SEBASTIAN COATES - Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby the return of HAS » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:39 am

I think he has been a big plus point this season. Apart from the own goal against Udinese, which was a very difficult ball to deal with, he was man of the match. Has looked far more assured this season, even though he has had to play in a weakened team alongside Carragher who has struggled at times. Skrtel’s hasn’t been in the best of form and if Coates continues to put in some good performance he may oust the Slovak.
"We’ve got a lot of Cockneys in the team, but really, it doesn’t matter where they’re from – we’re all playing for Liverpool.” Robbie Fowler
the return of HAS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:20 pm

i guess thats him gone now :down:
really disapointed that he was never given a proper chance here and especially by rodgers who doesnt rate the lad at all. similar situation to carroll where he had his mind made up on him from the off.
west brom would be a good move for him and for the players career, i hope it happens and i think he will turn out to be a decent player at this level when he's given a regular run of games.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:06 am

What do you mean, I haven't seen any news that he's gone on either loan or sold.

Where's your info from?
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Good Yank » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:15 am

Yeah I think the "Well That's him gone" bit is a bit over the top.  If another defender comes in then Coates will go out on loan.  And rightfully so.  He's a young defender who needs games.  He's not going to get ahead of Agger or Skittles at this point in his career and Carra will get every chance at Anfield to play (when the opportunities allow).  This is likely Carra's last hurrah. 

If he doesn't go out on loan he'll play in the FA Cup and Europa matches, and maybe the odd appearance in the league against the lesser teams on the road.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:11 pm

Good luck in Gremio kid! I had so much hope for you...   :down:
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby kartiek » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:42 pm

damjan193 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:11 pm wrote:Good luck in Gremio kid! I had so much hope for you...   :down:

I don't really know how anyone saw that much potential in him. He never could pass the ball, always lobbed it out - this was consistently his game for Uruguay as well. When we bought him, I thought, well, maybe he has a lot of game intelligence. The very first game he played for us - he looked slow, incompetent, and clumsy. As far as I've seen him, in every single game that he's played for us, he's been directly at fault for at least one goal given away to the other team, or the one and only time when we won over Chelsea 2-0 with him in the side, there was one very very dubious moment where he tackled very clumsily in the penalty area. I'm sad he didn't turn out to be what we thought of him, but he just was never going to become good enough.

How strong is this Gremio link?
kartiek

Postby damjan193 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:57 pm

kartiek » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:42 pm wrote:
damjan193 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:11 pm wrote:Good luck in Gremio kid! I had so much hope for you...   :down:

I don't really know how anyone saw that much potential in him. He never could pass the ball, always lobbed it out - this was consistently his game for Uruguay as well. When we bought him, I thought, well, maybe he has a lot of game intelligence. The very first game he played for us - he looked slow, incompetent, and clumsy. As far as I've seen him, in every single game that he's played for us, he's been directly at fault for at least one goal given away to the other team, or the one and only time when we won over Chelsea 2-0 with him in the side, there was one very very dubious moment where he tackled very clumsily in the penalty area. I'm sad he didn't turn out to be what we thought of him, but he just was never going to become good enough.

I don't know how strong the link is, but I know that he's out for sure. To Gremio or somewhere else, I couldn't care less.

Apart from the bad passing, I disagree with you. You should have seen him in the Copa America. He was incredible. Although he didn't do well with us, in every game there were signs that in time he can improve and become a good player for us. But it doesn't look like it's going to happen for him, at least not here. He wants to leave, we want to sell - so long kid.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:08 pm

to be fair to coates it cant be easy to spend 90% of the season on the bench and then all of a sudden get wheeled out to play against a 6 foot 7 rough house, lower division CF.
especially on a cold, wet blustery day.
skrtel struggled to cope with that lad too.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Rush Job » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:31 pm

Well i dont know where this every time he`s played he`s been at fault for a goal has come from. For a young lad coming from south america and having to adapt he`s done not bad plus he`s got the potential to be a very good player. I would be in favour of a loan but wouldnt sell at this point.
Then he`s maybe a bit tall for rogers who seems to favour slightly built short ar$es, we need some physicality in the side.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:53 pm

Rush Job » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:31 pm wrote:Well i dont know where this every time he`s played he`s been at fault for a goal has come from. For a young lad coming from south america and having to adapt i dont think he`s really put a foot wrong any time he`s been called on plus he`s got the potential to be a very good player. I would be in favour of a loan but wouldnt sell at this point.
Then he`s maybe a bit tall for rogers who seems to favour slightly built short ar$es, we need some physicality in the side.

agree, coates is not even 23 until next october and center halves dont reach their peak until their late 20`s. people are writing him off way too early, he`s still learning his trade.
skrtel is 28, a national team captain, plays week in week out and was on manchester city`s radar but he didnt cope any better with that 6 foot 7 yard dog either.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:07 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:53 pm wrote:
Rush Job » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:31 pm wrote:Well i dont know where this every time he`s played he`s been at fault for a goal has come from. For a young lad coming from south america and having to adapt i dont think he`s really put a foot wrong any time he`s been called on plus he`s got the potential to be a very good player. I would be in favour of a loan but wouldnt sell at this point.

agree, coates is not even 23 until next october and center halves dont reach their peak until their late 20`s. people are writing him off way too early, he`s still learning his trade.
skrtel is 28, a national team captain, plays week in week out and was on manchester city`s radar but he didnt cope any better with that 6 foot 7 yard dog either.

hard to disagree with any of that lads.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Rush Job » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:22 pm

it sounds like most the team were out muscled today, we need more physicality in there. I think this was the first game of this kind coates has been involved in, remember skrtel agaist havent and waterloovile? He needs games, even a championship side could be useful for his development, we have a small squad, you need 4 centre backs at least and with this being carras last season we could do with another one anyway.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:31 pm

Worst performance I've seen from him by far (not that there's been many). I think he was getting down on himself a bit there.

In his defense, Oldham were absolutely mauling the Sh*t out of him. He couldn't get a single call, and I felt he was definitely fouled on the first goal, and fouled throughout, but didn't get a single call probably because of his size. He just didn't bitch to the ref like most CB's would until they started getting calls, maybe that was his problem.

Skrtel did struggle just as badly as Coates as well.  This pitch was dreadful, absolutely swamped.  They clearly play Stoke football, and clearly swamped their pitch on purpose like Stoke do to slow down and mess up passing clubs like us so they can fling the ball around in the air.

But what more can I say, it worked.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:50 pm

Agreed but he wasnt alone in Fu*king up. Rodgers blundered again by messing around with the CBs
If any one player should have been on that pitch today it was Carragher
:glare:
Thommo's perm

Postby Octsky » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:37 am

kartiek » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:42 pm wrote:

ya agreed. he is taller and bigger but bullied off the ball from smaller opposition players. the first goal vs oldham was a result from him losing the aerial challenge.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion