World class players

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kopite_1232002 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:12 pm

just reading this

http://soccervoice.com/n070668.htm

and was thinkin to my self what is a world class players point of veiw when it comes to liverpool football club
By world class i mean the likes of eto tevez henry

Do they class us on the same level as man utd chelsea or do they class us as just that team that finishes top 5 year in year out like Valencia,

when the players learn that they have been linked to the club do they think wow thats a massive club or its just liverpool

we should have the wow factor when it comes to attracting big players, they should be crying out to play for us we have been in 2 european finals in the last 3 years YET we struggle to sign the big boys.

just want to no were its going wrong

Your thoughts
kopite_1232002

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:25 pm

Here's the actual "article" you've linked:

-------
Soccervoice - Newslines - 25.06.2007
Nothing happens at Liverpool
Lots of players are linked with Liverpool, but so far no one has been signed. Rafeal Benitez chases the big names, but so far no new arrivals at Anfield.

Fernando Torres, Samuel Eto'o, Darren Bent and Carlos Tevez are all names mentioned as possible targets for Benitez, but none of them fancies a move to Liverpool.

Manchester United and Chelsea are the clubs that atracts the big names of Europe, not Liverpool.
--------

So when exactly did Darren Bent become world class? :laugh:

Seriously, this is opinion based on nothing more than jumping to conclusions asa result of a lack of transfer activity so far.  It's not as though any of these players have come out and said: "Liverpool?  Not a chance, mate.  Don't fancy 'em."

Just out of curiosity, how many world class players have the Mancs signed in recent years?  They've obviously paid top, top dollar to sign some first-rate, young English talent (Ferdinand and Rooney) in recent years but not since Veron, I don't think, have they attracted a recognized world class player from abroad.  They're route has been to splash out on the exciting prospects (eg. Ronaldo) rather than the established talents and give them time to come good.  Chelsea, on the other hand, has been able to attract established world class talent but in their case it's all about the money.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:27 pm

I'm struggling to think of any 'World Class' player that has turned us down in the past few years TBH with you. The only player that I can think of that has turned down a move to Liverpool is Figo, who was well past his best days and couldn't really be classed as still being world class.

Most of the occassions were we've gone in for this type of player we've been unable to agree a fee with the players club or have just outright baulked at the huge fee.
Liverpool have more of a tradition of buying good quality prospects and mouldingnthem into world class players, like Barnes, Rush & Gerrard to name just 3.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:39 pm

We never bought Gerrard and I think that our main problem lately has being buying upcoming talents who turn out shite!!

We need to start buying some proven quality
Last edited by Dundalk on Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:45 pm

kopite_1232002 wrote:just reading this

and was thinkin to my self what is a world class players point of veiw when it comes to liverpool football club

Do they class us on the same level as man utd chelsea or do they class us as just that team that finishes top 5 year in year out like Valencia,

when the players learn that they have been linked to the club do they think wow thats a massive club or its just liverpool

we should have the wow factor when it comes to attracting big players, they should be crying out to play for us we have been in 2 european finals in the last 3 years YET we struggle to sign the big boys.

Your thoughts

We haven't been able to afford the top-dollar paid for World Class talent in recent years. Now, according to the new owners, we can, but that does not mean we HAVE to go out and sign these players.

Eto'o has stated he wants to stay in Barcelona, David Villa has, I believe, just signed a new contract, and Tevez is not yet World Class, despite his World-class valuation.

I get the feeling that certain people want this club ripped off, but I personally don't think that will ever happen under Rafa.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:47 pm

Dundalk wrote:We never bought Gerrard and I think that our main problem lately has being buying upcoming talents who turn out shite!!

We need to start buying some proven quality

Totally forgot I was givin bought examples of world class players  :blush: .

Agreed that the time has come to stop concentrating on this building for the future crap. We've been doing that for 10 years now and in the case of some of those early examples the future has com and gone.
I wouldn't stop buying these young prospects as you've always gotta be thinkin ahead but it has to be balanced properly now. If getting a quality proven player now means that we may not be able to afford that youngster then take the proven player.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:45 pm

If we had no pulling power, Gerrard and Carragher would not have signed on for another 5 years. Owen would not be, apparently, desperate to come back to us. Tevez would not have been "excited" about the prospect of playing for us, and the same goes for Eto'o.

I think everyone's getting a bit desperate. Just because Man Utd went out and spent £50m before batting a summer break eyelid, not many other clubs have gone over the top. Italy is pretty quiet at the moment and that includes Juve, Milan, Inter and the rest. madrid haven't signed anyone either. The only clubs in the top of Europe's elite leagues that have really done anything are Man Utd, Bayern Munich and Barcalona. Even Chelsea are yet to open their purse.

I don't know what people want some times. If we wait and try to get a good deal, we're dilly-dallying. If we rush it, we're being too risky. Most club/player/club negotiations take at least 2 weeks, and that's not counting preliminary enquiries, work permits and all the rest of it. For the top players, this can be even longer. Either you get it right, or you get it wrong, and wrong falls into 2 catagories: rushed and lethargy. Man Utd payed about £25million over the odds for their 3 players, and Bayern are in the same boat. They got snatchy because they were scared by Chelsea and they broke themselves early.

And the thing about World Class players, is that they don't always outplay players who are merely deemed Premiership class. Look at Shevchenko, Veron, Crespo, Morientes and a few others. They have often been played off of the field by players that the casual fan would not think fit to clean these superstar's boots. But they were all "world class", right? Although I think the world of players like Messi, Kaka and Ronaldinho, it takes a certain type f player to stomach a wednesday night league cup match in a windswept Bolton or a rainy Portsmouth. Half of the time they would just get kicked off the field. The skill would be there, the flair, the tricks and the class would all still be there, but could they handle the grey clouds, the rain, the toothless English centre-halves or the demands of two domestic cup competitions? Some will, but there will be a few that won't.

That's why it is important to get the right players. They don't have to be World Class, that's for their International managers to care about, but they have to be Premiership class. We don't have £32million to spend on Shevchenko who will only give us ten goals (and most of those against lower league oppo). We were worried about spending £9million on Kuyt! Our Yankee-doodle-sugar-daddies may have more than Moores but they aren't idiots. And neither is Rafa. Rumour has it that he could of had Aimar, but chose Luis Garcia, which might look like a bad move. Would Aimar have scored against Juve and Chelsea? There was a similar rumour that Zenden was chosen over Jaoquin, not just because he was free, but also because he didn't believe in the Spaniard's chances of adapting to the Premiership in time. So give Rafa some time and stop panicing. He'll get us the RIGHT players. And that's the important thing.

In short, we can attract top class (2 champion's league finals in 3 years!!!), we have class and we have cash. But these things take time. I'd rather miss out on a couple of big name risks, if it means we can get some overall improvement in the squad. But we will get some top class this summer. So read a book, take a break, sing a song or do whatever it takes to take your mind off of this whole thing. When was the last time you heard of an impatient Jedi? Eh?
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:58 pm

The Ace1983 wrote:If we had no pulling power, Gerrard and Carragher would not have signed on for another 5 years. Owen would not be, apparently, desperate to come back to us. Tevez would not have been "excited" about the prospect of playing for us, and the same goes for Eto'o.

I think everyone's getting a bit desperate. Just because Man Utd went out and spent £50m before batting a summer break eyelid, not many other clubs have gone over the top. Italy is pretty quiet at the moment and that includes Juve, Milan, Inter and the rest. madrid haven't signed anyone either. The only clubs in the top of Europe's elite leagues that have really done anything are Man Utd, Bayern Munich and Barcalona. Even Chelsea are yet to open their purse.

I don't know what people want some times. If we wait and try to get a good deal, we're dilly-dallying. If we rush it, we're being too risky. Most club/player/club negotiations take at least 2 weeks, and that's not counting preliminary enquiries, work permits and all the rest of it. For the top players, this can be even longer. Either you get it right, or you get it wrong, and wrong falls into 2 catagories: rushed and lethargy. Man Utd payed about £25million over the odds for their 3 players, and Bayern are in the same boat. They got snatchy because they were scared by Chelsea and they broke themselves early.

And the thing about World Class players, is that they don't always outplay players who are merely deemed Premiership class. Look at Shevchenko, Veron, Crespo, Morientes and a few others. They have often been played off of the field by players that the casual fan would not think fit to clean these superstar's boots. But they were all "world class", right? Although I think the world of players like Messi, Kaka and Ronaldinho, it takes a certain type f player to stomach a wednesday night league cup match in a windswept Bolton or a rainy Portsmouth. Half of the time they would just get kicked off the field. The skill would be there, the flair, the tricks and the class would all still be there, but could they handle the grey clouds, the rain, the toothless English centre-halves or the demands of two domestic cup competitions? Some will, but there will be a few that won't.

That's why it is important to get the right players. They don't have to be World Class, that's for their International managers to care about, but they have to be Premiership class. We don't have £32million to spend on Shevchenko who will only give us ten goals (and most of those against lower league oppo). We were worried about spending £9million on Kuyt! Our Yankee-doodle-sugar-daddies may have more than Moores but they aren't idiots. And neither is Rafa. Rumour has it that he could of had Aimar, but chose Luis Garcia, which might look like a bad move. Would Aimar have scored against Juve and Chelsea? There was a similar rumour that Zenden was chosen over Jaoquin, not just because he was free, but also because he didn't believe in the Spaniard's chances of adapting to the Premiership in time. So give Rafa some time and stop panicing. He'll get us the RIGHT players. And that's the important thing.

In short, we can attract top class (2 champion's league finals in 3 years!!!), we have class and we have cash. But these things take time. I'd rather miss out on a couple of big name risks, if it means we can get some overall improvement in the squad. But we will get some top class this summer. So read a book, take a break, sing a song or do whatever it takes to take your mind off of this whole thing. When was the last time you heard of an impatient Jedi? Eh?

Brilliant post :bowdown.
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:08 pm

The Ace1983 wrote:If we had no pulling power, Gerrard and Carragher would not have signed on for another 5 years. Owen would not be, apparently, desperate to come back to us. Tevez would not have been "excited" about the prospect of playing for us, and the same goes for Eto'o.

Good post Ace. I get the feeling some on here just want a big money signing, millions spent on a name and not a lot more.  Torres anyone ?                                                         No ta !
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:40 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:
kopite_1232002 wrote:just reading this

Your thoughts

We haven't been able to afford the top-dollar paid for World Class talent in recent years. Now, according to the new owners, we can, but that does not mean we HAVE to go out and sign these players.

Eto'o has stated he wants to stay in Barcelona, David Villa has, I believe, just signed a new contract, and Tevez is not yet World Class, despite his World-class valuation.

I get the feeling that certain people want this club ripped off, but I personally don't think that will ever happen under Rafa.

I agree, we just need to buy "good signing" player. Maybe we need one defender, one right midfield and one striker.
LiverpoolMadman

Postby Penguins » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:01 pm

Sigh.
It might have something to do with us having a record fee of 14 million...

If you think having a transfer budget of 15 million total will get you world class players then dream on.
If you believe Chelski has a much better pulling power than Liverpool, then you are way wrong.
Has Chelski had 300 million to spend the last few seasons?
Yes, hence they can buy top class players for 25 million each.
We can't.
It's 99% about money and until we can compete we will not get world class.
If we had 60 million to spend just like that I'm sure we would be 99% close to get the likes of Eto'o.
It's the same with wages we can offer and Chelski and manure can offer.

We are in 3rd/4th place because we are the 3rd/4th richest club. Simple.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby Barca Murph » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:01 pm

My opinion of Liverpool is that it is a top club without a team to match.
Barca Murph

Postby Hebz » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:11 pm

Chelski might have money but it wont last long. They might be able to buy world class players (well i say world class players) and they might have won the premiership a few times but who cares? their obviously not consistent because if they were going to "dominate" then they would have won it this year.

when Liverpool get back on track, we'll have the power to dominate and then we'll see if we'd be moaning about world class talent trying to sniff us out,

remember one thing "rome was not built in a day" neither was Liverpool. it'll be our time to shine, and when it is, the whole world will know about it
Hebz

Postby Penguins » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:25 pm

I'm not going to argue that, since it's my hope and belief someday Liverpool will be back on top.

But I'm talking about right here and now.
And right now Chelski and Manure are way ahead.
World class/top class cost 25m+ at least and we can't afford that types of players.
So all the talk about why they choose not to come here is garbage since we can't afford them.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:40 am

Liverpool have been linked with many world class players over recent years but lets face it we haven't bought 1. the majority of the players who are labelled as world class will not join us because Liverpool is a dump of a city, speaking as a scouser i know. Manchester is also a dump but because of United's "recent" success, players are more willing to go there, but the majoirty of their world stars are British anyway. Chelsea can attract them ahead of us because of more money and the life London can offer and as for European clubs, most forign world stars would rather go to the sunny beaches of Madrid and Barcelona than Southport and Formby.
One final point why do we need to go out a buy world stars for 20-30 million pound when Liverpool's greatest players are homegrown Brits, surely there are players just as good as the Torres/Villa/Eto'o in England. We need to mount a title challenge and bringing in these people from abroad will be another year wasted because they will need a year to settle in. My opinion is stick to the English talent and we'll do fine, even bring a few of the kids through, like Linfield, Anderson and Spearing. They'll never know how to cope with Premiership football if they're not given a proper run in the 1st team.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion