Youth policy - Is it going to work?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby EddieC » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:56 pm

I was just looking at Our squad profiles, and something's hit me.

I can't see what positions our youth players could get into the team in the coming years.

We've got the best youth team in the country, but I don't see them hanging about until they're 23-24 to get first team football.

With the exception of Anderson breaking through on the right wing, I can't see anywhere else that players like Hobbs, Roque, Antwi & Hammill can get into the team.

Look at the first team squad and you'll see the only players retiring in the next five or so years are Dudek, Hyypia, Finnan & Fowler. With the exception of Finnan, those positions are already covered by players in the 20-26 bracket.

I just wonder if we're going to be able to accomodate the talent coming through the ranks? Or will they all leave to get first team football, as I'm certain the majority will be good enough before they get an opportunity with us.

I can see what Rafa's trying to do, building our future first team now, but do you think they've got the patience to see it through?

Your thoughts please.
EddieC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:46 pm

The simple answer has to be if they're considered good enough then they'll force their way into the team. They will probably spend a couple of seasons going out on loan to gain experience if they can't push straight into the 1st team but if they work hard and impress whenever they get a chance to then rafa will bring them into the 1st team squad. It all boils down to them having the desire to play for Liverpool Football Club; if they want to play in the 1st team their chance will come and they've gotta take it.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion