A Reality / Sanity Check - DONT PANIC !

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Number 9 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:40 pm

Its all very good saying this is the reality,its not all bad,its pretty much true in fact!Everyone knows the mathematics,if UTD win their game in hand they will be 3 clear.Everyone also(well most) would admit that at the start of the season we'd have taken the present scenario with both hands,so of course its not all bad.

People have focused on team selection at times,blaming Rafa for poor results.Then theres the subs,again Rafa gets shi't for that...and IMO rightly so on occasion.

What about player mentality though?In fact this worries me more.Look at the early part of the season.We had a hell of a lot more belief in the ranks then.How many last minute goals to take all 3 points?Then we had the game were we were 2-0 down to City and came back and won 3-2.
Watching us now I fail to see where 3 goals would come from if that happened again.I wonder has the pressure of being top got to the players?
We need the players to dig deep and find that belief they had last year.They need to put more into games that are looking like a draw.Theres no reason our home form should be so poor,in fact its inexcusable when you look at the 11 players we have out there most weeks compared to who we are facing.
Of course the manager is the one where the buck stops,but the players are the ones who need to do it on the pitch.
We need to thump someone at Anfield to get this monkey off our backs.Next match there is Chelsea,that would be the perfect victory to give the players a boost.It looks like they need it!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:02 pm

bigmick wrote:I'm not sure it's panic really.

Some people on here have been sounding the warning bells about our lack of ability to turn draws into wins for a couple of months now, so the result against Everton was neither surprising nor panic inducing. Some people on here have mentioned the Mancs and the fact they'd got most of their hard games out of the way in the first third of the season a few times. They may have got slagged off for it at the time, but now the inevitable run of wins is beginning to be racked up by Man Utd it's neither a surprise nor panic inducing. Neither is it panic inducing that they have now gone past us, as obviously if we keep drawing every week they will. No panic involved there.

One or two people ventured the opinion that to drop Keane in the immediate aftermath of both occasions this season he scored two goals, was running the risk of making him a shell of the footballer rafa paid 20 million quid for six months ago. That it appears it might be coming to pass isn't particularly shocking, and as long as Torres stays fit it doesn't induce panic either.

It's the same mentality telling people not to panic, as it was for the last three seasons bashing anybody who ventured an opinion that mass rotation from game one wasn't a good idea. They were wrong about that one. Similarly, as the games passed by last season and we began our draw fest, they told us "but we're unbeaten FFS!!" (we know) and we remained so long after the leaders had disappeared over the horizon. This season when we drew with Stoke, if you voiced displeasure at it you got jumped on "FFS we're top of the league!!!" and we were. We were but the gap was ever diminishing, the shadows of the pursuers was looming ever larger.

So is there panic? No. Because of our start we still have a chance of winning the league. To do so, from here we are probably going to have to win a very high percentage of our matches. Are we capable of that? I think we are yes. Would I put my house on it? Well no I wouldn't to be honest. Sorry if that confirms me as not a real fan and all that, but given all the probabilities, options and possibilties, I think the Mancs will probably win it. The probable gap at the end has nudged out with me to between 7-9 points.

Is it a panic to say unless our form improves we might end up in a dog fight for fourth? No it isn't, it's a statement of the obvious. My feeling is that our form will improve and that we won't get involved in that dogfight, but obviously nobody can say for sure.

Panic though? Interesting one that.

I normally need a few Pro-Plus to get thru your posts Mick, but I liked this one  :D

I wont panic if we end up coming 2nd or 3rd.

But as you pointed out - I think some people have passed through the Panic station
and are heading for "thought so" Central.

There were some right clever ar'ses taking umbridge at people's frustrations when we
were drawing all those games. But the cries of "But we're still top"! smacked of shortsightedness.

I haven't given up, but Im bunkering down and just waiting now for what I see as
an inevitable "race to be in the race".
Last edited by Effes on Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:42 pm

We've got a lot of players who've just returned or are about to return from injury. Once they're all fully match fit I think we'll see an improvement in our form which has dropped of late.

Arbeloa's just back allowing Carra to return to centre back. Agger's soon to return, Skrtel's back and he's been quality this season. Aurelio's getting match fitness back and Insua will return soon. Alonso's back - one of our players of the season and of course Torres is back and looked superb at times last night.

With our current form we'll not win the league but who says thats going to continue? A couple of good performances, victories and confidence will be back. The Chelsea match in 12 days is huge. I think everyone on the forum knows we're not favorites for the title but we still have a good chance. I'm a supporter, not a pundit or a bookie so stuff the odds. We still have a good chance and I'm going to enjoy it.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:59 pm

bigmick wrote:I'm not sure it's panic really.

Some people on here have been sounding the warning bells about our lack of ability to turn draws into wins for a couple of months now, so the result against Everton was neither surprising nor panic inducing. Some people on here have mentioned the Mancs and the fact they'd got most of their hard games out of the way in the first third of the season a few times. They may have got slagged off for it at the time, but now the inevitable run of wins is beginning to be racked up by Man Utd it's neither a surprise nor panic inducing. Neither is it panic inducing that they have now gone past us, as obviously if we keep drawing every week they will. No panic involved there.

One or two people ventured the opinion that to drop Keane in the immediate aftermath of both occasions this season he scored two goals, was running the risk of making him a shell of the footballer rafa paid 20 million quid for six months ago. That it appears it might be coming to pass isn't particularly shocking, and as long as Torres stays fit it doesn't induce panic either.

It's the same mentality telling people not to panic, as it was for the last three seasons bashing anybody who ventured an opinion that mass rotation from game one wasn't a good idea. They were wrong about that one. Similarly, as the games passed by last season and we began our draw fest, they told us "but we're unbeaten FFS!!" (we know) and we remained so long after the leaders had disappeared over the horizon. This season when we drew with Stoke, if you voiced displeasure at it you got jumped on "FFS we're top of the league!!!" and we were. We were but the gap was ever diminishing, the shadows of the pursuers was looming ever larger.

So is there panic? No. Because of our start we still have a chance of winning the league. To do so, from here we are probably going to have to win a very high percentage of our matches. Are we capable of that? I think we are yes. Would I put my house on it? Well no I wouldn't to be honest. Sorry if that confirms me as not a real fan and all that, but given all the probabilities, options and possibilties, I think the Mancs will probably win it. The probable gap at the end has nudged out with me to between 7-9 points.

Is it a panic to say unless our form improves we might end up in a dog fight for fourth? No it isn't, it's a statement of the obvious. My feeling is that our form will improve and that we won't get involved in that dogfight, but obviously nobody can say for sure.

Panic though? Interesting one that.

Top post mate :)
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:34 pm

How about a reality check perspective that we were top because the mancs were distracted elsewhere and now they've joined the race we're second and second favourites (at best)

We've been nowhere near since before the renaming of the top flight, maybe before we talked about "being in the mix" but now we're there it would be a massive let down to fall away after all we've done (so far) and let's face it we are in danger of throwing it away, drawing every other (league) game in the last TWELVE. It would be an even bigger let down if we gave it away more than made the mancs excel, if we'd won half those games we've drawn we'd be six points clear.

Are we to sit here and calmly accept were punching above our weight when we're not and keep on burying our heads in the sand, making out it's acceptable to fall away badly when it's not? We could turn it around, but we'd need to improve on the form we showed early season to do it and even then we weren't playing well most of the time. We did just about enough to be up near the top - or top - but not a lot more. Has there been a run of games where we've been in good form or is it more just the odd game here and there - and even then mostly against the dross of the Premiership?

We may not get a better chance, sooner of later Citeh will throw enough cash around that they may just pose a threat. Chelsea surely can't remain in their relative slump and the mancs will be a constant threat. And what happens if Arsenal's kids start delivering regularly? And villa's £30m rated (albeit by a leprechaun) continue their luck-filled streak or become a good side? So no good saying "we've done well" and not looking to improve. Isn't improvement the objective, improve until you can improve no more? There is room for improvement and we know the team can play better so none of this ballacks trying to make the situation seem less bad. It ain't good enough, it ain't been good enough for near 20 years and there should be no relenting just because the team's done ok or better. League lasts 38 games, let's see some improvements from manager and players and make the mancs work for the title. We sit here creating threads about how we're doing well while the mancs grind out results and may simply WALK the Premiership while we sit here patting our players on the back for a decent but maybe ultimately wasted effort
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby we all dream... » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:35 pm

Owzat wrote:How about a reality check perspective that we were top because the mancs were distracted elsewhere and now they've joined the race we're second and second favourites (at best)

We've been nowhere near since before the renaming of the top flight, maybe before we talked about "being in the mix" but now we're there it would be a massive let down to fall away after all we've done (so far) and let's face it we are in danger of throwing it away, drawing every other (league) game in the last TWELVE. It would be an even bigger let down if we gave it away more than made the mancs excel, if we'd won half those games we've drawn we'd be six points clear.

Are we to sit here and calmly accept were punching above our weight when we're not and keep on burying our heads in the sand, making out it's acceptable to fall away badly when it's not? We could turn it around, but we'd need to improve on the form we showed early season to do it and even then we weren't playing well most of the time. We did just about enough to be up near the top - or top - but not a lot more. Has there been a run of games where we've been in good form or is it more just the odd game here and there - and even then mostly against the dross of the Premiership?

We may not get a better chance, sooner of later Citeh will throw enough cash around that they may just pose a threat. Chelsea surely can't remain in their relative slump and the mancs will be a constant threat. And what happens if Arsenal's kids start delivering regularly? And villa's £30m rated (albeit by a leprechaun) continue their luck-filled streak or become a good side? So no good saying "we've done well" and not looking to improve. Isn't improvement the objective, improve until you can improve no more? There is room for improvement and we know the team can play better so none of this ballacks trying to make the situation seem less bad. It ain't good enough, it ain't been good enough for near 20 years and there should be no relenting just because the team's done ok or better. League lasts 38 games, let's see some improvements from manager and players and make the mancs work for the title. We sit here creating threads about how we're doing well while the mancs grind out results and may simply WALK the Premiership while we sit here patting our players on the back for a decent but maybe ultimately wasted effort

Exactly.

But that doesn't me we should panic like many people are. I have my concerns, as much as most LFC fans and share the same sentiments that you do but, we are not in that bad of shape and hopefully we will start playing better and push united all the way. That will have been an improvement on the last 18 years. So no need to panic. The panic will set in if in a months time were 4th and looking over our shoulders.

At the moment we need to 'critique, discuss and encourage' not 'panic, bad mouth and despair'

disclaimer: I am not saying you are doing the latter.  :D
we all dream...
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:09 am

Leonmc0708 wrote:
Liverpool are second only on goal difference to Manchester United, although they now have a game in hand, and, while this may have felt like a defeat, it is very far from a disaster for Liverpool. A disaster would be, as Benitez readily points out, if they had reached the mid-point in January out of touch with the title race and eliminated from the Champions League. In many respects Benitez's team are in great shape but, as all champions must, they have not yet demonstrated that they are capable of overcoming each and every obstacle.

Every season since I have been on football forums, Liverpool fans have wanted one thing. Not a new car or a new striker or the elusive right wonger. Just " to be in with a sniff at the turn of the year. "

Well guess what, this season we are.

Not only that, but even without our best striker in the last five years, withstanding the contract problems of the manager and some key players, in the face of the poor form we have shownw in the last month or so. In spite of the fact that we have drawn five league games at home, and regardless of the fact that United and Chelsea are so so superior to us on and off the park (according to some on here) AND even though our biggest signing of the summer has belly flopped.

We are level on points with United.

We are within a goal or two of the goal difference figures of our most apparent competitor.

We have only lost one league game all season.

DONT PANIC !

A penny for your thoughts............
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Penguins » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:17 am

7 draws in 10 games or 4 wins and 6 losses in 10 games!

REST MY CASE!
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:38 pm

Penguins wrote:7 draws in 10 games or 4 wins and 6 losses in 10 games!

REST MY CASE!

On paper the wins, but losing 6 in a ten game run will more than likely NOT mean that you draw the other four.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion