Season so far - Expectations for the rest.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LFC #1 » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:56 pm

Now that we are nearly half way-through the season what do you hope for come the end of the season?

LEAGUE
Inconsistency has been the main problem so far this season, perticularly away from home where we have only picked up 6 points from 9 games, whereas our form at Anfield has been far more impressive with 19 points from a possible 24 (let's hope thats 22 from 27 after today).

Their is of course the obvious injuries to Baros, Cisse, Garcia and Gerrard which have left our sqaud depleted and this is unfortuntaley part and parcel of football, The thing is a lot of our rivals for 4th palce haven't had the injuries we have had, and with clubs like Everton having smaller squads the hectic Christmas period could be thier undoing.

We are still in 6th place and although the results have been up and down the football we have been playing at times has been breathtaking, with the addition of Alonso to midfield the best of the spanish signings so far.

With the likes of Morientes and anelka being linked with us in January and Gerrard being here till the ned of the season at least looking more and more likely I think we are in decent shape to have a good run over the second-half of the season and secure Cl qualification for the 2nd year running.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
Some encouraging performances in the first group stage agiant Monaco and Olympiakos at Anfield and a gutsy 1-0 win against Deportivo in Spain have shown that we are capable of winning in this competiton agiant good quality sides, and with a favourable draw againts Leverkusen we are in position to equal or perhaps eclipse our performance of 2002 in the CL.

It's great to be back in the competiton after our absence last year and the win agianst Olympiakos was one of the best nights as a Liverpool fan since the Roma match.

LEAGUE CUP
Great to see the confidence Rafa has shown in the young lads in the "Carling" cup. It looks like Rafa is keen to keep his eye on the academy a lot more than GH was in his 5 year tenure and with the likes of Welsh, Whitbread, Raven and Mellor impressing we have made the semi-finals of the Carling cup with hard-fought victories over Millwall and Spurs. With Watford meeting us in the semi's, Cardiff beckons and it would be great for Rafa to get some silverware in his first season in charge.
Some may say it's only the league cup but if we are to make the fianl we will ahve to beat Manure or chelski who will field a full-strength side.

The FA Cup has yet to start for us, but with our 3rd round tie against Burnley, this could be perhaps another chance to give the youngsters a run.

So some mixed fortunes so far this season, but with Rafa at the helm and new players in Januray thee'r is much to be confident about going into the second-half of the season.

I would be happy with a 4th place in the league and perhaps a victory in the league cup final. The Cl is knockout so anything can happen and if we can afavnce to the next round then it is extra funds for the club and who knows what could happen, perhaps we could be going to Istanbul?  :D

Patince is virtue, Rafa is the man for the job and it is going to take a few years for his plan to be in place with the players he wants, challenging for major honours.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:46 pm

We will get there as you say patience is needed, the only thing is it's seems like it's always bieng said about the team.

I meen every year it's a well said cliche "Give it time" how much is the question that alot of supporters can't understand, i say time is time is time.

Good Luck Rafa :D
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:45 pm

Thats a fair assessment of our season.

It is a cliche, but we have no choice other than to be patient.

I've heard nothing but good reports about Benitez coming out of Anfield, apparently the players are all highly impressed with him.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby zarababe » Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:42 pm

.. Benitez is a realist.. and his assessments post-match have been honest and very interesting.. I think he is defo the man to lead us to glory.. and the attitude and mind -set of the players is what is most impressive about the affect he has had..

.. he is respected by the players and his peers.. and that says a lot about what ppl will do for him and the expectations of him .. roll on January ...

.. Patience it is... but exciting times are also ahead.. :)

THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:23 am

Excellent post and pushing it up the Queue so others get an opportunity to read it :)
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:29 am

thanks Ian. :)
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby simic_ie » Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:34 am

i agree, 4th in the League, quarter or semis in the CL with a win in one of the Cup competitions would be an excellent start to Rafa's tenure in my opinion. Lets face it, he has a lot of work to do but the signs we have seen so far are extremely encouraging. Our home form for the most part has been excellent, and if we can continue this and improve our away form then we can rapidly climb the table after Christmas. I like Rafa and I am particularly impressed with his after match comments. He seems to give a pretty honest assesment of the game and doesn't make excuses for when we play bad. I can't wait until we get the funds together and Rafa can get the players he wants because his record in the transfer market so far doesn't seem to bad. Xabi was a steal at £10!
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:16 am

Great post LFC #1
I have to say so far my expectations have been met this season though i temper that remark that my hopes werent that high in what i saw  as a real rebuilding season. That was even before the late and somewhat bitter loss of Michael Owen,sustained  injuries to key players and late arrival of Alonso/Garcia
I would be happy with a 4th spot league,a good cup run and 2nd stage CL and so far two of those have been achieved and third is definately attainable.
There was always going to be pain before gain when a new regime arrived and without dissing on previous manager if Rafa is given the time i think can take us a lot further then Houiller
One  pleasing aspect for me is how Rafa does seem to have gotten more out of some of the club rejects and misfits. While im not rose coloured enough to think they are going to be rejuventated enough to be the nucleus of championship winning team. Their improvement  at best provides more depth to the squad and at very least makes the players more attractive transfer price wise
The real downers for me this season, has been loss of Micheal Owen especially at that price, financial loss and continued uncertainly in ownership and sickening and possible career ending injury to Cisse
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:36 pm

I think he has done remarkably well give the injuries we have had. Its almost forgotten now how long we went without Steven Gerrard.

I know injuries affect everyone (except Everton  :D ) but ours were particularly bad, with our best player and our most expensive player out for a considerable period of time. There was also a number of lesser injuries such as those to Baros and Garcia which left us in a bad way at a crucial time. Nunez is only back playing as well and Kewell, once one of the top 5 or 6 players in the country, has been carrying an ankle and groin injury forever.

I think we will see a definite improvement after Christmas and I'm very optimisitic about a CL placing again this year. However, this season could well be remembered for some excellent cup runs, which will be a nice bonus.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:06 pm

seems that the majority of us feel the same way and are willing to give Rafa the time he needs to turn us into the force of years gone by. :)
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:09 pm

Viva la Rafa. Benitez has done a fairly nice job considering that we have been through ups and downs this season. Great manager imo.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Woollyback » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:21 pm

I'm well happy with Rafa. What we've managed this season with so many injuries and the last-minute departure of Owen is testament to the guy's intellect and managerial know-how. I think had Owen stayed we'd be at least 6 - 9 points better off now, putting us right in the mix

I've no doubts that we'll finish top 4
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HistoryGirl » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:11 am

Dalglish wrote:Excellent post and pushing it up the Queue so others get an opportunity to read it :)

i agree its a very good post and very well written keep them coming!
You'll Never Walk Alone

Justice for the 96

Blog
HistoryGirl
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:36 am

Seasons's been OK so far. I'd much prefer if the money for the new stadium could be spent on new players, but the Liverpool board will have to bear the responsibility for that if it all gets f*cked up.

We'll catch Everton eventually and finish fourth.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:56 am

The Manhattan Project wrote:We'll catch Everton eventually and finish fourth

I think so, we have already closed the gap to only 6 points when it was 12 a couple of weeks ago, shouldn't be a problem.  :)
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion