More media garbage

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:04 pm

I'm absolutely positive that the media have something against us as a football club. Every day I open up a paper and read another journalist slagging us off. Well to me it looks like we are starting to pi$$ the press off big time which has to mean we are doing something right.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport....v04.xml

....................................................................................

Perhaps the Premier League should do the decent thing and surrender the fourth Champions League position on the grounds that no team are good enough to occupy it.

Liverpool will argue that by surviving longer than Arsenal and Manchester United in this season's premier European competition, they are worthy of launching another challenge for a trophy they have captured four times. Domestic form suggests otherwise, though.

To be kind to the Merseysiders, they have been erratic during the injury-ravaged first year of Rafael Benitez's managerial tenure. To be cruel, they have fallen unacceptably below the level expected from a club who have invested so much in rebuilding.

Now they are threatening to emerge triumphant in a much-vaunted, but in essence embarrassing, race to finish "best of the rest" behind the undisputed Big Three.

The smart money is now on them to overhaul their neighbours Everton to claim what is a substantial prize for a "second division" contest.

Those hopes could have been wrecked at Anfield on Saturday by Bolton visitors who arrived with aspirations of improving their own claims to finish fourth, but who departed unfortunately pointless and nervously clinging on to what would be the first European qualification in their history.

Bolton had every incentive to give Liverpool a bloody nose after being insulted by the pre-match comments of Benitez to the effect that they play to a different set of rules than other teams.

"My players read that and were offended," said the Wanderers manager Sam Allardyce, after seeing an impressive Bolton performance undermined by Igor Biscan's late and undeserved winner.

"I just take joy out of the fact that if managers complain about my tactics it must be because I'm probably becoming a better manager than they are." Allardyce confessed to being "gutted" at the result after his team dominated a tense affair.

Stelios and Kevin Davies had efforts cleared off the line by Steve Finnan, Ricardo Gardner should have headed in a Gary Speed corner, while Kevin Nolan and Jay Jay Okocha were both denied by Liverpool's teenage goalkeeper Scott Carson, making his Premiership debut.

Liverpool were limited in attack and forced Jussi Jaaskelainen into only two serious saves before Biscan punished slack defending to profit from Djimi Traore's floating centre.

The unexpected 86th-minute strike sent a packed stadium into delirium.

....................................................................................

:angry:  :angry:  :angry:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby simic_ie » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:08 pm

I'd love to see any of the other media darlings survive with teh kind of injury list we've had this year!! I don't like using it as an excuse but jesus it's been farcical! The EVerton match was just comical! I would have laughed if it wasn't so serious
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:11 pm

That journalist should be reminded that every obstacle has been put in our way this year (outr top striker leaving on the eve of the premiership season, change in management, numerous injuries) and we will still claim a champions league place for next year.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:14 pm

simic_ie wrote:I'd love to see any of the other media darlings survive with teh kind of injury list we've had this year!! I don't like using it as an excuse but jesus it's been farcical! The EVerton match was just comical! I would have laughed if it wasn't so serious

Exactly.

Of course at the start of the season when the scum were without Ferdinand, Keane or Van Horseface and Arsenal were without Vieira, Campbell or Henry, the media all say "Oh' any team would struggle with them players missing".

Whereas we sold Owen, lost Cisse (season) Alonso (4 months), Gerrard (2 months), Kewell, Kirkland (until god knows when). We then lose Pongolle (when he was only on the pitch five minutes after coming on as sub until October) then Mellor, Garcia and Didi (for a month) followed by Baros and Morientes on and off.

Yet we have still managed to reach a cup final and the last eight of the champions league with many squad or fringe players and a manager in his first season in the premiership, yet we are still majorly underachieving.

Unbelievable.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:21 pm

take Henry, Viera, Cambell and cole out of Arsenal...they'd be right where we are...in fact they started losing when they only had Henry injured, enough said really!
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:01 pm

if they are saying give it to the team that deserves it, then even if everton finished 2nd they shouldnt get it.
ok, moyes is brilliant, everyone loves him, but have they played decent football?
have they won a game even this year?
All this 'boo hoo, look what we done with no money' is rubbish.
they got millions for shrek and then gave away that baldy to madrid, the latter proving to be the teams downfall.

it shouldnt matter anyways when we geth 4th spot but i wish these journos with nothing better to do would just shut up for five minutes instead
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:02 pm

it man united i feel sorry for, they have always been the darlings of the press but now chelsea have taken their crown they dont know what to do.
the press having sly jibes at us is nothing new, we`d win the european cup and all over the back page of the mirror would be a story about remi moses or peter davenport picking up a calf strain or something, so nothings really changed for us.
the press never liked the way we did business, keeping all our problems in house and not trying to court their favour, they only got the match to report on with us never any scandals.
most reporters are university types from middle england which has always been a hotbed of united support anyway.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:05 pm

true....our stars never really went out boozing and living it up unlike some others....in comparision, Gerrard, Owen (when he was here), Carra etc are quite boring in comparisson to Shrek and his granny bating habbits  :laugh:

thats why we arn't given the press....no one wants to read about highly paid footballers acting sensible!
Last edited by 7_Kewell on Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:21 pm

thats one of the things i admired houllier for. he could have signed anelka and bowyer, but knew they were just trouble. we have footballers, not thugs, and another thing to be mighty proud of
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:48 pm

The journos (aka Fergie's lackey) felt threaten by a resurgent and successful Liverpool as we will be challenging the status quo of the so-called "Big 3" next season. Imagine Manure and ARSEnal fighting for the scrap while rebuilding their team, and Chelsea self-imploded and Maurinho fu-cked off after just one season and Abrahamovic take his toys to play elsewhere...and the BS was so devastated by their failing to qualify for UEFA Cup that all luck deserted them...and they were subsequently relegated :laugh:

...and the sour grape Sam "we deserve to be above Liverpool" Alladyce finally got his wish come true and went above Liverpool...by coaching in Scotland :laugh:
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:51 pm

dawson99 wrote:thats one of the things i admired houllier for. he could have signed anelka and bowyer, but knew they were just trouble. we have footballers, not thugs, and another thing to be mighty proud of

...err not so fast buddy, you seems to forget a certain El Hadji Diouf ??
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:17 pm

seems some everton fans have fallen foul of the local press, on the front page of the echo it has a story about everton fans getting ****** and stoned on a coach and racially abusing people around the west brom ground in birmingham.
on top of the violence after the united game and the coin throwing incident in the same match these incidents are dragging the name of everton through the mud.
the echo article also mentions that the so called everton fans sang songs about the popes death and no surrender to the ira.
to older members of the forum this might seem ironic, religion has no place in football but if you went back before ww2 everton were seen as the catholic club and liverpool the protestant, but thankfully unlike some places it wasnt a social faux pas for catholics and protestants to marry each other in the city of liverpool and the club / religion line soon became blurred, thankfully.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby JBG » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:01 pm

Who were Chelsea 2 years ago?

A so-called second rate team looking to finish top of "Division Two".

Who finished 3rd 2 years ago? Newcastle.....look at them now.

I'm sick of this big 3 nonsense, if anything Chelsea make Arsenal and Man UTD look ****** this season.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:18 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:Who finished 3rd 2 years ago? Newcastle.....look at them now.

yeah i hear tonight that freddy shepherd has resigned and frank warren has taken over as chairman.

they've also signed that guy from bolton to join the training staff. amir khan i think his name is.

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby gabbyh » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:35 pm

Everton fans are having problems adjusting to the rarefied heights of being 4th in the Premiereship in 2005. Like in mountaineering, problems can occur near the summit due to lack of oxygen causing mental problems. I fear this is the same for EFC fans; they have got giddy due to their high position in the league and this is causing mental and behavioural problems. The last time they were successful was in the 80's, when the wit they employ now was commonplace enough to be accepted. Times have moved on, but they haven't.
It was ironical that Moyes said Everton deserved to be in the CL because it would show clubs in the same situation they were in last season, that it was possible for them too.
Everton lost. A fine example!! I think Everton have got so puffed up by their success that they forgot that teams near the relegation zone fight very hard near the end of the season, after all, they've done it often enough!
gabbyh

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion