A saturday six - Qs for you to a

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The Ace1983 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:06 pm

1. For the past couple of years, Rafa has pulled a player from the teams relegated from the premiership and turned their careers around. Crouch was first, then Pennant. Is there anyone that you can see who could fit this profile this time around?

2. What do you believe is the one, most important aspect that we are missing in terms of us becoming a championship contending team?

3. Is there any one player that you are desperate to lose this summer? Do we have a squad member whose exit would be better than him staying?

4. 2 teams finished above us this season, man Utd and Chelsea. Which one player out of their squads combined do you think would improve Liverpool the most, and why?

5. With Alonso signing a new contract, and the prospect of more wingers coming in so that Stevie will probably spend most of next season in the middle, is Sissoko's time up? rafa obviously favors Mascherano as a more complete player and Lucas has arrived in reserve, so is the middle now too crowded for a player that might fetch a sizable amount from teams in Italy and Spain?

6. You have five pounds in your pocket and your in the bookies. Would you put it on Liverpool to win the league, any cup, or both? Or none?
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:28 pm

1. For the past couple of years, Rafa has pulled a player from the teams relegated from the premiership and turned their careers around. Crouch was first, then Pennant. Is there anyone that you can see who could fit this profile this time around?

I don't know well the other premiership teams, and I'd like to read your answers.

2. What do you believe is the one, most important aspect that we are missing in terms of us becoming a championship contending team?

More quality depth in the squad, and a couple of major signings for left wing and upfront.

3. Is there any one player that you are desperate to lose this summer? Do we have a squad member whose exit would be better than him staying?

The ones that were crucial for me, the spine, are renewed. So I wouldn't be desperate if we sold a Luis Garcia or a Bellamy now, despite I'd like them to continue.

4. 2 teams finished above us this season, man Utd and Chelsea. Which one player out of their squads combined do you think would improve Liverpool the most, and why?

I don't know well them in depth, Chelsea's CBs seem very good, and both teams have been efficient in the left wing. We have very good CB aswell, but Agger had to pay the tax of being almost a newbie, and he has to get more experience. I'd happily have one of their CBs or left wingers. Not too impressed with their strikers, except for Rooney, who despite I dislike him, I think he's very good.

5. With Alonso signing a new contract, and the prospect of more wingers coming in so that Stevie will probably spend most of next season in the middle, is Sissoko's time up? rafa obviously favors Mascherano as a more complete player and Lucas has arrived in reserve, so is the middle now too crowded for a player that might fetch a sizable amount from teams in Italy and Spain?

No, it's a bless having that depth. Sissoko's time is out? not necessarily, I think he won't have a role as important as until now, but he'd be very useful for the squad at some points of the next season, we all know what he can provide.

6. You have five pounds in your pocket and your in the bookies. Would you put it on Liverpool to win the league, any cup, or both? Or none?

League.
Last edited by Sabre on Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:34 pm

Hopefully not, I was hoping for bigger and better this time around.

Creativity in the final third, sometimes it seems a little too easy to defend against us.

Apart from Zenden and Gonzales (who I am sure will go) I would only sell a player if we needed the money to strengthen elsewhere or we could get better for his position.

Ronaldo, if he could reproduce last seasons form for us we would be on our way to the title.

No, but if Lucas is the player we all hope he is, there will probably be one to go after next season. I would sell Sissoko if it meant we could sign a top striker like Eto'o or Tevez (same reasons as I would have sold Alonso)

Any cup
Last edited by account deleted by request on Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby dawson99 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:38 pm

1: same as saint. we could sign bent or someone, but this season we gotta look bigger than that.

2: we are missing belief i think. we got to attack more, go for it. oh and we need some new players :D

3: no one i desperately want to leave. bellamy if we got the money i suppose.

4: hate to say this, but Drogba. We create so many chances all i want is someone who can score a lot of goals.

5: can never be too crowded, the season is long and the players will be used

6: if i had £5 in my pocket id have someone elses trousers :;):
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby grayghost » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:00 pm

Q1.... We need at least to sign 2 great players this season. (Tevez,Quresma.) We only have SG as are only world class talent when Man u and Chelski have them all over the team. We need to add that quality. So  i cant see any one who fits that bill in relagation.

Q2....Creatvity. The abilty to get in behind a defence with a neat pass. Are strikers have nether the abilty ur the creatvity to creat this situation they are 2 slow ur do not have the knowladge to make a timed run in behind. A player who i belive could solve that is Tevez.

Q3..... Peter Crouch yes i no he has done rearly well but we could get 10 mil for him now with the form he has been in but with the new striker we are destined to bring in then his chances seem limated and his transfer fee will go down sell now while we could make a decent profit.

Q4.... Drogba he score the goals. Ronaldo he creates the goals. no more has to be said.

Q5.... It depends on how much off a transfer kitty we have if we have a lot and we don't need to sell then i think loaning him out to a good club would benifit us greatly. But if Rafa has not been given the funds we were lead to belive then if a offer for sissko came in in the region of 15 mil then the smart thing to do would be sell.

Q6.... right now it would be the cups but if we sign the players i have mention ur players who could do the same job i would put that 5 quid on for the prem ............. it's only 5 quid after all. :D :D
grayghost

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:13 pm

The Ace1983 wrote:1. For the past couple of years, Rafa has pulled a player from the teams relegated from the premiership and turned their careers around. Crouch was first, then Pennant. Is there anyone that you can see who could fit this profile this time around?

1) Bent

2) Attacking flair, and the abilty fo be ruthless infront of goal.

3) I dont think so, the ones who have already been shown the door are enough for me ie Gonzalez and Zenden.

4) C. Ronaldo. Nuff said really attacking flair is what we need and there is no doubting him. Him and Gerrard part of a midfield would be amazing IMO.

5) Yes I think so, still a useful player and I wouldnt get rid personally but Rafa maybe tempted, like you said the middlefield is getting crowded now so ....

6) Yes, each and every time I'd put a dickie on Liverpool to win the league, I could never bet on another team.
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby weringo » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:15 pm

The Ace1983 wrote:1. For the past couple of years, Rafa has pulled a player from the teams relegated from the premiership and turned their careers around. Crouch was first, then Pennant. Is there anyone that you can see who could fit this profile this time around?

1. Darren Bent would be a decent signing imo.

2. Personel, our first XI simply isn't good enough atm, strikers & wingers in particular.

3. Zenden - what the hell are we doing with this guy playing him in the champions league final?

4. Drogba, he causes the opposition so much trouble with his power and pace, and he knows how to take a chance. His touch and movement has improved a lot as well since he came to England.

5. If we can get a good price for him, something around 15 million then I wouldn't say no to letting him go, but atm hes a very good backup.

6. I would stick £5 on us winning the Champions League.
weringo
LFC Super Member

Postby Elchris » Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:52 pm

1.From the relegated team i would go for phil jagielka or darren bent

2.Creativity and Flair.We have almost everything else

3.Zenden and gonzales.If we could offload bellamy for 9k

4. Cristiano Ronaldo. Creativity and Flair

5.Yes the midfield place has gotten crowded , and a young player like sissoko need to be playing as much as he can , rather then rotting in the bench , selling him for a good fee will be great.We have the place covered.

6. any cup
Elchris

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:23 pm

1) Last time around I believe Pennant was Rafa's third or fourth choice winger, had the funds been available IMO we would have signed Simao or Alves. Crouch was a signing who IMO Rafa signed to enable us to hold the ball up better and allow our more creative players to feed off i.e. he suited the role. As for the current situation I don't see any players within the relegated sides other than Bent who could fulfill a role with us. I believe Bent would be a good signing but not for the type of money believed to be touted around, and I would expect us to be looking at a higher calibre of player in any case.

2) Two top class wingers and a lethal finisher, and also more character shown away from home.

3) Gonzales the obvious candidate. Zenden wouldn't be so much of a hinderance if he stayed, as Rafa called him the "glue" within the team - but not up to the standard required IMO so he should leave.

4) Although it's an unrealistic question, the type of player we need on the wing would be similar to C Ronaldo.

5) The midfield is the most demanding area of the pitch, Chelsea have 6 midfielders, Arsenal have plenty aswell, and the Mancs have just signed Hargreaves. It is perfect as it is IMO, Rafa has a plan and he would not sign players for the sake of it, nor would he give players new contracts just to keep them happy. There is a long match schedule, there will be injuries, fatigue and dips in form, occassionally we may need a different game strategy that uses different midfielders. Lucas is unproven, he needs to adapt just like Denilson did at Arsenal and I don't expect him to dissent if not playing regularly - there is a mark of humility in some of his comments.

6) 5 quid on the league.
LFC2007

Postby adamnbarrett » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:51 pm

Possibly Darren Bent from Charlton. He's got pace and knows where the goal is but I still think we need better quality players.

We need some pacy attacking impetus in the final third. I'd also love us to show more fight and throw the kitchen sink at teams to get a win whatever the minute like Man Utd and Chelsea do. Hoe many times do we see them grind out results after going behind.

Zenden adds nothing except off the field things as he speaks many languages and helps players settle in. Gonzalez aswell probably.

A winger like Ryan Giggs or a striker like Didier Drogba.

I don't think so really, as we know Rafa likes to rotate and injuries also have a bearing on the team. I think with a midfield that strong, we can lose central midfield players to injury without really weakening the team in a huge way.

Any cup probably, I don't think we'll challenge for the league this season. Maybe next season though.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:00 pm

1. Nobody really, think we should be aiming higher

2. Quality is the main thing, then strength in depth and a striker who can score, you know like a striker is supposed to

3. Zenden and Gonzalez, was always sh.itting myself when Zenden touched the ball and gonzalez did nothing but frustrate me

4. Cristiano Ronaldo. Got the quality we need. Even though hes a c.unt.

5. Think we should probably sell. Gerrard, Mascherano, Alonso and now Lucas in the middle, when will he get the chance to play. If we get a good fee i say sell

6. Any cup most probably, would like to see us winning the league but cant see it at the moment, maybe some good signings will change my mind!  :D  With the current squad, not going to happen.
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:30 pm

1- Darren Bent

2- Consistency and attitude away from home.

3- Cisse.

4- Ronaldo from Man Utd due his pace and attacking capability. Drogba from Chelsea due to his strength.

5- Quite possibly if we get a good offer. I'd like to see Sissoko stay and develop, but I am concerned about his sloppy tackling and passing.

6- One of the cups.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ken_job » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:15 pm

1. Darren Bent. Without a doubt.

2. A striker...many games away from home we have played ok, created chances and pressed hard in the first half only to miss chances and go behind. We simply dont score enough goals.

3. Hard to say that a fan can be 'desperate' to lose any player but Dudek is definately past his sell-by date. good-bye and thanks for the memories

4.Christiano Ronaldo would provide the penetration, flair and goals that we lack. I dont like saying so but the boy is class.

5. The temptation to sell momo might be too high. However Lucas cant be expected to settle into the first team for 6months to a year. Injuries can always be the end of a teams assault on the title so I would keep them all. 5 central midfielders (minus Lucas) cant be seen as TOO many by todays standards. And what a midfiled it is!

6. F.A.  winners....even if we sign our no.1 targets I wouldnt expect us to win the league next season.
ken_job

Postby redtrader74 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:38 pm

Q1 Nothing inspirational here, only Bent can fit the profile you have suggested, but IMHO Crouch and Pennant were bought when our transfer budget had to be spread over 3-4 players. I doubt they were primary choice players, more horses for courses given the necessity to strengthen all over the pitch. We shouldn't be looking for bargain basement this year, this year should be about adding 2 top quality, first choice players.

Q2 I think 2 things hindered our chances the most, the mentality seems all wrong when we play the 'small' (Evertons) Clubs, maybe Rafa does not believe the team is strong enough, but i think they should worry about us, we should go out and tear them apart. Instead, i could be wrong, we look like we are trying to negate them first.
Secondly the lack of a clinical striker,we have made some good chances but failed to convert, we need someone that would have the oppo defenders on the backfoot, a player whose pace, strength and quality panics them, additionally this should create space for our other forwards. Nobody is worried about Crouch and Kuyt, good, decent committed players, but not what our club should be solely relying on.

Q3 I desperatly want to get rid of Cisse, LeTallac. 3 Years into Rafas reign and we still have these 2 on our books, wtf, cut all ties, get rid.

Q4 Ugly as sin he may be, reacts like a submarine thats seen a u-boat as soon as he feels contact, but Drogba would have won us the league, without any doubt for me, it cannot be proven, but i am sure. He is also a player that fits what Rafa likes, lots of effort, commitment and team player. Look at the number of times it is him clearing oppostion corners.

Q5 Im not so sure we will get a right winger and still think that Rafa will rotate Pennant and Gerrard. So i think Sissoko will still be needed. I've said it lots, and will say again, we only have Mascherano for certain 1 more year. If he goes then, how stupid will it look to have sold Momo? He is very young, so his value shouldn't fall even if we sell him in 2 years, when he is 24.

Q6 That Fiver stays in my pocket until i know that we have bought a top forward, if that happens, it goes on the LEAGUE.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:16 pm

1. Darren bent is the only one who's anywhere near good enough, and even now i've still got doubts about him.

2. Creativity plain and simple. Not enough game changers in the squad, Gerrard and Garcia aside.

3. Definitely Cisse. Not good enough and never will be. To be honest I'd have tried to keep hold of Pongolle rather than bringing in Voronin but that's another story.

4. Christiano Ronaldo. Think he's overrated by many (he's had one good season ffs) but he's still light years better than anything we've got.

5. Not at all. This Lucas guy won't be going straight into the first team and Gerrard will still be used in several positions next season. Sissoko is still a vital tool who will come into his own in certain high profile games, especially away from home. See Barca away last season as an example when he was outstanding.

6. I 'd put money on us to win the CL again. The League might still be out of reach unless we're seriously at it from day 1.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion