SEBASTIAN COATES - Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby only me » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:51 am

Lesson number one ,please don't buy a player based solely on him being your Star Mate. It's amateurish from the worst kind.

Coates has pretty good ball skills but not in a million years fitting the Premier league. The pace of the game and the physicality of the game are way over his head.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:34 pm

looks a completely different player when he turns out for Uruguay ,against France he was comfortably man of the match and never lost
a header all game . I think with a consistent run in the team he could be just as commanding for the reds.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Shame he won't get one - the manager doesn't rate him
Benny The Noon

Postby Reg » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:13 pm

Benny The Noon » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:52 pm wrote:Shame he won't get one - the manager doesn't rate him

I really don't understand why managers don't give t\lads like Coates a proper chance - afterall we've got millions invested in the lad.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:22 pm

Reg » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:13 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:52 pm wrote:Shame he won't get one - the manager doesn't rate him

I really don't understand why managers don't give t\lads like Coates a proper chance - afterall we've got millions invested in the lad.

Its certainly a mystery how a player who won many plaudits( and deservedly so ) in Copa America ,can have his chances of making the CB
position his own hampered by a lack of faith shown by the management and a limited number of opportunities to prove otherwise.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:51 pm

Reg » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:13 pm wrote:

I have no idea why. Coates looked like he could be a quality CB for us - just not been given a chance by BR.
Benny The Noon

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:04 pm

he won `best young player of the tournament` in that copa america too, and when you consider the standard of players that the likes of argentina and brazil produce thats some accolade.
because reading the game is such an important part of being a CB they dont reach their peak until their late 20`s and coates is what? 22? could be making a mistake here letting him go.
wouldnt surprise me if he went elsewhere and developed into a top CB. remember that materazzi at everton? they brought him over when he was 21/22 and he really struggled in the prem, constantly dropping clangers and getting sent off. they sold him back to a club in italy and then 4 or 5 years later he was the bedrock of a inter team that won about 5 titles on the bounce and a star in the 2006 italian world cup winning side.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Waldo » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:53 pm

Is it nailed on that he is going?? All I am reading is that BR wants a dominant CB but it sounds like that's exactly what Coates was vs. France.

I hope that, like with Henderson and Downing, BR sees something in the kid and he gets a chance.
Waldo
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:31 pm

If we let him go without affording him enough games to prove he can be a great CB ,then I think it will be one of those mistakes
that will eventually come back to haunt us. Coates looked quality against France, and I suspect this performance would not have
gone unnoticed ,I also believe going on this performance he wont be short of admirers willing to bid for his services.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mart » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:30 pm

As long as Rodgers dont rate him I dont see him staying with us much longer.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby parchpea » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:34 pm

You can only judge players on what they do for you and not matter what
Coates does for his country he hasn't looked strong enough to do a job for us.

Dalglish and Rodgers have seen this lad work on a daily basis and if he does
go on and play a major role elsewhere then fair enough, but he's not done it
here and you cant wait forever when these lads are on good money.

We can use that wage to bring another player in who may contribute and are
not that flush we can carry passengers these days.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:45 pm

parchpea » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:34 pm wrote:You can only judge players on

Yes ,but to be called a passenger you have to first be allowed on the bus.I honestly don't believe anybody would say the lad has
had a fair crack of the whip at CB.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:57 pm

parchpea » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:34 pm wrote:You can only judge players on what they do for you and not matter what
Coates does for his country he hasn't looked strong enough to do a job for us.

Dalglish and Rodgers have seen this lad work on a daily basis and if he does
go on and play a major role elsewhere then fair enough, but he's not done it
here and you cant wait forever when these lads are on good money.

He hasn't exactly been given many chances - 12 league games in 2 seasons - 5 this season.
Benny The Noon

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:17 am

Whats the solution though?  We can hardly just throw him in the team for 10 games and hope he does well...  if he doesn't and he makes a few mistakes that could cost us points then that could be top 4 gone for another season. 

Both Kenny and Rodgers have seen him everyday in training and obviously don't think he is ready for first team. 
Based on what I've saw of him so far, which isn't much, I tend to agree.

Think a loan might be the best option.  He needs games and he won't be getting them here.  Especially without Europa.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:21 am

BR didn't mind throwing other players in for a run of games - Borini being a prime example. The one area we struggled was defending so Coates should have been given a chance - he didnt even get two starts in a row let alone 10 !
Benny The Noon

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion