Players and the media!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 67-1161385641 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:44 pm

Why do players find it necessary to have their say in everything? You've got Reina coming out and saying "Fourth place is the best we can hope for", out comes Carragher, who agrees, (shows a lack of passion and heart, but I'm used to that) now you have Riise coming out and calling Carragher and Pepe 'cowards'. The point being it's making me increasingly worried about the unity of the team as a whole, not only that, but is it necessary for all this talk? Would it not be best to stop this carry on, and have a good long look in the mirror at themselves and recognise who they are playing for and what the red shirt represents,I'm getting deeply angry with all this media talk, it's like Rafa stating the obvious all the time, if he knows we have a problem why not spend the time it takes conducting an interview with Skysports and BBC fixing the problem or making a think tank to solve the problems?

Thoughts please?
67-1161385641

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:50 pm

come on mate, surely you must know by now how the media works, do you really think riise uttered the words 'carra and reina are cowards"

of course he didnt, the press will twist what is actually said and expand it to make it sensational.

i am sure when players talk to the press they talk sense about the league etc but that wont sell papers as good as 'ashley cole takes it up the wrong un'
112-1077774096

Postby 67-1161385641 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:54 pm

The thing is, whilst I don't believe everything I read, I wouldn't be surprised if Riise did say that about the other two. I wouldn't be surprised at all, I just wish the players would keep quiet with regards to media and concentrate on getting the right results. The players surely know that by talking to scum papers like Daily Mirror, Sunday Mirror that they are opening themselves up for their words to be taken out of context?
67-1161385641

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:55 pm

Riise didnt call Carra and Reina cowards that was just more media spin. Riise said "We never give up. Cowards give up." He never mentioned Carra or Reina at all. Its already been discussed in the Benitez attitude thread.

As for the rest of your post I think you make some good points,I'm not sure but I think Rafa is contractually obliged to comment after a game. As for the players maybe its for money or to raise their profile? Its certainly not for the good of the club anyway.
account deleted by request

Postby redhayesy » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:31 pm

i don"t believe riise made any such comment! however thinking about it maybe the players need a "clear the air" debate-disscussion swear at each other whatever (all in private of course) anything that will lift individuals performances etc. & move on to winning the next game & get some consistancy which we are capable of with raffa leading us this i"m sure will happen sooner rather than later.then the scumbag media can go & :censored: stir somewhere else.maybe raffa can put a stop on all media -sky sports interviews with himself,staff,players for the time being in protest of the :censored: they print etc.
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Postby jkop » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:16 pm

redhayesy wrote:i don"t believe riise made any such comment! however thinking about it maybe the players need a "clear the air" debate-disscussion swear at each other whatever (all in private of course) anything that will lift individuals performances etc. & move on to winning the next game & get some consistancy which we are capable of with raffa leading us this i"m sure will happen sooner rather than later.then the scumbag media can go & :censored: stir somewhere else.maybe raffa can put a stop on all media -sky sports interviews with himself,staff,players for the time being in protest of the :censored: they print etc.

:nod  :D
Were not Brazil were Norn Iron.
          Faugh a Ballagh.
                YNWA
        Healy......Healy !!!!!
jkop
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:26 pm

nearly a month later and nothings any different. the media are not goin to disappear overnight, so get used to it. as im sure the players are aware. which makes it all the more pertinant that they give it a wide berth. the debate follows on from this one:

http://www.liverpoolfc-newkit.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=19478

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Houllier=LFC » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:00 pm

Players shouldnt shoot their mouth off saying we can only challenge for 4th spot when we are not even halfway through the season.
Houllier=LFC

Postby taff » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:17 pm

Firstly did they say that.  Or was it more like 4th is probably realistic but we are taking one game at a time hoping the others slip up etc.

I havent seen any links or the original interview but you can put a spin on anything if you look for it.  If they said we can still win the league that would produce even worse headlines. 

I dont agree with managers who block certain parts of the media either, I like the fact that Rafa says his bit and is reasonably honest about it all.  Its a fact of life that we all have to get used to like it or not.
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:26 pm

taff wrote:Firstly did they say that.  Or was it more like 4th is probably realistic but we are taking one game at a time hoping the others slip up etc.

I havent seen any links or the original interview but you can put a spin on anything if you look for it.  If they said we can still win the league that would produce even worse headlines. 

I dont agree with managers who block certain parts of the media either, I like the fact that Rafa says his bit and is reasonably honest about it all.  Its a fact of life that we all have to get used to like it or not.

interesting to note the omissions of the quotes from Reina and Carragher in this article:

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/cgi/NGoto/171344089?-11194

as opposed to the 'extended' version under the microscope.

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/cgi/NGoto/171382568?-11194

almost certainly a case of 'massaging' the facts to suit the cut of their cloth. in context i can fully understand Riise's position on it...i just disagree with the fact of any of them having to say anything of the sort in the first place outside of the dressing room- which is where these acts of 'dirty laundry' should be washed..should they of course be factually correct.
Last edited by red37 on Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:40 pm

Tbh its been something thats baffled me for years.
Why any player makes comments about upcoming matches and seasons expectations is beyond me.
All it does is provoke reaction and puts further pressure on the team in general.
I have never understood it, and think that the club should put a stop to it.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:49 pm

So fecking naive.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 67-1161385641 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:17 pm

A.B. wrote:So fecking naive.

Oh behave...I've never seen the point in players coming out and stating things in the press, their job is getting results on the pitch, not talking to the media, that side should be left to the clubs management.

I read an article earlier, which states Reina would be interested in a move to Valencia, I took it with a pinch of salt mind, but that's quite interesting.
67-1161385641

Postby dawson99 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:48 pm

all players love the media. they are 99% egotistical fools, its the money, money corrupts, people like the name in the paper. And you could never say u would not be interested in a move, as locked doors arent as easy to open as...unlocked ones
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:02 am

A.B. wrote:So fecking naive.

Who are you aiming that at ?

If you are going to post an insult, at least explain who you are referring to and what your point is.

Players talking to the media 99% of the time causes problems, and i think not only is it unprofessional it also undermines team spirit and authority at a club.

Explain why thats naive.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion