Our players in the world cup - Tracking how our players are faring

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby azriahmad » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:11 pm

Gerrard scored with a left foot shot when running in and turning past a defender to set-up a leftie shot, he caould do much better with his right foot belters. Lampard had some 7-8 shots at goal, all missed, even one being well clear inside the box after Crouch laid off to him, yet he still missed and shot straight to Hislop.

Gerrard scored a goal in a manner he does a lot for Liverpool, in a one of a very rare forage forward in the game as he had to abide with the defensive dutiesSven assigned to him. The point I'm being so long winded about is that Sven should ditch Lampard and play Gerrard in his favoured role for Liverpool, let him be free behind the main 2 strikers and let Carrick or Sven's favourite "Plan B midfielder" Hargreaves to mop up as the defensive midfielder. Only then, can Gerrard's full potential be reaped as Liverpool had time and again experienced, especially in big matches.

This tactical ineptness is the main reason why England will never win a major tournament under Ericsson despite having arguably the best group of players ever. This team has the potential to really achieve, all they need is a tactically competent coach - Hitzfeld, Hiddink, Scolari (dubbed as a destroyer of beautiful football but he is tactically much better than Sven) and of course, Benitez. Sven is an overpaid clueless git. The FA are going down the same route with McLaren. What a waste...
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:25 pm

Until he was allowed to get on the edge of the T&T box late on, Gerrard was wasted today. Lampard is being indulged far too much by Eriksson for my liking. He should have had two today, and had Gerrard been given the license to get into those sort of positions, he'd have ended the game with a hat-trick.

If I was Eriksson, I'd drop Lampard and bring in Carrick, and give Gerrard free reign between midfield and attack. By playing him as the midfield anchor, Sven is taking away arguably England's greatest attacking threat. Fine, Lampard's putting himself in positions to score, but he's also being incredibly selfish. I've lost count of the number of long range shots he's fired high and wide when we've had players in far better positions just aching for a simple pass.

Crouch should keep his place, and I think Sven got the subs right today - apart from the touch and dink into Lampard in the first half which Frank blazed over, and the header wide, Owen was anonymous again today. He looks a shadow of the player he was before the injury.
ivor_the_injun

Postby Anfield Kop » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:36 pm

Liverpool 2 Trinidad & Tobago 0
" You'll Never Walk Alone "
Anfield Kop
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:53 pm

If the Sewdws fail to beat Paraguay, England's lead in the Group would be unassailable. Sven should then let Walcott, Carrick and several others have a game, otherwise, why bring Walcott into the squad when he does not have the guts to play him?

As Walcott is untested at the EPL level, Sven should have brought Bent or Defoe and perhaps Scott Parker in place of either Carrick or Hargreaves, because all of the squad members, first team or reserve, must have the temperment and known ability to perform when required, especially in the latter knock-out rounds when changes are needed if Plan A or Plan B fails.

This inept squad selection shows Sven's very glaring shortcoming to become a true top coach and a winner.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:43 pm

0asis wrote:Lampard does nothing, he's brings nothing to the table. He scored twenty odd goals for Chelsea in recent seasons, so what? I or you could do that with Makelele and Essien doing all the donkey work for us.

I hope you're having a laugh because if you wrote this drivel in all seriousness, you are delusional!  :p

Intelligent criticism is one thing but this over the top hyperbole that utterly diminishes any remotely sensical points you might care to make regarding Lampard and the English team.  Get a clue, lad!   :D

Oasis wrote:Ferdinand has dropped in standard over the last three years, he was one player who I thought had a superb World Cup 2002, but where is that form? It's lost, it's not there and I don't think it will be there in this World Cup.

On Ferdinand, the lad did not put a foot wrong today and so I'm curious just what you expect out of him?

Oasis wrote:And then make excuses like "it's too hot" well do you hear the Africans moan when they have to play in the cold, harsh British winters?

As for the heat, don't kid yourself...it's a factor (just ask the Ukraine).  You may not like it as an excuse and it doesn't account for all of England's problems but Carra, for one, was utterly spent before the hour mark today and he's got the stamina of a thoroughbred.  Consider that before you suit up to do Lampard's 'simple' job for him!  :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:55 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
0asis wrote:Lampard does nothing, he's brings nothing to the table. He scored twenty odd goals for Chelsea in recent seasons, so what? I or you could do that with Makelele and Essien doing all the donkey work for us.

I hope you're having a laugh because if you wrote this drivel in all seriousness, you are delusional!  :p

Intelligent criticism is one thing but this over the top hyperbole that utterly diminishes any remotely sensical points you might care to make regarding Lampard and the English team.  Get a clue, lad!   :D

Oasis wrote:Ferdinand has dropped in standard over the last three years, he was one player who I thought had a superb World Cup 2002, but where is that form? It's lost, it's not there and I don't think it will be there in this World Cup.

On Ferdinand, the lad did not put a foot wrong today and so I'm curious just what you expect out of him?

Oasis wrote:And then make excuses like "it's too hot" well do you hear the Africans moan when they have to play in the cold, harsh British winters?

As for the heat, don't kid yourself...it's a factor (just ask the Ukraine).  You may not like it as an excuse and it doesn't account for all of England's problems but Carra, for one, was utterly spent before the hour mark today and he's got the stamina of a thoroughbred.  Consider that before you suit up to do Lampard's 'simple' job for him!  :D

But you have to admit that Ferdinand is a w*nker, and Fat Frank couldn't hit a cow's ar*e with a banjo, despite being as wide as an ocean liner!!!!  :D

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:26 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:But you have to admit that Ferdinand is a w*nker, and Fat Frank couldn't hit a cow's ar*e with a banjo, despite being as wide as an ocean liner!!!!  :D

Too right Ferdinand's a w.anker...despise the sight of him!  :D   But credit where credit's due, he didn't put a foot wrong today.

As for FF...he had a shocker and I just wanted to slap that spoilt child expression off his fookin' face today...especially his whinging after getting carded--you fucking tripped the guy, you idjit, of course, you're going in the book!  But, unlike our mate Oasis, here, I don't think that he's so cack as to be unworthy of selection for England.  As I say, there's fair comment and then there's OTT rubbish...
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:41 am

Bad Bob wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:But you have to admit that Ferdinand is a w*nker, and Fat Frank couldn't hit a cow's ar*e with a banjo, despite being as wide as an ocean liner!!!!  :D

Too right Ferdinand's a w.anker...despise the sight of him!  :D   But credit where credit's due, he didn't put a foot wrong today.

As for FF...he had a shocker and I just wanted to slap that spoilt child expression off his fookin' face today...especially his whinging after getting carded--you fucking tripped the guy, you idjit, of course, you're going in the book!  But, unlike our mate Oasis, here, I don't think that he's so cack as to be unworthy of selection for England.  As I say, there's fair comment and then there's OTT rubbish...

That's alright then!

I thought I might have to kill you!  :D  :pirate  :D

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby whylongball? » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:57 am

azriahmad wrote:Gerrard scored with a left foot shot when running in and turning past a defender to set-up a leftie shot, he caould do much better with his right foot belters. Lampard had some 7-8 shots at goal, all missed, even one being well clear inside the box after Crouch laid off to him, yet he still missed and shot straight to Hislop.

Gerrard scored a goal in a manner he does a lot for Liverpool, in a one of a very rare forage forward in the game as he had to abide with the defensive dutiesSven assigned to him. The point I'm being so long winded about is that Sven should ditch Lampard and play Gerrard in his favoured role for Liverpool, let him be free behind the main 2 strikers and let Carrick or Sven's favourite "Plan B midfielder" Hargreaves to mop up as the defensive midfielder. Only then, can Gerrard's full potential be reaped as Liverpool had time and again experienced, especially in big matches.

This tactical ineptness is the main reason why England will never win a major tournament under Ericsson despite having arguably the best group of players ever. This team has the potential to really achieve, all they need is a tactically competent coach - Hitzfeld, Hiddink, Scolari (dubbed as a destroyer of beautiful football but he is tactically much better than Sven) and of course, Benitez. Sven is an overpaid clueless git. The FA are going down the same route with McLaren. What a waste...

Well said! I was about to write the same thing Azriahmad...very frustrating to watch england at times. Fowler was very correct about Sven in his recent article  :no
whylongball?

Postby ivor_the_injun » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:08 am

On the Frank front, I think he'd be indispensable to England if we didn't have Gerrard. When you do have Stevie available though, it's no contest. He's twice the player Lampard is.

Unfortunately, Sven insists on building the midfield around Frank, so Stevie's been kept on the leash in an England shirt for years now. Every time I see Lampard in and around the box, I can't help but think how much better a job Gerrard would do in those positions. Today was a case in point - the two big chances Frank had from 6 yards out, he fluffed horribly. Gerrard would've put both away with a minimum of fuss. And Frank's selfishness is getting seriously annoying too. First half today: at one point we had five players forward, and Frank had the ball in the middle, advancing forward. Owen had peeled off his marker, and was on, and Beckham was free just outside the box on the right begging for a simple ball. But oh no - Frank had to have a f*cking shot. Of all the options available to him, he went for the stupidest.

It sums the guy up completely for me. I admire the guy's confidence from those distances out, but if I was in the team with him I'd throttle the f*cker. :D
ivor_the_injun

Postby ivor_the_injun » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:14 am

Bad Bob wrote:

Agree with Stu on Rio today. I've been critical of the guy, but today he was very impressive. Solid as a rock.

Would be interested on his take on Terry's performance though. Obviously we're not talking about the world's greatest strikers giving him a workout, but I thought he was excellent. The goal-line clearance was the obvious highlight, but on a number of occasions he snuffed out promising T&T attacks, even when he was struggling to match them for pace.
ivor_the_injun

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:01 am

On the Frank front, I think he'd be indispensable to England if we didn't have Gerrard. When you do have Stevie available though, it's no contest. He's twice the player Lampard is.

Great comment. Fat Frank is a very good midfielder, he just cant play in same midfield as Gerrard. When Gerrard is injured,needs a rest or is suspended Fat Frank would make an ideal substitute for him but they should never play together as this ruins Gerrards game. Its time Sven got some balls and dropped Fat Frank and brought in a holding midfield player who would be better suited to Gerrards game. I dont agree with the people who say Fat Frank is cr*p etc. he is a good player (just not as good as Gerrard)  who should only play for England when Gerrard cant.
account deleted by request

Postby cptrios » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:40 am

In my mind Fat Frank look liked the Coach's Son out there today - cocky, selfish, spoiled, and about two rungs below everyone else on the talent ladder. My friends and I all took a shot whenever he had a retarded SOT :D
cptrios

Postby anfieldadorer » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:03 am

probably too early but can't help wondering should anyone still wants owen ahead of crouchie after the match... :cool:
Last edited by anfieldadorer on Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:52 am

anfieldadorer wrote:probably too early but can't help wondering should anyone still wants owen ahead of crouchie after the match... :cool:

I think I understand your post....

I would have Owen (with Rooney) instead of Crouch if it meant we stopped playing the long ball.
I England would be much better playing it through the middle more. Not all the time but at least England wouldn't be so predictable.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion