Season expectations - part 2

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:00 pm

So, with Klopp almost confirmed, I think the time has come to reaffirm our season expectations.

Personally, I think Klopp has to be given time to find his feet. He's got a huge task, with organising the backroom staff, youth players and sorting out the first team squad. What's more, he has to wait until January before he can bring any new faces in.  I'd go so far to say that finishing anywhere in the top 7 would be acceptable this season, given the magnitude of the job.

Anything else (cup run, top 4) will be a massive bonus. But the rebuilding job starts now and our new manager will need time to sort out Bodger's mess.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:40 pm

win the league this season or Klopp out.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby mramo » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:45 pm

Klopp is coming to a club with an established squad of high class players. These players that are highly capable of winning trophies under the right setup.

Klopp wont need to make many changes with the current squad (except GK & DF). Not a fan of Mignolet and is prone to conceding a significant amount of goals since his arrival - I would like him replaced. The argument against is that his form doesn't help when your back line is constantly under performing & leaking goals every other week. Therefore I'd like to see Lovren leave and Can repositioned in midfield.

We are only 4pts from 2nd and with our rivals failing in games this season - Klopp will certainly use his opportunistic head and propel us as high as possible. I would like him to deliver one piece of silverware (even if its the League Cup).
mramo

Postby andy_g » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:53 pm

we will wear a black kit with screaming skulls on it
you'll never walk alone to be replaced with enter the sandman
all players forced to have long hair and beards, including skrtel
100% adrenaline heavy metal football
rush goalie
an all standing compulsory jumping 80,000 capacity anfield
being the most hipster club in the land
klopp to scream in the face of van gaal even when we're not playing them
CB partnership of sakho and subotic
fun fun fun
3rd or 4th place in the league or get rid of the freaky mofo

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:51 pm

mramo » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:45 pm wrote:Klopp is coming to a club with an established squad of high class players. These players that are highly capable of winning trophies under the right setup.

Klopp wont need to make many changes with the current squad (except GK & DF). Not a fan of Mignolet and is prone to conceding a significant amount of goals since his arrival - I would like him replaced. The argument against is that his form doesn't help when your back line is constantly under performing & leaking goals every other week. Therefore I'd like to see Lovren leave and Can repositioned in midfield.

We are only 4pts from 2nd and with our rivals failing in games this season - Klopp will certainly use his opportunistic head and propel us as high as possible. I would like him to deliver one piece of silverware (even if its the League Cup).

Establish squad of high class players ? highly capable of winning trophies ? Only one piece of silverware ?

I dont even know where to start but I'll just say that this is the worst Liverpool side I've ever seen. A good manager could perhaps help us overachieve and get to the 4th but that would largely depend on some of our rivals dropping the ball. Will be interesting to see how he reshapes the squad.

He's a good manager in cup competitions so I'd like to see him play a strong side in the Europa league and look for CL qualification through that.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:56 pm

stay in the prem
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:05 pm

Realistic expectations ?

1, Stabilise the squad and get current (quality) players wanting to stay here and others wanting to be here.
2, Restore faith in the Anfield Faithful
3, Top 6 finish showing promise that with him we will push on

Hopeful expectations ?

Same as 1 and 2 above plus we could maybe win a cup and also finish top four

:buttrock

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:11 pm

I agree with the OP, 5th - 7th is probably more realistic than top 4.
Let's not forget that Klopp likes his team's to press like crazy so he is going to have to compromise big time on that score because no way are we fit enough as a team to implement his gegenpressing style. One or two like Hendo and Danny Ings probably are but for gegenpressing to work everyone needs to be able to run their blood to water.
Pre season is absolutely vital to Klopp because apparently he doesn't do much fitness work during the actual season, gegenpressing is so physically demanding on the players that he likes them only to do light training between games.
That's all out of the window now, he's going to have to try and sort something out on the fly.
We won't see the best of Klopp until next season.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Penguins » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:30 pm

I won't change much in what I though at the start of the season.
Klopp won't bring in new players, he has what he has to work with. Changing tactics and get players on song right in a season takes time, with no preseason.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:13 pm

Its still early in the season and best thing is were not far off 4th. If Klopp gets this lot ticking i think we can get the 4th spot.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby SkippyRed » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:47 pm

3 points off 4th
6 points off first.

I expect us to set small goals. His first 5 league games are pretty tough. Get through them then we have a nice run to about February.
Use this time to establish a formation, and establish a core group of player.

Use the January window to bring in 3-4 players.

Overall, I expect us to be in the race for 4th, top 6 finish.

I would love us to win a trophy or at least get in the final.

And I want us to have a crack at winning the Europa League.
SkippyRed
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:39 pm

Top four and a cup
:nod
Thommo's perm

Postby parchpea » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:05 pm

Just small improvements running into a close or top 4 finish, trophy a bonus.

Definately we should take Europa more seriously and go at that full on. Rodgers epic fail in Europe.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion