Formation against chelsea - What formation would you pick?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Formation against chelsea - What formation would you pick?

4-4-1-1
50%
4-4-2
50%

Total votes : 46

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:01 am

Sabre wrote:I know I'm going to be in the side with less votes, but for Stamford Bridge, I'd pick a 4-4-1-1. I don't consider it defensive, and the results with that system have been 3 wins, and a draw. One of the wins, against Arsenal.

The only doubt I have is who to put forward, and the left side of the team. I'd play Gerrard on front of Mascherano and Alonso, with Pennant on the right.

I too like that formation. I think Pennants form of late has given Rafa a few things to think about. Saying this I don't know whether Rafa will be happy with Pennants defensive qualities against the likes of Joe Cole and SWP.

Its true to say if Rafa goes with -

Pennant     Mascherano      Alonso     Riise

Gerrard
                              Crouch/Kuyt

that the right wing is a defensive risk area, whereas Rafa may choose to play it safe and go with -

Gerrard     Mascherano      Alonso     Riise

Bellamy
                              Crouch/Kuyt

It's definitely gunna be interesting to see how Rafa approaches the game. Rafa isn't a mug and won't be going into the game thinking Chelsea are for the taking based on the fact we have a good pedigree in cup competitions against them.

I'd like to think we'll walk out 2-3 nil winners but in reality I'd still be happy with a draw.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:03 am

4-4-2 for me. i think about 8 or 9 of the starting eleven picks itself. the only questions for me are who plays upfront and who partners alonso in CM.

imo this game is ideal for bellamy's pace on the counter. infact i wouldn't be surprised at all to see the same side that started in the nou camp. if we can go there and play with two upfront, we can go to stamford bridge and do exactly the same.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:05 am

stmichael wrote:infact i wouldn't be surprised at all to see the same side that started in the nou camp. if we can go there and play with two upfront, we can go to stamford bridge and do exactly the same.

Precisely what I was thinking. We will set up very simialrly if not the same.

A 2-1 result like last time would be nice as well!    :D
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:21 am

the last time bellamy played more than 50 minutes was the goaless draw against Villa.  Not sure if I would risk starting him especially with Kuyt (2 on the weekend and against reading)and Crouch (hat trick vs. arsenal and goal in each of our last two euro matches) on mini scoring runs lately.  Bellamy could be a very useful sub as his pace would be even more damaging against a tired defense.
JoeTerp

Postby stmichael » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:58 am

i really hope he doesn't play gerrard as a second striker.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Sabre » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:08 pm

Perhaps language gap again, but the position that has been playing Gerrard against Arsenal or Middlesborough or Reading wasn't a second striker, but an attacking midfielder. "Half Forward" in Spanish, where as the role of Bellamy in the team often is of second striker (the vocabulary is different for me, so do correct me please)

The role of Gerrard in that position is to receive the ball backwards to the goal often, be a link between the striker, the wings, and the middle of the park. It's a tough position to play, most players do not appear much in that position, but Gerrard is very good and he does. Actually, I think it's one of the most natural positions for him (Hope Stu doesn't get angry) because despite he doesn't have the freedom of the right wing (he's more closely marked), he can try his stuff, shooting from range, enter the box, and the loss of position or undiscipline is not a problem: if he loses the ball trying to do one of his things, he'll be well covered.

Yes, I know he's a pure midfielder aswell, and that he could be natural in every midfielder position, but that role is very difficult to play, and he does superbly. We'll see scoring Gerrard in that position. IMHO

P.S. A second striker also is often behind the striker, but in Gerrard's position the Attacking midfielder, can and must go to deeper positions to create superiorities in number, and will be one of the first men to touch the ball in a counter attack.
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:45 pm

What ever you want you want to call the formation , Rafa will play two holding players in the mddle imo ,namely Alonso and Mascherano. You can put whomever else in the midfield where you want to , but that will be our central midfield partnership.
Last edited by Igor Zidane on Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby monkey 20 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:14 pm

ok, here's what i would play

Reina

finnan      carra      agger    riise
                 mascherano
pennant   sissoko     alonso    gerrard

Crouch

pennant has been extremely useful of late, and if we play will alonso, sissoko and mascherano, then his lack of defensive capabilities does not harm us so much and we can use his attacking prowess to great effect. having pennant in the team also means that crouch or whoever benitez decides to play up front will be getting quality crosses! having gerrard on the left will expose their weakness at right back, with ferreira and diarra being very frail! gerrad can also drift inwards because he'll have that midfield power and streng behind him, and rafa can use sissoko to patch up wherever stevie goes!
i really want to see momo start destroying players again, and if he plays with alonso and mascherano he wont have the duty of passing the ball around to much, he can just give it onto them and play the destroying role.

what you guys think bout this formation?
monkey 20

Postby redhayesy » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:20 pm

stmichael wrote:i really hope he doesn't play gerrard as a second striker.

totally agree st mick,this is not the type of game to chance something like that,he needs to be bossing the midfield & inspiring those around him,play him where he will have maxium imput to the team,& being a second striker certainlt wouldn"t achieve that!
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:28 pm

An interesting dilemma here with many factors to consider:

1) Rafa usually throws Jose a curveball tactically and usually to good effect so don't be surprised to see something unusual

2) Essien is suspended and I think both Carvalho and Ballack are doubtful with injuries.  If all three are out, we should get after them early like we did at Anfield

3) On our side, Riise has to play LM because he always hurts Chelsea and I like him for another of his big goals in this one.  Unfortunately we'll be without Garcia and Kewell, two players who have given them all kinds of trouble in recent meetings.

For me, I'd prefer to see the following 4-4-2:

Reina

Finnan      Carragher           Agger         Arbeloa

Gerrard     Alonso             Mascherano      Riise

Kuyt                Bellamy

It's a tough one, though, because Pennant and Crouch have been in good form of late.  Also, as much as Sissoko can frustrate, he can do a job in these kinds of games.  But, I think the above line-up, with Pennant, Crouch, Sissoko, Hyypia, Dudek, Gonzales and Fowler on the bench is what I'd like to see.

Now, having said that, I actually think Rafa might play the following, since we've been "practicing" it the last few games:

Reina

Finnan      Carragher          Agger      Arbeloa

Alonso            Sissoko

Pennant               Gerrard                Riise

Kuyt

The problem with this formation, for me, is Gerrard.  It doesn't make the most of his natural assets, including perhaps his best offensive asset: surging runs from deep positions.  Gerrard is very hard to pick up when he comes from deep and he can beat you with both a long shot or by feigning a shot and then surging past and into the box (not to mention through a well-executed 1-2 with someone on the edge of the area).  Put him in "the hole" and he gets smothered too easily.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:37 pm

as well as he's been plating recently i just can't see pennant starting this game. even in a 4-2-3-1 i can see him starting bellamy on the right. he can play this role effectively. just look at how he absolutely murdered vidic from that position in the game at anfield a few weeks back.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby club_Levis » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:39 pm

SJD wrote:Hyypia.

Hypia is past it and cant handle Drogba. Agger should start ahead of him tomorrow.
club_Levis

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:45 pm

I would be more than happy with your first team Badbob, maybe swapping Kuyt for Bellamy just to stretch them more.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:57 pm

Bad Bob wrote:An interesting dilemma here with many factors to consider:

1) Rafa usually throws Jose a curveball tactically and usually to good effect so don't be surprised to see something unusual

2) Essien is suspended and I think both Carvalho and Ballack are doubtful with injuries.  If all three are out, we should get after them early like we did at Anfield

3) On our side, Riise has to play LM because he always hurts Chelsea and I like him for another of his big goals in this one.  Unfortunately we'll be without Garcia and Kewell, two players who have given them all kinds of trouble in recent meetings.

For me, I'd prefer to see the following 4-4-2:

Reina

Finnan      Carragher           Agger         Arbeloa

Gerrard     Alonso             Mascherano      Riise

Kuyt                Bellamy

It's a tough one, though, because Pennant and Crouch have been in good form of late.  Also, as much as Sissoko can frustrate, he can do a job in these kinds of games.  But, I think the above line-up, with Pennant, Crouch, Sissoko, Hyypia, Dudek, Gonzales and Fowler on the bench is what I'd like to see.

Now, having said that, I actually think Rafa might play the following, since we've been "practicing" it the last few games:

Reina

Finnan      Carragher          Agger      Arbeloa

Alonso            Sissoko

Pennant               Gerrard                Riise

Kuyt

The problem with this formation, for me, is Gerrard.  It doesn't make the most of his natural assets, including perhaps his best offensive asset: surging runs from deep positions.  Gerrard is very hard to pick up when he comes from deep and he can beat you with both a long shot or by feigning a shot and then surging past and into the box (not to mention through a well-executed 1-2 with someone on the edge of the area).  Put him in "the hole" and he gets smothered too easily.

I think your second line up is near the mark Bob ,with hopefully mascherano in for momo, that's the only change i'd make.
I really hope and pray he doesn't play gerrard on the left, he would do a job and probably a good one, but he needs to be in the middle in the thick of things so to speak.

Wether that's as a central midfielder or in the hole as a second striker ,he has to be in the centre of things to have a greater impact.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:29 pm

For people advocating 4-4-1-1 who are you playing off which loan striker and where do you see the goals coming from if neither of those scores? That is assuming you want an away goal, 0-0 would be an ok result but I doubt we'll better 2-0 at home against Chelsea and it could well come down to the odd goal or even away goals
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion