STEVEN GERRARD - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby NANNY RED » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:34 pm

When you look at some of the names though it just shows you how we have been blessed with great midfield players throughout the years. For me though id have a Thompson or a Hieghway out wide in the mid field.

I have to agree with Saint an all though For a long time ive always thought Souness was our best ever midfielder but in my eyes now Stevies alround game tops him . No one better in the world for me . But still think Souness was a better captain.

Whod be a manager havin to pick from all the great midfielders weve had. My heart also says how can i  leave out Kennerdy, But the perfect midfield pairing has to be Souness an Gerrard.
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:45 pm

redhayesy wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:
s@int wrote:    Late 70's Callaghan/Case - I would have hated doing it but Gerrard is better.

Callaghan Saint ,SACRALIDGE

One of my all time favs

spot on NR also saint, sorry but i totally dis-agree with the 80's choice mate [to spell his name wrong was also SACRLIDGE] -CRAIG JOHNSTON was an awsome player,i can honestly say i never saw him have a bad game for us, watching him in that suberb team of the 80's week in week out, his enthusiasm,commitment,attitude was second to none.

IMHO gerrard would have found a place in the side of any era but for who ? very good question, as you say mate i would of hated dropping anyone of great teams gone by it's far easier to make that decision in our side right now.

sorry for not commiting to the debate mate but it's that hard for me to name any player from the years you mention.

totally agree tho gerrard is a red through & through, who will be remembered as a LFC legand.  :buttrock

:D  So who would you have dropped for Craig Johnston ? Whelan, Molby, McMahon ? Hard isn't it  :D
account deleted by request

Postby NANNY RED » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:52 pm

Bloody hell Saint stop it i totaly forgot about Molby.

Too hard for me this
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:55 pm

I have said many times how much I admire Steven Gerrard's game, but now I won't mention his quality, but how consistent he is in that quality.

I mean, I've seen a few world class players in action. Zidane, Maradona, Ronaldinho... each of which you could say they had more skill than the captain, but you couldn't say of them they were more complete footballers, and they're more irregular than our captain, it's easier to remember in them blips of 3 weeks, than remembering such a blip in our captain.

As for Gerrard's season, do you remember the last season you could say it was an average season for him? he ranges from very good to perfect!
Last edited by Sabre on Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:56 pm

but hes no Diomede
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:57 pm

i wouldnt say Zidane had blips mate - that guys was pretty much always outstanding and prob the best player for the last ten years and definatly one of the best ever alongside the likes of pele,maradona,cruyff and platini
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:59 pm

NANNY RED wrote:Bloody hell Saint stop it i totaly forgot about Molby.

Too hard for me this

Certainly makes you realise how lucky we have been over the years.

Don't even start on strikers Rush, Fowler, Owen, StJohn, Hunt ,Torres, Toshack, Keegan , Dalglish, Beardsley.  Try picking two out of those  :D

Postby bigmick » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:02 pm

Sabre wrote:As for Gerrard's season, do you remember the last season you could say it was an average season for him? he ranges from very good to perfect!

I actually think he can play much better Sabes, and once Torres is back he will. I think sometimes he's on a different level to the people we are playing up front recently (certainly very recently) and as such his game is blunted a bit.

What he's discovered though as I said earlier is the art of just cruising through games but still being the best player. His finish for the second goal against Hull was of the very highest order and an indication of where he's at. He has plenty of time to think about it, had to make sure he didn't hit it too hard as he was leaning backwards, and nad to steer it in. That ability to think within the moment is a God gift which only a few have.

Funnily enough I think his owrse performances this season (West Ham at home springs to mind) have been when he's reverted to previous type and gone more gung-ho. It could be our league position but on those occasions he's got himself a bit carried away and tried the impossible too often.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:03 pm

Its is hard - but for me still rush and kenny but torres god and owen not far behind .

the cbs is hard as well with lawro,jockey,thommo, crazy horse, carra .

GKs you have pepe ,clem and brucie.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:05 pm

Everyone has to have Kenny, then a tough call between Rush and Keegan... then God.
Midfield Molby can't be beat in my book.
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:05 pm

bigmick wrote:
Sabre wrote:As for Gerrard's season, do you remember the last season you could say it was an average season for him? he ranges from very good to perfect!

I actually think he can play much better Sabes, and once Torres is back he will. I think sometimes he's on a different level to the people we are playing up front recently (certainly very recently) and as such his game is blunted a bit.

What he's discovered though as I said earlier is the art of just cruising through games but still being the best player. His finish for the second goal against Hull was of the very highest order and an indication of where he's at. He has plenty of time to think about it, had to make sure he didn't hit it too hard as he was leaning backwards, and nad to steer it in. That ability to think within the moment is a God gift which only a few have.

Funnily enough I think his owrse performances this season (West Ham at home springs to mind) have been when he's reverted to previous type and gone more gung-ho. It could be our league position but on those occasions he's got himself a bit carried away and tried the impossible too often.

Thats prob the only critisism you would ever say about gerrard - tries too much sometimes and sometimes doesnt trust his teammates - plus his odd bad tackle and little dive .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:06 pm

when he's got his fat frank boots on tho and just shoots from anywhere in some games he does annoy me a lil, but he's genius so forgiven.
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:07 pm

redhayesy wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:
s@int wrote:    Late 70's Callaghan/Case - I would have hated doing it but Gerrard is better.

Callaghan Saint ,SACRALIDGE

One of my all time favs

spot on NR also saint, sorry but i totally dis-agree with the 80's choice mate [to spell his name wrong was also SACRLIDGE] -CRAIG JOHNSTON was an awsome player,i can honestly say i never saw him have a bad game for us, watching him in that suberb team of the 80's week in week out, his enthusiasm,commitment,attitude was second to none.

IMHO gerrard would have found a place in the side of any era but for who ? very good question, as you say mate i would of hated dropping anyone of great teams gone by it's far easier to make that decision in our side right now.

sorry for not commiting to the debate mate but it's that hard for me to name any player from the years you mention.

totally agree tho gerrard is a red through & through, who will be remembered as a LFC legand.  :buttrock

Have to disagree with Craig Johston, I thought he was overated and just happened to be in a brilliant team at the time
roberto green

Postby NANNY RED » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:12 pm

dawson99 wrote:Everyone has to have Kenny, then a tough call between Rush and Keegan... then God.
Midfield Molby can't be beat in my book.

Molby absolute joy to watch Daws loved him. Never moved his ar.se just waited for the ball the bang. Unbeilevable ball player . never seen him make many tackles though.  :laugh: But once he had the ball very very hard to shift it off him.
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:15 pm

I may as well go the whole hog and name my best team (from the 60's on)

Clemance

Neal            Hanson   Hyypia     Nichol

Keegan        Gerrard     Souness      Barnes

Dalglish
                       Rush           

Hyypia is in because Hanson said in his book he wasn't comfortable challenging for balls in the air. Nichol because he seemed to have it all and with Neal also being comfortable in either role they could swop positions as and when they felt like it. The rest hopefully speak for themselves.

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion