Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Bam » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:51 pm

Wrong time. :(

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:17 pm

Sabre wrote:
big test? against Iraq, South Africa, and New Zealand?     Torres should just fly in for the semis

South Africa is tougher than New Zealand and Iraq, perhaps South AFrica's level is similar to USA? I don't expect them to be exactly easy at their home.

Anyway by big test I meant the semis and the finals, not the training-easy games (known as pachangas in local footie slang) :D

As for this international break, just cross fingers. :(

I think I said this in the other thread, but wouldn't Pachenga time be a good time for youngsters like Bojan as well as chance for a fairwell bid from Raul (although I would guess he would want to do the real final one in the Bernabeau mp3 player  :D  ) and for long lost player like Guiza. and then hopefully Negredo or Villa will see more of the pitch than Torres. Nando only needs to start in the final, score the opener and then walk off pitch to his applause.  :D
JoeTerp

Postby Sabre » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:21 pm

Hehehe, I'd vote for that.

BTW that cup ends in June the 18th I think? if so it's not that terrible because he'd still have days to rest.

If we're at least second it will be nice because we won't have a competition game that early with the previous round of the CL.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:34 pm

I cannot stand international breaks.  They invariably happen when we hit top form and all too often one of our key lads picks up a knock.  Please let this time be different. :O
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:42 pm

Sabre wrote:Hehehe, I'd vote for that.

BTW that cup ends in June the 18th I think? if so it's not that terrible because he'd still have days to rest.

If we're at least second it will be nice because we won't have a competition game that early with the previous round of the CL.

you mean third right?  :p
JoeTerp

Postby Greavesie » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:31 pm

Can't stand international breaks, dont understand why they want our players focus to change to the World Cup.

My main concern is Torres, everytime he's been there he's came back knackered and it's beginning to p!ss me off, he's just starting to get a run of games and now this dam break comes up, why the hell is there a friendly as well?
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Madmax » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:22 pm

My main concern is torres just as greavsie said he doesnt look right and whenever he plays an international waste of time game he always comes back crocked up! Fingers crossed lets hope they all come back unscathed!

Would be good in mannure could pick up some injuries! Ronaldo with a broken leg!
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redbeergoggles » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:20 pm

I detest  International football  ,it serves no real purpose and only enhance's the possibility of injuries to key players .
I  hate it with a passion ,especially England and the hype the media surrounds them with .
I think the people  who follow the national team are without doubt the most shallowest, and most devoid of passion ever congregated ,and their knowledge of football ,I would liken to Newcastle fans belief, that they have the divine right to sit in the elite company of the top four without ever actually winning anything  (Misguided fools ) :(
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby KennyisGod....still » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:24 pm

i used to love internationals, harkin back to the days of Kenny, Hansen, Souness, Nicol regularly playin for the tartan army but now we hav no Scots i jus wish our players kinda neva got picked!! i remember the days when Jamie Redknapp used to regain fitness an form jus in time to get picked for england an come home crocked, not too dis-similar to what Nando's been experiencin since comin here - hope thats one sequence that changes.

i'll be watchin our game against the dutch with bated breath - i know we dont normally take prisoners in defence an that could be tough on Kuyt an Babel. the Spain games are obviously key to the rest of our season too, so many involved. Thing is, this is the price you pay for success at club level - recognition for the individuals, an lets face it, there aint no-one out there gonna turn down the chance for international football - unless you're regularly overlooked like Carra's always been (england's loss, our gain in my opinion) over the years.

all i'll say is good luck to those who take part (unless you're dutch!!) an for god's sake come home unscathed.
Stu Averill, a wannabe Scouse/Scot. I remember the good times & have faith in them comin back

Beside the Hillsborough Flame, I heard a Koppite mournin, "Why so many taken on that day?" Justice has never been done. But their memory we'll carry on. There'll be Glory Round The Fields Of Anfield Road
KennyisGod....still
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:20 pm

Sabre wrote:South Africa is tougher than New Zealand and Iraq, perhaps South AFrica's level is similar to USA? I don't expect them to be exactly easy at their home.

I know FIFA rankings are not an exact science, but I don't think they are ever more than 4 or 5 places away from the truth for any given team.

The USA is 17th in the world rankings     South Africa is 72nd, so I think it would be incorrect to say we are about the same.

by the way, Iraq is 82 and New Zealand is 79.

And the USA is in the same group as Italy, Brazil, and Egpyt  :(
JoeTerp

Postby Sabre » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:45 pm

Fair enough, to be perfectly honest I was comparing the potential based on the little I've seen about each team, 6 games max.

About the shirt of that cup, the marketing thing is getting ridiculous. I mean, since we go to South Africa, and we want stereotypes, what does Adidas do?

They design a spanish national shirt with a wild african touch, and to stress the touch, they fúcking paint the faces of our players with three stripes in the face.

Pathetic to see our Arbeloa, Reina and Alonso painted. I do respect that milenary tribes down there, but I don't think these marketing campaigns are any tribute or respecful to that.

I mean come on.  :no

P.S. Anyway, in that shameful presentation of the shirt they gave some micros to the players and there was some bantering between Arbeloa and Xavi Barcelona when they were asked about the possible encounter in the CL semifinals.

Arbeloa said smiling that Liverpool were confident and they felt like "lowering the smokes" to Barcelona, a expression we use which means "giving them some humble pie".

Xavi answered with a smile and suggested that the reds had confessed off the record all the praises about Barcelona, as if in the dressroom they were not as cocky as with the microphone. It was fun.
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:09 pm

Not worried really - confidence is high and the palyers want it so badly , they can almost touch it - hopefully everyone comes back unscathed and we can push on.

Mancs will have suspensions to key players so won't be easy for them !
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Nice kit though that Spain one!
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby loopyliverpool » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:16 pm

redbeergoggles wrote:I detest  International football  ,it serves no real purpose and only enhance's the possibility of injuries to key players .
I  hate it with a passion ,especially England and the hype the media surrounds them with .
I think the people  who follow the national team are without doubt the most shallowest, and most devoid of passion ever congregated ,and their knowledge of football ,I would liken to Newcastle fans belief, that they have the divine right to sit in the elite company of the top four without ever actually winning anything  (Misguided fools ) :(

That's a bit harsh man. The friendlies are a waste of time I grant you but, internationals of substance are grand. Admittedly, it's not as good as watching the Mighty Reds but I enjoy international football and still find it fascinating. The thing is, England aren't as good as we like to think we are and have failed for years. The hope that we one day might win something or even produce a moderate talent on the left wing holds my interest. There is something incredibly special about an England v Argentina/Germany game in the World Cup - fantastic - I would never miss a game of such importance. Football is fundemantal to our culture and the national team is the figurehead.
loopyliverpool

Postby Sir Roger » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:30 pm

loopyliverpool wrote:
redbeergoggles wrote:I detest  International football  ,it serves no real purpose and only enhance's the possibility of injuries to key players .

That's a bit harsh man. The friendlies are a waste of time I grant you but, internationals of substance are grand. Admittedly, it's not as good as watching the Mighty Reds but I enjoy international football and still find it fascinating. The thing is, England aren't as good as we like to think we are and have failed for years. The hope that we one day might win something or even produce a moderate talent on the left wing holds my interest. There is something incredibly special about an England v Argentina/Germany game in the World Cup - fantastic - I would never miss a game of such importance. Football is fundemantal to our culture and the national team is the figurehead.

Bit of a necessary evil.
More evil than necessary tough
:glare:
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion