Steven Gerrard thread - Stevie G topics: please post here

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The_Rock » Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:47 am

http://www.koptalk.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/400995/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

Gerrard in secret £30million deal to join Chelsea - REPORT

The Mail on Sunday will report later today (when published) that Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard is set to join Chelsea in the summer, after a 'secret' £30million deal was struck.

Gerrard's comments yesterday made live on BBC1 about waiting until the summer to decide if he'll stay with us or not has only played into the hands of the journalists, so you can expect even more of these reports to start cropping up.

Forget the board room, forget Steven Gerrard, think about Rafael Benitez. How the hell is he supposed to do his job with this distraction hindering his long term plans? Michael Owen did it to Houllier last season and Steven Gerrard is doing it to Rafa this season.

Regardless of 'will he' or 'won't he', he has publicly declared that he is considering jumping ship again. This is damaging to the rest of the squad, the manager and the fans i.e. the club.

Will someone please grow some balls and sort this ******* mess out. Morgan, L4, Paiboon ******* Damrongchaitham whatever your ******* name is, Parry, Moores... SORT IT before there's bloodshed!
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:01 am

weekly gerrard tabloid tales........

1)
http://www.sportinglife.com/footbal....=soccer

GERRARD HINTS AT SUMMER EXIT

Steven Gerrard will consider his Liverpool future in the summer after admitting he was flattered by the attention of Europe's elite clubs.

The Anfield skipper helped the Reds reach the Carling Cup final this week, scoring the only goal in each of the two legs of their semi-final against Watford.

But Liverpool's often drab league displays have prompted fears on Merseyside that Gerrard may decide to look elsewhere for the chance to challenge for the game's top honours.

Real Madrid have been linked with the England midfielder, and Gerrard admits his future will be given due consideration at the end of the season.

"I'm not really thinking about my future at the moment," he said on BBC1.

"I'll sit down at the end of the season and assess my future."

Gerrard turned down the chance of a move to Chelsea last summer, returning from Euro 2004 to commit his future to Liverpool, despite conceding his head had been turned by the attention.

He recognised that he would be coveted by the very best clubs on the continent if there was any indication of his being prepared to leave Liverpool.

Last June, he admitted it was a decision which came from his heart to stay with the 18-time league champions.

His head may prompt a future move, but speaking at half-time during Manchester United's FA Cup tie against Middlesbrough this evening, Gerrard was non-committal.

"Of course it's flattering," he said. "There are some top clubs around Europe showing interest, but I'm at a top club at the moment.

"I've got a chance of lifting a cup."

2)
http://sports.yahoo.com/sow....pe=lgns

Gerrard to consider future as European clubs hover

LONDON, Jan 29 (Reuters) - Captain Steven Gerrard will consider his Liverpool future at the end of the season, following interest from top European clubs.

Gerrard, a product of Liverpool's youth system, has regularly been linked with Premier League rivals Chelsea, Manchester United and Arsenal, along with Real Madrid.

"I'll sit down at the end of the season and assess the situation," the 24-year-old England midfielder told the BBC on Saturday. "I'm settled at the moment and I've got some massive games to play in the near future.

ADVERTISEMENT

"There's some top clubs around Europe who are showing some interest, but I'm at a top club as I speak and I'll concentrate giving all I've got for Liverpool."

Gerrard has been inspirational this season, most recently scoring in both semi-final legs against Watford to put Liverpool into a League Cup final on February 27 against Chelsea.

Fifth in the Premier League table, Liverpool have fallen well behind Chelsea, Arsenal and United in recent years, while Gerrard has made no secret of his desire for regular Champions League football.

"I always look for improvement from the club," Gerrard said.

"It's been a bit disappointing so far this season, as far as the challenge for the title is concerned. But I've got a chance of lifting a Cup and finishing in the top four."

Thanks to a Gerrard goal against Olympiakos last month, Liverpool are through to the Champions League knockout stage, where they face Bayer Leverkusen.

3)

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N147668050129-1915.htm

STEVIE TO DECIDE ON FUTURE IN SUMMER
Paul Eaton 29 January 2005 
  Steven Gerrard has once again stressed he will only consider his Liverpool future at the end of the season. 
The Liverpool skipper will once again be the subject of much transfer speculation as the season wears on, with Real Madrid and Chelsea reportedly ready to tempt Gerrard with an offer in the summer.

But for now he is focused only on helping Liverpool enjoy a successful second half of the season, which will hopefully include a Cup triumph in Cardiff.

"Of course it's flattering," he said, when asked about being linked with elite European outfits. "There are some top clubs around Europe showing interest, but I'm at a top club at the moment. I've got a chance of lifting a cup.

"I'm not really thinking about my future at the moment. I'll sit down at the end of the season and assess my future." 

4)

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.as....iership

5)

http://www.soccer365.com/EUROPEAN_NEWS/Premiership/page_99_90383.shtml

6)

http://itv-football.co.uk/Teams/Liverpool/story_141937.shtml

7)

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/3361158
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:06 am

The Owen Saga all over again.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Ciggy » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:17 am

He brings this all on himself, most of us seen what he said, the media twist it around.
When asked these questions he should just say ive got a 3-4 year contract with Liverpool. End of story. :glare:
Now this is gona go on till the end of the season again :down:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:10 am

don't worry lynds

if stevie g leaves...it will be in excess of 30 million.

it can :
Wipe out LFC debt
or
money used to buy more quality players.

So it is a lot like, if he stays great. If he leaves, also good  :D.

If he really does leave, lets send him of with respect. He is the reason why we got 4th and qualified for champions league 2nd rounf.
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:19 pm

That's the Mail's article below. Saw them talking about it on Jimmy Hill's show. One of them reckoned his representatives had 2 secret meetings with Chelsea in the past couple of weeks. I'll repeat my usual stance again....... if he's not 100% commited he should go, otherwise we should do everything we can to try and keep him. Unfortunately our season hasn't turned out as we'd hoped in the summer yet, and we always new there needed to be a clear improvement for him to stay.

Gerrard in secret £30m deal to join Chelsea
By BOB CASS, Mail on Sunday
Frustrated: Gerrard has been disappointed with Liverpool's performances
Frustrated England star Steven Gerrard will sign for Premiership leaders Chelsea this summer in the biggest deal in British football history.
The midfielder will agree to a £30 million move from Liverpool. And with wages of around £120,000 a week - double his salary at Anfield - the long-anticipated move will top the deals that took Rio Ferdinand and, more recently, Wayne Rooney to Manchester United.
The switch will also send shockwaves through a Premiership already pondering just how to counter a Chelsea revolution financed by multi-billionaire Roman Abramovich and brilliantly orchestrated by manager Jose Mourinho.
Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon thought he had set up a deal for Gerrard last June. But with everything agreed - fee, contract, ancillary image rights - Gerrard decided to stay at his hometown club. Now Kenyon has got his man following secret talks on Merseyside last week.
Kenyon is thought to have agreed a deal in principle. All that will be left is the formality of Gerrard passing a medical and accepting a contract at the end of the season. The likelihood is that he will be a Chelsea player before his 25th birthday on May 30.
By then, Chelsea will almost certainly have been crowned Premiership champions and may even have captured an unprecedented quartet of domestic and European trophies.
Gerrard's frustration
It is for such success that Gerrard will tear himself away from the city where he was born and the club whose academy he joined as an eight-year-old. He recently expressed disquiet at his dwindling hopes of ever playing in a championship-winning Liverpool side.
In contrast, a rosy picture of life at Stamford Bridge has been painted for Gerrard by his England team-mates and close friends, Frank Lampard and John Terry.
After giving Liverpool another season during which he has stood tall while the fortunes of the club have floundered - his goal at Watford last week clinched a Carling Cup final place against Chelsea - Gerrard believes he has earned the right to step up his quest for personal honours.
While Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry welcomed last year's about-turn by Gerrard as 'fantastic news', the player's departure now looks inevitable. Given the club's depleted financial resources, the money from a Gerrard transfer will enable manager Rafael Benitez to relaunch Liverpool's bid to reclaim past glories.
Chelsea's capture of Gerrard will follow closely on their rejection of a high-profile move for his fellow England midfielder, David Beckham. It is the possible involvement of Beckham's club, Real Madrid, in a bidding war for the Liverpool man that makes Kenyon anxious to close the deal.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:22 pm

I don't fookin care about this stupid saga anymore, Listen LFC is my life my heart and my soul..(Looks behind to see if the wifes spying over my shoulder)
i understand members defending Gerrard but it's time to take of the rose tinted glasses and be honest with ourselfes and ask the question is he really gona stay?.
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:33 pm

PRE SEASON CONTRACT IS BULL SH#T.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:28 pm

It's not even worth biting anymore guys an gals. Particularly when the story comes from the Mail who have been THE leading bulllshitt talker in the ongoing Gerrard saga.

All the guy did was answer the questions about his future with the exact same answer he gave 2 months ago. The press then jump on this like its something new. This is the last time i talk about Gerrard till the summer! I think we must all be absolutely sick of it by now. I think JBG is right, lets ban Stevie.G posts for good.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:43 pm

All the press are in London and think the sun shines out of Chelsea's a*se, and fail to understand why somebody wouldn't automatically want to live in London.

Stories sell papers - so hey let's make some up shall we if we haven't got any real ones cos we can get away with it by saying "an insider at the club" told them, ie. they made it up. W@nkers.
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:30 pm

This sums it all up really.

The Editor

30th January 2005

Strip Gerrard of the captaincy

Steven Gerrard has admitted that he will assess his future in the summer. He could stay, he could go, but the situation does not help Rafael Benitez nor does it benefit the club. He may give 100% in every game but that is worth nothing if at the end of the season he drops the bombshell that none of us want to hear. If I was Rafa now I'd be planning for life after Gerrard because if he does decide to jump ship in the summer, it won't leave us any time to find a suitable replacement. Rule him out from now and sell him regardless. It's Michael Owen all over again and if we're not careful we could get stung.

Here we have a Liverpool lad who has come through the ranks and is now captaining the first team. He'll never go short of money and he'll be idolised for years if he stays where he is. In London, or anywhere else come to that matter, he'll just be a number. He's supposed to be a Liverpool fan yet what Liverpool fan would walk out on the club they love be they at the top or at the bottom. Ok, ok, he could stay, then what fan would consider walking out at a time when the club needed them most?

While I understand his frustrations at the lack of progress at Anfield, I feel it's about time that we re-adopted Shank's mentality in that if you have doubts about playing for Liverpool Football Club, you don't play for Liverpool Football Club. Then comes the problem. We don't have players good enough to replace him. We're also desperate to field our strongest side as we once again fight for 4th. What a mess.

I think it's an absolute disgrace that the captain, the man everyone is supposed to look up to, is sending out a message that playing for Liverpool Football Club isn't good enough. When that message comes from someone like Steven Gerrard, it can only lower morale throughout Melwood and the Academy. It also leaves the manager with an impossible job as the rest of Europe will be watching. Those who idolise the player don't even come to it. They'll blindly defend him even though it will be them who are reduced to tears should he decide to quit.

Step forward Jamie Carragher. He is Liverpool Football Club. The most gifted he isn't. The most loyal he is. Just like Tommy Smith, Carragher would run through a brick wall for the club. He'd be my skipper with or without Gerrard. When Ged took the captaincy from Hyypia and gave it to Gerrard, I saw it as a PR stunt but a good one. I thought by making him skipper he'd never consider leaving. How wrong I was.

Now before my critics start posting and before the Steven Gerrard fans start crying, I want to make something perfectly clear. I love Steven Gerrard. He's great. I want him to stay. I want us to build a team around him. I want him to lift the 19th title and all the cups. But I support Liverpool Football Club, not Steven Gerrard. No player should be bigger than the club. No player should ever call the shots. I said it last season about Michael and I'm saying it this season about Steven.

If he goes, he goes. At least we have Xabi Alonso on board, a player who I rate very, very highly and if we have to find a new skipper, I know who I'd love to see awarded that honour.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:43 pm

Finally rick parry does some work :p

http://www.soccerweekend.com/country....yID=223

England
Reds deny Gerrard Blues reports

Liverpool supremo Rick Parry has furiously hit back at claims that he has already negotiated a summer move to Chelsea for midfielder Steven Gerrard.

Liverpool supremo Rick Parry has furiously hit back at claims that he has already negotiated a summer move to Chelsea for midfielder Steven Gerrard.

And the club will be seeking legal advice tomorrow over the claims.

Gerrard was ready to move to Stamford Bridge during Euro 2004 but eventually committed his future to Liverpool.

However a newspaper report today alleged that Parry had met Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon last week to agree a £30million deal.

Parry said in a statement on Liverpoolfc.tv: "I did not meet with Peter Kenyon, nor did I agree a deal for Steven Gerrard.

"Both Rafa Benitez and myself have made it clear to Steven that we want him to stay and we see his future at Anfield."

The claims over Gerrard come on the same day Chelsea were accused of "tapping-up" Arsenal defender Ashley Cole - a claim denied by the player's agent.

Parry and boss Anfield boss Benitez have constantly said Gerrard is not for sale, although it is clear the situation will be reviewed in the summer when the Liverpool skipper knows whether the club are in the Champions League next season and Benitez's team re-building plans.

Gerrard was asked about his future on BBC last night and said: "Of course it is flattering that some top clubs around Europe are showing an interest in me but I am at a top club at the moment.

Liverpool's injury problems eased a little on Saturday when Vladimir Smicer made a 30-minute comeback in the reserves after being out for six months recovering from a knee operation.

Smicer's contract runs out in the summer so he has only a few months to convince Benitez that he is worthy of an extension. But considering Liverpool's continuing injury problems, the Czech midfielder could get plenty of opportunities to show his worth.

The club are playing down injury doubts over striker Neil Mellor.

Mellor was pulled out of a reserve match at Aston Villa on Saturday with a knee injury but it is not believed to be a major problem.
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:49 pm

More news.  Totally agree about the below point. If it is not Beckham or Rooney, then its Gerrard. Its a vicious circle..... LFC also might take action against 'The Mail'.....

"We are used to the speculation surrounding Stevie but what is disappointing is that a single telephone call from the newspaper to check what are fairly basic facts would have completely demolished the story."

1)
http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.as....iership

Reds slam Gerrard Blues talk

Liverpool have dismissed reports which suggested they had agreed a deal to sell Steven Gerrard to Chelsea.
Reports on Sunday suggested Gerrard had grown frustrated with The Reds' failure to challenge the big three and had urged Liverpool to do business with Chelsea.
It was alleged that the top brass at the two clubs had met up and shook hands on the £30 million deal, which would see Gerrard double his wages at Stamford Bridge.
Liverpool have acted swiftly to issue a rebuttal, with chief executive Rick Parry denying ever meeting up with his counterpart at Chelsea, Peter Kenyon, to thrash out a deal.
"Contrary to a story in today's Mail on Sunday I did not meet with Peter Kenyon nor did I agree a deal for Steven Gerrard," Parry told the club's official website.
"Both Rafa Benitez and myself have made it clear to Steven that we want him to stay and that we see his future at Anfield.
"We are used to the speculation surrounding Stevie but what is disappointing is that a single telephone call from the newspaper to check what are fairly basic facts would have completely demolished the story."
Gerrard has made no secret of his desire to secure silverware and Liverpool will be desperate to improve their form in the second half of the season in a bid to prove to their inspirational captain that they can satisfy his demands.

2)

http://www.koptalk.org/forums....1

Liverpool to take legal action against The Mail on Sunday

Liverpool Football Club will consult their lawyers on Monday to discuss taking possible legal action against The Mail on Sunday in relation to claims that they published today.

A report in the Mail claimed that a secret £30million deal had been agreed to sell Steven Gerrard to Chelsea in the summer but Chief Executive Rick Parry says such claims are nonsense.

Parry said: "Contrary to a story in today's Mail on Sunday I did not meet with Peter Kenyon nor did I agree a deal for Steven Gerrard.

"Both Rafa Benitez and myself have made it clear to Steven that we want him to stay and that we see his future at Anfield.

3)

http://www.sportinglife.com/footbal....=soccer

REDS FURY AT GERRARD CHELSEA LINK

And the club will be seeking legal advice on Monday over the claims.

Gerrard was ready to move to Stamford Bridge during Euro 2004 but eventually committed his future to Liverpool.

However a newspaper report today alleged that Parry had met Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon last week to agree a £30million deal.

Parry said in a statement on Liverpoolfc.tv: "I did not meet with Peter Kenyon, nor did I agree a deal for Steven Gerrard.

"Both Rafa Benitez and myself have made it clear to Steven that we want him to stay and we see his future at Anfield."

The claims over Gerrard come on the same day Chelsea were accused of "tapping-up" Arsenal defender Ashley Cole - a claim denied by the player's agent.

Parry and boss Anfield boss Benitez have constantly said Gerrard is not for sale, although it is clear the situation will be reviewed in the summer when the Liverpool skipper knows whether the club are in the Champions League next season and Benitez's team re-building plans.

Gerrard was asked about his future on BBC last night and said: "Of course it is flattering that some top clubs around Europe are showing an interest in me but I am at a top club at the moment.

Liverpool's injury problems eased a little on Saturday when Vladimir Smicer made a 30-minute comeback in the reserves after being out for six months recovering from a knee operation.

Smicer's contract runs out in the summer so he has only a few months to convince Benitez that he is worthy of an extension. But considering Liverpool's continuing injury problems, the Czech midfielder could get plenty of opportunities to show his worth.

The club are playing down injury doubts over striker Neil Mellor.

Mellor was pulled out of a reserve match at Aston Villa on Saturday with a knee injury but it is not believed to be a major problem.
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:13 pm

Lynds where did that article come from?
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:21 pm

fivecups wrote:Lynds where did that article come from?

Editor of koptalk wrote it also they had a voting poll and JC has 68 procent of the votes to become captain. :cool:

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion