Expectations for the upcoming season

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:40 am

Now it's confirmed that Hodgson is our new manager what are you expectations for the upcoming season . It will of course depend on players in and out and expectations will change before season starts

At the moment with current squad I expect us to be in the top 6 in a European slot

Loose Torres and Gerrard then inexpert us to challenge for the Europa slot but end up just short below the likes of everton villa and spurs
Benny The Noon

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:44 am

Win the PL and CL
Get to the final in the Fa cup and lose to the bitters
Play the reserves all the way in the carling and win against the skanks on penalties in the final
Thommo's perm

Postby Redman in wales » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:59 am

I agree (with benny, not with perm-features), and would even go as far as top 4 this season with the same squad and try and dislodge Arsenal this year. I think City will be in the top four, especially now they'll strengthen significantly
Last edited by Redman in wales on Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:03 am

Our squad is easily top four material if sensibly managed... and most importantly IF we can keep it together.

Hodgson should be making signing a striker his top priority after trying to convince our key players to stay.  If he can manage that and our smallish squad doesn't suffer too badly with injuries then we can still have a good season.

It's a lot of 'ifs' though.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:12 am

Well according to loads on here ,last season we had the players to actualy be good enough to challenge for the prem. It was down to how those players ere used and tactics that we didnt come close and finished 7th .So if we keep most our players this season what is the difference ,

Is it just gonna be accepted now that we just try and get into the top four, the players are still there who loads thought were good enough to challenge .
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:13 am

Benny The Noon wrote:It will of course depend on players in and out and expectations will change before season starts

All hinges on this bit. Agree with JC that we should be expecting top 4 if we keep the squad together but we'll see.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:15 am

First priority is a another striker, and not Bobby Zamora or Andy Johnson.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:37 am

Ciggy wrote:First priority is a another striker, and not Bobby Zamora or Andy Johnson.

Totally agree.

We have been crying out for another striker for so long.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Redman in wales » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:49 am

Ben Patrick wrote:
Ciggy wrote:First priority is a another striker, and not Bobby Zamora or Andy Johnson.

Totally agree.

We have been crying out for another striker for so long.

As long as we keep torres, we could do with perhaps letting a couple of strikers go.

When they came to us, (before Rafa played them as wingers) Babel and Kuyt were strikers. We have Ngog and Jovanovic.

Another striker (which I agree we need) would mean we actually have 6 strikers (admitedly 2 of which currently ocupy the wings for us, but they aren't wingers). I like Kuyt, but possibly get rid of Babel and N'Gog if we're bringing in Jovanovic and another striker....
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:53 am

Disregarding economic varible with Dukes brothers still in charge

It will depend on how much of squad is retained

If we dont lose any of the big names then a CL qualification would be satisfying to me under present circumstances

End of day the main thing for me will to see how we are playing this season under a new manager
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:01 am

but haven't we just signed another striker with this guy jovanavovoovavvovic? as far as strikers go we are more or less ok i think. i don't imagine roy is suddenly going to switch us to 442 so the new guy can either sub for torres when necessary or play from the left, which he is apparently well capable of as well. with the money available we'll never get another decent striker in so i wouldn't even bother.

as for this season its impossible to say as we have no idea who will be playing for us. my main expectation though is for us not to get any worse.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:04 am

NANNY RED wrote:So if we keep most our players this season what is the difference ,

Is it just gonna be accepted now that we just try and get into the top four, the players are still there who loads thought were good enough to challenge .

because other teams are strengthening. Because City are buying like they actually are in the champions league, attracting David Silva and Barca's Toure. Because Arsenal will strengthen their team from last season, possibly keeping Fabregas, adding to their defensive ranks, and have Van Persie available for the whole season.

This year it will be harder to finish top 4 than last year, as other teams spend more money and strengthen their squads- and we dont.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:08 am

Redman in wales wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:So if we keep most our players this season what is the difference ,

because other teams are strengthening. Because City are buying like they actually are in the champions league, attracting David Silva and Barca's Toure. Because Arsenal will strengthen their team from last season, possibly keeping Fabregas, adding to their defensive ranks, and have Van Persie available for the whole season.

This year it will be harder to finish top 4 than last year, as other teams spend more money and strengthen their squads- and we dont.

I don't think we will get into the top 4 next season because of the reasons you suggest with the other teams strengthening on a big scale - I can see 5th 6th 7th as a realistic place for us next season - and that is with gerrard and torres
Benny The Noon

Postby stmichael » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:14 am

My first expecatation in for the players, whoever they are to look as if they actually want to play for the shirt. Last season, the majority of them looked as if they couldn't be ar$ed at times. Quite simply, if you don't want to be at this football club next season then shove off.

The main aim we can hope for is to get back into that top 4 but that's going to be extremely difficult given the fact that City have spent £326m in two years and Spurs have overtaken us. We also need to win something which means putting all of our efforts into the domestic cups. This club needs to be winning trophies, whatever they may be.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby inglis5 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:16 am

Expectations for the coming season?

Clear out of squad players who Rafa was (rightly or wrongly) attached to.
Loss of Mascherano / replaced by cheaper alternative.
Return to a 4-4-2, permanent strike partner(s) for Torres.
More attacking football at home, less personnel changes to stifle opposition.
Use of players in preferred positions / less square pegs, round holes.
Difficult start to the season, always in contention for CL place.
Better domestic cup performances.
More chances for players coming through from the reserves / academy.
inglis5

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion