Expectations for 2012/13 season

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:20 pm

I guess it might be a little early for this topic since we've no idea what players will be brought in or how much we'll spend but... expectations does seem to be popping up in one or two of the threads so why not discuss it here.   

Bear in mind that we've missed out on top 4 for 3 seasons now, getting further away each time.

With a new manager managing a big club for the first time in his career, the best I think we can get is 5th spot and a trophy.

I would like to see us adopt our own style of play this year though.  We haven't had that since Rafa left really.

Either way though, Brendan deserves more than one season unless he is a complete disaster like Roy, which I doubt he will be.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:54 pm

Premier league, fa and carling cups winners
:nod
Thommo's perm

Postby Eagle » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:54 pm

Difficult to make an assessment until the window is shut but presuming we have around 30Mil net to spend, we should target 70+ points.
Eagle

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:56 pm

Oh and Europa cup as well
:laugh:
Thommo's perm

Postby laza » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:38 pm

As you already stated hard to tell until we see who leaves and who arrives at the club.

Despite the underachievement of last season and new manager I have fairly positive outlook. (Rose coloured happy clapper if you like)

One of annoying things to me over our decline over the last couple of seasons. Is the fact that top teams in the league havent looked as solid as they were when Rafa was punching above his weight back in middle of the decade.

If that trends continues next year  and we get rub of green and stay free of major injuries I cant see why couldnt be competing for a top four finish.

Though whatever happens, I believe the new manager needs to have security of at least a couple of seasons to implement his plan for our revival
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby brentd4 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:42 pm

thers no such thing as the carling cup anymore, so we won't be able to defend it, its now the capital one cup,,,,    can't see why they don't just leave it as english league cup.
anyway back to the subject, i think realistically we can retain the league cup, and push for 4th,  behind city, chelsea, utd, arsenal don't stand out as a great side to me and they need to strengthen, and i think spurs wil lose a few of there better players, with an ageing squad n a lot of injury prone players they wil fall away, so why not go for fourth with a bit of consistency its not out of our reach.

as for the other cups, we shut easily make it to the final 16/8 of the europa league then its unknown.
and the fa cup we can hold r own, so to say were well finish in it is to hard to say as luck has a lot to do with winning it.

so :
league                4th
league cup          final
europa league     last 16/8  at least
fa cup                 last 8/4    at least
brentd4

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:47 pm

i expect us to have a tricky start to the season, implementing rodgers philosophy will take a while and it wouldnt surprise me if we looked a bit disjointed and even clueless at times early on as players struggle to adapt to the new system. for instance if we begin to commit numbers forward to aggressively press the ball high up the pitch i expect us to get exposed at the back a few times and i expect it will be similar story with players at the back or in midfield being caught in possession as they try to retain the ball in situations where they would normally put their foot through it.
so i`m not that bothered where we finish just as long as we make progress through the season, by the seasons end i just expect us to look something like a  good passing side.
saying that we could adapt to it really quickly and surprise a few people.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ethanr » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:49 pm

If we get a couple decent signings and Rogers' philosophy start working relatively well, then we should be able to get back into the top 4 with man u, city and chelsea.  Chelsea look like they could be fighting for the title with the other 2 next year, so we'll see.

I imagine we'll push into at least the quarters of 2 cups if not all 3, and maybe the final of 1, 2 if we get some good draws.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby mart » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:50 pm

I hope for some improvement on our league form, but I dont have any expectations atm. Hopefully we manage to get a couple of players that makes me more excited for the next season but as it stands we will find it hard to break back into the top 4 considering how for instance chelsea are strengthening their team.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:03 pm

mart » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:50 pm wrote:I hope for some improvement on our league form, but I dont have any expectations atm. Hopefully we manage to get a couple of players that makes me more excited for the next season but as it stands we will find it hard to break back into the top 4 considering how for instance chelsea are strengthening their team.

Chelsea have lost Drogba
That will weaken them considerably
:nod
Thommo's perm

Postby Boocity » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:26 pm

I don't see why we can't make top 4, we were realy unlucky last season up until the Arsenal game and next season I believe we will finish stronger and not see the dramatic drop in form we saw this year. I don't reckon Spurs will be very strong as there seems to be problems there at present.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:46 pm

6th maybe 5th. It's a big ask for a quick turnaround though I do maintain we weren't as bad as last season's league table suggests.

I expect decent cup runs but no silverware.

Call me a pessimist but early season promise never seems to live up to the hype  :D
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby The Raven » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:01 pm

I would take coming close to 4th. Being there and abouts at the end of the season would be a result considering how the others will be adding to the already good squads.
The Raven

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:45 pm

at this point my expectations are that we better last year and anything else is a bonus.
without having seen us play under rodgers or what players we will have its impossible to expect anything miraculous.
below 8th and with more pts in the bag has to be the benchmark.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby shanks13 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:45 pm

The aim has to be 4th, but it's a long term project. We aren't going to start playing tiki-taka over night.

I would take 6th> and a cup win - I wouldn't mind an early exit from any of them, but some success is a must.

Winning trophies needs to become a habit.
shanks13
LFC Basic Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion