Reality check

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Mon May 09, 2005 10:30 pm

If we are not in CL next year, I think the goal next season will be 4th (We are likely to me miles behind winners, Carling & FA & Uefa cup are second rate tournaments).

You need to get the fourth place out of your head, and so does the club. FOURTH PLACE IS NOT SUCCESS! It never has been and it never will be, don't give me that :censored: "fourth is the new first". It's sh1t wrapped in a box with nice looking paper, in reality it means that you're fourth best in the league nothing more.

Our true goal next season is to finish higher than fourth, I am tired of this club and fans setting the same goal every season: finish fourth. We got to go higher, this club has too high of standards to settle for fourth place every other year.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 09, 2005 10:54 pm

Big Niall wrote:I usually get shouted down here for being a realist but as Jamie Carragher agrees with me, I can't be accused of not supporting the team.

We are not a very good team. We will come 5th or 6th in a league which only has three decent teams. We are miles behind the leaders and not qualifying for the CL will be a huge blow to our finance/pulling power.

I (JC didn't say this) think Rafa might turn out to be a good manager but I had expected his team (even with injuries) to do better than Everton over 38 games. The team has been terrible at times and lost as much as they won - we're on the same points as Bolton for fukk sake.

If we are not in CL next year, I think the goal next season will be 4th (We are likely to me miles behind winners, Carling & FA & Uefa cup are second rate tournaments).

I know it is a harsh post but I just think that not being in CL has been a huge blow and it has put us back another step in quest to be league champs. It is still a long way off.

Congrats to David Moyes - he MUST now be manager of the year.

we havent won the league in fifteen seasons mate, do you expect rafa to win that in his first season as well? even bob paisley finished fifth once, and that was after he`d been in the job 5 years - would you have sacked him?
everyones dissapointed mate but we are all realistic enough to realise that building a good side takes years, look at alex ferguson it took him six years to do anything and that was at the richest club in the league (he was 17th at one point).
give the fella time.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby supersub » Mon May 09, 2005 11:29 pm

I totally agree with AB,4th is :censored: wrapped in paper.Give me a European Cup Final appearance ahead of 4th,3rd even 2nd any day.

I doubt any fans next season will be singing "we were 4th,we were 4th"

but what a return we will have "Champions of Europe"
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby A.B. » Tue May 10, 2005 3:02 am

I doubt any fans next season will be singing "we were 4th,we were 4th"

Everton fans will be, for them this is a equivelant to winning a title, as they've forgotten how it feels to win one :D
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue May 10, 2005 3:06 am

Though this thread is headed reality check and there are some good posts coming out ,to debate whether we have had a good season or not.
Most Liverpool supporters will be happy with the first season under a new manager ,coaching staff and new players etc.Liverpool havent lived up to expectations on the domestic front and have been very poor at certain times this season,but this is Rafas only real problem to address in the summer.
And although it is an important one im sure this problem will be given full attention to.
The problem also amounts to buying a lot of foreign players who have to adapt to the hustle and bustle of the EPL,at the same time we want new signings for next season and many of them will probably be from the continent.
So we might even have the same problem as we have had this season (the transitional period),and all Liverpool supporters should give Rafa the time to re-build.
But because we are Liverpool and expect to be a dominant force we still hope at the same time  as the manager is making these changes we will win footballs great achievments.
With most other football clubs fans and supporters would be exstatic with what the  manager has done and i think most Liverpool supporters will be happy to.
But you could also think of it like this if we hadnt reached the CL final would you all be happy with Rafas first season ?
We have been excellent in the competiton and have put our mark back on in  europe.
I for one wouldnt be to bothered if we didnt play this competition next seaon as i have said before we could really focuse on the league and get our foreign players bedded down in the hustle and bustle of the league.
Maybe if we did get knocked out of CL earlier we would of had a better domestic campaign,who knows ?
But the fact is he has gotten us to theCL which is nothing short of a miracle considering Wenger cant even get Arsenal past the quarters,and Manure have been knocked out early in recent years plus we also knocked out maureen and his bunch of plastic ar$es just goes to show Liverpool football club is heading in the right direction.
So Big Niall the reality check is you cant expect it all to change overnight.
66-1112520797

Postby akumaface » Tue May 10, 2005 4:57 am

Big Niall wrote:"Also, Chelsea play their games straight after European gams too and have only lost once in the league and the size of the squad is not an excuse as they play the same team most of the time. "

That's why they were out of CL. We absolutely stoned them but Fatique might also be a factor as some players from Chelski had suggested it.

"I think Rafa cannot underestimate small teams again and he must buy/select players who not only have skill but have the strength to play against limited hackers like Robbie Savage. To be honest, many of the players haven't played with pride in the league and especially so in the last month"

He never did underestimate any small team, he simply had limited resources and need to make a choice. Do you think he wanted to play the likes of Raven, Welsh and Le Tallec all at the same time? I don't think so. He was forced to do it. I'm sure if he has his own team in couple years time, these kind of situation will be rare.

"I said before Rafa came that nobody should be abusing the manger until at least 3 seasons are up. I am just pointing out what I consider to be his mistakes and that we have a long way to go even if we do win against Milan."

No one is perfect, he will still make mistake in 3 years time (heck maybe 10 years time). So what, the coach will live by his decision and if it works out, people will say he is a genius. I simply think he has been very creative this season and I don't know what more can be expected (we are in 2 finals this year).

:no
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby red_guy » Tue May 10, 2005 5:27 am

what's the use of getting fourth place, going into CL but never passed the group stages? yes, we failed to get the 4th spot, but when was the last time we were in the Champions League final? we, as a fan should be grateful . yes, this season's league form's dissapointing...next season will be better.. 
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red_guy » Tue May 10, 2005 5:31 am

just look at arsenal, they we're great, domestically but in Europe...who are they?
:p
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion