EPL Title race - 21/22

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby redshade » Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:09 pm

At the half way mark and table is gradually showing which teams will compete for the crown. Chelsea have recently drifted away but anything is possible and fortunes can change.
City are obviously the toughest side to compete with, their squad depth and quality surpasses all. When City are chasing they do tend to falter like they did when we won the title. However, when they build a comfy cushion that is when they seem unstoppable. It is difficult to compete with a team that goes on a crazy winning streak.

City potentially could be 6 points ahead of us with our game postponed. Pressure will be on us to chase them and with the Chelsea around the corner things will get even more crucial. For us to compete this season or claim glory will rely on how well we do Jan/Feb, our kryptonite in the calendar. It is going to be an interesting battle to claim the crown.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:35 am

Chelsea play us and then City two weeks later, then they have played their rivals home and away, they should have an easier second half… still not sure they have the legs. We play city in April so if they have gone on a long winning streak then it could be a tall order catching them. We walk on!
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:19 pm

Catching City will be a tough ask because they can go on crazy winning streaks, especially when they're on top like you said, but as long as we keep them at just one slip up away from losing their top spot I think we have a chance.

About the Leeds game being postponed, I though everybody made a deal that games during the Christmas period won't be canceled no matter what? Though I guess Leeds can be forgiven since they apparently have a huge number of covid cases plus a lot of injured players so they plrobably can't even field 11 players. It's a bummer that we won't watch our team play on boxing day, and it would have been nice to play a depleted Leeds squad with all their injuries (which is why City scored 7 past them), but on the other hand it's a good opportunity to rest everybody and prepare for a much thougher trip to Leicester only two days after Sunday, so I guess postponing this game isn't such a bad thing for us.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:34 pm

As good as city are they don't like pressure, the hard thing is being good enough to keep the pressure on them though, as others have said they are capable of going on long winning streaks which makes it very difficult to stay on their tails.
That year we won the title we opened a bit of a gap on them and all of a sudden they were under pressure to win every week and they folded. We need to find a way of applying similar pressure.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:06 pm

Not impressed with Leicester putting out a weakened team against City!! Looks like they've decided to play a strong team vs Us in the league Cup, rest them for City, then put out strong team out vs us again on Tues. Just glad we got a rest today so we can make them pay for this *****.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:28 pm

UvS xR4GEx » Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:06 pm wrote:Not impressed with Leicester putting out a weakened team against City!! Looks like they've decided to play a strong team vs Us in the league Cup, rest them for City, then put out strong team out vs us again on Tues. Just glad we got a rest today so we can make them pay for this *****.

You were right not to be impressed mate, Leicester are currently 4-0 down after 25 minutes.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:25 pm

4-3 they must have been embarrassed at HT.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:29 pm

Damn, 5-3
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:17 am

Would've been interesting had Leicester equalised.
City with a 6 point gap now, must win our game in hand.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:15 pm

Some good news, our Africans will be allowed to stay and play for us until after the Chelsea game.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:22 am

That's great, we definitely will need Salah/Mane for that match.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:10 pm

I think it's come to a point where we start lowering expectations from this club. I think the owners FSG target is to get into the top 4 with spending as little as possible then reap the rewards at the end of the season.

I think the more we think we can compete with Pep and his open cheque book, the more we're gonna end up being disappointed.

The fact we're on par with Chelsea with the amount of money they've spent the last 2 seasons is a miracle in itself.

It's clear we need to strengthen the squad, especially the Center Midfield.. and rumours are we're not going to make any transfers this January again. Last season not signing a CB when we were desperate cost us the title and nearly cost us even finishing in the top 4. There is no ambition from FSG to win the league here... I think trying to set up this Super League was proof that they are just using this Football club to make money.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:14 pm

I agree and I said it on the match thread, Klopp should be applauded for challenging City for the title and taking one off them. It as crazy to think that in order to compete with City you need 90+ points. A few blips and your already on thin ice, that is how difficult it is to complete these money pumped plastic team. We have done well in recent years and should be proud that we did manage to take one title off them. I've got no more expectations for the league this season, If we catch them up or not so be it.  I just would love it if we end the season with some silverware.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Penguins » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:27 pm

UvS xR4GEx » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:10 pm wrote:I think it's come to a point where we start lowering expectations from this club. I think the owners FSG target is to get into the top 4 with spending as little as possible then reap the rewards at the end of the season.

I think the more we think we can compete with Pep and his open cheque book, the more we're gonna end up being disappointed.

The fact we're on par with Chelsea with the amount of money they've spent the last 2 seasons is a miracle in itself.

It's clear we need to strengthen the squad, especially the Center Midfield.. and rumours are we're not going to make any transfers this January again. Last season not signing a CB when we were desperate cost us the title and nearly cost us even finishing in the top 4. There is no ambition from FSG to win the league here... I think trying to set up this Super League was proof that they are just using this Football club to make money.

Which I have said for YEARS but the FSG apologists have always been there...
American owners are always there for short term gains and never for long term investment. They will never spend any money unless we sell players and god knows where we'd be if not for the sale of Couthino.
I'm worried once Klopp leaves....
Of course this lot bought my favourite hockey team too :-(
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:25 pm

Just engrave the trophy and hand it to City.

We need to focus on a UCL spot now as teams below us are not far off. Few more blips and will be in a dog fight.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion