Spurs on saturday - Time to put down a marker

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:24 pm

very tough game coming up this weekend but i still fully expect us to win, and here's why.

spurs are still an enigma if you ask me. yes they've got some extremely talented young players but this season they've been completely overhyped and overrated by all sections of the media. they're not a top 4 team in my opinion and if they make europe in any capacity they'll have done well. they do have an excellent manager though and he's done a good job there, but on saturday i think they're in for a lesson.

it can't be understated how well we've actually played since losing at palace in the carling cup. the fact that the team almost picks itself these days is a bonus and the managers faith in crouch and inparticular kewell is beginning to pay dividends.

only chelsea have scored at anfield in the league this season. ok the defence has looked a bit shaky in recent games but we've still got the second best defensive record in the premiership. spurs are erratic to say the least away from home. they got well and truly battered at west brom a few weeks back and also threw away a two goal lead at leicester to crash out of the fa cup. their two main leaders, ledley king and edgar davids are both out injured. if you ask me, this is a good time to play spurs. win and we're four points ahead of spurs with two games in hand.

it will be interesting to see the formation that we use, i.e. whether we go with a conventional 4-4-2 or go with a 4-2-3-1. despite sinama's showing last week i think cisse will probably start upfront with crouch with gerrard reverting back to the right side. whoever plays, i expect us to win the game and keep the pressure on manure, who i expect to win the derby against city.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:33 pm

I totally agree, Spurs always look like challenging the top four but always fall away after christmas, a lot similar to Charlton.

Being a home game I would like to see us go for the jugular straight away, a lot like we have in previous games. More importantly a good win on saturday will give us extra motivation to beat Man Utd the following sunday.

I think Rafa will stick to the formation that has paid most dividends:

Reina

Finnan     Carragher     Hyypia     Riise

Gerrard     Alonso     Hamann     Kewell

Crouch      Cisse

Although I wouldn't be surprised is Sinama-Pongolle earned a place in the starting XI after his performance against Luton - then again it was Luton, he does have an element of inconsistency in his game.

On the Agger front, I can't see Rafa starting him before the FA Cup 4th Rnd. I think he may use the FA Cup to debut him.
Last edited by SouthCoastShankly on Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:48 pm

Deffo think Rafa will go with the usual 11 on saturday. I think the defensive mistakes that we saw at luton were a case of too many games in too short a time, for the whole 90 minutes i thought that a few of the lads looked very leggy and especially Sami, They've had nearly a full weeks break between games now so hopefully their fitness levels will have been boosted a little and with 'spurs suffering a couple of key injuries i can see us taking the points on saturday, i think i'm also correct in saying that 'spurs have got a really poor record on the road this sesaon and an even poorer record at anfield which we'll hopefully take full advantage of on saturday.As for the mancs i think we'll even close the gap on them as i think they are ripe for dropping points at city after a few under par performances in their last couple of games.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:53 pm

Liverpool 3 : Spurs 0

Reina

Jan K     Carragher     Hyypia     Riise

Finnan    Gerrard   Alonso      Kewell

Crouch      Cisse
LiverpoolMadman

Postby stmichael » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:00 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:On the Agger front, I can't see Rafa starting him before the FA Cup 4th Rnd. I think he may use the FA Cup to debut him.

Agree.

I think we'll give him a couple of weeks to get up to speed as he isn't desperately needed at the moment. Don't change what isn't broken.
Last edited by stmichael on Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:07 pm

LiverpoolMadman wrote:Liverpool 3 : Spurs 0

Reina

Jan K     Carragher     Hyypia     Riise

Finnan    Gerrard   Alonso      Kewell

Crouch      Cisse

Interesting team selection.   

I can't see Raffa playing Steve Finnan out of position.  Stevie Gerrard has been very influential in the games where he has played wide right, so I just can't see him playing with an experimental team against one of our immediate rivals.
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:30 pm

Interesting team selection.  I can't see Raffa playing Steve Finnan out of position.  Stevie Gerrard has been very influential in the games where he has played wide right, so I just can't see him playing with an experimental team against one of our immediate rivals.

Maybe you right but the most important thing is Liverpool to win this game .
LiverpoolMadman

Postby banana » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:38 pm

We will beat them. Their only real quality is Davids and Lee. Alonso and Gerrard shoould dominate the lesser opponents Carrick and Jenas. I do fear a slow back line could be in trouble if Keane or Defoe can get hold of the ball. 3 goals for Luton and 2 goals for Bolton is way too much.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby MilitiaRusher » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:56 pm

My team, and an expected bashing from Stu:

Reina

Kromkamp  Carragher  Hyypia  Riise

Gerrard  Alonso  Hamann  Kewell

Cisse  Crouch

SUBS: Carson, Agger, Sissoko, Garcia, Pongolle.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:00 pm

Finnan should definitely play, he is the best RB we have. Kromkamp look suseful but has to prove his worth before he starts. I would imagine Rafa playing both Agger and Kromkamp in the 4th Round FA Cup first
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:01 pm

with ledley king out, i expect crouch to be increasingly influential in the match. anthony gardner, who will probably end up marking him, is average at best.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby BringBackTiti » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:04 pm

I'd like to see us go out and put pressure on spurs early, if we give them time to settle it could end up being a very tight game becuase we all know they have got the pace to hurt us at the back(lennon,keane and defoe). Hopefully there heads will be down with the result in the cup.

My starting line up would be:

Reina

Finnan           Carra            Hyypia         Risse

Alonso
Gerrard                                               Kewell

Garcia(if fit)

Cisse           Crouch

But I wouldnt mind to see Pongulle getting a run out after the Luton game maybe for Cisse.
''I talk about the table. We need a leg, so I have bought a leg.'' Rafa Benitez
BringBackTiti
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:34 pm

I don't like garcia to play in the CM. SG and Alonso should play together in the CM.
LiverpoolMadman

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:36 pm

2nd choice

Liverpool 3 : Spurs 0

Reina

Finnan     Carragher     Hyypia     Riise

SG    Sisoko   Alonso      Kewell

Crouch      Cisse
LiverpoolMadman

Postby mighty mo » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:37 pm

2-0 gerrard and crouchinho
mighty mo