HARRY WILSON - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Pig Catcher » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:53 pm

Harry Wilson is having an excellent season in the Championship with Derby. Bring him into the first team squad next year? Another loan? Cash in and spend the money on someone else?

https://www.goal.com/en/news/harry-wilson-the-20m-player-with-his-eye-on-a-liverpool/18iecqagzr4mk1952lghc6et0i

Harry Wilson - The £20m player with his eye on a Liverpool first-team place next season

Ryan Giggs and Frank Lampard love him but can the Welshman convince Jurgen Klopp he has a place at Anfield?

It is getting on for two years since Adam Lallana gave an interview in which he was asked about the plethora of rising stars at Liverpool.

He had a few to choose from at the time. Trent Alexander-Arnold had recently made his Premier League debut, Ben Woodburn had become the club’s youngest ever goalscorer a couple of months previously, while Ovie Ejaria was a regular with Jurgen Klopp’s first-team squad at Melwood.

Lallana, though, chose to wax lyrical about another of the Reds’ teenage talents.

“I see great potential for Harry Wilson,” he told the cameras. “Everyone is talking about Ben, Trent, Ovie, but Harry keeps his head down, works hard, and I think he has a great future ahead of him. He has a great left foot.”

The world knows all about that left foot now. “The wand,” they used to call it at Liverpool’s Academy up in Kirkby, but Wilson has since taken his magic on the road, away from Merseyside.

Manchester United know what he can do, Southampton too. He impressed against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, and has been delivering for Wales on the international stage. Frank Lampard loves him and so does Ryan Giggs.

The question now is whether Klopp can find a place for him in his Liverpool squad.

Wilson’s loan at Derby could hardly have gone better. With 10 Championship goals, and 12 in all competitions, the Wrexham-born wideman is catching the eye on a weekly basis. He’s already putting together his very own ‘Goal of the Season’ compilation, with a series of sublime left-footed strikes from outside the area. His 30-yard free-kick at Old Trafford, surely, is the best of all.

Impressive stuff, though the idea that Wilson is a ‘highlights reel’ player has recently been dismissed by Lampard.

“Ten [league] goals is a great return, and his spectacular goals have been great on the eye but my biggest pleasure is seeing his performances in the past month,” said the Rams boss.

"His all-round game, the energy, the personality to receive the ball and be pivotal in the game has gone up a notch, and I think there are more notches to go.

"That is credit to Harry and hopefully he can continue that progress in the second half of the season."

Liverpool had the option to recall Wilson earlier this month, but chose to let him remain at Pride Park. They have tracked his progress closely through Julian Ward, their loan pathways manager, and have been delighted with the 21-year-old’s development. In Lampard, and particularly in Derby assistant Jody Morris, the Reds have found coaches with both the patience and personality, as well as skill, to handle such a talent.

Wilson’s decision to snub other offers in the summer has paid off. He could, for example, have chosen Aston Villa or Stoke, big clubs with Premier League aspirations, fanbases and infrastructures. Both, though, have changed managers following underwhelming starts to the season. For a young player on loan, stability is key.

So, at Derby, he has been able to find his feet in a vibrant, possession-focused team. Lampard has used him on both flanks, as well as centrally as both a No.8 and a No.10. No wonder Wilson’s all-round game has come on. Remember the callow teenager who struggled in League One with Crewe three years ago? He's been replaced by a confident, decisive attacker who makes an impact almost every time he steps onto the field.

Suddenly, Liverpool have a huge asset on their hands. Wilson will return to Merseyside in the summer hoping he can be a part of Klopp’s plans for the future. Given his performances in the second half of last season at Hull, and before that as the free-scoring captain of the Under-23s, he could hardly have done more.

So far, he has managed just one senior appearance for the Reds, as a substitute against Plymouth in the FA Cup back in January 2017. He impressed during the last pre-season, but the presence of Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane, and the signing of Xherdan Shaqiri, meant that a loan made more sense than a year on the fringes of the first team.

It’s proven to be a good decision, for all parties. Wilson will play for Derby at Accrington in a televised FA Cup fourth-round tie on Saturday, and his next appearance will be the 50th of his professional career. He is adding to his game by the week, getting stronger and fitter, learning about game management and the importance of consistency. He’s performing home and away, against Premier League opposition as well as Championship. His development is obvious.

What would Liverpool get if they chose to sell in the summer? Wilson signed an improved five-year contract before moving to Derby, and his value has rocketed since. He surely has a higher ceiling than either Dominic Solanke or Danny Ings, each of whom will fetch the Reds close to £20 million, and he will have no shortage of Premier League suitors next summer, you can be sure. Liverpool have already fielded enquiries from clubs asking to be kept in the loop.

A nice dilemma to have, for sure. For now, though, the debate can wait. Wilson has his eyes on a successful end to the season.

“I want to help Derby get into the Premier League,” he says. “I want to keep scoring and assisting, helping the team and getting us as high up the league as I can. I’m loving it.”

If he carries on as he has been, he’ll give Liverpool – and Klopp – plenty to think about in the coming months. A new signing? Not quite, but the Reds have built themselves a £20 million footballer, for sure.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pig Catcher » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:19 pm

All of Wilson's 12 Goals so far.

Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:21 pm

Got a bit of class about him that lad, reminds me a bit of Ray Kennedy
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:27 pm

I'd like to see him have another year at Derby. He's getting plenty of game time, and you can see he's improving as the season goes on. I'd hate to see him just picking up the odd game here and there which would ruin his progression.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:15 am

Great video of a great lad, get him in the first team squad and rotate him with Mane. Send Fat Frank two other bright prospects, he’s obviously a willing and cooperative manager.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:23 pm

Derby play Accrington in the Cup at half 12, it's on the telly, Harry should be playing so it might be worth a watch.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:52 am

He definitely has a sweet left foot
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:06 pm

Another belter from Harry Wilson. Watch it on MOTD tonight.
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby damjan193 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:24 pm

What a goal that was. Two goals in two games now for him. Should give him a chance next season, would give us a different element with his long range shooting.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:34 pm

I think he's abit of a luxury player.. In preseason he kinda went missing in long periods of the game and at Liverpool you can't do that unnoticed especially with this current team. I think Bournemouth is his level as of now.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:31 am

Reminds me of Fernando Torres to be honest, he always knows where the goal is etc..
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:46 pm

Great that he is doing well and especially in the prem. That free kick was a belter !!.

Hopefully he gets stronger and stronger and the season goes on.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:33 pm

UvS xR4GEx » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:34 pm wrote:I think he's abit of a luxury player.. In preseason he kinda went missing in long periods of the game and at Liverpool you can't do that unnoticed especially with this current team. I think Bournemouth is his level as of now.

That’s how he was with Derby - scoring of great goals but needs to do more in regards assists etc he is out of the game more than he is in - but he has the ability
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:20 am

Could play a super sub role for us when we play a deep defending team that we cannot break down, those long range shots and free kicks could come in handy. Playing teams like those we will not really need three hard working midfielders so he could do a job for us in those circumstances.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion