A Reality / Sanity Check - DONT PANIC !

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:30 pm

Lee J wrote:
Ciggy wrote:
Lee J wrote:We got to 20th January only losing 1 game :cool:  that my pedigree chums is champion form. (ish)

We have only won 3 of our last 9 games, everything is great in the league table, but these bloody draws are doing us major damage.
And the worrying thing is we know there will be more to come.

yep it's a real shame but at least we aren't losing silly games. 1 defeat ciggy, 1 defeat all season. that is good going. We used to win the league and lose how many? 4 games a season? 3 games a season?

ok so we drawn more than we should.   :cool:

I would rather lose 3 and win 3 than draw 6 LeeJ
account deleted by request

Postby Roger Red Hat » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:32 pm

what I mean is at least we drew the games and didnt lose all 6.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redbeergoggles » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:34 pm

Why assume it was any particular poster I had in mind ,maybe you should ask your boyfriend about this persecution complex you adapt .:D
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby Roger Red Hat » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:41 pm

redbeergoggles wrote:Why assume it was any particular poster I had in mind ,maybe you should ask your boyfriend about this persecution complex you adapt .:D

sorry to butt in old chap but what has anything you've posted in this thread got to do with this thread? seems your maybe trying to make some twubble, hmmm

so redbeergoggles, whats your take on the current situation at the top of the league?
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redbeergoggles » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:42 pm

Anyway lets get back on topic ,Ive been provided with enough amusement  :D Good post Leon it needed saying .
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:43 pm

I never assumed you meant any particular poster I was just trying to point out that this is not the gay forum you are obviously looking for, and you might have better luck finding a partner elsewhere.
account deleted by request

Postby redbeergoggles » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:54 pm

Lee J wrote:
redbeergoggles wrote:Why assume it was any particular poster I had in mind ,maybe you should ask your boyfriend about this persecution complex you adapt .:D

sorry to butt in old chap but what has anything you've posted in this thread got to do with this thread? seems your maybe trying to make some twubble, hmmm

so redbeergoggles, whats your take on the current situation at the top of the league?

My opinion of our present league position is as follows
We currently have the same amount of points as our nemesis ,we have one solitary loss to our name .Skrtel is back ,Agger will be back soon ,Torres looked sharper than he has all season last night and was often making his own space .Man U will drop points they are not a great team ,Its only people who listen to the media that construct the view that we have blown it ,and finally Anfield was rocking last night ,albeit the few who walked before the end ,real fans don't leave .So on that point I will look on the the forthcoming games with a zest .
That concludes my view .....
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby redbeergoggles » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:55 pm

Shhhh your boring me now
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby andy_g » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:03 pm

there is no point and no need to dictate the way people think on this forum. in my view, the establishment of terms such as the doom-and-gloomers, the happy-clappers, the rose-tinted-brigade etc etc has only served to entrench opinions and cause more handbags. football changes, life changes and opinions change and a good forum should allow people to reflect that in their points of view.

as regards reality and liverpool football club then i would say that, in relative terms, we are slipping backwards a little. yes, we were top for ages, and yes we are only a point off top now, but are we really sustaining the form we showed in patches earlier in the season. remember when we would be a goal or two down in the second half and we'd come back and win it? remember that we even felt slightly comfortable about the fact that we would? do you still feel that comfortable?

the reality is that we're not playing that well. we are drawing too much at anfield and not beating some teams we should still be able to beat on their own patch.

the reality is that many of us got what we wanted, a challenge, to be considered possible title winning material. the shame is that its looking like we are making hard work of sustaining it.

the reality is that we will probably have to settle for 2nd, possibly even 3rd, again this season.

the truth is that, despite all that, the season has already been an improvement on any we've had in recent years. we should be able to feel positive that we are going forwards, albeit slowly, but its difficult when pretty much all of us realise that we might just miss out on the best chance we've had to be crowned champions in a long, long time.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:24 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
Liverpool are second only on goal difference to Manchester United, although they now have a game in hand, and, while this may have felt like a defeat, it is very far from a disaster for Liverpool. A disaster would be, as Benitez readily points out, if they had reached the mid-point in January out of touch with the title race and eliminated from the Champions League. In many respects Benitez's team are in great shape but, as all champions must, they have not yet demonstrated that they are capable of overcoming each and every obstacle.

Every season since I have been on football forums, Liverpool fans have wanted one thing. Not a new car or a new striker or the elusive right wonger. Just " to be in with a sniff at the turn of the year. "

Well guess what, this season we are.

Not only that, but even without our best striker in the last five years, withstanding the contract problems of the manager and some key players, in the face of the poor form we have shownw in the last month or so. In spite of the fact that we have drawn five league games at home, and regardless of the fact that United and Chelsea are so so superior to us on and off the park (according to some on here) AND even though our biggest signing of the summer has belly flopped.

We are level on points with United.

We are within a goal or two of the goal difference figures of our most apparent competitor.

We have only lost one league game all season.

DONT PANIC !

Sorry mate but this sounds like you are just sugar coating the present situation to look like we are still in with a shout.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby we all dream... » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:45 pm

s@int wrote:
Lee J wrote:
Ciggy wrote:
Lee J wrote:We got to 20th January only losing 1 game :cool:  that my pedigree chums is champion form. (ish)

We have only won 3 of our last 9 games, everything is great in the league table, but these bloody draws are doing us major damage.
And the worrying thing is we know there will be more to come.

yep it's a real shame but at least we aren't losing silly games. 1 defeat ciggy, 1 defeat all season. that is good going. We used to win the league and lose how many? 4 games a season? 3 games a season?

ok so we drawn more than we should.   :cool:

I would rather lose 3 and win 3 than draw 6 LeeJ

But then you would be moaning about how inconsistant we are rather than how consistantly average we are being at the moment.

2nd in the league in january. I am happy with that. worried that we may be kidding ourselves, but all in all I have belief in our manager.. and first 11 (whatever it is)
we all dream...
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:09 pm

I'm not sure it's panic really.

Some people on here have been sounding the warning bells about our lack of ability to turn draws into wins for a couple of months now, so the result against Everton was neither surprising nor panic inducing. Some people on here have mentioned the Mancs and the fact they'd got most of their hard games out of the way in the first third of the season a few times. They may have got slagged off for it at the time, but now the inevitable run of wins is beginning to be racked up by Man Utd it's neither a surprise nor panic inducing. Neither is it panic inducing that they have now gone past us, as obviously if we keep drawing every week they will. No panic involved there.

One or two people ventured the opinion that to drop Keane in the immediate aftermath of both occasions this season he scored two goals, was running the risk of making him a shell of the footballer rafa paid 20 million quid for six months ago. That it appears it might be coming to pass isn't particularly shocking, and as long as Torres stays fit it doesn't induce panic either.

It's the same mentality telling people not to panic, as it was for the last three seasons bashing anybody who ventured an opinion that mass rotation from game one wasn't a good idea. They were wrong about that one. Similarly, as the games passed by last season and we began our draw fest, they told us "but we're unbeaten FFS!!" (we know) and we remained so long after the leaders had disappeared over the horizon. This season when we drew with Stoke, if you voiced displeasure at it you got jumped on "FFS we're top of the league!!!" and we were. We were but the gap was ever diminishing, the shadows of the pursuers was looming ever larger.

So is there panic? No. Because of our start we still have a chance of winning the league. To do so, from here we are probably going to have to win a very high percentage of our matches. Are we capable of that? I think we are yes. Would I put my house on it? Well no I wouldn't to be honest. Sorry if that confirms me as not a real fan and all that, but given all the probabilities, options and possibilties, I think the Mancs will probably win it. The probable gap at the end has nudged out with me to between 7-9 points.

Is it a panic to say unless our form improves we might end up in a dog fight for fourth? No it isn't, it's a statement of the obvious. My feeling is that our form will improve and that we won't get involved in that dogfight, but obviously nobody can say for sure.

Panic though? Interesting one that.
Last edited by bigmick on Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:27 pm

bavlondon wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:
Liverpool are second only on goal difference to Manchester United, although they now have a game in hand, and, while this may have felt like a defeat, it is very far from a disaster for Liverpool. A disaster would be, as Benitez readily points out, if they had reached the mid-point in January out of touch with the title race and eliminated from the Champions League. In many respects Benitez's team are in great shape but, as all champions must, they have not yet demonstrated that they are capable of overcoming each and every obstacle.

Every season since I have been on football forums, Liverpool fans have wanted one thing. Not a new car or a new striker or the elusive right wonger. Just " to be in with a sniff at the turn of the year. "

Well guess what, this season we are.

Not only that, but even without our best striker in the last five years, withstanding the contract problems of the manager and some key players, in the face of the poor form we have shownw in the last month or so. In spite of the fact that we have drawn five league games at home, and regardless of the fact that United and Chelsea are so so superior to us on and off the park (according to some on here) AND even though our biggest signing of the summer has belly flopped.

We are level on points with United.

We are within a goal or two of the goal difference figures of our most apparent competitor.

We have only lost one league game all season.

DONT PANIC !

Sorry mate but this sounds like you are just sugar coating the present situation to look like we are still in with a shout.

we are still in with a shout , no reason why we cant win the league .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:34 pm

I will panic if we keep dropping points and fall down the table! wont happen.. i hope!
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:04 pm

I agree the respect Andy request for all opinions, and the change of those.

the reality is that we're not playing that well. we are drawing too much at anfield and not beating some teams we should still be able to beat on their own patch.

the reality is that many of us got what we wanted, a challenge, to be considered possible title winning material. the shame is that its looking like we are making hard work of sustaining it.

the reality is that we will probably have to settle for 2nd, possibly even 3rd, again this season.

All this is reality, but it's also a reality that we've been playing without the striker that puts us on another level. It's a reality we've managed to stay on top despite that unwanted injury.

Perhaps some of us look at the positive side too much, but I'm certain that looking always the bottle half empty is not realistic neither.

An example of what I'm saying? The "realistic" (note the quotes) people in this forum talked last May of little progress and some even made parallelisms with Houllier. The reality has put that realistic opinions in context: we're fighting for the league, and we're not that far away from Manchester United and Chelsea as they pretended.
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion