Players and the media!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:08 am

CharmlessMan wrote:
A.B. wrote:So fecking naive.

Oh behave...I've never seen the point in players coming out and stating things in the press, their job is getting results on the pitch, not talking to the media, that side should be left to the clubs management.

I read an article earlier, which states Reina would be interested in a move to Valencia, I took it with a pinch of salt mind, but that's quite interesting.

I think his comment was aimed at the players not you mate.
account deleted by request

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:11 am

Ace Ventura wrote:

Who are you aiming that at ?

If you are going to post an insult, at least explain who you are referring to and what your point is.

Players talking to the media 99% of the time causes problems, and i think not only is it unprofessional it also undermines team spirit and authority at a club.

Explain why thats naive.

I think his comment was aimed at the players not you Ace. At least that how I read it. There was nothing remotely naive about your comments.
account deleted by request

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:35 am

s@int wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:

If you are going to post an insult, at least explain who you are referring to and what your point is.

Players talking to the media 99% of the time causes problems, and i think not only is it unprofessional it also undermines team spirit and authority at a club.

Explain why thats naive.

I think his comment was aimed at the players not you Ace. At least that how I read it. There was nothing remotely naive about your comments.

You could be right mate....thats why i think if someone posts something like that, they should explain it better.

Knowing A.B i am sure he will  :D

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:02 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:
s@int wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:

Explain why thats naive.

You could be right mate....thats why i think if someone posts something like that, they should explain it better.

Knowing A.B i am sure he will  :D

It's aimed at the poster who started this thread. 99.9 percent of what is said in the media is twisted by journalists in some way shape or form.

It's been done so many times before and people still believe it.

A journalist could ask the question of whether nor not Riise believes that the fight is up for the title. He obviously said no but it's been understood as "Riise in a rift with Reina because they can't agree" because they way the article was written.

He was asked a question, he answered it and the journalist does what he wants with the quotes.

[Btw Ace, if I had anything to say to you I would had quoted you]
Last edited by A.B. on Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby jimbobjoe » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:04 pm

1 minute im going to the toilet
Cisse ,One of the greatest Liverpool Players to grace the earth
jimbobjoe

Postby A.B. » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:09 pm

jimbobjoe wrote:1 minute im going to the toilet

What the hell?  ???
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby jimbobjoe » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:11 pm

im bac now though:blues:  and im watching u:blues: :cool:
Cisse ,One of the greatest Liverpool Players to grace the earth
jimbobjoe

Postby 67-1161385641 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:14 pm

A.B. wrote:It's aimed at the poster who started this thread. 99.9 percent of what is said in the media is twisted by journalists in some way shape or form.

It's been done so many times before and people still believe it.

A journalist could ask the question of whether nor not Riise believes that the fight is up for the title. He obviously said no but it's been understood as "Riise in a rift with Reina because they can't agree" because they way the article was written.

He was asked a question, he answered it and the journalist does what he wants with the quotes.

[Btw Ace, if I had anything to say to you I would had quoted you]

That's nice, but that's not what I meant, is there any need for players to come out and say things to the press? It's bad enough when managers are doing countless amounts of interviews for television channels, newspapers and magazines. The players’ role is play football, instead of making lavish media interviews and I think with recent performances this season and gutless performances the players should cut out the media talk and concentrate on the football side of things and let Rafa deal with the media. I don't really feel it's necessary for Jamie Carragher to come out and state the obvious in the press, if he and the rest of the team know what the problems are, why don't they work on it in training and on the pitch, why is it necessary for him to come and state things in the media. Less talk and more walk are needed.
67-1161385641

Postby A.B. » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:17 pm

That's nice, but that's not what I meant, is there any need for players to come out and say things to the press?

Most of our players aren't c#nts, if they're asked a couple of questions they'll answered them. It's not as if they are asking for a press conference

Most players are interviewed before or after the game and there's hardly anyone that says "f#ck off".

Secondly, when players aren't saying sh!te there's always people wondering whether the players care or not. There's not a club where the players don't answer questions made by the media.

It's part of the modern game, it's part of being a professional player.
Last edited by A.B. on Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 67-1161385641 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:25 pm

Lavish press conferences with scummy tabloid papers are acceptable when you are performing on the pitch, but I feel that the players are not focusing on the pitch matter fully, the odd interview is fine, but when you're doing badly on the road and the players keep coming out with the same excuses and same old :censored: constantly, you've got to ask yourself the usefulness of them.

Pre match and post match interviews are acceptable, but what's the point in a player coming out two or three days after a loss or a win and stating the obvious in the press? It's not needed; the players should do the talking on the pitch and then answer questions.
67-1161385641

Postby A.B. » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:29 pm

CharmlessMan wrote:Lavish press conferences with scummy tabloid papers are acceptable when you are performing on the pitch, but I feel that the players are not focusing on the pitch matter fully, the odd interview is fine, but when you're doing badly on the road and the players keep coming out with the same excuses and same old :censored: constantly, you've got to ask yourself the usefulness of them.

Pre match and post match interviews are acceptable, but what's the point in a player coming out two or three days after a loss or a win and stating the obvious in the press? It's not needed; the players should do the talking on the pitch and then answer questions.

Once again, are the players asking for press conferences? You seem to think that Carragher took time out of his schedule to rant on in the press regarding our form.

As I said earlier, a journalist could had asked him what he thought about our away form or whatnot. Afterwards the journalist does whatever he wants with the player's comments.

In that sense you're naive. You do what the press wants, which is believe what they say.

I'm not saying that what Carragher said was made up but the way the article is set up is done so you would think that he phoned somebody at the Daily Mirror or Liverpool Echo and ran his mouth till dawn. When that isn't the case.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 67-1161385641 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:42 pm

I don't believe what's in a lot of press; I take these things with a pinch of salt. I don't know if Carragher approached the press or the press approached Carragher, either way Carragher, Reina and Riise could have declined to comment or said "the speaking will be done on the pitch". You’re making it sound as though they have to answer the questions they are asked when they do not have to answer anything. A lot of these press stories (yes they are twisted, I do know that) undermine the management, they do more harm than good, if a player wants to speak about how he is feeling, then shouldn't he go through the clubs official website?

I know that's not the case, but players set themselves up for these things by answering the questions, to me they give the press ammo to twist their words into an article/interview that more than often undermines the manager or can be open to dispute.
67-1161385641

Postby Ace Ventura » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:12 pm

I still think they should not bother answering questions, whether players at other clubs do it or not.
The example of Reina and Riise is one of the main reasons...the press ask what looks a harmless question to two seperate players gets different answers and twists things to make it look like there is a rift and that players arent all pulling together.
I think our club should put a stop to it and tell players they can only speak to the media on press conferences that the club has ok'd first.
Why should we allow lazy journalists an easy way of filling column space when they cant be bothered finding proper stories ?
Last edited by Ace Ventura on Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby joko » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:18 pm

i think you're not talking about general media here since the news were firstly issued by our official site

so it might be our press release expert who should take the responsibility for this antagonism inside
ImageImage Image
joko
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:17 pm

The thing is most players are just a few IQ points above simple and that is fine as they are paid to play football and not debate quantum physics. I agree that players should not give their opinions as most of the time they will say somthing stupid or something that will be easily twisted out of context. They should be relegated to nicely packaged statements like "we are taking it one game at a time" or "we are working hard in training" and leave the other information for the brain of the team (ie the manager or even pr man) to sort out as he is far better equipped to deal with the media.

So Charmless I agree, players should keep their mouth shut and worry about their football.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion