THE OFFICIAL Harry Kewell thread - All discussion in here please

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby NANNY RED » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:29 pm

stmichael wrote:
ivor_the_injun wrote:
KRobbo10 wrote:IMO other than a defender we still need a skillful winger someone in the calibre of Ronaldo, SWP.

*bangs head on table*

:D

Do you mean the Shawn Wright Phillips who cant cross a ball  :no
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:33 pm

NANNY RED wrote:
stmichael wrote:
ivor_the_injun wrote:
KRobbo10 wrote:IMO other than a defender we still need a skillful winger someone in the calibre of Ronaldo, SWP.

*bangs head on table*

:D

Do you mean the Shawn Wright Phillips who cant cross a ball  :no

Or score with a free header when left unmarked at the back stick? ???

(Probably a bit harsh but SWP has got to be one of the most overrated players in England over the past few years.  Speaking of, what ever happened to Aaron Lennon? ???)
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:34 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:Offer him a one year extension in April/May time with seriously reduced terms. If he signs for somebody else in that time then he obviously isn’t that serious about staying here.

He'll be 30 in September 08. Potential injuries aside, just in terms of age his career at the top flight is almost over, I think he'd want a minimum 2yr contract from LFC or he'll end up looking for a last lucrative move to another club.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:08 pm

Bad Bob wrote:what ever happened to Aaron Lennon? ???)

he's still at spurs but his form has been somewhat indifferent to say the least.

both he and SWP are vastly overrated in that they have no end product. give me pennant or david bentley over them anyday of the week.

on bentley by the way, the lads a class act, and should be first choice right midfielder for england in capello's first game. reminds me a lot of beckham at a similar age.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ade » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:11 pm

If Kewell was a horse they'd do the humane thing and take him out and shoot him. He's gone, get rid.
Ade
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ade » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:15 pm

stmichael wrote:

he's still at spurs but his form has been somewhat indifferent to say the least.

both he and SWP are vastly overrated in that they have no end product. give me pennant or david bentley over them anyday of the week.

on bentley by the way, the lads a class act, and should be first choice right midfielder for england in capello's first game. reminds me a lot of beckham at a similar age.

Totall agree on Bentley, I'd have him in a heartbeat. Gudjohnssen too, or Deco - he's sposed to be up for a move from Barca, for one last big club (he's 30). We need that link man for Torres.

Still surprised that all the talk is that if we sell one striker it will be Crouch - i'd rather keep Crouch and sell Kuyt. Hard to think of a striker with so little talent given so much faith by a manager. he belongs in the same bracket as Heskey and Michael Robinson.
Ade
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:18 pm

peewee wrote:
s@int wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:
FFS a half fit Kewell is still miles better than a fully fit HARDWORKING Kuyt

Please Saint no Kuyt bashing, he is a world class player and the best forward we've had since Rush, if he has an off game, just grin and bare it.

The only reason Kuyt's not scoring 25 goals a season is because hes playing under orders from Rafa. (If thats the case maybe we should sack Rafa  :D  )

its because alonso isnt playing, we all know the best passer the premier league has ever seen would be setting them up on a plate for kuyt

You sad c*nt.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby holylamb2006 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:23 pm

give me pennant or david bentley over them anyday of the week.

Actually Bentley would be a quality buy in the January transfer window...

Good pace, good strike , quality cross , fit , adapted to the EPL
holylamb2006

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:25 pm

Kewell is our best attacking left-sided player, and unless we're going to spend some serious money on an alternative, he needs to stay.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:42 pm

Ade wrote:
stmichael wrote:

Totall agree on Bentley, I'd have him in a heartbeat. Gudjohnssen too, or Deco - he's sposed to be up for a move from Barca, for one last big club (he's 30). We need that link man for Torres.

Still surprised that all the talk is that if we sell one striker it will be Crouch - i'd rather keep Crouch and sell Kuyt. Hard to think of a striker with so little talent given so much faith by a manager. he belongs in the same bracket as Heskey and Michael Robinson.

Id love Deco here Ade still outstanding and with whats goin on at Barca at the mo could be a great move by Rafa to make a cheeky bid for him
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby holylamb2006 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:43 pm

Kewell is our best attacking left-sided player, and unless we're going to spend some serious money on an alternative, he needs to stay

Ye i wouldnt sell Kewell , i would opted to sell Pennant or Benayoun rather then sell Kewell ...
holylamb2006

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:04 pm

31/12/2007 17:41
Kewell Not Thinking Of New Liverpool Deal

Liverpool winger Harry Kewell is out of contract at Anfield at the end of the season, but the Australian is remaining focused on just keeping fit and staying in Rafael Betez’s side.

zoom - galleria  Kewell has been plagued by injuries during his four year spell with Liverpool and in the New Year will be free to discuss his future with other clubs.

He has figured in 11 out of the last 14 games for Liverpool games though and is clearly a favourite of Benitez.

On New Years Day Liverpool face Wigan, which Kewell will undoubtedly want to be involved in, to boost his chances of a contract renewal.

In a Liverpool FC magazine interview, Kewell explained his outlook on his future at Anfield.

He said: "The last four years have been hellish with one injury after another.

"But I can't even think about a new contract. That is what people have been talking about and saying about me, but I will tell the truth so the fans know the truth.

"And that is why I haven't honestly thought about it. I can't think about it at the moment.

"With my injury history and my record over the last two seasons, games and goals wise, I can look no further than the next match.

"That is all I am prepared to do. Take one training session at a time and do my best and give my all every time."

Kewell, who has been hit by a succession of groin problems, added: "Given my Liverpool career, and the way it has gone, all I want to do is take the chance that the manager is giving me.

"I want to repay him for that, and the boys who have helped me through, for sticking with me and not giving up.

"You don't want to know what I have been through in four years, with injury after injury. The places I've been mentally during all those times, it has been pretty dark."

Goal.com
account deleted by request

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:18 pm

Kewell should be offered a new contract at, as someone has already said, reduced terms. Maybe even a contract based on appearances although I doubt he'd go for that. He still offers us something and I thought he was excellent yesterday v's Man City. You can see the confidence coming back along with the fitness.
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:35 pm

All of our left sided options after Kewell are embarrassing. Riise and Aurelio are not left sided midfielders, Leto doesn’t look close to being up to standard and hasn’t the tools to get there, Babel looks like a lost sheep every time he starts on the left.

The only other guy that can do a decent job there is a right sided midfielder, Benayoun.

Kewell should be offered a 1 year extension (on reduced terms) in order to provide competition and backup for a new left sided midfielder or maybe a much improved Babel who makes the left side of midfield his.

KEWELL SHOULD BE HERE NEXT YEAR BUT SHOULD NOT BE IN THE STARTING 11.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:13 pm

stmichael wrote:both he and SWP are vastly overrated in that they have no end product. give me pennant or david bentley over them anyday of the week.

Pennant over SWP or Lennon? I'm not sure about that Saint to be honest. My feeling is I'd definately take SWP over Pennant, and almost certainly Lennon as well. I actually think our man is overdue (when he comes back) some sustained form. I know many will say he was playing well prior to his injury, but wide midfielders must score and create goals in modern football, and Pennant does neither anywhere near often enough for me.

He epitomises the nonsense of assists stats. Pennants assists are crosses from out on the touchline (which admittedly he does put a large number in) whcih the striker has to challenge for. Assists that I like from wide players are when your man gets in behind the full back and pulls it back from the the by-line, or when he cuts insiude and puts somebody in one on one. I personally have doubts about Benayoun, but I think he has offered more than Pennant. Obviously if Gerrard plays there, even those who are of the opinion that he is "wasted" on the right, would probably concede that he offers more than Pennant and Benayoun put together (certainly in terms of goals scored and created, he literally does).

At least in the cases of SWP and Lennon their pace and dribbling create panic in the defence. They create and add to the teams goal threat. Pennant for me doesn't do enough, and at the moment if we must play Gerrard centrallyBenayoun is first choice right-side in my view.

Sorry to get off the subject of Kewell, who it may well be worth trying as the second striker in behind Torres while Riise works the line left side. Riise will get you a goal from there and will run all day, while Kewell when stripped of all defensive duty might just find the key in difficult fixtures. He might last 90 mins there as well.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion