Raffa - gerrard division - Who do we owe thanks to ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ben Patrick » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:25 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:Au contraire, mon ami....
What should be happening, especially in the crisis we are in, is that the Captain is kicking seven shades of shyte out of the underperformers out there. We want him leading by example. We want him to grab the lads - before Rafa strolls onto the training ground, or after Rafa has left the stadium - and telling his colleagues what's what. That's what a leader of men does.
Look at Roy Keane a few years back, roasting his teammates for underperforming and demanding they cop themselves on. Stuart Pearce way back in the 90's. Batty during his time at Leeds. Vieira leading by example for the Gooners....
We don't have one o' them....sadly...

Not sure whether you read my post but i am agreeing that he isnt great as a skipper when it comes to geeing up the team  like Keane.
But we have Carragher doing that anyway so i am not sure it should even be an issue, doesnt matter to me, Carra is vice captain and is captain often enough.
To me its just a title and as long as there are leaders in the side then thats all that matters.

I would rather have a stevie G than a Keane, a vieira or batty though any day of the week.
The others might be fist pumping players that get their teams going.
But they didnt have the allround ability of stevie G, no way.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Emerald Red » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:07 pm

Ben Patrick wrote:I would rather have a stevie G than a Keane, a vieira or batty though any day of the week.

Maybe not. But are those players better captains? Keane would be by a country mile; Viera, not so sure, but probably. It's easy to say Steve inspires by his game, but he can also intimidate with it. Players like Keane and Viera also lifted their side with performances also, it has to be said. There's a lack of showing good intent with Gerrard on the pitch at times, where he'll often flick his heels back and lift his head in the air when a pass isn't made as he would have liked it. Maybe a thumbs up, or a hand clap for the intent would be better so that the same player would attempt the same pass to him again during the game without worrying about feeling like a d*ck if he f*cks it up?
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Zidane » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:17 pm

If someone gave us good money for him I'd sell, I love what he's given us but he's too injury prone lately, it's getting late in his career and I just don't rate him as a captain like many others.  He doesn't take on the responsibility of it imo.  The last thing we need is the captain of all people feeling as if the squad and players just aren't good enough etc etc.  Maybe that is the case maybe it isn't but you don't act like it is if you're the captain.  He's still too selfish and nothing anyone ever says will convince me otherwise sorry lads.
Zidane

Postby Ben Patrick » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:21 pm

Emerald Red wrote:
Ben Patrick wrote:I would rather have a stevie G than a Keane, a vieira or batty though any day of the week.

Maybe not. But are those players better captains? Keane would be by a country mile; Viera, not so sure, but probably. It's easy to say Steve inspires by his game, but he can also intimidate with it. Players like Keane and Viera also lifted their side with performances also, it has to be said. There's a lack of showing good intent with Gerrard on the pitch at times, where he'll often flick his heels back and lift his head in the air when a pass isn't made as he would have liked it. Maybe a thumbs up, or a hand clap for the intent would be better so that the same player would attempt the same pass to him again during the game without worrying about feeling like a d*ck if he f*cks it up?

Why did you cut out the part of my post that stated he wasnt a good captain and then ask me if i thought he was as good a captain as someone like keane who was a fantastic skipper  ???  ???  ???  ???  :laugh:
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Emerald Red » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:53 pm

Ben Patrick wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:

Why did you cut out the part of my post that stated he wasnt a good captain and then ask me if i thought he was as good a captain as someone like keane who was a fantastic skipper  ???  ???  ???  ???  :laugh:

Dunno. Wasn't highlighting that paragraph as a case in point that I thought you made a bad point or post or anything. Just wanted to make a post about that particular point myself.

Edit - f*ckin hell, this post here sounds like a parody of itself. Too many "points" and "posts".
Last edited by Emerald Red on Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:11 pm

Emerald Red wrote:Dunno. Wasn't highlighting that paragraph as a case in point that I thought you made a bad point or post or anything. Just wanted to make a post about that particular point myself.

Edit - f*ckin hell, this post here sounds like a parody of itself. Too many "points" and "posts".

So you made a post to make a point about Bens point that he posted as a case in point about posts although you thought Bens post made the point quite well before you posted to make your point?  :D
account deleted by request

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:24 pm

I doubt there is anything in these rumours, suffice to say re. Gerrard's commitment/value, I agree mostly with Ben on this one. 

I'd just add that there are ways of airing your grievances to the manager (and vice versa) and that any divisiveness is not welcome. So, if Gerrard - or any other player for that matter - behaved out of order or had a 'bust up' with one of the management team then that player needs to sort themselves out. It doesn't matter how bad our results are, we can't allow that kind of mindest to fester.

Kind of like how you should always try and PM a mod to avoid kicking the sh!t on the open forum....
LFC2007

Postby stmichael » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:17 pm

where did these rumours that gerrard had been "suspended" come from anyway?

nobody who has been suspended would have been allowed to travel to stoke as he did at the weekend.

load of cr@p.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Emerald Red » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:47 pm

s@int wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:Dunno. Wasn't highlighting that paragraph as a case in point that I thought you made a bad point or post or anything. Just wanted to make a post about that particular point myself.

So you made a post to make a point about Bens point that he posted as a case in point about posts although you thought Bens post made the point quite well before you posted to make your point?  :D

That would be correct...after reading that about five times to get your point, yes.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:03 pm

stmichael wrote:where did these rumours that gerrard had been "suspended" come from anyway?

nobody who has been suspended would have been allowed to travel to stoke as he did at the weekend.

load of cr@p.

Got this of ciggy on another forum . Hope that's ok lynds.

This rumour originated from here 6 pager http://www.bluekipper.net/index.php?showtopic=42072
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Waldo » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:09 pm

Apparently the press were circling like vultures this afternon awaiting a statement from LFC that Rafa was leaving. Obviously it didn't happen.
Waldo
LFC Super Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:12 pm

I can't see that Bluekipper like - what's it about ?
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Igor Zidane » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:17 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:I can't see that Bluekipper like - what's it about ?

You have to have a log in mate . I haven't .maybe someone has.
UP THE PURPS !!!
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:27 am

Ben Patrick wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:He is Captain of this club. That is what he's supposed to do. Jesus wept....

tell ye what lad when he's gone we will know about it.

All this b'llocks about the team can cope without him, people trotting out stuff like...well he never played when we beat united at home last season so we are fine.

Yeah lets just dismiss everything he does for the rest of the season because we have got some decent results when he has been injured.

I havent seen any other captains doing what stevie did against west ham in that final.
I havent seen any others doing what he did with that goal against olympiakos and then a second half performance like the one in istanbul.
He will go down as one of the top 3 players to every play for this club.
A midfielder that can do everything.

We are blessed to have him, and going back to what this thread is actually about - i dont feel we are particulaly blessed to have our manager.

I dont think anyone is playing down his ability mate its more his attitude at times and off field antics that bring criticism.
hen we have needed him to be a great player in the past he hasnt failed but at times, like now when we need him to also be a great captain he can come up short.
He didnt get the armband for his leadership he got it because he was our best player, a local lad and probably more importantly to keep him happy and playing well.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:19 am

Gerrard: 'Bust-up rumours are rubbish'

Published 23:00 19/01/10 By David Maddock

Steven Gerrard has dismissed as "fantasy" the wild rumours that he will quit Liverpool after a bust-up with boss Rafa Benitez.

And the Anfield captain instead maintains that he remains totally committed to the club.

Both manager and skipper are dismayed by the persistent speculation - that was first aired on a national radio show - which claims the player had a furious row in the dressing room at half-time during the defeat by Reading in the FA Cup last week.

The rumours claimed that Gerrard had a showdown with Benitez and coach Mauricio Pellegrino, and vowed that he would never play for Liverpool again.

But last night, the England midfielder firmly set the record straight. “I've heard about a dozen versions of the same rumour and they're all as daft as each other,"Gerrard explained.

"I'd love to know who comes up with this kind of stuff because they must have an unbelievable imagination. Nothing happened, that's an absolute fact.

"And if anyone thinks this nonsense unsettles either me or the club then they're mistaken. If anything it's brought everyone even closer together because we've all had a good laugh about it.

"In the time since he's been here I've never had a problem with the manager or his staff, and certainly not at half-time in the Reading game when I was actually receiving treatment for the injury I'd picked up during the first half," he added.

"The important thing for me now is trying to get myself fit as soon as possible so I can get back to working with the manager and the team to try and improve our situation.

"All the stories about me leaving are unfounded. The fans can be assured that I am doing all I can to get back to top form and help Liverpool finish the season on a high."

Benitez too, explained that he and his skipper were laughing about the 'stupid' rumours yesterday, with the manager refusing to give them credence.

Instead he revealed that he is concentrating on turning Liverpool's season around, and finding a striker in the current transfer window, to cover for the injured Fernando Torres.

The Reds boss has made a concerted attempt to bring Kenwyne Jones in on loan but, with his club Sunderland ready to discuss only a permanent transfer, he has gone cold on the striker.

Benitez sees Jones as a stop-gap, and is reluctant to spend the £10million Sunderland are asking on a forward who may only be a squad player.

Standard Liege striker Milan Jovanonic is a free agent in the summer and could be bought for a nominal fee, and Benitez has made several enquiries about the Serbian.
    http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Li ... -rubbish-a
rticle293603.html
UP THE PURPS !!!
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion