The title race back on? - Or are we living in dream land?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby columbia » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:16 am

BarryBelfast wrote:
Barca Murph wrote:I don't think if i were you i'd be thinking of actually winning the league right now. See where you are in 5 games time and think about your chances then.

No one gives a flying fu.ck what you think!
What will happen is we will put your lot out of the Champions League and you will stop posting on here!
Its happened many times before on here and always will!!

what an idiot.

He's just giving an opinion and a sensible one at that. So what is your problem? People like you shouldnt be liverpool fans, you have no dignity or grace.

I think it will be interesting if united draw before they play us. If we can win all our games untill we play them and they draw one it will be 9 points and we could get it down to six with 10 games left.

Take each game as it comes though, certainly not getting my hopes up, but we do have a chance.
columbia

Postby EddieC » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:25 am

I think this thread has the wrong title, as it isn't a case of can we win the title, rather can Manure lose it?

I'm confident we can get enough points to win the title, subject to results elsewhere. What I'm not so confident about is both Manure & Sh!tski dropping enough points for us to overtake them. The title race was taken out of our hands quite a while ago with the results we had at the start of the season, hopefully next season we won't need to change half our squad, will get an easier start & will be able to keep the title race in our own hands.
EddieC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:50 am

EddieC wrote:I think this thread has the wrong title, as it isn't a case of can we win the title, rather can Manure lose it?

I'm confident we can get enough points to win the title, subject to results elsewhere. What I'm not so confident about is both Manure & Sh!tski dropping enough points for us to overtake them. The title race was taken out of our hands quite a while ago with the results we had at the start of the season, hopefully next season we won't need to change half our squad, will get an easier start & will be able to keep the title race in our own hands.

Did you get your meerkat yet Eddie? :p
66-1120597113

Postby Red Soul » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:23 am

As long as it's still mathematically possible, then it's still... mathematically possible.
Red Soul

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:35 am

Why can't people just take it one game at a time? ''If we do this, if we do that'' is a pointless debate.

The reason I say this is because we've had this before and it seems like people have learned nothing from it. People get their expectations all up because they go on predicting a ten match winning streak and then when we lose, there are a bunch of knee-jerk reactions.

Just take it one game at a time, use the Benitez mentality. Why look ten matches ahead when we should be focused on our next opponents?

West Ham are no walk in the park. They're desperate for points, desperate for a result that could motivate them to start going and get out of the relegation zone. And haven't teams done that against us before?

Let's not get over-confident because of one win. Call me superstitious  if you will but Adam had a good point about this on the last page of this thread. We had these threads before we played Blackburn and what happened?

Taking on Rafa's mentality is good and realistic mind, but we're not paid to be cautious and we're not paid to be realistic.

We're fans of the club and are entitled to be optimistic if we want, its our dream. Theres no point in us all being miserable and level headed like you, its our dream and we're entitled to it.

Delete this thread as its to optimistic, gets some more negative and miserable ones up  :glare:
66-1112520797

Postby ConnO'var » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:19 am

Bamaga man wrote:
Why can't people just take it one game at a time? ''If we do this, if we do that'' is a pointless debate.

The reason I say this is because we've had this before and it seems like people have learned nothing from it. People get their expectations all up because they go on predicting a ten match winning streak and then when we lose, there are a bunch of knee-jerk reactions.

Just take it one game at a time, use the Benitez mentality. Why look ten matches ahead when we should be focused on our next opponents?

West Ham are no walk in the park. They're desperate for points, desperate for a result that could motivate them to start going and get out of the relegation zone. And haven't teams done that against us before?

Let's not get over-confident because of one win. Call me superstitious  if you will but Adam had a good point about this on the last page of this thread. We had these threads before we played Blackburn and what happened?

Taking on Rafa's mentality is good and realistic mind, but we're not paid to be cautious and we're not paid to be realistic.

We're fans of the club and are entitled to be optimistic if we want, its our dream. Theres no point in us all being miserable and level headed like you, its our dream and we're entitled to it.

Delete this thread as its to optimistic, gets some more negative and miserable ones up  :glare:

:laugh:

Good points BM.....
ConnO'var

Postby laurence_2k2 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:14 pm

anyone commenting here going down on tue night?so least we might have some1 to blame  :D
The Rafalution Continues!
laurence_2k2

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:33 pm

dreamworld
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:27 pm

not this season.... but soon.. very soon

the scum would have to lose three players for a while
and chavski would have to not bounce back when terry is fit which i can't see tbh

if we can get within 6 point of the scum this season will have been a good one as the doom mongers were spoutin some right sh!t early doors, next season with money in the summer and no major cups rafa will get the right players and take the league by storm   roll on
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby Big Niall » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:10 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
RichardLFC1 wrote:
Big Niall wrote:We have picked up 3 points from 12 in our 4 games against the other three big teams and that has cost us.

Man utd have picked up only 4 of a possible 12 and there sitting top

:laugh: The lad has a point there!  :nod

Yeah - you got me there. :bowdown

However - we did lose the league in the first 10 games, just like last season.

The league should start in November :D
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:02 am

We'll know more after tonight.

I would expect Man Utd to muller Watford.

But Chavsea may find Blackburn tricky, although I expect Blackburn to roll over and surrender to Chavsea, like most other teams do.

Two defeats for Man U and Chavsea would be cool, but I expect a United win and at best a Chavsea draw.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:05 am

There's no question that if we continue on our current rich run of form, we are not going to be a million miles away but my feeling is that we will come up short by maybe nine points or so. As the poster above indicated, we actually lost any chance of the league title in the first ten games or so.
I wonder what would happen if we were to get close, really close to winning it. Would those who claimed during those first few games that "the league is not won or lost after five games" etc at least concede then that messing around with the team selection/formation/style of play in the first couple of months of the season was infact folly?
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:10 am

We shouldnt concern ourselves with such talk. And im glad the players arnt doing this.

All we have to do is keep our run going and hope the teams around us slip up.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Barca Murph » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:01 pm

The Manhattan Project wrote:We'll know more after tonight.

I would expect Man Utd to muller Watford.

But Chavsea may find Blackburn tricky, although I expect Blackburn to roll over and surrender to Chavsea, like most other teams do.

Two defeats for Man U and Chavsea would be cool, but I expect a United win and at best a Chavsea draw.

I have a feeling Chelski will have to settle for a draw tonight. But i'm sure you boys will be happy with that.
Barca Murph

Postby stmichael » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:27 pm

I'll never criticise positivity, but this season has given me a massive shot of realism about the relative strengths of our squad. I'm cautiously optimistic about the future because I think we have everything in place to win the league bar about 3 or 4 players. However, this next step is going to be the most difficult as those 3 or 4 players all need to be exceptionally talented and make an instant impact. Furthermore, we will only get those players if our as yet unproven new owners give a level of financial backing to Rafa in the transfer market that we could hitherto only dream about. Those are two very, very significant provisos and I'm not going to get carried away until I see them met.

I really felt this was going to be our year - and in many ways it should have been: Chelsea have faltered and Arsenal are still in transition (both scenarios I anticipated this season). Our 82 points-accumulating squad was the perfect foundation for a title challenge this season, regardless of United getting Indian summers out of Scholes and Giggs. However, the bottom line is that Rafa did not spend well enough to build on what we achieved last year.

Of course there have been other extenuating circumstances for our poor form and results this season, not least tiredness and injury after the near 12 month campaign of last time around. However, £25m should have added more to our title tilt than it has done. Rafa obviously gambled on prioritising quantity over quality, and it failed to pay off. Now it should be obvious to all that we need first team players of established pedigree. It certainly is to Rafa, judging by the comments he made in the light of the takeover last week.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion