The international break 7 - Well, we need something to keep us busy!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:12 pm

With no Liverpool footie until next weekend, it's time to step back and evaluate the season so far.  Here's some questions to ponder...

(1) Besides Kuyt (to make it interesting), which new player has impressed you the most so far this season and why?

(2) Which established player(s) (i.e. players who feature regularly for the senior team) will not be wearing red this time next season and why?

(3) Our inconsistent form so far...is it primarily down to the players on the pitch or to Rafa's team selections/tactics?

(4) Which department of the team (forwards, midfield, defense, keeper) poses the biggest problems for us at the moment and what is the solution in your eyes?

(5) Which player has been the most adversely affected by Rafa's "chopping and changing"?

(6) Our performances in the league so far--deeply disappointing or pretty much as expected given a tough schedule and a new set of players to bed in?

(7) In general do our performances to date suggest the team needs to make (a) minor adjustments or (b) significant improvements in order starting picking up points and catching up the leaders?

Enjoy!  :)
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kukilon » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:23 pm

Bad Bob wrote:With no Liverpool footie until next weekend, it's time to step back and evaluate the season so far.  Here's some questions to ponder...

(1) Besides Kuyt (to make it interesting), which new player has impressed you the most so far this season and why?

(2) Which established player(s) (i.e. players who feature regularly for the senior team) will not be wearing red this time next season and why?

(3) Our inconsistent form so far...is it primarily down to the players on the pitch or to Rafa's team selections/tactics?

(4) Which department of the team (forwards, midfield, defense, keeper) poses the biggest problems for us at the moment and what is the solution in your eyes?

(5) Which player has been the most adversely affected by Rafa's "chopping and changing"?

(6) Our performances in the league so far--deeply disappointing or pretty much as expected given a tough schedule and a new set of players to bed in?

(7) In general do our performances to date suggest the team needs to make (a) minor adjustments or (b) significant improvements in order starting picking up points and catching up the leaders?

1. Pennant because he is a winger that is able to beat his opponents and make good crosses. It looks like he is lacking in confidence though.

2. Sami because Agger will be better than him at that time.

3. Rafa's rotations.

4. Defense. The solution is not to go as much forward with our LB and RB and if we do we will have to have RW or LW that can cover. Now the CB gets pulled out of position which makes it very easy for opposition teams to cross.

5. Reina?

6. Not as good as I expected but with hindsight not very strange.

7. Don't rotate as much.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby tommycockles » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:03 pm

I'd probably go with Agger and Pennant, they're both still finding their feet but i like what i've seen so far.

I don't think any of the regular players will be gone, i think we'll see less of Sami but asides from that i think players like Diao, Pongo and Fowler will be gone (as much as i hate to put Fowler alogside Diao).

I think the players haven't shown as much passion as we've seen in the past, we seem excellent in the 'big' games but still too unconsistent away and against the small teams. I don't think the rotation helps apart from Gerrard playing on the left i haven't been too unhappy with team selection. On paper the team looks good- but in reality we jsut don't seem to click.

I think it seems to be our midfield, we keep chopping and changing and moving Gerrard left, right and centre. i think once we have stability there then our strikers will no where to run.

Gerrard

I'd have to say i've been disappointed, we haven't lost any of our big players from last year but we don't seem to have carried our form across. Chelsea have had problems gelling but they still seem to be picking up points where we're not. I don't think we're out of the title race as i still think the big teams will drop points- but we need to get our form back fast!!

Minor adjustments!! Then we'll be cooking on gas!! (hopefully) :D
tommycockles
LFC Super Member

Postby red37 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:57 pm

Bad Bob wrote:With no Liverpool footie until next weekend, it's time to step back and evaluate the season so far.  Here's some questions to ponder...

1) Daniel Agger

2) sami hyypia unfortunately..simply that, in agger he now has a viable replacement. thats not to say he wont feature at all.

3) a bit of both. communicating your ideas clearly and concisely is a skill you learn through experiences. and at the moment, one or two are needing some extra homework.

4) again, a little of each. im not one for blaming 'rotation' if its in moderate amounts and relative to the opposition/fatigue etc..but at the end of the day, all these are professional footballers. and should possess enough about them to become able to adapt. and i believe thats all it is. another learning curve. or at least another dimension to one theyve all mastered to a degree.
i think the real crux of the present situation does infact have more than a little to do with the idea of making the pitch bigger or smaller regards the position and territorial ownership of the ball during a game. maybe thats too simplistic an approach...but after understanding that concept, it becomes increasingly plausible that this is the key to the whole picture being effective.

5) the stick-on would be gerrard for many, although you'd have a good case to argue that most of the time gerrard is anything but adverse, wherever he is deployed. in all honesty yes, i think its made a change to his game. but i dont see any less than 100% from him. and if its for the good of the team we are talking about and its ultimate success, thats fine by me.
my own suspicion is that Xabi Alonso was the one who needed to up the ante, IMO - he has started to do just that.

6) with the untimely international 2008 fixtures and one or two key defensive injuries early on, added to a very tough opening quarter of a season. as well as the fallout from a world cup that finished very close to the start of this premiership...plus the financial pressures (admittedly out of the players remit) of qualification to the group phase of the champions league...phew! its no wonder there's been little time for the chalkboard to come out. the players we have are good enough...they simply havnt yet read the whole of the script for me. at least had little opportunity to absorb it. in fairness, something must be starting to sink in by now. To sum that up:  expectation always gets the better of us all before any new season. so im not surprised at a couple of the results but very relieved the opposition have also dropped points. whether that becomes an issue next May, we'll have to hope and see.

7) minor tweaking of the system with some pretty big leaps of faith for me. there are a couple who need to believe a bit more. and start trusting themselves, each other AND the managers word. then there will be  'a lot of confidence'  :)
apart from that, lets just hope this break serves a positive reaction for the next game---- a 3 0'clock satdy one as well!

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Rafa D » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:22 pm

Without Dirk, not one of the summer signings have impressed me so far to be honest. All of Mark Gonzalez's "hype" looks very undeserved in my opinion, he looks fast, but not much else at this present time. Aurelio has impressed me when he has the ball, extremely good passer, but looks shaky defending. Pennant has been average, he has delivered some good crosses and shown he can take a man but he has gone missing far too often at the moment. Bellamy is a quality player, but just struggling slightly in an unknown system. I know Aurelio, Pennant and Bellamy will perform for us, they possess a lot of quality, but I think its just that we have so many new players bedding into our system, none have had a chance to shine.

Harry Kewell. Although he is not wearing the red shirt at the moment, he is a established star. I cannot see him playing for us this time next year for a number of reasons. His contract is up in the summer and although he was getting back to form last year, he is too much of a risk to keep on the wages he is on. He will walk away on a free. The fact that many fans don't rate him will be a factor to this. He will leave in the summer branded a "flop".

A bit of both. I am all for the rotation of the squad. I think people will be praising Rafa come June for his policy that he is getting vilviled for now. I really do. He knows it, its his way and I truly believe it will bring results. It just the bedding in period, much like the "zonal marking" that got slated at first. However I think he has tinkered just a little too much with the defence at the moment. It doesn't help that LM has been such a problem area and certain players haven't performed yet.
   People need to take a step back though, I am not happy with the results so far, but our we have played 3 out of our 5 hardest away games in Chelsea, Bolton and Everton. With Mancs and Arsenal next up away from home, we will of boxed off our hardest matches of the season in the space of 2 months!!

The defence has looked shaky and people are blaming the goalkeeper.I am more concerned about our balance in midfield. Last year we had two blocks of 4. Solid, compact and good defending and attacking. This year our midfield is all over the place and it needs adressing. It doesn't help Stevie G is being moved around to patch up holes, and Xabi was dreadful at the start of the season.

Steven Gerrard without a doubt. He has played so-so compared to his own high standards and is yet to score a goal. I want to see him out on the right for a good 5 games. Gerrard on the left is a good player, Gerrard on the right is exceptional.

Like I said, if these games weren't so close together we would not be complaining. Bolton, Everton, Chelsea, Utd and Arsenal away are our hardest fixtures all season, with 3 down at the moment and all down within 4 weeks, we should then bank 3 points every week, if we are no more than 8 points away from top after Arsenal away - we have a very good chance of winning this title. Our home form is excellent, with 31 games unbeaten. Just watch this space.

I have to go with (a), the players just need to know the system and we need to get out of this slump.  If Rafa rotates the team we will be fresh every game. Just don't touch the back four as often, and leave Gerrard on the right.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:09 am

Harry Kewell. Although he is not wearing the red shirt at the moment, he is a established star. I cannot see him playing for us this time next year for a number of reasons. His contract is up in the summer and although he was getting back to form last year, he is too much of a risk to keep on the wages he is on. He will walk away on a free. The fact that many fans don't rate him will be a factor to this. He will leave in the summer branded a "flop".

I think Kewells contract is only up 2008 as he was signed on a 5 year deal in 2003. He will probably still walk away for nothing, but maybe a bit later.
account deleted by request

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:45 am

1. Agger. (although not a summer signing, he is relatively new to the team.)
He has been tremendous, and has definately cheered me up over the impending loss of Sami from the regular 11.

2. From the "regulars", I don't think any will be off on their merry way. Sami is already being phased out as a first choice player, and Finnan is approaching the latter stages of his LFC career, especially as Rafa likes to see his fullbacks bombing on (Something an aging player will find progressively difficult).
Robbie, so it would seem by his absence, is unlikely to be offered an extension beyond his current deal, although he couldn't be described as a regular.

Dudek, Zenden and Kirkland will probably leave, due to a lack of playing time, Warnock may leave for the same reason, and Diao will be booted out of Melwood faster than a Chinaman's orgasm.

3. The players and officials. Rafa has picked the team almost everyone agreed with before K.O.
He can't be held accountable if the players aren't up to scratch.

4. Midfield, as Gerrard seems to want the whole World to revolve around him. Gonzalez is struggling to adapt, Pennant looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights, and Momo is off his game, possibly due to religious reasons.

The defense is settled at last, and after 3 games, they should eradicate any errors. Once Finnan finds his form, we will be back  as the best defensive unit in Europe. (Including Pepe.)

Our attack is the strongest it's been in years, with Fowler failing to make the bench proof of it.

5. Pepe. He cannot be blamed for the defenders f*cking up infront of him.

6. Somewhere in between. They are disappointing, the loss at the sh*thole the low-point, but we have played our hardest away games within the first 2 months of the season, and anyone thinking we'd go to Shatford Bridge, The sh*thole and the Reebok, knock it about a bit and come home with 9 points needs a serious reality check.
Could be better, could be worse.

7. a.). Minor adjustments.

The team has been playing well, despite the results, and as anyone who knows anything about football will say - "I'd be a lot more worried if we were playing badly."

The fact is, we're outplaying sides - even the Champions in their own back yard. A few mistakes from unestablished players, a few monumental f*ckups by officials, and a few lapses in concentration are all that have cost us points.

Nothing that cannot be sorted with a couple of weeks' training, IMHO.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:36 pm

1) has to be agger. the guy's pure class and will become a liverpool legend. i've not seen a central defender bring the ball out from the back like he does since hansen's days. put it this way, last year we were linked with both agger and vidic. we got agger for £5m. the mancs got vidic for £7m. i know who got the better deal there by a country mile.

2) sami hyypia will probably move on as he gradually gets phased out of the team. robbie fowler may also not be here and i wouldn't even be surprised if harry kewell moved on. we can't keep gambling on a guy who hardly ever gets on the pitch.

3) in my opinion it's too easy to blame the manager at the end of the day. the fact is, a lot of our best players just haven't been performing anywhere near their best this season so far. i'm talking about reina, carragher, gerrard, alonso, pennant and bellamy. having said that, we could still have about six points more than we currently have if it wasn't for wayward finishing.

4) this season it's the midfield. last season it was the forward line by a country mile. we almost got too many midfield players at the moment and we keep rotating the personnel in there on a regular basis just to try and keep everyone happy. gerrard HAS to play on the right imo. get alonso and sissoko central and rotate the left midfield position. games are won and lost in midfield and with thos three in the engine room, we'll beat the majority of teams in the premiership.

5) it's tempting to say gerrard but i'm going for bellamy. the guy looks devoid of confidence and i think his been a victim of playing with a different strike partner almost evertime he plays.

6) disappointing, especially the away form. it was the one area in which we improved greatly last year. we don't want to go back to rafa's first season when we were a soft touch away from home. i would say however that we couldn't have asked for a much tougher start to the season. by november 12th we'll have played chelsea, manure, arsenal, everton, west ham, tottenham, bolton and newcastle.

7) like i pointed out in the "attacking play thread" i don't think we're that far off looking a very good side again. so far i can't remember us putting together a 90 minute performance. i think 5 of our next 7 games are at home so we need to get a system, pick pretty much our strongest team and stick with it for a bit. the results will start to come.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Espionage » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:17 pm

1) Pennant - he has shown some real fight in him and has looked dangerous when in possession.  He has been crossing well and also has that little bit of flair that we have been missing, that ability to beat your man and then make something happen.

2) Hypia - He might stay on for another season but who knows, wont get much time
Garcia - I am going out on a limb with this one, its a possibility that we might fall in love with our wingers and there is no space for a second striker role.  Would be sad to see him go...
Harry Kewell - Always a possibility......
Dudek - Its time that we started bringing up another youngster, we cant have him wasting away while hes still in his prime.
Fowler - Who knows how much he will get used, if at all based on how much he has played so far.

3) I would say the players.  If the team was playing badly, i would say inconclusive.  If the team is playing well but losing, I would say that the players have to do whatever they can to change those little things.

4) Its difficult to say.  We have actually got a pretty even squad due to the fact that no area has been unaddressed in our recent purchases.  By the end of the season I think that we are going to see a few heads role because I imagine that we might spend big on someone.  I cant really tell what the solution is at the moment but I imagine that underperformers will become more apparent as the season progresses.  We are at the stage that if someone is not performing then we can ship them out and buy someone better, as we dont have any critical gaps that we need to fill at the moment. 

5) The obvious answer is Crouch.  You cant help but feel a bit sorry for the guy.  He might not have consistently set the world alight last season, but based on his current perfromances I would say that he has been unlucky not to have seen more minutes.  I have a sneaking suspicion that Rafa wants to get Bellamy to get his first before he gets dropped.

6)  Half way in between......

7)  Minor adjustments.  But in order to make those minor adjustments, significant improvements have to be made....... If that makes any sense  :upside:
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:22 am

1/ None of them have impressed me to be honest. They have all shown glimpses of what they are capable of, but they just havent shown it often enough yet.

2/ Zenden. We have more than enough left-sided players once Kewell is fit and as Zenden isnt good enough for central midfield ,I think he will go and we will buy a youngster to fill the gap in the squad.

3/Players mistakes and lack of fight on the pitch added to the bad luck we have had away from home.

Rafa's team selections although puzzling to me at times, have still been strong enough with reasonable luck and the right spirit to have gained many more points and won most of our games.

4/ Defence. They seem to be taking it in turns to make silly mistakes and have a poor game.

5/Steven Gerrard, but perhaps Rafa has chopped and changed him for the teams sake. Once Gerrard hits top form where he plays will become much less contentious.

6/Our performances have been O.K. our away results have been disappointing. Sometimes you have to make your own luck and we havent looked up to doing that yet this season.

7/Minor adjustments. I would just like to see a bit more fight from some of the players. I never like to see Liverpool lose, but if we have to lose lets at least go down fighting. Maybe this is were Rafa's "chopping and changing" is having its biggest and most detrimental effect.... on teamspirit ?
account deleted by request

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion