappy to get on top of us.

To much money is being spunked on players who don't get into the side.

When you sign quality players like Sturridge and Coutinho and play them, you improve your team. When you sign players who sit on the bench and aren't good enough to get into the side, you don't.

Hence the reason that none of Rodgers signings, bar those two have added any real value to our team.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:13 pm

You're acting as if we finished 7th again. We were second. Only an idiot would add six new players to a team that almost won the league. We only need one or two signings for the first 11. The rest should be quality squad rotation players.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:01 pm

damjan193 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:13 pm wrote:You're acting as if we finished 7th again. We were second. Only an idiot would add six new players to a team that almost won the league. We only need one or two signings for the first 11. The rest should be quality squad rotation players.

Acting as if we finished seventh? Why? Because I want us to be the best side in the league? You're off your t!ts mate. The fact is, I want us to improve and be better than last sesaon, I want us to show ambition and I want us to suceed. I've personally never been one for just accepting bull Sh*t excuses and nearlys... you either do it and do it well, or you fail. Being the first place loser last season hurt, it hurt because it was in our hands and I'm absolutely sick of the transfer policy of this club over the last 20 years.

And who mentioned six new players?

I have clearly stated time and time again I believe we need four first team players and one quality squad player.

Sanchez/Pedro, Richards, Lallana, Begovic and Lovren are players I'd like us to sign.

Lovren, Sanchez or Pedro, Richards and Begovic would come into the side replacing the weak links. Only an idiot, would allow us to stand still while the rest of the clubs around us improve and only an idiot would suggest that certain players in that first team do not need replacing.

Like I've said a million times, Mignolet, Johnson and Skrtel are not good enough. If we replace those three, while adding a wide forward who can give us something different and offer us a better and more solid shape than Daniel Sturridge then we're onto a winner. We'd also have options, and coincidentally a better squad.

If you simply think adding one or two players and a squad player here and their is going to make us into champions then you're mistaken, deluded and in your own words an idiot.

We no longer have a week to prepare for each game, its going to be one or two days, that will make a huge difference to our performance levels. We won't have the time to drill certain players in the same way, thats a reason you need more quality and a reason that certain players don't perform to the same level at international level and are often better "club players" than international players.

Look at Rodgers signings...

Only Coutinho and Sturridge would be considered a success.

You can say Allen (overpriced) and Sahko (also overpriced) have contributed fairly positively but neither of which you would describe as value for money, for £32,000,000 I'd expect a lot better... Funnily enough, we could have got Fabregas for that.

Apart from that the rest are quite frankly a joke.

Alberto
Aspas
Borini
Ilori
Mignolet
Cissokho
Moses

To name a few...

We spend millions on players who never get into the side... WHY?
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:59 am

Matteo Darmian.

Simple as that. There is the right back we need. Absolutely class. Reminds me of Zambrotta and has the lot.

Looked quick, strong, technically superb and was a threat going forward. Plays for Torino as well who by comparrison aren't a massive club.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:16 am

Just because the manager is not exactly following your pearls of wisdom, doesn't mean that all hell is broken loose...

If it were that easy to manage a premier league club, everyone and their dog will be doing and winning the league, FA cup and CL trebles all the time...

Fact is not Fantasy, Fantasy is not Fact... give it a break...

chillax!...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:20 am

maguskwt » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:16 am wrote:Just because the manager is not exactly following your pearls of wisdom, doesn't mean that all hell is broken loose...

If it were that easy to manage a premier league club, everyone and their dog will be doing and winning the league, FA cup and CL trebles all the time...

Fact is not Fantasy, Fantasy is not Fact... give it a break...

chillax!...

I will chillax when we sign players of the required quality.

If you can't get Begovic, get someone better.
If we can't get Darmian, get someone better.

WE NEED TO SIGN PLAYERS THAT WILL IMPROVE US!!!!
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:55 pm

We need to strengthen our starting XI, that is a fact. The reason we came second is that we had the top 2 goal scorers in the division (including the PFA and FWA footballer of the year who equalled the premiership goal record).
No doubt Luis as Danny will have good seasons next year too but it's unrealistic to expect them to score over 100 goals two seasons on the bounce.
The midfield and defence need to step up to the plate.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:23 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:55 pm wrote:We need to strengthen our starting XI, that is a fact. The reason we came second is that we had the top 2 goal scorers in the division (including the PFA and FWA footballer of the year who equalled the premiership goal record).
No doubt Luis as Danny will have good seasons next year too but it's unrealistic to expect them to score over 100 goals two seasons on the bounce.
The midfield and defence need to step up to the plate.

I don't believe you're giving credit where it is due. Suarez was exceptionally good last season, make no mistake he was the main reason, only a fool would tell you otherwise. But Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho, Gerrard and Henderson all contributed massively.

The midfield scored 20 odd goals between the three of them (counting Sterling as a forward) which is an excellent return, not to mention some of the passes and delivery from set pieces which heavily contributed to our goal tally. I think you're under appreciation of the midfield is at times baffling Yak. I understand that you think the midfield is weak defensively. To an extent I agree, we aren't exactly rock solid in their. Gerrard and Henderson lack the positional sense of a Hamann, Keane, Vieira or Alonso... However, they certainly aren't like Jamie Redknapp or Frank Lampard who only defended when it suits.

We aren't as poor there as you make out, espeically with the lack of help and direction from behind them and the lack of a defence to close gaps and instruct a midfield to close gaps. No-one talks in the back line, and playing in midfield and centre half myself I can tell you that communication is a massive part of organisation and being able to keep a clean sheet at any level. As a centre half, sometimes you need to direct a midfielders postion and you need to know when to push up and stop gaps developing, hence one of my real dislikes about Skrtel, I've never heard him ball at anyone or instruct anyone in the five years he's been at the club in open play.

Defensively we're ***** poor, thats what needs addressing first and foremost. Next summer would be a good time to sort the midfield out.

Fact is, whoever we sign now, needs to improve the first team. I find it so annoying, happy clappy, blind and unambitious that people don't want to improve the first team. If we don't, we'll struggle to make the top four next season.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby devaney » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:23 pm

Stu this thread is just a load of premature bollux. You're as bad as the fkg tabloid press mate  :laugh:  if there's fk all to write about then let's make it up. You harp on about Fabrigas. Barca are not idiots. For each of the last three seasons Fabrigas has scored one, six and one in the last 24 games of the season or if you prefer 8 goals in 72 games in a league where it is a lot easier to score goals especially if you play for Barca. You want us to pay £30m for a player that has been a far bigger flop for Barca than Mignolet has been for Liverpool. And remind me just how effective we're Fabrigas and Pedro when they came on in that 5-1 thrashing by Holland. Just why do you think Arsenal didn't want Fabregas back given they had first option to sign him? Chelsea were convinced Torres still had a game in him when then coughed up a "thank you very much" £50m for a player that was on a dramatic downturn. Personally I think they have just done the same again !! They haven't improved the team and they will never get their money back on Fabrigas unless they sell a helluva lot of shirts !!

There are two and a half months before the transfer window closes. Do to really think this is the time to start suggesting that our transfer policy is in a shambles?  The two signings that we have made so far will give us greater strength in depth and improve the squad.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Next