Wednesday international friendlies - Why god? why?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby aCe' » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:12 pm

Kuyt scored from inside the 6yard box again... just saying...

i thought Babel did well to be honest... he was everywhere and Johnson couldnt really handle him for the better part of the 2nd half...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:15 pm

You just get the feeling about babel that if we ever let him go he would be world player of the year with 12 months, so much potential
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:19 pm

He did hardly anything productive, and when he did it was usually afforded by poor defending. He went on perhaps two decent runs with the ball, one of which Johnson just took him out completely (late in the game, friendly, 'who seriously gives a f'uck?' period of the game), the other where he won a corner (blocked by Johnson), other than that he was either offside, or lost the ball with his poor passing and sloppy touches. Same old really.

Kuyt on the other hand was sharp, worked his balls off, ok had his usual poor touches on the odd occasion, but played intelligently in the main and was rather effective. They certainly didn't play anything like as well as without him.
LFC2007

Postby red37 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:19 pm

Couple of things worry me about Johnson (from what we've seen so far)

I can see him being bailed out on several occasions, put it that way.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby redhayesy » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:20 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
Fauxy wrote:Anyone watch the match?

Kuyt did very well, Babel was fairly good, Johnson wasnt bad..

Yep, except I thought Kuyt did very well for about 45' - looked nice and sharp, whereas Babel and Johnson simply weren't good enough. Johnson was rusty, Babel his usual.

johnson wasn't rusty mate, he was just like many players tonight-he didn't want to get injured. as for babel,i just hope he proves me wrong this season an playes out of his skin,cause this is the most important season of his life for me.

i really want him to do well,but just fear he plays like a headless chicken an is out of his depth in the PL. as i say he really needs to up his game big time,but not for just a couple of games but throughout the season-his attitude is the biggest worry for me.

if he ever needed motivation,or self belief in his so called ability why? raffa has given him more time than alot of players in the past,that its self should be enough motivation than he should ever need at this FC.

he like othes are in the last chance saloon,& needs to change his attitude in that he knew when he signed for us wouldn't be first choice in the team,it's up to him to give raffa a selection headache. up to now he hasn't even given raffa the symtum for a headache.
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:28 pm

red37 wrote:Couple of things worry me about Johnson (from what we've seen so far)

I kind of agree - sometimes you think he looks a bit slow to get to his man, he seems to position himself one side of his man and then when his opponent makes a move, he can struggle to adjust himself - allowing them time/space to effect the game. He's not a bad defender, but he's definitely not a natural one, he's really more of a wingback. But I think Kuyt's industry and defensive awareness will help compensate for that. He won't get as exposed as he was tonight (with SWP in front and a poor midfield), that's for sure.
LFC2007

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:36 pm

redhayesy wrote:johnson wasn't rusty mate, he was just like many players tonight-he didn't want to get injured. as for babel,i just hope he proves me wrong this season an playes out of his skin,cause this is the most important season of his life for me.

i really want him to do well,but just fear he plays like a headless chicken an is out of his depth in the PL. as i say he really needs to up his game big time,but not for just a couple of games but throughout the season-his attitude is the biggest worry for me.

if he ever needed motivation,or self belief in his so called ability why? raffa has given him more time than alot of players in the past,that its self should be enough motivation than he should ever need at this FC.

he like othes are in the last chance saloon,& needs to change his attitude in that he knew when he signed for us wouldn't be first choice in the team,it's up to him to give raffa a selection headache. up to now he hasn't even given raffa the symtum for a headache.

It was some of the stray passing and the odd dodgy tackle - the one on Babel for a start - that made me think he was a bit rusty. But as you say it could just be out of eagerness for the new season. It was never a proper game anyway - there  were mistakes there that you won't usually see in a competitive fixture.

Completely agree with you on Babel, this is it as far as I'm concerned. If we could sell the lad now I'd be all for it, but if not, he has to buck up sharpish. We may be able to get something out of him as an impact sub as in his first season, but really as a starter there's no way he'd get in my team in a month of sundays if everyone else is fit and playing half decent (for the most part that is). He's too big a gamble.
LFC2007

Postby Scottbot » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:39 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
red37 wrote:Couple of things worry me about Johnson (from what we've seen so far)

I kind of agree - sometimes you think he looks a bit slow to get to his man, he seems to position himself one side of his man and then when his opponent makes a move, he can struggle to adjust himself - allowing them time/space to effect the game. He's not a bad defender, but he's definitely not a natural one, he's really more of a wingback. But I think Kuyt's industry and defensive awareness will help compensate for that. He won't get as exposed as he was tonight (with SWP in front and a poor midfield), that's for sure.

Deffo agree on that, he's not a real natural defender although he is better in the air than i thought. Good shout on Kuyt (he was excellent tonight) and his workrate and defensive capabilities, they will become more of an asset with such an attacking full-back playing behind him. My biggest worry on Johnson is that i've seen him play a few sloppy balls in the pre-season where he is fully committed high up the pitch and we've squandered posession and ended up well and truly turned around.

Babel did ok tonight, had a good battle with Johnson plus he even made a few challenges, I was worried they were gonna injure eachother at one stage. Imagine Rafa's reaction if they had!

:D
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redhayesy » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:22 am

Scottbot wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:

Deffo agree on that, he's not a real natural defender although he is better in the air than i thought. Good shout on Kuyt (he was excellent tonight) and his workrate and defensive capabilities, they will become more of an asset with such an attacking full-back playing behind him. My biggest worry on Johnson is that i've seen him play a few sloppy balls in the pre-season where he is fully committed high up the pitch and we've squandered posession and ended up well and truly turned around.

Babel did ok tonight, had a good battle with Johnson plus he even made a few challenges, I was worried they were gonna injure eachother at one stage. Imagine Rafa's reaction if they had!

:D

thing is mate, many fans were saying that about arbaloa-he was great going foward,found wanting in defensive situations at times etc. for me GJ will provide the best form of defence in attacking.

his link up play an providing quality crosses etc will be a great asset to our formation this season,especialy in counter attacks etc.

for me hopefully he will score a few goals aswell which is what other players will provide cover for him also. i know he will never be in the same class as the likes of phil neal was,as he could score goals-race back an defend like no other right back iv'e seen before.johnson will be aware that his first an upmost duty will be to defend,raffa has seen his quality in geting foward at every opportunity to support & create chances for our fowards from a wide area, that to limit his natual ability in that area would be a debtrament to the side etc.

like you say other players will cover for him i'm sure when needed, & i'm really foward to his style of play that will be needed when we play certain teams especially at home that cost us wins last season,because we didn't have enough variety going foward in breaking these teams down. i'm confident GJ will  cure such issues.

when we need to defend,raffa etc will ensure he does just that. he will understand that he will be more disciplined in his alround game,i'm confident he will adapt to this very quickly.
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Postby centarec » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:45 am

I was at the stadium today watching Macedonia - Spain and watching Riera tonight was incredible.. Pure magic , and the goal he scored WOW . Torres was kind of lazy didnt care to much for the game , but hey why should he .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92ajjYtiE1c
heres the goal
centarec

Postby Fauxy » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:55 am

:O  On his day, Riera really is CLASS
Fauxy

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:10 am

Everyone come through unscathed? ???
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Fauxy » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:29 am

Yep as far as i know
Fauxy

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:33 am

Fauxy wrote:Yep as far as i know

Good to hear.  I was most concerned about Torres but it sounds like he took it easy tonight.  Good lad is our Nando.  :nod
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:34 am

BTW, that's a sweet sig Fauxy...Torres doing the Haka.  PMSL! :laugh:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion