Expectations for the upcoming season

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:22 pm

Thommo's perm wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:Ok then let me rephrase it - " in the title race at xmas "

We havent got a hope of being in any title race this season and you can quote me on that - the only race we might have a chance of being in is for the 4th spot but even then thats a slim chance .

But, under the same circumstances, you believed that Rafa would at the very least have got us back into the top four next season? But you're near-certain Hodgson won't, because he's Hodgson?

Also, some have said that Spurs making the top four was a fluke one-off because we were sh!t, but the same people expect us to finish below them again next season. Surely not a one-off then.

Personally, I'm expecting to see us make our way back into the top four next season and go on a cup run; a day out at Wemberley would be nice.

I believe our previous manager would of had a better chance than hodgson of getting back into the top 4 because IMO I think previous manager is a better manager and may well of had a better chance of keeping our better players but its not to do be . Overall I think either manager would and will struggle to get near top 4 due to lack of investment and he ability to bring the better players to the club . City wih their money will bring better players and spurs because the lure of CL footy

The only way we were going with Rafa was down
He lost many of the players and many of the fans
Best for everyone that he went

Lost many of the players ?! an unconfirmed and hollow rumour with no backing at all .
Benny The Noon

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:22 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:
Thommo's perm wrote:The only way we were going with Rafa was down
He lost many of the players and many of the fans
Best for everyone that he went

Lost many of the players ?! an unconfirmed and hollow rumour with no backing at all .

Saw it with my own eyes
:;):
Last edited by woof woof ! on Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thommo's perm

Postby NANNY RED » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:39 am

Cheeky ge.ts .put LFC back up

http://yfrog.com/g4g9dj
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:42 am

tonyeh wrote:Assess what was wrong/right about the setup under Benitez.

Talk to the team about what worked/didn't work under Benitez.

Work on getting the best out of the current team (it's good enough to compete)

Ship Benitez's dead wood.

Stop relying on Gerrard'n'Torres FC. Get some real cover.

Work out a plan A and a plan B etc. Put the emphasis on attacking football, rather than tedious defensive doldrums.

Set out a team and play to that team's strengths, rather than worrying about what the opposition are doing.

Try to get back into the top 4 and make a go of the title race instead of being out of it by Christmas as usual.

Make a good go in the domestic cups.

All of the above is achievable with what we have at the moment, under any competent manager with the right attitude.

great. the last manager's gone and you're still having a pop.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Judge » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:13 pm

laza wrote:Disregarding economic varible with Dukes brothers still in charge

Dukes - Trading Places   :laugh:
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby loopyliverpool » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:20 pm

I just hope we play a better style of football. At this stage of pre-season we can't predict too much because we just don't know who will be in the squad. If we can retain the current players we have apparently £15m to spend and it is how Roy spends this money which will be key to any success we might achieve. If we can snap up Jo Cole on a free that would be a massive fillip. I would also say a left back, a wide man, a striker and a centre back are all priorities but you won't get the desired quality for that budget... so lets hope Roy has an eye on players of great potential at a bargain basement price!
loopyliverpool

Postby laza » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:31 pm

Judge wrote:

Well spotted Judge

I bet you one dollar Randolph we can make a laughing stock out of the greatest football club in the world
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:32 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:Lost many of the players ?! an unconfirmed and hollow rumour with no backing at all .

none of the players have had one bad word to say about Rafa, except Riera.

And i think a lot of them will follow him to inter if they get the chance. 

Masch, Pepe, Torres, Kuyt and Johnson at least were all happy with Rafa.
Last edited by woof woof ! on Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:34 pm

LittleHobo wrote:
kalos wrote:Roy Hodgson- nice bloke who has achieved his dream simply by becoming Liverpool manager.

Just like Roy Evans he has nothing else left to fulfill in terms of ambition.

We will be out of the title race before end October with him in charge, hope I'm wrong but seriously
if oyu are Torres, Gerrard, Carra, Masch would you feel inspired by this choice?

No decent league ever won, no Champions league experience (as far as I know).

What a truly sad state of affairs.

no decent trophys won?

but when has he ever had a top job where hes been expected to win big things?

hes an organiser, gets the best out of average players and will steady the :censored:

we aint in the right place to win anything, our expectations must be 5th place at best

I'm seriously getting p!ssed off with your doom and gloom merchanting on here.

So you don't rate our chances of success, you've made your point now shut the fuck up.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:35 pm

Now that he is here I really want the world cup over and done with, just so we can see who is staying, who isn't and move on with potential transfer targets ect.... Hopefully he will be given some money to spend before he sells any dead wood.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:35 pm

laza wrote:
Judge wrote:

Well spotted Judge

I bet you one dollar Randolph we can make a laughing stock out of the greatest football club in the world

Bubbles man! if we wanted bubbles we used to have to fart in the tub
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby access » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:36 pm

Like a lot of posters on here I cant really get my head around the whole 'Roy' situation.

My ole man 'if' he were still alive would be staggered by what has gone on with his beloved 'Liverpool'.

lets go back 5 years and I could see us 'moving forward' actually potentially winning the PL.

But now ... I really dont know .... I was seriously battered on here when I said Rafa wasnt the RIGHT bloke and told people about his dangerous spending and HOW much debt he left Valencia with when he evenually left them for US.

And now were are bringing in a Manager who has possibly no money in the kitty but must sell to buy ... so its now down to the managerial skills of our Roy ...

I hope I am wrong but I think we may have at least two 'rough' years before we start 'competing'... I could be wrong but what concerns me the most is the potential of the other teams now in the past it was always United/Chelsea/Arsenal and then us .... a four horse race....but this is a whole new ball game, we have Spurs, City, and there is 'always' and outsider like Villa or the Bitters so I now see this as a 7/8 horse race something that could jeopardise our aspirations....

I am 'hoping' for a top four ....PLEASE
access

Postby laza » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:38 pm

bavlondon wrote:Now that he is here I really want the world cup over and done with, just so we can see who is staying, who isn't and move on with potential transfer targets ect.... Hopefully he will be given some money to spend before he sells any dead wood.

Yeah im in the same boat, roll on August and back into the fray
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:42 pm

laza wrote:
Judge wrote:

Well spotted Judge

frozen orange juice
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Waldo » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:14 pm

After all the hype and expectation surrounding the 09/10 season when everyone was thinking this is our season I will welcome a less expectant forecast for LFC for the upcoming 10/11 season. Hopefully the appointment of Roy Hodgson + the (hopefully) immiment appointment of Kenny in a bigger role will galvanise the club, squad, team. Hopefully we can then bring in a few players with the money raised from sales (Mascha, Benny, Riera + others) + the £15m promised to bring in the likes of Jovanovic, Cambiasso, Cole, Turan, CB and LB. In the meantime we've got all the stuff going on in the background with the ownership of the club which I believe will be resolved sooner rather than later.

Get off to a good start and who knows what might happen.

Ever the optimist. :D
Waldo
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion