Scouting the friendlies - Internationals who would make good reds?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby NCRedFan7 » Wed May 24, 2006 2:55 pm

I thought that this would be a good time to introduce a new topic dedicated solely to the analysis of international friendlies before the World Cup, with the main focus on maybe finding some diamonds in the rough.

With that in mind, I watched my United States lose to Morocco last night....

....please stop laughing, hurts enough as-is....

...mainly because Bruce Arena grew impatient and went from a 4-4-2 that was controlling the game completely to a 3-5-2 at the half that showed unbelievable weakness against the counter.  I comfort myself with the thought that a friendly with six subs is hardly anything to lose sleep over.

Best players of the match:

Oguchi Onyewu - This guy is a beast.  6-4, 220 lbs, pure muscle....guy looks like a linebacker.  Ideal central defender who I believe is currently playing his club football at Standard De Liege (Belgium?).  Was rock solid until they took him out....shortly after which we gave up the only goal of the match.  Cheap backup for Hyypia/Carragher/Agger?

Bobby Convey - Quick, clever, great passer of the ball.  Plays in MLS, which means we could get him for peanuts.  Plays left wing, reminded me of Joe Cole minus the Chelski stain on his soul.

Landon Donovan - Tireless runner, good on the ball, but, as Chris Farley said in Tommy Boy, "Him just a little guy!"

As for the rest, well, I may be American, but I know ineptitude when I spot it.

-NCRedFan7
NCRedFan7

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed May 24, 2006 4:02 pm

Scouting out players seen in internationals is what landed us with the likes of Diouf, Diao and Biscan.

Fair enough if our scouts then follow players at their clubs, watching them a few times against different kinds of opposition, but going in for players on the back of one-off internationals is notoriously risky. Houllier went down that route, and we got burned horribly. You get players like Milan Baros who occasionally look world class for the Czech Republic, but just can't put in consistent performances at club level. It's just a completely different kind of football.
ivor_the_injun

Postby Sabre » Wed May 24, 2006 4:50 pm

Well, Spain is going to play some friendlies, and I'll scout LG, Reina and Alonso's performances here.

About the issue ivor comments, well, I think Official international games are as competitive as the league ones. Friendlies, they are not. When Spain plays friendlies they play in a different way, and allowing themselves things that the coach wouldn't forgive in an official match.

What's the problem really? that you cannot take too many conclussions of international runs, simply, because each team plays no more than 6 games. In 4-5 games you can be utterly brilliant, just because a matter of form and luck. There have been lots of cases before Baros. Those of you who are a bit older remember Toto Schilacci, the Italian? he was absolutely great in Italy 1990, then he proved to be utter cráp.

In 4-5 games it's difficult to jump into conclussions, I have seen some plays from Saudi Arabia, specially a goal that was achieved running from the midfield, that could have been done by Maradona, but an instant of inspiration doesn't make a class player.

To be honest, not that I was too impressed by Baros in Czchek Republic, he just scored goals that he had to score, otherwise he'd be cráp. He had more media attention than real impressive performances.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Wed May 24, 2006 5:02 pm

Bobby Convey - Quick, clever, great passer of the ball.  Plays in MLS, which means we could get him for peanuts.  Plays left wing, reminded me of Joe Cole minus the Chelski stain on his soul.

I thought he played for Reading ???
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NCRedFan7 » Wed May 24, 2006 5:32 pm

Whoops.
NCRedFan7

Postby Garymac » Wed May 24, 2006 5:40 pm

Not an international but i think a few bigger and better teams will be taking a look at Ashley Young from Watford next season, Very good player indeed.
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby 48-1119859832 » Wed May 24, 2006 7:18 pm

ivor_the_injun wrote:Scouting out players seen in internationals is what landed us with the likes of Diouf, Diao and Biscan.

Fair enough if our scouts then follow players at their clubs, watching them a few times against different kinds of opposition, but going in for players on the back of one-off internationals is notoriously risky. Houllier went down that route, and we got burned horribly. You get players like Milan Baros who occasionally look world class for the Czech Republic, but just can't put in consistent performances at club level. It's just a completely different kind of football.

Agreed, it's best to monitor a player for maybe a season or two and then weigh up the pros and cons of that player. That's what Ged should of done with the likes of Diouf, Diao, Cheyrou and Biscan.
48-1119859832

Postby frelar » Wed May 24, 2006 7:18 pm

NCRedFan7 wrote:I thought that this would be a good time to introduce a new topic dedicated solely to the analysis of international friendlies before the World Cup, with the main focus on maybe finding some diamonds in the rough.

With that in mind, I watched my United States lose to Morocco last night....

....please stop laughing, hurts enough as-is....

...mainly because Bruce Arena grew impatient and went from a 4-4-2 that was controlling the game completely to a 3-5-2 at the half that showed unbelievable weakness against the counter.  I comfort myself with the thought that a friendly with six subs is hardly anything to lose sleep over.

Best players of the match:

Oguchi Onyewu - This guy is a beast.  6-4, 220 lbs, pure muscle....guy looks like a linebacker.  Ideal central defender who I believe is currently playing his club football at Standard De Liege (Belgium?).  Was rock solid until they took him out....shortly after which we gave up the only goal of the match.  Cheap backup for Hyypia/Carragher/Agger?

Landon Donovan - Tireless runner, good on the ball, but, as Chris Farley said in Tommy Boy, "Him just a little guy!"

As for the rest, well, I may be American, but I know ineptitude when I spot it.

-NCRedFan7

i saw you spoke about ogushi. He is a center defender and plays at standard in belgium. He is a good player but did lot's a faults...This year, he has receive something about 10yellow cards and 3red...So i think it's a lot.

But, as i just told you, i'm belgian an so i think there are some good players in belgium...Not a lot but....

For example at anderlecht (the champion), there are vincent kompany(center defender), vanden borre(right defender or right middle), whillemson(right middle), ...
I think these 3players could play at liverpool...

Sorry for my english but i speak french...And if you have some questions about the belgian's football...ask them
frelar

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Wed May 24, 2006 8:34 pm

Guess who is on the bench for Norway, the next Alan Hansen, Frode Kippe!

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Wed May 24, 2006 8:35 pm

From Wikipedia:

Frode Kippe (born January 17, 1978) is a Norwegian international footballer. He usually plays as a centeral defender, and currently plays for Lillestrøm S.K. in the Norwegian Premier League. Kippe started his career playing amateure football for Kolbotn I.L., but moved to Lillestrøm S.K. at the age of 19 to play proffesionaly. At the end of the 1998-season Kippe was signed by English FA Premier league club Liverpool. After four years in England, including two loan-deals with Stoke, Kippe went back home to Norway and signed with LSK in 2002. He is regarded as one of the best defenders in the Norwegian league and is captain of Lillestrøm S.K.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Wed May 24, 2006 8:39 pm

Gonzalez is having a field day against Ireland, get in there you lad. Almost scored, hit the post after a blistering shot.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Paul C » Thu May 25, 2006 4:57 pm

I liked Acuna, Suazo and Jimenez last night for Chile, also that lad McCreedy looked ok for Ireland :)
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby EddieC » Thu May 25, 2006 5:27 pm

Paul C wrote:I liked Acuna, Suazo and Jimenez last night for Chile, also that lad McCreedy looked ok for Ireland :)

McCreedy, was that the guy on the right? he looked to one footed to me, had plenty of chances to put the ball in with his left, but tried get it on his right and lost the ball.
EddieC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laurence_2k2 » Thu May 25, 2006 5:46 pm

thats mcgeady he plays for celtic looks a decent wee winger hes very young,thought gonzalez was terrific running at speed at the irish defenders,very unlucky hitting the post.Lets hope next season he can set the premiership alight
The Rafalution Continues!
laurence_2k2

Postby deejay-cgt » Thu May 25, 2006 7:33 pm

so glad we got gonzalez in he looked well good against ireland hopefully he as good 4 us :D
CgT

deejay-cgt

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion