8th
3%
9th
No votes
10th or Below
No votes

Total votes : 31

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:10 pm

I'm always one of the brightest of optimists and usually expect something special from the team and manager upon the start of every new season. So I'm plumping for us finishing 2nd ,I just believe the team spirit Klopp has instilled within this core group of players can't be underestimated ,and the half arsed performances we suffered last season will be all but eradicated from our game. Klopp will run the eventual champions close ,and I don't for one minute believe he's concluded his business  in the transfer market . I'm going for Chelsea to win the Premiership title ,I just think the signing of Kante is a major plus for their midfield and they already have a solid back four already in place ,and now they have a manager who will take no prisoners with disinterested players or indeed performances.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:47 am

over the years I have gone for the top 3 spots, this year I have gone 5th, I think that will be a push. its not that I think we are a bad team just that the other teams look stronger.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:01 pm

How our season goes depends on a few factors for me, one is the fitness of Sturridge as our only true goalscorer the other is the form, fitness and consistency of Couthino & Mane our other superstar players, finally if we don't sign a left back and make Karius our number 1 then were doomed either way. If Karius and the new left back our competent and our key players stay fit and in form we could quite easily finish in the top four, if we continue to play Mignolet and Moreno we are doomed to another 6th-8th place finish its as simple as that in my eyes, BTW watch this space Mane is going to be something special for us, I had my doubts when we bought him but the more i see of him the more i think he is perfectly suited to our style of play.
Last edited by Fowler_E7 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Klopptomaniac » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:20 pm

I said top 4 and I stand by that. One game at a time and we can get there.

My concerns at the moment are left back (I think I've made that pretty clear in the Moreno thread) and the midfield - nerves started to show once Coutinho left the field, an injury to him could leave us wanting in the middle
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby aCe' » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:30 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:05 pm wrote:Can we go to the likes of Stoke and Leicester, put in a well below par performance but still come away with the 3 points? I don't think we have the resilience to consistently do that atm and I think thats where we could come unstuck.

This. I like our chances in cup competitions. We have a side that is almost built for that. High press, every game is a bit of a roller-coaster.; as an opposition manager it must be torture deciding between attacking us or trying to hit us on the counter. Defensively we are poor and that extends beyond the obvious weakness brought about by Moreno and Mignolet. We lack the quality that brings about consistency.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:52 am

I would have gladly taken a win and 2 draws from our first 3 games (draws away at Arsenal and Spurs are good results any day of the week) but if we manage to beat Burnley this weekend we will surpass that 5 point haul already. That's what a big head to head win against one of your rivals does for you.
We've just got to make sure we don't do our usual trick of beating a top side one week then totally capitulating against one of the also ran's the next.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:03 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:52 am wrote:I would have gladly taken a win and 2 draws from our first 3 games (draws away at Arsenal and Spurs are good results any day of the week) but if we manage to beat Burnley this weekend we will surpass that 5 point haul already. That's what a big head to head win against one of your rivals does for you.
We've just got to make sure we don't do our usual trick of beating a top side one week then totally capitulating against one of the also ran's the next.

Agree on your point about beating Burnley, for me this is a big test to see if we have improved from last year, beating the top sides is nothing new under Klopp where we struggled badly was on our travels against the more physical teams and lesser lights of the Prem, if we can defeat Burnley away this will give an indication of how far we've come or will it be the same old Liverpool, winning a big game then getting beat and starting from square one again.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:03 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:52 am wrote:I would have gladly taken a win and 2 draws from our first 3 games (draws away at Arsenal and Spurs are good results any day of the week) but if we manage to beat Burnley this weekend we will surpass that 5 point haul already. That's what a big head to head win against one of your rivals does for you.

Agree on your point about beating Burnley, for me this is a big test to see if we have improved from last year, beating the top sides is nothing new under Klopp where we struggled badly was on our travels against the more physical teams and lesser lights of the Prem, if we can defeat Burnley away this will give an indication of how far we've come or will it be the same old Liverpool, winning a big game then getting beat and starting from square one again.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:24 pm

I don't think you can read too much into the quality of the team until 10 games have gone by. There's still much transfer dealing to be done and most players won't hit match fitness until 4 weeks have passed. I missed the Arsenal match, but have read good things about Mane and Klavan.

Hopefully, with a new left back and a fully fit Karius between the sticks, we'll see a much more settled back line and less goals conceded.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:18 pm

7_Kewell » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:24 pm wrote:I don't think you can read too much into the quality of the team until 10 games have gone by.

True, the season doesn't finish until next summer and this summer hasn't even ended yet so there's a long, long way to go but at the same time a good start can make or break a season.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:55 pm

I'm saying 6th or 5th. Im quite a positive person but Im concerned about the left back situation and have my reservations about our right back too. I do think that once we get into a rhythm, plus no european football, we have a good chance of finishing higher than last season.
However, I still think we are a work in progress and it will take a couple of seasons before we are strong enough to be contenders.
Thommo's perm

Postby parchpea » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:02 pm

We have been a work in progress for 26 years and just keep hearing the same old excuses year in year out.

Last year was a chance but now all the top clubs have upgraded managers and pumped billions in and we sit again staring at them from a distance with our special Liverpool way strategy.

The most excitement we get is looking at million photographs of our new stand on twitter but then you look at Henderson stepping out of that tunnel and your heart sinks.

I honestly thought Klopp wouldnt only clear out the deadwood which hes done with great success, but also have the understanding that his main body of players have repetitive failure on
their CV, and he would literally be chomping at the bit to overhaul that first 11.

Regrettably all we have seen are subtle changes, but essentially we feel the same team as last year and I have absolutely no confidence it will do much better, even with an expectant Klopp
at the helm.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Doeboy » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:25 pm

The lack of european football is going to be a big advantage. More recovery for the players and more time on the training pitch and will give us an edge over the other teams apart from Chelsea who also dont have euro games.

However, i've got concerns over us defensively. Klopp had a good defensive record with Dortmund in Germany albeit with a strong team in a league that overall isnt as strong as the premier league.

I dont know why it is, but I have a feeling, we will be a entertaining team who will absolutely tear teams to pieces in certain games but will always give the oppo a chance at the back. Just think its Klopps brand of football and I just hope we can raise the bar defensively which gives our forwards a chance to go out and win us many more matches than we lose/draw.

I know we are only 3 games into the season, but i'll be honest, I havent been too impressed with the goals we've let in and I think it's one thing JK definately knows has to improve as we cant always rely on blasting teams away.
Doeboy

Postby Reg » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:01 am

I don't know.  5,6,7.... hopefully not 8th.   We didn't bring in the right calibre of players for top 4.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:55 am

The potential is there for us to easily challenge for a top four finish BUT our ability to shoot ourselves in the foot I fear will cost us.

Currently on goals scored we're second in the league, on goals conceded we're joint 16th !

Unless our defence tightens up we'll finish a disappointing 5th .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion