ROBBIE KEANE: Official Thread - All discussion here

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LFC1982 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:53 pm

He'll still be class, he and Nando will strike up a partnership soon enough, people need to remember we're not playing that well at the moment, unbeaten and a point off top whilst our 2 main strikers haven't contributed much (Nando's goal at Sunderland), so things can only go from strength to strength!!!

Hope I'm not wrong and he does in fact turn into Ronnie Rosenthal :D
LFC1982

Postby Reg » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:41 pm

Why´s Legsbarnes been banned - what did I miss? :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby destro » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:38 pm

Can we just put one thing to bed maybe with the help of one of our in house Stattos.

Has Robbie generally been a slow starter at all the clubs hes been at ? I keep hearing different theories on this and I am to lazy to look for myself :p
destro

Postby Number 9 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:47 pm

destro wrote:Can we just put one thing to bed maybe with the help of one of our in house Stattos.

Has Robbie generally been a slow starter at all the clubs hes been at ? I keep hearing different theories on this and I am to lazy to look for myself :p

If I remember right it was mid September before he hit his first League goal for Spurs just last season!
After that he got plenty and had a good season.There was very little between him and Berbatov last season in terms of minutes on the pitch to goals ratio.
Basically he's a confidence player like most strikers are,he needs a goal.It does'nt matter if its against Crewe or Everton whether its a 2 yard tap in into an open net or a 30 yard screamer!
Once it comes a weight will be off his shoulders and he can relax and play his game.
The goals will come!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Yooj Bigullz » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:50 pm

A couple of months time from now people will forget he struggled to score early on.
Yooj Bigullz

Postby Emerald Red » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:49 pm

Some whoppers flying about here.

"Keane the new Diouf." "Keane's a flop." "Keane is Benitez' Heskey." "Keane promised to turn water into wine and didn't deliver."

Look at Keane's past record. He's scored goals wherever he has went, but much more than that, Keane will put in a shift where most other strikers aren't willing to. He'll chase and harass for 90 minutes if needs be. If he gets kicked, he moans a bit on the ground, but then gets up again and gets right back at it. Now, let's put things into context here. United just spent 30 million pounds on a primadonna player that doesn't want to know once he gets a hard tackle put into him. He sulks, doesn't pull his socks up and get on with it. A lazy player that often throws temper tantrums when he doesn't get his way. 30 million pounds for that shower of shyte. You all know who. Personally I'd take the player who'll work his bollox off for 90 minutes to try and get a goal and do other useful things on the field, than one who can't be arsed if things aren't to his liking. Rant over.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:58 pm

destro wrote:Can we just put one thing to bed maybe with the help of one of our in house Stattos.

Actually, if you put much credence in stats, Robbie's lack of goals thus far is about par for the course:

2000/2001...first scored for Leeds on Sept. 1st.

2001/2002...first goal for Leeds on Sept. 16th.

2002/2003...scored for Leeds on opening day (Aug. 17th) but then moved to Spurs on deadline day, where it took him five matches until he scored (Oct. 10th)

2003/2004...didn't score until Sept. 24th...in the League Cup

2004/2005...scored his first goal for Spurs on Sept. 22nd...in the League Cup

2005/2006...scored against Villa in the Prem on Sept. 17th

2006/2007...broke his duck in the UEFA cup on Sept. 28th

2007/2008...scored in the UEFA Cup on Sept. 20th

LINK

Looks like Robbie's a bit of a late bloomer each season. Sounds like tonight's a golden chance to get him off the mark, though--he seemed to like opening his account for Spurs each season in the cups. :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby destro » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:59 pm

Emerald Red wrote:Some whoppers flying about here.

"Keane the new Diouf." "Keane's a flop." "Keane is Benitez' Heskey." "Keane promised to turn water into wine and didn't deliver."

Look at Keane's past record. He's scored goals wherever he has went, but much more than that, Keane will put in a shift where most other strikers aren't willing to. He'll chase and harass for 90 minutes if needs be. If he gets kicked, he moans a bit on the ground, but then gets up again and gets right back at it. Now, let's put things into context here. United just spent 30 million pounds on a primadonna player that doesn't want to know once he gets a hard tackle put into him. He sulks, doesn't pull his socks up and get on with it. A lazy player that often throws temper tantrums when he doesn't get his way. 30 million pounds for that shower of shyte. You all know who. Personally I'd take the player who'll work his bollox off for 90 minutes to try and get a goal and do other useful things on the field, than one who can't be arsed if things aren't to his liking. Rant over.

That sounds like you are describing Kuyt !!  :laugh:

I have no worries that Keane will come good, I just wanted to know if he was a slow starter or not. Hopefully he will get a hat full tonight
destro

Postby banana » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:00 pm

banana wrote:I have already said it and received massive criticism;

Keane is average.

Spending 18 millions on that is ridiculous. With 18 millions you expect a young quick hungry striker with good attitude and winner mentality.

Evans had Heskey
Houllier had Diouf
Now Benitez may have made a similar mistake (which will cost him his manager job eventually?)

So you still wanna prove me wrong on this ff? I spot this immediately. Some need years to open their eyes.

Congrats; we have two Kuyts!
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:37 pm

banana wrote:
banana wrote:I have already said it and received massive criticism;

Keane is average.

Spending 18 millions on that is ridiculous. With 18 millions you expect a young quick hungry striker with good attitude and winner mentality.

Evans had Heskey
Houllier had Diouf
Now Benitez may have made a similar mistake (which will cost him his manager job eventually?)

So you still wanna prove me wrong on this ff? I spot this immediately. Some need years to open their eyes.

Congrats; we have two Kuyts!

That’s a huge exaggeration as Keane is a decent striker, better than the ones you listed. But I do think the signing of Keane will cost Rafa dearly, it was completely the wrong signing at a hugely inflated price, even if the price was half what we paid we shouldn’t have bought him as he is the wrong player for us at the moment

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:58 pm

Telling praises about Torres after a wonderful season is easy.

But I'll defend a player, Keane that hasn't scored yet. When I watch the games in TV, I focus most of the time in our players, so, more often than not, players from other teams coming here are only a vague idea in my mind, unless he's a player that has played before in Spain or World Class.

Despite I'm not fast to judge players in few games, I've liked Keane so far, ok he's expensive but that's the market's fault. He is strong, He always seems to know what's he's going to do before receiving the ball and he accordingly often makes good orientated control, he seems a good player to me.

Much better than Bellamy, and far more useful than Morientes to work outside the box.  Also despite I've heard an interesting post of a relatively new member in the lines that in the past Keane had strong players that made a lot of job for him, I think he'll be able to be a good Torres partner. Even if Torres forte isn't to link up with a partner striker, Torres is very watched and a mildly clever player might take advantage of it. Keane seems to be mobile and clever enough to do that. Crouch instead perhaps lacked that mobility, and Kuyt lacks the instict. I wouldn't be surprised if this lad starting scoring a lot soon!! but in football you never know, and not every player responds well to the big club pressure.
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:10 pm

Sabre wrote:Telling praises about Torres after a wonderful season is easy.

But I'll defend a player, Keane that hasn't scored yet. When I watch the games in TV, I focus most of the time in our players, so, more often than not, players from other teams coming here are only a vague idea in my mind, unless he's a player that has played before in Spain or World Class.

Despite I'm not fast to judge players in few games, I've liked Keane so far, ok he's expensive but that's the market's fault. He is strong, He always seems to know what's he's going to do before receiving the ball and he accordingly often makes good orientated control, he seems a good player to me.

Much better than Bellamy, and far more useful than Morientes to work outside the box.  Also despite I've heard an interesting post of a relatively new member in the lines that in the past Keane had strong players that made a lot of job for him, I think he'll be able to be a good Torres partner. Even if Torres forte isn't to link up with a partner striker, Torres is very watched and a mildly clever player might take advantage of it. Keane seems to be mobile and clever enough to do that. Crouch instead perhaps lacked that mobility, and Kuyt lacks the instict. I wouldn't be surprised if this lad starting scoring a lot soon!! but in football you never know, and not every player responds well to the big club pressure.

Sabre trust me mate he is an excellent footballer,one of the best strikers in and around the box with the ball at his feet there is in the League..hes a tidy player and can score all sorts of goals!
He has a lot of pressure on him at present,hes moved to one of the biggest clubs in the world,a team he supported as a boy and its a huge monkey on his back that he has not scored a goal yet!
I feel for him TBH..but I know the goals will come!

He's fresh and just out of the wrapper at LFC,Torres is on his way back to form and will get there!
When Nando finds his shooting boots again and Keane gets the monkey off his back we will be fine.
They had 50 odd goals between them last season in the best League and toughest competitions in the world..that class does'nt just go away!

People need to be patient,we've done OK with our two strikers under par...wait till they get going!
And they will! :nod
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:58 am

Here are the minutes and appearances on the pitch BEFORE the game selected Liverpool players first scored in ie doesn't include the minutes into the match in which they first scored

Crouch - 18 appearances, 1226 mins
Keane - 9 appearances, 573 mins (IF he scores next appearance)
Fowler  - 8 appearances, 406 mins (second spell at Anfield)
Litmanen - 5 appearances, 327 mins
Heskey - 4 appearances, 359 mins
Kuyt - 4 appearances, 257 mins
Riedle - 3 appearances, 261 mins
Morientes - 3 appearances, 256 mins
Mellor - 3 appearances, 187 mins
Anelka - 3 appearances, 137 mins
Torres - 2 appearances, 91 mins
Pongolle - 2 appearances, 56 mins
Cisse - 1 appearance, 90 mins
Baros - 1 appearance, 17 mins
Voronin - 1 appearance, 12 mins
Erik Meijer - 1 appearance, 2 mins (scored twice in the league cup against Hull)

Fowler - scored on debut (edit : thanks S@int)
Bellamy - scored on debut
Camara - scored on debut
Owen - scored on debut

The minutes are to help indicate if a player was only getting sub appearances, clearly Keane isn't getting quite as much mins per appearance on the pitch as Crouch did because he's made half the appearances but not notched up half the minutes (would be 663 if he had, so one whole 90 mins short)

Fair selection there, I've run out of time to add any more.
Last edited by Owzat on Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:34 am

Owzat wrote:Here are the minutes and appearances on the pitch BEFORE the game selected Liverpool players first scored in ie doesn't include the minutes into the match in which they first scored

Crouch - 18 appearances, 1226 mins
Keane - 9 appearances, 573 mins (IF he scores next appearance)
Fowler  - 6 appearances, 295 mins (second spell at Anfield)
Litmanen - 5 appearances, 327 mins
Heskey - 4 appearances, 359 mins
Kuyt - 4 appearances, 257 mins
Riedle - 3 appearances, 261 mins
Morientes - 3 appearances, 256 mins
Mellor - 3 appearances, 187 mins
Anelka - 3 appearances, 137 mins
Fowler - 2 appearances (93/94, don't have the mins played but he started both)
Torres - 2 appearances, 91 mins
Pongolle - 2 appearances, 56 mins
Erik Meijer - 1 appearance, 2 mins (scored twice in the league cup against Hull)

Camara - scored on debut
Owen - scored on debut

The minutes are to help indicate if a player was only getting sub appearances, clearly Keane isn't getting quite as much mins per appearance on the pitch as Crouch did because he's made half the appearances but not notched up half the minutes (would be 663 if he had, so one whole 90 mins short)

Fair selection there, I've run out of time to add any more.

Man, you are one seriously sad anorak !!  :D
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Sabre » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:34 am

Camara - scored on debut

We need to recover back those players then, the stats say it, the stats are right!
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion