Reds make bid for babel - According to his agent

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby mistyred » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:19 pm

Lets go to the scum site and see if every tom dick and harry moans about them buying
Nani and Anderson for close to 17mil each and they are both relative un knowns or is it just because
it's Lfc FFS.
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:46 pm

Liverpool signing Babel is the new Henry
By JOHN EDWARDS - More by this author »

Last updated at 23:21pm on 12th July 2007

Comments

It may sound a bit steep for a 20-year old still making his way in the game, but Marco van Basten, no less, is adamant Liverpool have acquired another Thierry Henry with their £11.5million outlay on Ryan Babel.

The Dutch league might have lost some of the sheen that was still dazzling foreign visitors as recently as the 1995-96 season, when Howard Wilkinson's Leeds United were turfed out of the UEFA Cup by an 8-3 aggregate score that by no means flattered an unstoppable PSV Eindhoven.

Babel is clearly in a league of his own, though, judging by the accolade he brings with him from Ajax to Anfield and the person who gave it to him.

For all Holland's renown for producing world-beaters up front, current national coach Van Basten stands comparison with the best and will always be remembered for the stunning volley from a seemingly impossible angle that left Russia's keeper Rinat Dassayev grasping at air in the 1988 European Championship final in Munich.

The vision that made him one of the eminent members of a multi-talented AC Milan side now extends to spotting talent for his home country and he had no doubts about Babel's pedigree.

"He has all the potential to become the next Thierry Henry," he said. "The pace, movement, finishing, feel for the game — it's all there. If he keeps developing and improving there is no saying what he might achieve in the game."

Babel could scarcely have wished for more lavish praise and it was no hasty appraisal, either.

Delivered in the build-up to last summer's World Cup finals after naming the Ajax flyer in his Holland squad, Van Basten based his view on no fewer than four years' worth of tuition and careful evaluation.

After suffering the heartbreak of rejection as a starry-eyed 10-year-old, Babel was taken on by his home club 12 months later and soon began to stand out, even in Ajax's academy.

By 15, with his first professional contract still three years away, he was terrorising defences to such a degree that first-team coach Ronald Koeman was summoned.

As he stood by the side of the pitch and marvelled at the local kid with the Henry looks and pace to match, Koeman quickly concluded that he had found the perfect pupil for his friend Van Basten's fledgling skills as a coach.

His coaching badges newly attained and with one eye already trained on moving into management, Van Basten needed little persuading to aid Babel's rapid development.

He began a series of one-to-one training sessions that accelerated his teenage prodigy's advance towards a first-team spot at the Amsterdam ArenA.

It duly arrived two months after Babel's 17th birthday, when he helped Ajax to a 4-0 win over Den Haag with a performance that set the tone for spectacular debuts.

Barely 13 months later, he earned his first Holland cap, as substitute for Arjen Robben, and became his country's youngest goalscorer for 68 years by rounding off a 2-0 win in Romania.

Five months short of his 21st birthday, he has already made 14 senior appearances, but his match-winning exploits at this summer's European Under 21s really announced him to English audiences.

Some onlookers from these shores were already familiar with what he had to offer, judging by mounting transfer speculation which at one stage portrayed him as a near certainty to replace Henry at Arsenal.

The conjecture evidently reached Babel's ears and his response may prove a source of embarrassment when he is soon paraded as Liverpool's latest big-money signing.

"If I got the chance, one day, to train with Arsene Wenger, it would be a dream come true," he gushed. "From when I was young, I always supported Arsenal. I like their style, everything about them."

It may raise a few eyebrows in and around Anfield, but Liverpool followers will forgive anything for the chance to end an 18-year wait for a League title.

All it needs is for Babel to start proving the Henry comparisons were well founded and the verbal indiscretion and mindboggling £2.5m pay-off from Ajax — his cut of the transfer fee — will count for nothing.

He is clearly in the mood, saying: "I think the Premiership is maybe the best league in the world. The standard is so high, but I believe I am ready to test myself in it."
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:51 pm

mistyred wrote:Lets go to the scum site and see if every tom dick and harry moans about them buying
Nani and Anderson for close to 17mil each and they are both relative un knowns or is it just because
it's Lfc FFS.

Have to agree with that mate. A month ago everyone (or nearly everyone) was whinging on.....'why is nothing happening'....'look at the mancs, no messing them, no haggling about an waiting for someone to come in and poach their targets'......'straight in and get their man even if they do pay over the odds'.....'why can't we do that?

Well you know what?

We just did.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:39 pm

From .TV:

BABEL SIGNS FIVE YEAR DEAL
Paul Eaton 13 July 2007 
  Liverpool have today confirmed the signing of Ryan Babel on a five year contract. 
The 20 year old Dutch international agreed the terms of his move from Ajax yesterday and will be officially unveiled as a Liverpool player alongside fellow new boy Yossi Benayoun this afternoon.

"I was in Aruba at the end of last week when I was told to start thinking about Liverpool because a move could happen," Babel said. "I have met Rafael Benítez and my conversation with him was the moment I knew the deal would get done.

"He is like the ideal father-in-law. He has a lot of football knowhow and he told me that I would be challenging with six other players for four positions. I have a good feeling about things.

"I met Dirk Kuyt at training, who I knew from the national team. At that moment he did not feel like a rival but I suppose that is what will happen.

"It was very important how the coach spoke to me, how I would fit in his team. After that conversation I knew it was the right decision."

Babel will wear the number 19 shirt at Anfield with Benayoun taking over the number 11 jersey.

---------------

So he's gonna be "challenging with six other players for four positions"
Obviously RW (pennant), LW (Kewell), striker (Torres, Kuyt, Crouch, Voronin)
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:51 pm

Redman in wales wrote:Babel will wear the number 19 shirt at Anfield with Benayoun taking over the number 11 jersey.

Hmmm doesnt that mean that the number 10 is still free with Luis leaving it vacant.

Could mean something or someone interesting.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:04 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:
Redman in wales wrote:Babel will wear the number 19 shirt at Anfield with Benayoun taking over the number 11 jersey.

Hmmm doesnt that mean that the number 10 is still free with Luis leaving it vacant.

yep you right check this out

Liverpool have today allocated squad numbers to new signings Yossi Benayoun and Ryan Babel. 
Israeli star Benayoun will wear the number 11 shirt vacated by Mark Gonzalez while former Ajax starlet Babel has been given the number 19 jersey.

Alvaro Arbeloa will switch from number 2 to number 17 for the coming season while the returning Scott Carson will be number 26. 

dont mention the 10 being given to any one else so we can hope : D

link :   http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N156368070713-1354.htm
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:08 pm

GERRARD RAVES OVER LIVERPOOL'S TITLE 'INTENT'
The Guardian 11 July 2007

Steven Gerrard has insisted that the time has come for Liverpool to be taken seriously in the title race after acclaiming "a major statement of intent" with the £26.5m signing of Fernando Torres. 

"Torres has all the attributes to become firmly established as world class," said the Liverpool captain, who was nine when the club last won the title in 1990. "Some of the other players we're being linked with excite me too. It's great to see us looking at young, hungry players with their best years ahead of them.

"Since I've been in the first team I can't remember us making such a major statement of intent in the transfer market as this. In recent years it's only really been Manchester United and Chelsea buying players around the £20m mark, so it's great to see us able to compete for players of that kind of value.

"The Liverpool board has always backed the manager and we've invested heavily over the years. Roy Evans and Gerard Houllier spent a lot of money, but we have all been looking to that extra step to close the gap and attract the kind of players United and Chelsea would be able to afford.

"This is the first summer in a long time we've been able to do that. I'll bet players and fans from other clubs have been looking at us and thinking: 'Aye, aye, Liverpool are making a move for some of the big boys now."

Gerrard said that he had never played against Torres, "but I've watched him a lot. I really like him and I'm sure he will prove a great signing for us. He's a fast, strong centre-forward who likes the ball being played into his feet. They are the kind of strikers I love playing with. I've no doubt we're going to get our money's worth out of him, with him being such a young player.

Well gerrard seems happy good enuff for me .   
:upside:   :laugh:
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:11 pm

LegBarnes wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:

Liverpool have today allocated squad numbers to new signings Yossi Benayoun and Ryan Babel. 
Israeli star Benayoun will wear the number 11 shirt vacated by Mark Gonzalez while former Ajax starlet Babel has been given the number 19 jersey.

Alvaro Arbeloa will switch from number 2 to number 17 for the coming season while the returning Scott Carson will be number 26. 

Big Sam Allardyce has just been on SSN and was asked whether Michael Owen was guaranteed to be a Newcastle player this coming season, and he said he couldnt answer questions that where out of his hands.

What number did Michael used to wear for LFC  :suspect:

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:15 pm

LoL raffa wouldnt bring back Owen  :pirate
would he  :pirate
could he  :pirate
i bloody hope he does   :wwww
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby sworth26 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:27 pm

nargh.... really can't see it.. Rafa stated his intent with Owen 3 years ago and I can't see him wanting to pay more than we received for him, especially with him being increasing injury prone
sworth26

Postby LegBarnes » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:33 pm

sworth26 wrote:nargh.... really can't see it.. Rafa stated his intent with Owen 3 years ago and I can't see him wanting to pay more than we received for him, especially with him being increasing injury prone

i know i was dreaming tbh couldnt say it wouldnt be cool tho to have him back even if he did stab us in the back a bit but he defo paid for that watching us lift the CL cup so i think it evened it self out.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GLB1 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:34 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/team/squad/

10. Andriy Voronin
GLB1

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:35 pm

GLB1 wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/team/squad/

10. Andriy Voronin

He was training in no 22 yesterday (Voronin)

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby El Nino_#9 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:35 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:
LegBarnes wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:

Big Sam Allardyce has just been on SSN and was asked whether Michael Owen was guaranteed to be a Newcastle player this coming season, and he said he couldnt answer questions that where out of his hands.

What number did Michael used to wear for LFC  :suspect:

Voronin is number 10 people.
Last edited by El Nino_#9 on Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby inglis5 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:35 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:

Voronin has been given the number 10.

http://www.lfconline.com/news/loadnews.asp?cid=TMNW&id=342969
inglis5

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion