No smoke? - Without the media

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The Bench » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:56 pm

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_2879141,00.html

Interesting reading. We know that they're business men, but never saw us as a way in. Probably rubbish, but could be worrying. The yanks are great at makin the right noises,  but they may not be part of Liverpool for entirely the same reasons as us.

This is not me be anti takeover, thought we've needed it for a while and am so far well pleased with they've done for us. Just thought this should be out there for discussion.

Ps Can someone make the link live. I really don't know how. cheers
The Bench

Postby skatesy » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:00 pm

It just more third party rumour. I think it is pretty clear what is fact and fiction :)
skatesy

Postby Kharhaz » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:03 pm

Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Bench » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:04 pm

cheers Kharhaz
The Bench

Postby lakes10 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:30 pm

Its not the first time this has come out. they have the money and can spend it on who they like. it will have no effect on us.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:37 am

It's against the rules, so I wouldn't worry.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hello_red » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:07 am

As Lando said there are rules in place to prevent this kind of thing happening.
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:27 am

This thread, and hte comments inside are a classic example of the problems with people being led by the media.

Here is a tip - if you are looking at an article, best thing to do is ignore the title and the wording and look for the actual quotes.

Then see who the quotes are from and then make your own mind up.

NB Quotes from any of the following "our source" - "a source close to the club" or "our mole" should be disregarded immidiately. If a source cant be named, then its for a reason, and the reason is they dont exist or its a quote from an internet forum like this one.

Back to the article in question; there are two quotes:

""There is absolutely no truth whatsoever in the rumour that Mr Hicks is even considering investing in Roma football club," - this is from Roy Winnick who is Hicks' PA and press man.

And the other from the a shareholding company on Roma's official website saying the company had "been informed by a third party of the possible interest of an American businessman wanting to invest in AS Roma's capital".

The statement added: "As of yet, Italpetroli has not received, directly or indirectly, any interest nor offer from such investor, with the object of acquiring the majority package of AS Roma."

What I take from this article is that a journalist has seen the report on the Roma website, thought immidiately of Hicks, asked them and was told it was boll.ocks but published the story anyway as he fancied an early dart.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion