Reds make bid for babel - According to his agent

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby inglis5 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:59 am

JohnBull wrote:I was not really happy about the Yanks at first and some of Raffas signings in the past were obviously from his "B" list and were never going to make it here.
This close season has been brilliant and I could not fault ONE of the signings. Just let's hope we show the aggression this NEW team has, when we play the other two.
Anyone with access to the Dutch channels (RTE etc) should have a good look at Babel before putting a question mark on him.

Exactly. If you look at what has gone on over the past couple of months is outstanding. All top players signed to new long-term contracts, new (improved) stadium moving forward and now top quality signings. I can't believe people can still be complaining!!! You can't go out and buy proven, world class stars (Etoo, Kaka, Ronaldinho et al) at this stage of the club's development, you need to take a bit of a risk on buying younger players.*

*The similarities between Babel and C Ronaldo are uncanny, similar price, similar player / position coming from a league of similar standards.

Rafa has drastically improved our goal scoring threat without breaking the bank. Net outlay of £20 million on Torres / Benayoun and Babel. Can't argue with that. This closed season is about bridging the gap, improving the quality and depth of the squad while adding some players that will go into the first team. I don't think we can underestimate the transformation of the club since Rafa took control. As he pointed out, our top signed was £14 million and Man U were spending more than that on a second defensive midfielder! The improvement is now gathering pace, personally I think this year we will come up short again but not by nearly as far as before. Keep on improving the team and the squad, another two decent transfer windows and we'll be there. Liverpool FC - 2008 /2009 Premiership Champions!

In Rafa we trust.
inglis5

Postby Roger Red Hat » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:04 am

inglis5 wrote:Liverpool FC - 2008 /2009 Premiership Champions!

...for the second season running!
:D

come on, be realistic
Last edited by Roger Red Hat on Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dutchsky » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:09 am

Sabre wrote:(they for instace brought Romario first)

And Ronaldo...
Dutchsky

Postby Dutchsky » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:12 am

inglis5 wrote:*The similarities between Babel and C Ronaldo are uncanny, similar price, similar player / position coming from a league of similar standards.

Hmm don't agree.
Babel ain't a winger, although he is playing at that position.
And he is less skilled then Ronaldo.
Dutchsky

Postby inglis5 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:28 am

Dutchsky wrote:
inglis5 wrote:*The similarities between Babel and C Ronaldo are uncanny, similar price, similar player / position coming from a league of similar standards.

Hmm don't agree.
Babel ain't a winger, although he is playing at that position.
And he is less skilled then Ronaldo.

He hasn't got a terrible haircut and he doesn't get his mates sent off in World Cup Quarter Finals either... but your just being picky!  :D
inglis5

Postby redmikey » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:40 am

i hope his first season isn't racked with ache, diving and :censored: poor crosses and too many step overs :p
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:06 pm

Well I've never seen the bloke play or in fact heard of him so it'd be too early even for me to voice an opinion :) It is interesting though that after two months of being linked with every Tomas, Ricardo and Arri throughout Europe and having all the insiders in the press and off the boards, not forgetting uncle Albert of course on the case, we seemingly always end up signing a player that has not been mentioned once, by anybody :D I've been trawling the rumour mill on a daily basis, not a cab driver nor a Rick Parry's milkman has mentioned this one. Fair play to the people within the inner caucus of the club, they can definately keep a secret I'll give them that.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:44 pm

bigmick wrote:Well I've never seen the bloke play or in fact heard of him so it'd be too early even for me to voice an opinion :) It is interesting though that after two months of being linked with every Tomas, Ricardo and Arri throughout Europe and having all the insiders in the press and off the boards, not forgetting uncle Albert of course on the case, we seemingly always end up signing a player that has not been mentioned once, by anybody :D I've been trawling the rumour mill on a daily basis, not a cab driver nor a Rick Parry's milkman has mentioned this one. Fair play to the people within the inner caucus of the club, they can definately keep a secret I'll give them that.

are we looking forward to a thread that you will soon post called "I know its early but Babel..." bigmick? :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:02 pm

metalhead wrote:
bigmick wrote:Well I've never seen the bloke play or in fact heard of him so it'd be too early even for me to voice an opinion :) It is interesting though that after two months of being linked with every Tomas, Ricardo and Arri throughout Europe and having all the insiders in the press and off the boards, not forgetting uncle Albert of course on the case, we seemingly always end up signing a player that has not been mentioned once, by anybody :D I've been trawling the rumour mill on a daily basis, not a cab driver nor a Rick Parry's milkman has mentioned this one. Fair play to the people within the inner caucus of the club, they can definately keep a secret I'll give them that.

are we looking forward to a thread that you will soon post called "I know its early but Babel..." bigmick? :D

:D

goal.com has the transfer as being confirmed:

http://www.goal.com/en/
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby barnesrush » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:39 pm

havent really seen enough of babel to give a useful opinion. definately looked a cut above at u21 level but we really need players who are a cut above at full international and club level. slightly worrying that alot of our dutch friends dont rate him but he looks to have enormous potential. just a bit worrying if rafa has brought him in to be back up to kewell to ease him in gently. thought rafa would have learnt his lesson that harry cant be relied on to play alot of games and just hope babel doesnt get thrown in at the deep end like gonzales whose confidence took a bit of a beating as a result.

anyone know of any decent sites to get full game torrents from? would be nice to have a look at some of the new guys in a bit more depth than youtube compilations
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby puroresu » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:57 pm

barnesrush wrote:havent really seen enough of babel to give a useful opinion. definately looked a cut above at u21 level but we really need players who are a cut above at full international and club level. slightly worrying that alot of our dutch friends dont rate him but he looks to have enormous potential. just a bit worrying if rafa has brought him in to be back up to kewell to ease him in gently. thought rafa would have learnt his lesson that harry cant be relied on to play alot of games and just hope babel doesnt get thrown in at the deep end like gonzales whose confidence took a bit of a beating as a result.

anyone know of any decent sites to get full game torrents from? would be nice to have a look at some of the new guys in a bit more depth than youtube compilations

register at soccerpulse.com.  They have loads of vids from all leagues on the forums
puroresu

Postby GRIMM599 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:03 pm

I dont have the site now, but when i get home ill post the footy stream link so you can watch the pre season games. im not sure about a footy torrent site but if you find one, please post it.
GRIMM599

Postby barnesrush » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:09 pm

nice one puroresu. if i find anything good ill put it up here
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby puroresu » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:18 pm

barnesrush wrote:nice one puroresu. if i find anything good ill put it up here

Some amazing compilations people put on there.  Riquelme one is off the hook.  He doesnt really fit into our team but I really wouldnt mind having riquelme!!
puroresu

Postby Mike1976 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:12 pm

Redman in wales wrote:Yes he does have ability, and yes he does have potential, but £13.5mil is a lot of money for someone as young and unproven and raw as him. - Especially when Drenthe (a better player in many peoples eyes) is going for half that amount.

Every single Ajax fan who has com on here is saying the same thing. He's good, but not £13mil good. £6-8mil would be a definate yes, and a very useful addition to the squad as a young back-up for kewell...

I'm an Ajax fan, and I have been irritated pretty much the entire season about Babel's performance (last year was average, because he had a particular trick for scoring alot, but since every defender in our league knows it by now, it doesn't have any effect anymore). 5 Goals and 5 assists is far under par.

The same can be said for Drenthe. Everybody is saying he is so good, but that's only based on the same Under21 matches as Babel, during the regular season I laughed whenever he got the ball (though that is partially the fault of the coach who posted him in defense instead of midfield). As long as he doesn't need to defend, then he'll be alright.

Real paying alot for Drenthe would be the same fortune as Liverpool paying so much for Babel, with the difference that Babel has 3 years of league, UEFA cup and champions league experience, where as Drenthe has just played one (misserable as far as his club goes) season. Babel still needs to learn alot, which is why he should have stayed at Ajax for a season or two more, Liverpool doesn't offer that chance, if he doesn't perform he'll be on the transferlist again next season.

We've had plenty of players like Babel who thought they were the best in the world, and after they went abroad we scarcely heard about them again. Only chance being when they sign for a club from Malta, Cyprus etc. Players prefer to go to a smaller club for the cash instead of improving another year and going to a really big club.

"It's all about the money".
Mike1976

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion