The run in - How many points?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

The run in - How many points?

80-83 points (Between 21 and 24 points out of 24)
23%
76-79 points (Between 17 and 20 points out of 24)
55%
72-75 points (Between 13 and 16 points out of 24)
20%
68-71 points (Between 9 and 12 points out of 24)
No votes
59-67 points (Between 0 and 8 points out of 24)
2%

Total votes : 60

Postby Toffeehater » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:39 pm

i think we will get 20 outta of 24 and that would be good , if we do , we will finish 10 points or less then the eventual winners , just wish some of those draws had been converted to wins and we'd be up there
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:47 pm

bigmick wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:If (and it's a big if) Rafa sticks with his current methods, which are the way to go imo, and will lead us on to win an EPL eventually.

However, depending on our results in this run in, we could even end up better off than I imagined,which is not winning the PL but coming close to it.

By the "current methods" Emerald, presumeably you're referring to the settled formation and much more minimal rotation. I pretty much agree with you (although typically my only gripe is I'd STILL like to see slightly less rotation :D).

Indeed, this is what I'm saying. Even though I'm obstinately pro Rafa, I don't have the blinkers on regarding Rafa's rotation policy. Rotation can be good...in doses, but at times he does tend to tinker too much. I haven't seen as much needless tinkering for a while now. Perhaps Rafa is on to something with his formation and tactics. He's realized the shortcomings of the squad, perhaps, and is now using the resources he has to their best effect. He's persisted with Kuyt. It is paying off tactically IMO. Using Kuyt as a wide man has given us a bit more stability and shape lately. He may not be scoring many, but I think Rafa is well aware of Kuyts ability and is putting him to better use in other areas. I think if we get a quality goal scorer to partner Torres next season, we'll be deadly.
Last edited by Emerald Red on Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby holylamb2006 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:22 pm

I went for 24 outa 24 :)

Just becuase i know we can beat all those teams !!!

But it'll be tough but its the best case scenario.
holylamb2006

Postby RedBlood » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:23 pm

i think we will get between 15 and 19 points

ands finnish within 10points on the winners
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:31 pm

... I wish we don't talk too much about our run ins or how many points we can get or whatever...just wait and see what happens... like rafa said if we dont' talk about it too much maybe we will do well... :)
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:14 pm

Depends, if we are clear of Everton and stay in the CL I'd support rafa to be resting players in league games. I don't think he should be trying to get the points total just to impress the board, it should be totally out of the question to sack him before next season.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:17 pm

As an exercise I've tried to speculate the points haul of the top 5 for the remaining fixtures and for us I've come out with 17pts from our remaining games.

That would leave us in 4th 3pts ahead of the bluenoses but 12pts off the eventual champions (the mancs  :angry: ).

For this season I'd take that and say to Rafa, 'take this new approach of minimal rotation into next season with a couple of quality signings' and maybe we'll be talking about how many points from our remaining games will we need to clinch number 19.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby holylamb2006 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:22 pm

'take this new approach of minimal rotation into next season with a couple of quality signings' and maybe we'll be talking about how many points from our remaining games will we need to clinch number 19

But he only left torres out of 2 games and the month was due to injury ....

That month was a blimp in form , was it not ..... Nothing rafa could of done than rest torres during the blimp.

And isnt this the reason why he used rotation at the start .... to us his full squad now ??
holylamb2006

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:41 pm

RUSHIE#9 wrote:As an exercise I've tried to speculate the points haul of the top 5 for the remaining fixtures and for us I've come out with 17pts from our remaining games.

That would leave us in 4th 3pts ahead of the bluenoses but 12pts off the eventual champions (the mancs  :angry: ).

For this season I'd take that and say to Rafa, 'take this new approach of minimal rotation into next season with a couple of quality signings' and maybe we'll be talking about how many points from our remaining games will we need to clinch number 19.

It may be a bit early to worry about next season, but I think that there will be a few clubs that will gamble with the extra cash they get from TV next season and strengthen their team. Villa, Spurs, Newcastle maybe even Everton will all be splashing the cash in the summer and trying to get closer to the big 4. We certainly can't take anything for granted for next season and I just hope we get the money to really strengthen our first team, rather than patching and mending our squad.
account deleted by request

Postby Owzat » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:05 am

I think a lot of you are being a tad optimistic, we've Arsenal and Man Utd away where Rafa's picked up zero points in the league and so that would leave us a possible 18 if that trend continues. So far 9 think we'll get 21 or more points which would involve winning at the mancs or goners and 15 think we'll drop only 7 points. I never did rate optimism much, realism would suggest we picked up one point against the goners and mancs at Anfield so prospects of picking up many at their's don't rank high.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:29 pm

I cant believe no one is botherd by these international friendlies coming up erm Italy v Spain just before the Everton game , Mashers going to play in Eygpt aswell for Argentina bit strange though that Tevez is not goin.

Im gonna be sh.itting myself that our players come through these games ok i can just see that Matterazzi havin a dig at Torres, im finding it unbeilievable that these friendlies are being played at such an important part of the season and with the champions league coming up on top aswell.

Lets kidnap Torres and Masher and lock them up until the Everton game :laugh:
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:23 am

DRAW vs Man Utd
WIN vs Everton
DRAW vs Arsenal
WIN vs Blackburn
WIN vs Fulham
WIN vs Birmingham
WIN vs Man City
WIN vs Spurs

20 points.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:35 am

NANNY RED wrote:Mashers going to play in Eygpt aswell for Argentina bit strange though that Tevez is not goin.

No surprise to me that fergie has some say in who plays friendlies, he's been doing it for years. I wouldn't be surprised if Scholes retirement coinciding with his new contract was no coincidence, perhaps offered a better pay deal if he retired from internationals...........
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:32 pm

Owzat wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:Mashers going to play in Eygpt aswell for Argentina bit strange though that Tevez is not goin.

No surprise to me that fergie has some say in who plays friendlies, he's been doing it for years. I wouldn't be surprised if Scholes retirement coinciding with his new contract was no coincidence, perhaps offered a better pay deal if he retired from internationals...........

OK for once Tevez has a proper excuse in that he got sent off in the last match for Argentina so he can't play but in general Fergie is much cleverer in dodging internationals.
heimdall

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:59 pm

heimdall wrote:
Owzat wrote:

OK for once Tevez has a proper excuse in that he got sent off in the last match for Argentina so he can't play but in general Fergie is much cleverer in dodging internationals.

That's all well and good but the fact is that their next competitive match is in June.  Are we really supposed to believe that dropping Tevez but not Masch for this friendly is vital to the team's preparations for a game that won't take place for another three months? ???
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion