agger
risse
pennant
alonso
mascherano
gerrard
crouch
kuyt

starting 4-4-2 with gerrard right and pennant left. also allows us to switch to a 4-2-3-1 with kuyt on the left and gerrard central. dont feel chelsea will leave enough space for bellamy to exploit. would use fowler from half time if we need goals. perhaps in a 3-5-2/3-4-3.

id be tempted to put sami in for risse and play agger left back but this may leave us narrow on the left if agger hasnt the capacity to get up and down all game.

reina

finnan          carra                        agger/hyypia              riise/agger

mascherano

alonso
                                                 gerrard

pennant
                                                               kuyt

crouch
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby stmichael » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:26 pm

The starting eleven for tomorrow (I have heard from a very reliable source).

Joe Corrigan

George Sephton
Pako
That fat steward from block 205
Gillet's Son

Ged Poynton
The manager from the Albert
Badgeman
Zenden

Phil Easton
Brian Hall

No subs - no injury worries.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby duk » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:30 pm

reina

finnan
carra
hyypia
riise

alonso
mascherano

pennant
gerrard
bellamy

crouch
duk

Postby cornetto1 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:56 pm

i think we'll setup like -

Reina

Finnan          Carragher       Agger   Riise

Pennant      Mascherano Alonso Gerrard

Kuyt Crouch

Anybody any thoughts on the possibilty of playing the three centre backs as we have at times this year - Hyypia, Carra and Agger, with Hyypia being better equipped to deal with Drogba's aerial presence than Agger was in the first leg? then we'd have Riise and Finnan being able to bomb further forward and put decent balls in the box, with Mascherano and Alonso still sitting in front of the defence, Gerrard in the hole supporting Kuyt and Crouch?? May be an idea in theory but i cant see any chance we'll line up like that considering we need to be so careful defensively as an away goal would be disastrous for us.
cornetto1

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:16 pm

Bamaga man wrote:This would be my starting 11 against Chelsea:

Reina

Finnan(if fit)  Carra    Hyypia    Arbeloa

Alonso   Gerrard  Mascha
        Pennant                                    Riise

Crouch

Providing Finnans not injured I'd line-up like this, if he is still injured my team would be:

Reina

Arbeola       Carra     Hyypia     Riise

Alonso  Gerrard  Mascha
          Pennant                              Gonzalez

Crouch

Those changes would be obvious IMO, the one that wasnt was Hyypia. After considering it I would opt for the experiance of Sami over Agger. But in saying that the problem I could see if Hyypia did start, and considering we're the ones looking for a goal. If we do push on then Drogba and co could could exploit our lack of pace at the back. For me thats where Agger might be a wiser choice, for recovery of pace. But in dealing with Drogba and Chelsea's high balls Hyypia is the man and also I think he'll mark him better during the course of the game. But it is a tough call.

If say after 65 mins that formation hasnt broken down, and we're looking devoid of ideas we could always pull one of Mascha or Xabi off to throw an extra striker on. If that still didnt work, I'd be inclined to pull off a full back add Agger go three at the back and swap another striker for the other full, and go hell for leather. Hopefully it wont come to that though
:sniffle

Its incredible how whether or not Finnan is fit we are going to be stronger/weaker at 3 different positions RB, LB, and LM, as I think most people would agree that our best option against Chelsea at LM would be riise since Zenden had loads of chances and never made a whole lot of it, and Gonzalez would probably be more of a liability than an asset even though he offers slightly more in attack with his pace, at least with Riise we have a fairly good defensive player at LM plus he offers the threat of connecting with a long strike that could come at any time.
JoeTerp

Postby Effes » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:51 pm

s@int wrote:Reina

Finnan  Carra    Agger    Arbeloa

Gerrard  Mascha
       Pennant                                    Riise
                         Kuyt
                              Crouch

That would be my team.

We shouldn't play 2 defensive midfielders at home needing a win.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:59 pm

I would be sorely tempted to line up 3-5-2. The 5 in midfield would put immense pressure on their attacking midfielders to stay back and defend. The extra man would mean that their fullbacks are pushed further up the pitch to support their wingers, leaving a nice hole for Pennant and Riise to exploit:

Reina

JC                Sami             Agger

Pennant                     Xabi                       Mascherano                         Riise

Gerrard

Crouch                      Bellamy.

I'd give explicit instructions to Mascherano to keep tabs on Cole, and Xabi to cut wide in support of Pennant when required. (Obviously Gerrard would drop back to cover the gap, thus ensuring our defensive solidity.

I honestly think this is the team to play, as it can easily alter into a 5-3-2, or a 4-4-2, giving us more options.

Arbeloa on the bench as cover, assuming Finnan is unfit.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:24 pm

2 things are going to see us safe tommorrow. The first is the return of Steve Finnan and the second is the injury to Carvalho (the horrible c*nt).

We were completely unbalanced last week - we had no right-sided potency at all.

Finnan works well with Pennant (who's been in great form recently) and also frees Gerrard to roam the midfield. Our natural balance will return with Riise attacking down the left and supporting  Arbeloa who looked better at left back. I'll go for a 4-4-1-1, although I rarely pick the same team as Rafa. I'd like the security of Alonso and Mascherano sitting in front of our defence watching particularly closely for Drogba. Remember one goal for the Ruskies and things will be difficult.

Chelski's defence was rock solid last week - Boularhouz will not know Terry's game as well as Carvalho does. Stevie and Crouchie will be able to exploit this. If Chelski score we could score three against this defence.

Reina
Finnan
Carragher
Agger
Arbeloa
Pennant
Alonso
Mascherano
Riise
Gerard
Crouch

Come on redmen - Let's feckin' kill these feckin' blue b'stards!

:buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock
Last edited by fivecups on Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:44 pm

Havent read through the thread, really tired in work but not sure if anyone has mentioned the line up for the Portsmouth game surely that indicated what sort of team he will play.

Reina

Finnan       Carragher    Agger      Arbeloa

Pennant     Mascherano  Gerrard   Riise

Crouch Kuyt

I reckon that will be the team without doubt.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gerrard30391 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:47 pm

Sorry hadn't seen this thread, just posted a new one!
"I certainly wouldn't say I'm the best manager in the business, but I'm in the top one."
Gerrard30391
LFC Super Member

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:50 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:Havent read through the thread, really tired in work but not sure if anyone has mentioned the line up for the Portsmouth game surely that indicated what sort of team he will play.

Reina

Finnan       Carragher    Agger      Arbeloa

Pennant     Mascherano  Gerrard   Riise

Crouch Kuyt

I reckon that will be the team without doubt.

Bascombe from the Echo reckons that Pennant's late cameo at LM against Pompey was in preparation for tomorrow, mate.  Personally, I'd rather see Gerrard at LM than Pennant if Riise's required at LB--Pennant is very, very one-footed and does not pose the same sort of scoring threat from distance that Gerrard would cutting infield on his right foot.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby fivecups » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:51 pm

I hear Finnan is likely to be fit.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:00 pm

robben and essien are back and carvalho, sheva, and ballack are out   and finnan and i guess now kewell are back for us
JoeTerp

Postby LFC #1 » Tue May 01, 2007 3:55 am

stmichael wrote:The starting eleven for tomorrow (I have heard from a very reliable source).

Joe Corrigan

George Sephton
Pako
That fat steward from block 205
Gillet's Son

Ged Poynton
The manager from the Albert
Badgeman
Zenden

Phil Easton
Brian Hall

No subs - no injury worries.

The road enders would have a fit!  :D
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Espionage » Tue May 01, 2007 7:02 am

I am really interested in our formation for this one.  I cant be bothered posting one as its all been said.  I think that there is a pretty good outside chance that Rafa will use the sub of someone link Pennant (if he starts) for Hypia as the trump card.  Get three at the back and nullify their lack of width.  You might say they are pretty strong around the wings but I fear Drogba more then Joe Cole or Robben. 

3-5-2/5-3-2 is a really flexible formation and great for do-or-die matches.  Rafa has used it before and I think he will again tomorrow morning (well for me anyway).
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion