Tough time ahead - Make or break?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kazza » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:55 am

I do not mean to sound negative but I was looking over the schedule and noticed that we have the toughest part of the season coming up after we play our FA cup round against Luton.

14 Jan, 2006 Tottenham Hotspur (H)
22 Jan, 2006 Manchester United (A)
31 Jan, 2006 Birmingham City  (H)
05 Feb, 2006 Chelsea  (A)
11 Feb, 2006 Wigan Athletic  (A) 
14 Feb, 2006 Arsenal  (H)
21 Feb, 2006 Benfica Champions League Last 16 (1) (A) 

The next games follow which on paper seem easier (apart from Arsenal) but still could end up tricky games. If we can win most of these first seven games, momentum should carry us through the next six and from there the rest of the season.

26 Feb, 2006 Manchester City  H
04 Mar, 2006 Charlton Athletic  H
08 Mar, 2006 Benfica Champions League Last 16 (2) H
12 Mar, 2006 Arsenal  A
19 Mar, 2006 Newcastle  A
25 Mar, 2006 Everton  H

If we reach this point having only dropped a few points, the premiership is ours. If we can continue our great run and not drop points, Chelsea will start to get nervous and I think will roll over.

I am so happy to post this as a couple of years ago our only real ambition at this stage of the season would have been MAKING the CL. WE WILL BE CHAMPIONS!
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:03 pm

i see what you're saying kazza and agree about a few dodgy fixtures coming up. we will drop a few points in the coming weeks but even if we came through with 100% record there's no way chelsea will roll over, their squad is just too good and their manager ain't too shabby either

for us to win the prem it means chelsea would have to lose 3 more games than us between now and the end of the season and that's just not going to happen i don't think (either that or they start drawing a sh*tload of games which i can't see either)

next season or maybe the season after we will represent a serious title challenge but not this one i'm afraid
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:04 pm

out of those first games i can only see us dropping points against man u and chelsea away as arsenal are there for the taking, especially at anfield. as fantastic as our recent run has been we have to admit that it hasn't been against the strongest sides in the league though what it HAS done is to build up enough team coherence and confidence to go into any game without fear. we 're going to lose at least one of the games in that list but i don't think anyone is going to really derail us enough fror us to lose our grip on one of those top three spots. however, as far as chelsea getting nervous and dropping points allowing us to sneak into top place - forget it.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:20 pm

Fingers crossed Man U can drop points and we can nick 2nd place as it would be good for the lads to get an automatic CL spot rather than have to play extra qualifying games.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MilitiaRusher » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:23 pm

Only should we start winning challenging games like Bolton away, Manure away, Arsenal home, and even Chelsea away then would I start considering us able to sneak into top place. It isn't too hard as Chelsea is just 9 points adrift of us considering we win both our 2 games in hand.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:12 pm

That is a tough run of games.. Chelsea have got the squad not to feel this busy part of the season i am just praying we don't get any big time injurys..

it is between us and manure for second and i think we are favorites due to the stlye of footy we are playing even the media are giving us some credit

I agree this kassa that it is ace that we are not just playing for forth spot

ROLE ON THE RAFALUTION !!!!!!!!
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby AwiLas » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:18 pm

Yeah.. Rafa should let Momo and Hamann run the midfield against the weaker teams and let Stevie and Alonso take a well deserved break.. These 2 wizards are like one heart and lungs+liver in the Liverpool side.. Maybe Carragher, Crouch and Hyypia should be considered for resting too against the weaker teams.. Cheers..
AwiLas

Postby kazza » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:58 pm

Well gee, I forgot to mention Bolton away because they play well at home.

It seems a mute point now as we lost two vital points today but on the Chelsea dropping points thing, I think that had we extended our winning run all the way to the Chelsea match and then beaten them, they would definately have gotten nervous and dropped points.  At the time it seemed do-able. :laugh:
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RAFABENITEZ » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:18 pm

LUTON A
------------------Dudek----------------
-Finnan-----Whitbread-----Carra--Warnock
-Gerrard---Hamann----Potter----Riise----
-----------Sinama-----Morientes---------

Spurs
--------------------Reina--------------------
-Kromkamp---Carra----------Sami-----Traore-
-Garcia------Sissoko-----Alonso-----Kewell---
------------Cisse-------Crouch--------------
Scum
-------------------Reina---------------------
Finnan-----Carra---------Hyypia-------Riise
-----------------Sissoko--------------------
--------Alonso-------------Gerrard-----------
----new RW?-----------------Kewell---------
---------------Crouch-----------------------
RAFABENITEZ
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:32 pm

we will have to work hard for 2nd place as Manure and Arsenal (who i expect to go on a run) will be pushing hard too.If we can go the rest of the season with no more than 2 more defeats....I think 2nd place is there for the taking.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:35 pm

drummerphil wrote:we will have to work hard for 2nd place as Manure and Arsenal (who i expect to go on a run) will be pushing hard too.If we can go the rest of the season with no more than 2 more defeats....I think 2nd place is there for the taking.

I think you are right, and a good solid second will be a foundation to build on for next year.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:38 pm

It's easy to get bogged down looking ahead at a tough run of fixtures, but we're a good side these days and none of those teams are looking forward to playing us either you can bet.

One game at a time is how Benitez and the squad will approach it and that's the best way.

Also no doubt we'll have a few reinforcements signed up by the time some of those games come around.  I still think we're a cert for a top 3 finish, and looking good for 2nd.  As I thought before today Chelsea are just a bridge too far this season, but we're closing the gap rapidly.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:49 pm

kazza wrote:14 Jan, 2006 Tottenham Hotspur (H)
22 Jan, 2006 Manchester United (A)
31 Jan, 2006 Birmingham City  (H)
05 Feb, 2006 Chelsea  (A)
11 Feb, 2006 Wigan Athletic  (A) 
14 Feb, 2006 Arsenal  (H)

That means there are 18 points up for grabs between now and Valentine's Day.

In the respective fixtures last season:

Liverpool 2-2 Spurs
Man U 2-1 Liverpool
Liverpool 0-1 Birmingham
Chelsea 1-0 Liverpool
West Brom 0-5 Liverpool (NB - the Baggies being the team who came up from the runners-up spot in the Championship that season)
Liverpool 2-1 Arsenal

...we got 7 points.

For me we're a far better side this season, so I'll be looking for a huge improvement on that. Today against Bolton we drew a game we'd have lost last season. Now we need to kick on and regain that winning habit. Chelsea have surged away almost unnoticed this season, and they're winning games with such efficiency - even when they're not playing that well - that you can't help but be impressed. If we can get through Spring in that fashion, we'll be in very, very good shape.
ivor_the_injun

Postby ivor_the_injun » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:55 pm

kazza wrote:26 Feb, 2006 Manchester City  H
04 Mar, 2006 Charlton Athletic  H
12 Mar, 2006 Arsenal  A
19 Mar, 2006 Newcastle  A
25 Mar, 2006 Everton  H

...And for the record, last season...

Liverpool 2-1 Man C
Liverpool 2-0 Charlton
Arsenal 3-1 Liverpool
Newcastle 1-0 Liverpool
Liverpool 2-1 Everton

9 points from 15.

Again I'd be looking to turn the Newcastle loss into a win, and the Arsenal loss into at least a draw. The Man Citys, Birminghams, Charltons and - yes - the Boltons of this league are never easy games, but we'll only be realistic Prem title challengers when we take 3 points away from all of the also-ran teams.
ivor_the_injun

Postby A.B. » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:18 pm

Even if we won all of those comming games, we wouldn't be Champions. Chelsea are too good to drop points [I can't see them droping points to anybody in the Premiership] and they have enough depth and quality in the squad to do well if they stumble upon a period of injuries/suspensions.

This month and the following will prove to be difficult, but if it takes us a scrap to get what we need then so be it.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion