Formation against chelsea - What formation would you pick?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Formation against chelsea - What formation would you pick?

4-4-1-1
50%
4-4-2
50%

Total votes : 46

Postby Sabre » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:34 pm

SJD wrote:
DCFC wrote:I'll go with what Rafa decides, he's a master at tactics :bowdown

In Europe - Correct.

In England - Not yet.

The potential is there but he tends to think too much about the opposition sometimes. For examples look at Bolton (A), Everton (A) and Villa (A).

He is too busy counter-acting their tactics to worry about ours sometimes. Also the rotation was baffling at the start of the season.

But he's a very good manager nonetheless.

Among the big clubs of Spain, and AFAICT in the big clubs of England, there seems to exist this school of thought:

"We have to have our style, it's the opposition who has to worry about us, not the opposite".

Well, I disagree. I preffer a manager that picks the best men, and the best formation to do the biggest harm to the opposition. Don't you think?

Also, I wanted to ask you, what did you see wrong in the Everton Away game concerning tactics? It's been a while, but I remember it as a game we controlled, we failed chances, and they fúcked us in a couple of counters and due to our mistakes.

I agree some of the squads picked in the early season were baffling though.
Last edited by Sabre on Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:47 pm

why not go for 3-5-2, they are missing key defensive players so why not just attack them like we did milan and get the 0-3 result?? This is a great opportunity to get a result at there home ground so why not just go for it??
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SJD » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:09 am

Sabre wrote:
SJD wrote:
DCFC wrote:I'll go with what Rafa decides, he's a master at tactics :bowdown

In Europe - Correct.

In England - Not yet.

The potential is there but he tends to think too much about the opposition sometimes. For examples look at Bolton (A), Everton (A) and Villa (A).

He is too busy counter-acting their tactics to worry about ours sometimes. Also the rotation was baffling at the start of the season.

But he's a very good manager nonetheless.

Among the big clubs of Spain, and AFAICT in the big clubs of England, there seems to exist this school of thought:

"We have to have our style, it's the opposition who has to worry about us, not the opposite".

Well, I disagree. I preffer a manager that picks the best men, and the best formation to do the biggest harm to the opposition. Don't you think?

Also, I wanted to ask you, what did you see wrong in the Everton Away game concerning tactics? It's been a while, but I remember it as a game we controlled, we failed chances, and they fúcked us in a couple of counters and due to our mistakes.

I agree some of the squads picked in the early season were baffling though.

The manager should pick the best team and the best formations and tactics to suit the opposition. I agree with that on some parts.

When we play a big club it comes down to the tactics because the personall on the pitch are all equal or better than our current crop of players.

However when we meet the smaller clubs we should impose our style and our play on them. United and Chelsea both don't sit back and wait to see what the opposition do. They attack and play to their strengths.

In no way is this meant to sound patronising but your from Spain so your ideology is based on the Spanish game more than the English game.  For instance the Spanish eqivelent of even Watford play decent football where the players are better technically with the ball and the manager will play refined tactics to test your team. However in England its much more of a physical kick and run, kick and run where detailed analysis doesn't come into it.
SJD

Postby JBG » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:09 am

Kharhaz wrote:why not go for 3-5-2, they are missing key defensive players so why not just attack them like we did milan and get the 0-3 result?? This is a great opportunity to get a result at there home ground so why not just go for it??

What planet are you on? Look at the players they have fit.  ???
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby SJD » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:11 am

And the Everton thing - I'll answer in more detail tomorrow. The missus is calling me up and I don't have the time to get into it I'm afraid.

Same for the Sissoko thread Stu The Red.

Thanks for entertaining me and hope to chat in the future.

In a bit.
SJD

Postby Sabre » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:14 am

In no way is this meant to sound patronising but your from Spain so your ideology is based on the Spanish game more than the English game.

How could that sound patronising? That's a fact.

I come here to learn, and that's why asked. :) Keep up the good stuff.

Karhaz: We've only tested 3 centre backs against a weak team that played direct football... cannot remember what game it was, it was an away game. We shouldn't test in Chelsea game something that's not tested. The formation used against Arsenal though, has been used thoroughly by Rafa and tested in several games.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:23 am

Oh yeah JPG your right, lets see they have Frank Lampard (I'll let lando say his piece on him) they have Joe Cole (Ever a world beater if ever is saw one) they also have Drogba, Shevchenko, errrr im trying to pick off players i should be afraid of here....oh yeah the guy from platoon....robben.....
The only guy we will be frustrated with from what I can see is Cech. I just dont see any other Chelsea player as a threat.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:24 am

Did we not use that formation against milan and get a result?
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GLB1 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:45 am

Kharhaz wrote:Oh yeah JPG your right, lets see they have Frank Lampard (I'll let lando say his piece on him) they have Joe Cole (Ever a world beater if ever is saw one) they also have Drogba, Shevchenko, errrr im trying to pick off players i should be afraid of here....oh yeah the guy from platoon....robben.....
The only guy we will be frustrated with from what I can see is Cech. I just dont see any other Chelsea player as a threat.

I think he was referring to the fact that you said they are missing key defensive players ??

Do they have any injuries in defense ?
GLB1

Postby Raoul » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:00 am

Rafa's team will be:

Reina

Finnan     Carra     Agger     Arbeloa

Mascherano        Alonso

Pennant       Gerrard        Riise

Kuyt

Bench: Dudek, Hyypia, Gonzo, Crouch, Bellamy

I'd be happy with that, though I think I would prefer to have Crouch up front.

Of course, he'll probably surprise with Gerrard and Gonzo on the flanks of a 4-4-2...
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:04 am

Raoul wrote:                   Reina

Finnan     Carra     Agger     Arbeloa

Mascherano        Alonso

Pennant       Gerrard        Riise

Kuyt

I'd be happy with that, though I think I would prefer to have Crouch up front.

So your vote is 4-4-1-1 ?
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby shineshin » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:50 am

watever is it.......gerrad always in the midfilder....
if not it would be worse.....
bellamy maybe can put him on the right hand side while stirker is crouch and kuyt....
crouch push more forward while kuyt can run about the penalty area.......:)
shineshin

Postby fowlers 5 fingers » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:32 am

4 4 2 as long as kuyt is benched
fowlers 5 fingers

Postby Red_Freak » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:43 am

Definitely 4-4-1-1

Reina

Finnan      Carragher         Agger        Arbeloa

Alonso           Mascherano

Pennant                                               Riise

Gerrard

Crouch
Red_Freak

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:58 am

4-4-2.

I'd put out this team.

Reina

Finnan  Carra  Agger  Arbeloa

Gerrard   Xabi   Mascherano  Riise

Crouch   Bellamy

The back 4 more or less picks itself IMO and I think we should and try accomodate Mascherano and Xabi in the side (Rafa may go with Sissoko over JM but i hope not). Riise on the left is by far our best option as he offers a goal threat going forward and will hope Arbeloa out defensivley. Arbeloa's ability to overlap will also create space for Riise and make up for his inability to take the right back on and beat him. Gerrard on the right playing a roaming type role, as I think Rafa will want the two holding players to break down Chelsea's attacks with Gerrard playing in front of them.

As for the front two, I think that is our best combination.  Defensively it is hardest to set up against IMO as if Chelsea play a high line then it gives the opportunity for Bellamy to get in behind and punish them, whereas as if they play a deeper line it gives space for Crouch to bring the ball down and bring Gerrard and to a lesser extent Riise into play in the 'hole' between midfield and defence.  Chelsea will play a holding player like Makelele to try and counter this I would think.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion