Raffa's system - Zone

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kazza » Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:02 pm

I think Raffa is a cleaver football brain and we should trust his judgement in the systems that he employs (both Zone Defence and/or 4-4-1-1 for example).

I read many posts stating that these systems do not work and should be changed, but I don't think that we have seen these systems played properly by the players and therfore we should wait to see these systems mastered by the players, and then we can make a proper judgement.

It may or may not work, who knows, but I trust Raffa's opinion. The point is the players will understand it with repetition, and then we may find out it is unbeatable.

Let's hope they start on Sunday...
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ckay » Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:34 pm

The system is good but if we can't play it them is not for us.
If we get to the point were we conceed 10 goals from it we should change it but it does need time to perfect it.

Rafa played both systems at Valencia and after a shakey start it payed off playing zone!!!
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RobG14 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:59 pm

Zonal marking works but you need that right players to adopt this approach and we quite simply do not have the right players. Players with half a brain like hypia (good defender but short on pace and intelligence), riise and finnan will never be able to grasp this approach and once rafa has brought in the right players for the job you will start to see it pay off.
RobG14

Postby ckay » Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:03 pm

RobG14 wrote:Zonal marking works but you need that right players to adopt this approach and we quite simply do not have the right players. Players with half a brain like hypia (good defender but short on pace and intelligence), riise and finnan will never be able to grasp this approach and once rafa has brought in the right players for the job you will start to see it pay off.

Do you think he'll spend in january then mate?
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RobG14 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:12 pm

Hopefully! we need to bring in a top class defender like ayala or ivan cordoba and maybe a left back to put riise under some pressure because with djimi traore as back up his position is safe. Players like riise, hyypia and finnan have played well this year against the lesser oposition but when they have come up against better oposition they have looked out of their depth (eg riise vs ronaldo).

I just feel that hyypia is now too old and we need a world class defender to play alongside carragher
RobG14

Postby stmichael » Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:14 pm

RobG14 wrote:I just feel that hyypia is now too old and we need a world class defender to play alongside carragher

b#llocks
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ckay » Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:15 pm

stmichael wrote:
RobG14 wrote:I just feel that hyypia is now too old and we need a world class defender to play alongside carragher

b#llocks

Harsh words mate. what do you want to happen.
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:02 pm

RobG14 wrote:Hopefully! we need to bring in a top class defender like ayala or ivan cordoba and maybe a left back to put riise under some pressure because with djimi traore as back up his position is safe. Players like riise, hyypia and finnan have played well this year against the lesser oposition but when they have come up against better oposition they have looked out of their depth (eg riise vs ronaldo).

I just feel that hyypia is now too old and we need a world class defender to play alongside carragher

Agreed. Hyypia has done his duty here. His shortcomings are too much of a liability against top teams.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby The_Rock » Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:34 pm

I can see why he is so adamant on playing zonal system as by doing this, it is very systematic. (ie...easier for newer players to gel in)
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:36 pm

Communication is the key
We just arent doing that well enough
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:39 pm

banana wrote:
RobG14 wrote:Hopefully! we need to bring in a top class defender like ayala or ivan cordoba and maybe a left back to put riise under some pressure because with djimi traore as back up his position is safe. Players like riise, hyypia and finnan have played well this year against the lesser oposition but when they have come up against better oposition they have looked out of their depth (eg riise vs ronaldo).

Agreed. Hyypia has done his duty here. His shortcomings are too much of a liability against top teams.

I think for hyppia or carra to play really well, they need someone to compliment them (ie...someone with more pace). Even by playing 4-4-1-1 (which is quiet defensive), our defence is still not up to mark.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:48 pm

when i first read this topic title i thought it was about rafa's bowel problems. :D  :D  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby kindaconfused » Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:28 pm

Taf

You say communication is what its about but is that on the pitch between the players or from the side line and before, during or after the game.

The reason I say this is because i dont know why Raf couldnt get his point across during the game in Athens as the disorder continued.

OK I thought he will sort it at half time but 2nd half no difference until there was 10 minutes to go.
Bribery in football helps oil the wheels, the managers take it and the fans pay for it!
Kindaconfuzed and Biffa are not allowed to post.
Biffa is me mate!
Free Dom in the Forum
kindaconfused
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:19 pm

I don't see major problems defending from open play (Houllier teams often marked space instead of the man) although like most i would like to see us buy a centre-half with more pace. The problems have come at set-pieces where zonal marking has been preferred to the usual man for man. I don't like this sytem for a couple of reasons - 1. With good movement and late runs it is possible to flood a zone leaving the attacking team a man over - 2. It's not possible to block the runs of would be attackers if your back four are all stood 2 foot from the line.

I assume Rafa used the same system to success in Valencia but is it worth the teething problems our lads are going through? I don't think so.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 72-1090627431 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:29 pm

kazza wrote:I think Raffa is a cleaver football brain and we should trust his judgement in the systems that he employs (both Zone Defence and/or 4-4-1-1 for example).

I read many posts stating that these systems do not work and should be changed, but I don't think that we have seen these systems played properly by the players and therfore we should wait to see these systems mastered by the players, and then we can make a proper judgement.

It may or may not work, who knows, but I trust Raffa's opinion. The point is the players will understand it with repetition, and then we may find out it is unbeatable.

Let's hope they start on Sunday...

I watched the Olympiacos game , where you could see they were zonal marking etc, but that meant leaving players free to attack you, as your not marking players but an area.

He may have done well with that at Valencia, but its an incredibly risky game to play, even Ex liverpools Jim Beglin Commentating said He'd rather be marking a player. Olympiacos had free players all the time.
and a few chances with free players.
72-1090627431

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion