The title race thread - Whare d'it go?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:33 pm

s@int wrote:
bigmick wrote:It really is most strange. There wasn't a single post on the thread which was in the least bit offensive, not a cross word was exchanged. To recapp, Kewell started the thread and a couple of people were worried it'd be a jinx. I said I wasn't, and that I was happy to launch the good ship "we are officially in the title race" or something like that anyway. I made the point that even if we lost our next ten games and finished sixteenth, we have already done enough in my eyes to have actually challenged this season.

I asked how we might sustain the challenge, and hoped for sonsistency of selection, more ruthlessness when 1-0 up and avoidance of injuries. I also said that I wasn't changing my opinion, we were officially in the race and we'd go very very close.

LFC came on and said that it was far too early to call it yet, and that if we were right up there after Christmas then we could call it a title challenge, the league has only just started etc etc (sorry if that's not on the button I'm just going from memory here). Ace quoted him and said he was spot on.

I came back and said fair enough, but in my eyes we were already in a challenge and in the meantime I'd man the ship until everyone was on board and we could cheer the lads home.

Broadly that was about it, but it got deleted. Very very strange end to a potentially very promising thread, but there you go.

You happy clappers ..... you're all the same  :D

I've got to be careful S@int because I'll be accused of being negative again as I was the other night  :laugh:
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:36 pm

bigmick wrote:No problem Leon about deleting it, just wondering though why did you do it? Were you going for the quote button with the "top post that Mick" already typed in and did you just hit the wrong button, or you just thought "feck that, I'll delete it?" without actually reading it. Just out of curiosity like.

I read it and cringed at perceivable posotivity, worried about the jinx factor, didnt like the idea of shouting out our chances.

So I abused my power as a moderator and deleted it.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:37 pm

Dr.evil :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:39 pm

bigmick wrote:
s@int wrote:
bigmick wrote:It really is most strange. There wasn't a single post on the thread which was in the least bit offensive, not a cross word was exchanged. To recapp, Kewell started the thread and a couple of people were worried it'd be a jinx. I said I wasn't, and that I was happy to launch the good ship "we are officially in the title race" or something like that anyway. I made the point that even if we lost our next ten games and finished sixteenth, we have already done enough in my eyes to have actually challenged this season.

I asked how we might sustain the challenge, and hoped for sonsistency of selection, more ruthlessness when 1-0 up and avoidance of injuries. I also said that I wasn't changing my opinion, we were officially in the race and we'd go very very close.

LFC came on and said that it was far too early to call it yet, and that if we were right up there after Christmas then we could call it a title challenge, the league has only just started etc etc (sorry if that's not on the button I'm just going from memory here). Ace quoted him and said he was spot on.

I came back and said fair enough, but in my eyes we were already in a challenge and in the meantime I'd man the ship until everyone was on board and we could cheer the lads home.

Broadly that was about it, but it got deleted. Very very strange end to a potentially very promising thread, but there you go.

I've got to be careful S@int because I'll be accused of being negative again as I was the other night  :laugh:

Either that or just talking sh,ite!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:44 pm

Number 9 wrote:
bigmick wrote:
s@int wrote:

Either that or just talking sh,ite!

yea u'd know about talking shiit...  :shifty
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:51 pm

I said in the match thread that we looked like title contenders in the first half, and even though we allowed Bolton back into the game second half , I get the feeling that even though we still havent given of our best for a full match yet, the best is yet to come. We are starting to look as if we CAN actually stay the distance, whether or not we win it.

Torres is on his way back to fitness, and if we can start putting away a few of those BETTER than half chances, someone somwhere is going to get a thrashing. I don't think we can really say we have mounted a challenge yet, but we have certainly done more than hang onto their coat tails so far this season.

My biggest worry now is that we seem to be lacking a few decent replacements if people get injured/need a rest. Left and right back and Left AND RIGHT WING being along with Reina problematic to fill.
account deleted by request

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:05 am

yes, sunk without a trace.
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:08 am

please delete
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby Rush Job » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:45 am

Does anyone know how many points the leaders (arsenal) had after this many games last season?
The reason I ask is apart from the stoke and spurs games we`ve hardly put a foot wrong, at the start of the season you would have thought finish above the mancs and you`ll win the title, not so sure about that now though.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:53 am

Rush Job wrote:Does anyone know how many points the leaders (arsenal) had after this many games last season?
The reason I ask is apart from the stoke and spurs games we`ve hardly put a foot wrong, at the start of the season you would have thought finish above the mancs and you`ll win the title, not so sure about that now though.

No. But it's quite quick to find out.

07/08 Arsenal P13 W10 D3 L0 F29 A11 PTS 33 (GD +18)
08/09 Chelsea P13 W10 D2 L1 F32 A4 PTS 32 (GD +28)
08/09 Liverpool P13 W10 D2 L1 F21 A8 PTS 32 (GD +13)

And for the record, we're four points better off than in the corresponding fixtures last season. We're also on our best Premiership start ever and well placed to set new records - even if they don't result in the title

It's very interesting to see where the big four have dropped points, well less so Arsenal as they're dropping them everywhere.

LIVERPOOL (7 points)

Tottenham (a) 3 points, Stoke (h) 2 points, A Villa (a) 2 points

CHELSEA (7 points)

Liverpool (h) 3 points, Man Utd (h) 2 points, Tottenham (h) 2 points

MAN UTD (12 points)

Liverpool (a) 3 points, Arsenal (a) 3 points, Chelsea (a) 2 points, Newcastle (h) 2 points, Bitters (a) 2 points

ARSENAL (16 points)

Stoke (a) 3 points, A Villa (h) 3 points, Hull (h) 3 points, Fulham (a) 3 points, Sunderland (a) 2 points, Tottenham (h) 2 points

Only Man Utd haven't dropped points against Tottenham, because they haven't played them yet. Our dropped points are disappointing, the mancs showed yesterday how important an early goal can be against a side like Stoke and we had our's scratched off incorrectly. Visiting sides set their stalls out to keep it tight and not concede an early goal, the difference in results shows as an early goal resulted in 5-0 for the mancs while a first half goal chalked off resulted in 0-0
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:25 am

Like i've said for the most of this season , we're all abit scared that we could actually be challenging let alone win the fecker . It's all abit silly i know saying we'll jinx it if we blow our own trumpet to loudly . The thing is though football and football supporters are  not the most balanced individuals when it comes to there team ,so we look for anything that's going to help the teams chances. It is ridiculous i know and i'll apologise for saying that this thread will jinx us , but it was meant in good faith .

I/we are all so desperate to win number 19 that we'll clutch at any straws to help us get there . What i think we should do is agree a set date say JANUARY 1st 2009 when we really all start to discuss challenging and winning the frigin thing . If we are stilll in it by then , then lets start to really get our collective sh!t together and debate / discuss the thing until we do do it. Until then me personally ,i'm going to take each game as it comes (apologies for the cliche') and quietly get more and more convinced that this is the real deal .
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby KennyisGod....still » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:05 pm

would the middle of next may be too early to mention it?? :D
Stu Averill, a wannabe Scouse/Scot. I remember the good times & have faith in them comin back

Beside the Hillsborough Flame, I heard a Koppite mournin, "Why so many taken on that day?" Justice has never been done. But their memory we'll carry on. There'll be Glory Round The Fields Of Anfield Road
KennyisGod....still
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:32 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:Like i've said for the most of this season , we're all abit scared that we could actually be challenging let alone win the fecker . It's all abit silly i know saying we'll jinx it if we blow our own trumpet to loudly . The thing is though football and football supporters are  not the most balanced individuals when it comes to there team ,so we look for anything that's going to help the teams chances. It is ridiculous i know and i'll apologise for saying that this thread will jinx us , but it was meant in good faith .

I/we are all so desperate to win number 19 that we'll clutch at any straws to help us get there . What i think we should do is agree a set date say JANUARY 1st 2009 when we really all start to discuss challenging and winning the frigin thing . If we are stilll in it by then , then lets start to really get our collective sh!t together and debate / discuss the thing until we do do it. Until then me personally ,i'm going to take each game as it comes (apologies for the cliche') and quietly get more and more convinced that this is the real deal .

Spot on.

Can we talk about (it) from around MAY 1st on though instead! And only if there is, say a 9 point gap ahead of the pack!! - Just to be sure like...  :D

Seriously, its folly to be even speculating what could happen. Dream, hope and pray (if so) all you like...Nothing is decide yet. Nowt, nadda, nish - Zip! ZILCH! Absolutely f*ck all.

One thing is for deffo - and that you can guarantee, that the usual suspects (even Arsenal?) will all be thereabouts - we have to maintain at least parity regardless of whom drops the odd point here and there. Lets face it, Liverpool WILL also shed 'water' somewhere along the long line between here and the middle of May. The situation presently sees us hanging on in games we dominate in for uncomfortably long periods and while that can be translated as the hallmark of champions (indeed it possibly is...) especially if the full haul is gained from those games. We simply do not (clearly) have the resources to cope in a real crisis. Should, if/when that occurs. The positives far outweigh the negatives from previous campaigns and the signs are there...particularly in the garnering of points off the other top sides, overall we can definately say up until now, Rafa has and is challenging for the prize. Similarly, we have also had our share of luck (what champions dont?) But lets not count any chickens and just, as others have sensibly countered...carry on, one game at a time. You can only hope that Chelsea and United drop something as well. Because they will be close come the last knockings.

So far, so very good - made up. But lets not get ahead of ourselves. Of course its been an intolerably long wait for #19 and many (who can blame 'em) are biting at the knuckles to see Liverpool back on their 'perch' again. Me an all...

FULHAM -H
WEST HAM -H
BLACKBURN -A
HULL -H
ARSENAL -A
BOLTON -H
NEWCASTLE -A

Our remaining 7 League fixtures until New Year - i see no justifiable rason for not taking at least 17/18 points off those fixtures. That should see us over the halfway stage 'in contention' - and thats going to be good enough for me - like i said, until MAY!!!

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Number 9 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:44 pm

bigmick wrote:No problem Leon about deleting it, just wondering though why did you do it? Were you going for the quote button with the "top post that Mick" already typed in and did you just hit the wrong button, or you just thought "feck that, I'll delete it?" without actually reading it. Just out of curiosity like.

If he goes for the"Top post mick" scenario I will chew my own eyelids off! :laugh:  :laugh:
Mick i :censored: love you...yeah i take the :censored: but you are good for it and deserve all I throw at yoU are liked a small headed Sabre!!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:56 pm

I'm still waiting for us to hit our normal rocky patch at this point in the season.To be honest i think we are more likely to slip up at home this season than away from home because of the way teams come to Anfield and some of the problwems we have breraking teams down.

But to be honest the way Rafa is sticking with a more settled team in the league more than ever i am actually going into matches being confident about a positive out come and can't see us getting beat.When you think of the dissalowed goal against stoke and how we dominated spurs we could well be ahead by now but i suppose you can't win league's on what ifs
roberto green

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion