The media - They hate us

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:45 pm

hawkmoon269 wrote:
wrighty (not mark!) wrote:Yea, fcukin hate the papers when it comes to writing about Liverpool. i think the Mail is good though even though it does have the columnist who wrote that thing in the spectator bout scousers  :angry:

Wouldn't wipe me a.rse on the mirror and not to mention another certain paper *cough* *cough*

I stopped buying newspapers about a year ago.  I find you get a more balanced view if you read the stories online from several sources.

That, and you don't have to pay!!  :D

Tight ba.stard! that reminds me of this fella who comes into the waiting room in our reception just to read the papers. Once he's done, he just fcks off!unbelievable!
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 84-1106852058 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:14 pm

S.S,being an old b.stard like me,you should never be suprised at the sh!te written about our club in the press.Even when we were winning everything before us,we never got the acolades we deserved.Its not just the hacks of Fleet St.that are guilty,just look at the so called pundits on any channel.These pundits are usually ex pros who would have won more medals if they had joined the army.

The most succsessful manager in British football,Bob Paisley, was overlooked when it came to giving out Knighthoods.
If Bob had managed one of the London clubs,or Man Utd God forbid Iam sure his succsesses would not have been ignored by the powers that be.

Over the years this is something we have gotten used to,the Steven Gerrard saga took up more column inches than our European Cup win.Robbie Fowler was plagued with malicious stories in the press for years.During our darkest hours and in its aftermath[Hillsbourgh]the supporters of this club were hung drawn and quatered,not only by the press but by people who new the facts,and chose to ignore them.

Anybody reading this may say stereotypical whinging scouser,f.ck em Iam not bothered by any of it now.I hardly ever buy a Sunday paper nowadays they are rubbish from cover to cover.I agree with Supersub Chris Bascombe in the Liverpool Echo tells it like it is.As a local reporter I suppose he is open to accusations of local bias,what if he is its about time someone had a good word for us in the papers.
84-1106852058

Postby stmichael » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:26 pm

The majority of the media writers spout garbage these days so I just tend to ignore them. Most of them appear to have an agenda. The latest is Ian Ridley, who wrote an article in the Mail on Sunday basically slating Liverpool's recent signings and claiming thet we are "in financial turmoil".

For those who don't know who Ian Ridley is, he is a journalist who was very good friends with Gerard Houllier. As soon as Houllier got sacked he hasn't had a good word to say about us. Then to tip it all off I turn on Sky on Sunday and happen to catch a bit of Jimmy Hill's programme. Who's one of the guests? Only Ian Ridley, this time claiming that Manchester United should go all out to get Steven Gerrard in the summer.

It makes my blood boil. Screw the media. :angry:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 66-1120597113 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:38 pm

stmichael wrote:The majority of the media writers spout garbage these days so I just tend to ignore them. Most of them appear to have an agenda. The latest is Ian Ridley, who wrote an article in the Mail on Sunday basically slating Liverpool's recent signings and claiming thet we are "in financial turmoil".

For those who don't know who Ian Ridley is, he is a journalist who was very good friends with Gerard Houllier. As soon as Houllier got sacked he hasn't had a good word to say about us. Then to tip it all off I turn on Sky on Sunday and happen to catch a bit of Jimmy Hill's programme. Who's one of the guests? Only Ian Ridley, this time claiming that Manchester United should go all out to get Steven Gerrard in the summer.

It makes my blood boil. Screw the media. :angry:

:laugh: Ian Ridley must be on something!!As if Gerrard would ever pull on a UTD shirt.....never...He said he's with us for life and his words enough!!
66-1120597113

Postby Scottbot » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:40 pm

Sunday Times is just about the only one worth a read at the weekend. The tabloids aren't worth a damn but i still pick up the Express or the occasional Mirror out of habit. As for footballing knowledge. Let's be honest, you could write what the average football writer knows about footie on the back of a postage stamp. Writers are on a deadline every game so they spend half the match looking at their computer screen. The player ratings they come up with leave me completely baffled most of the time and are often influenced by another agenda. It's a story for the papers to go on about LFCc's struggles in the EPL and it's more of a story if they can single out players like Morientes and Crouch for criticism + singing the praises of Cisse (simply because it's a 'story' if he doesn't get much playing time.)

The papers are full of sh.it and always have been. Whoever said it was better to come on here or RAWK to get the views of a cross-section of fans was spot on.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:43 pm

Deffo. To me, this is just an online version of 'the Kop' magazine/paper
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:52 pm

I tell you what. I'll give my player ratings on this thread when I get back from Anfield tonight (be about 1am), and we can compare them with the papers on the morrow.
Interesting to see the difference.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:21 pm

An excellent post by the grumpy old git - pity he didn't take more time posting than wipping baby's :censored: and we'd have a much better forum. :D

The media have always had it in for us. Thats not being paranoid, thats a fact. The media like to build people up and then knock them down. The same applies to Liverpool. For years Liverpool were the bee's knees, now that they are not quite as good you hear stuff like "demise" and "crisis". Its based on kicking a man when he is down.

Man UTD will also get it once they enter their downward spiral, its the nature of things.

Its funny, but I don't remember the media being so hard on Arsenal in 1994/95 when they had a disasterous season. Of course, a lot of the old George Graham players got a lot of attention due to their drinking/drugs/gambling problems and old Georgie himself got cleaned out because of the bung scandal, but the media attacks were more against individuals rather than the club. Arsenal had a far worse season that year than we have had for 40 or 50 years, yet there was no talk then of "Arsenal in demise".

Lets face it, the London media hate us and Everton. They saw Liverpool and its fans as a crowd of Harry Enfield beer guzzlin scousers who used to come down to Wembly every second year while their precious Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham sides served up a constant stream of rubbish in the 1970s and 1980s. Now that we are not doing so well, many of them see it as payback.

Everton also get a raw deal and its hard to have sympathy there. :D
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby hawkmoon269 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:34 pm

JBG wrote:The media like to build people up and then knock them down.

I hate to say this, but David Beckham said this not so long ago.  But it'll not confined to just football, it happens thoughout British public life.  The British media are very fickle when it comes to it's heros!

Remember, they slated our chances of winning the CL, right up until the final.
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:56 pm

hawkmoon269 wrote:

I hate to say this, but David Beckham said this not so long ago.  But it'll not confined to just football, it happens thoughout British public life.  The British media are very fickle when it comes to it's heros!

I know, I nick all my best ideas from David Beckham.  :D
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby hawkmoon269 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:10 pm

JBG wrote:
hawkmoon269 wrote:

I know, I nick all my best ideas from David Beckham.  :D

Ohhh no....what's the world coming to!! David Beckham is the inspiration to someone over 12. (You are over 12, aren't you?  :D )
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:51 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:I tell you what. I'll give my player ratings on this thread when I get back from Anfield tonight (be about 1am), and we can compare them with the papers on the morrow.
Interesting to see the difference.

To kick-off the comparison ITV (andy townsend & ally mccoist ratings - i know they're cr@p but bare with me) gave 8 to carragher and luis garcia while the rest of the team got 7's, lets see how this compares to the papers tomorrow and Lando's ratings.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 2520years » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:59 pm

The paper's write whatever will provoke a reaction.  They've not been interested in the truth for decades.  The best thing to do is ignore them.  People in this country still buy more papers than in any other European country...I can't for the life of me understand why.
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby neil » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:07 am

they have always hated us, so what?
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby L-type » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:38 am

has anyone noticed how Chelsea has in their last 4 games have lost 2, drawn 1 and won 1.  And to even think Liverpool were in a crisis!!
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion