World class players

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Mick-o dywer » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:00 pm

I read an article ( think it was in 4-4-2 ) where a host of top Italian league based players were asked : Who are the biggest club in Britain....

Unsuprising result : liverpool followed by united followed by arsenal ....
Chelsea really didnt feature in the article....it was a recent enough edition, saying that dont qoute me !!
What I am trying to say is Lfc can attract world class players- i just dont think Parry and people responsible for lfc in the past were prepared to pay over the odds for players that frankly are prob  well worth that price now........classic example ronaldo...........vidic.........

if Hicks and Gillette seriously want us to win the EPL this yr or next we need 100 mill pounds to spend this summer.......no less
Utd have just won the epl , 20 odd pts ahead of us and they have spent 50mill already.....50 mill spent by us will only keep us in 3rd place.....
Its time for the big boys up stairs to remember this is LFC and spend big otherwise we are going no where and they make no money

A fella posted a comment earlier "lfc are a world class club without the team "  he is so close to the truth its unnatural..........

granted this isnt a thread about who is on ym wish list but  we need two unreal strikers, - 50 mill for both and 20 mill each on to top wingers
Last edited by Mick-o dywer on Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick-o dywer

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:10 pm

Mick-o dywer wrote:if Hicks and Gillette seriously want us to win the EPL this yr or next we need 100 mill pounds to spend this summer.......no less

Although we've gone over this topic time and time again.... I'll just say....I disagree completely with this statement, it's not impossible in my view to bring in 2-3 top quality players spending a maximum of £50m and to mount a serious title challenge next year. There is nothing to suggest that Anderson, Nani or Hargreaves will take Manure to another level, in fact, I'd say it might give rednose a few selection problems and may cause a little inconsistency in their results. Scholes and Giggs will be a year older and I doubt they'll reach the level they did last season. Chelsea have hardly brought in top quality, and Mourinho will still have selection problems with Shevchenko and Drogba. I think this coming season is one of the best opportunities for us to make a real go for the title - IMO - we just need those couple of players to make the difference.
LFC2007

Postby Mick-o dywer » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:17 pm

I do see where you are coming from , maybe not 100 million but we seriously need to spend big.....i appreciate i am new and a young fan but iv been telling myself for maybe 8 years that we need maybe 3 good players and we'll win the epl.......... but realistically i think thats false , a fantasy, we are more than 3 players - to the sum of 50 away from winning a league... as this is a discussion forum  -  i welcome any correspondance contradicting this........

Ronaldo , rooney carrick hargreaves vidic ( i not going to harp on but hargreaves is a very good man to have in mid   in case scholes has a quiet season ) nani and anderson are risks but so is torres if we sign him , actually any player is .....nani  could not have conned millions of people into believing he is a class player.........
Mick-o dywer

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:24 pm

You can't apportion what has happened over the past 8 years to Benitez. We are clearly moving in a different direction than to before, we have moved up a level and IMO it is NOT solely about spending x00 million pounds. Under Benitez, IMO, the quality of player we have signed has been much better than under Houllier, combined with his coaching abilities I think we are at a new level. I see a maximum of £50m being more than adequate to take us to the next level that would see us break into the top two and make a real challenge. A little improvement in our squad, and less rotation (just for you BigMick) combined with a bit of luck in terms of injuries and I think we're on our way to challenging significantly this coming season.
LFC2007

Postby Mick-o dywer » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:29 pm

its a fair point, a little less rotation  ,  abit more luck , you are probably right , i suppose we need maybe 3 players to have an unbelievable season.....i cant think of one liverpool fc player this year that played class throughout , can you....
but ya i agree with you ......
Mick-o dywer

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:30 am

Mick-o dywer wrote:its a fair point, a little less rotation  ,  abit more luck , you are probably right , i suppose we need maybe 3 players to have an unbelievable season.....i cant think of one liverpool fc player this year that played class throughout , can you....
but ya i agree with you ......

2 players who were class throughout--no surprise Jamie Carragher and other than the 1st leg of the champions league semi final against chelsea Danny Agger was superb. best central pairing in europe

As for who we need to bring in i've raised this point many times a decent left back, possible right winger depending on how Pennant fairs up, and a 30 league goals a season striker. people ask me why a left back but because Riise isn't a good left back, he's too slow nowadays but he is still a classic left mid. As for Aurellio I'd pay his bus fair back to spain/brazil despite looking as if he was settled just before he got injured last year. Pennant showed some good form at the back end of last year so a right winger shouldn't be our priority. and a 30 league goals a season striker there arent many out there but i suppose if we get a little bit more contribution from midfield in terms of goals 30 goals from one striker won't be necessary.

My 3 signings would be Matty Taylor cost us no more than 10mill. Aaron Lennon who would probably set us back 20 mill+ and Torres looks like the striker we've got and he's costing us 27mill. A lot of money, but we have to spend big if we're to challenge, although I'd like some of youthful players given the chance i.e. Therlwell, Spearing, Anderson and Linfield. Also Adam Hammill looked good when he moved out on loan to Dunfermline last year.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Mick-o dywer » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:56 pm

Nery Alberto Castillo Jr. (born June 13, 1984 in San Luis Potosí, Mexico) is a Mexican footballer player currently playing for Olympiacos of Greece.

[edit] Early career
Nery Alberto Castillo Confalonieri was considered at one time one of the most promising young players in the world; he made his debut at the tender age of 15 for his home club Danubio in the Uruguayan football first division. While participating with a youth team of Danubio on a Brazilian tournament, Castillo was spotted by several scouts from different European clubs. His father and agent decided that the best opportunity for his son was with Manchester United in the English Premier League, but Nery failed to obtain a work permit and the door to join the English club was closed. At the age of 16 and after his bitter experience with English Football, the father of Castillo accepted the offer of the Greek club Olympiacos. Castillo was invited not long after to a minicamp of the Uruguayan U-17 national team that was preparing for the South American U-17 football tournament; he accepted the invitation but was cut from the roster for uncertain reasons before the tournament. An action that made him reluctant to ever play for any under age team on international football.

[edit] Move to Olympiacos
Three years after he joined Olympiacos, Castillo became a regular starter in both the domestic and European competitions and began to shine thanks to his playmaking ability and rare attributes that allow him to play on any offensive position. Those rare attributes and his performance on the UEFA Champions League, caught the attention of Juan Ramón Carrasco, then manager of the Uruguayan national team, but Carrasco wasn't the only one that noticed Castillo's abilities. In Mexico it was the press first and the football federation after; that found out that Nery Castillo Jr. was born in Mexico and eligible to play for his native country. Both federations tried to lure the player to their respective program, but at the time Castillo declined both invitations under the argument that he couldn't make his mind on which country he wanted to represent.

After that point his career took a downslide, a rumored transaction to the Italian side Juventus never happened, apparently changes in the management of his club and the coach combined with the arrival of the famous Brazilian player Rivaldo, relegated him from his starting role to the bench. Other off the field issues with the coach and teammates have contributed to increase the perception that Castillo is a problematic player.

A year after he rejected Mexico's invitation, and once he was relegated to Olympiacos bench, his father sent a picture to the Mexican press of his son with the jersey of the Mexican national team and gave an interview declaring that his son was ready to play for Mexico [1], but at the time the Mexican Federation wasn't interested. In early 2006 his father and agent began negotiations with the Mexican club Chivas de Guadalajara, but were interrupted because Olympiacos wasn't interested in negotiating the player at the time.

For the 2006-2007 campaign Castillo looks like a solid starter, many reports consider that the player has changed his attitude and solved many off the field issues. The new perspective of a more mature Castillo encouraged the officers of Olympiacos to renew his contract, extending its length four more years, and improve its economic conditions as well. [2]

Castillo was the leading scorer for Olympiacos, or indeed any Greek club, during the preparatory phase for the 2006-2007 season, accumulating seven goals in friendly games against formidable opposition. Since then his form only seems to be improving, with a hat-trick performance against Panionios FC and several more goals both in the domestic tournament or the UEFA Champions League, Castillo has become one of the best goal scorers of Olympiacos this season.

The player is a favorite among the legions of Olympiacos fans as he is often very vocal about his love for the team. They have often defended him against harsh criticism from the press and have demanded his continued presence on the roster. He sports the number seven, a symbolic honor for any Olympiacos player

taken from wikipedia....iv only seen this player play once, last night in the copa america........Jesus he is brillant.......check him out on sky's highlights or you tube.....i would love this guy going on last nights preformance !!!!!!!
Mick-o dywer

Postby flamingpoe » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:27 pm

lets not get 2 carried away pal, Morientes all the talent in the world in Spain and France came to Liverpool and well lets just say it didn't work out.
Ciise top goalscorer in France 2 years running, arrives on Merseyside and isn't as prolific as we'd hoped
Emile Heskey, looked the buissness at Leicester and despite a good debut season with us, he went downhill from then on
Diouf, african player of the year, star of the 2002 world cup, Liverpool sign him and he's a total disaster
Craig Bellamy was BRFC top scorer we sign him and he couldn't score in a brothel
Either all of these players can't handle playing for such a huge club as Liverpool or Liverpool do something to them which make them become bad players.
thing is though the problem with buying top scorers like these is the fact they need time to settle in, one season is simply not enough for even the best players in the world, lets face it we need to keep hold of the players to settle in to the team, then they would probably become the players that they where, lets face we cant have miracles from players in there first season, if we held onto them for a little longer we may find out they still were as good, only difference is that they have to settle into how any team plays, if they settled in right away thats a bonus but all good players need time to settle into the team big name or not!
flamingpoe

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:58 pm

flamingpoe wrote:
lets not get 2 carried away pal, Morientes all the talent in the world in Spain and France came to Liverpool and well lets just say it didn't work out.
Ciise top goalscorer in France 2 years running, arrives on Merseyside and isn't as prolific as we'd hoped
Emile Heskey, looked the buissness at Leicester and despite a good debut season with us, he went downhill from then on
Diouf, african player of the year, star of the 2002 world cup, Liverpool sign him and he's a total disaster
Craig Bellamy was BRFC top scorer we sign him and he couldn't score in a brothel
Either all of these players can't handle playing for such a huge club as Liverpool or Liverpool do something to them which make them become bad players.
thing is though the problem with buying top scorers like these is the fact they need time to settle in, one season is simply not enough for even the best players in the world, lets face it we need to keep hold of the players to settle in to the team, then they would probably become the players that they where, lets face we cant have miracles from players in there first season, if we held onto them for a little longer we may find out they still were as good, only difference is that they have to settle into how any team plays, if they settled in right away thats a bonus but all good players need time to settle into the team big name or not!

I completely agree that players from abroad require a year to settle in and that's my main problem with Fernando Torres. This coming season it is vital we mount a title challenge and we can't afford to waste 27m on a player if he needs a year to settle, it's too much money, unless however we buy another striker, British based, who can bang the goals in while Torres beds in and adapts to life on Merseyside.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:06 pm

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:
flamingpoe wrote:

I completely agree that players from abroad require a year to settle in and that's my main problem with Fernando Torres. This coming season it is vital we mount a title challenge and we can't afford to waste 27m on a player if he needs a year to settle, it's too much money, unless however we buy another striker, British based, who can bang the goals in while Torres beds in and adapts to life on Merseyside.

I disagree with this completely. Foreign players do NOT come with a stipulation that they will take a year to settle in, I'd say that Torres would be more a worthwhile signing than the two you suggested in Leroy Lita and Kevin Doyle. Premiership players can have just as much of a problem in adjusting as foreign players, it depends on their quality and their SUITABILITY. Owen is one of the exceptions as you could say he would fit in straight away and has premiership experience, but the likes of Mccarthy may fail just like Bellamy did in his first season at Liverpool - despite having what you call "proven" Premiership ability. Even with Owen you could make a strong point that his inuries and his age make him less likely to be as successful as he was in his last spell at the club. I disagree when you apply this tag that foreign players come with a one-year health warning, the same can be said for a number of so called proven premiership players who have also failed in their first season.
LFC2007

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:15 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
god_bless_john_houlding wrote:
flamingpoe wrote:

I disagree with this completely. Foreign players do NOT come with a stipulation that they will take a year to settle in, I'd say that Torres would be more a worthwhile signing than the two you suggested in Leroy Lita and Kevin Doyle. Premiership players can have just as much of a problem in adjusting as foreign players, it depends on their quality and their SUITABILITY. Owen is one of the exceptions as you could say he would fit in straight away and has premiership experience, but the likes of Mccarthy may fail just like Bellamy did in his first season at Liverpool - despite having what you call "proven" Premiership ability. Even with Owen you could make a strong point that his inuries and his age make him less likely to be as successful as he was in his last spell at the club. I disagree when you apply this tag that foreign players come with a one-year health warning, the same can be said for a number of so called proven premiership players who have also failed in their first season.

I would like to clarify one thing, I don't want us to sign Leroy Lita or Kevin Doyle, alls I said is they were capable to score goals at a lesser team like Reading, so maybe they would of been worth a punt.

As far as foriegn players taken a year to settle in, I still firmly believe that they do take a while to bed in, but if Torres is like Alonso, he will take to the English game straight away. Also I take your point that players who have played in the prem still take time to settle at a new club, that's been proven as well, as you said Bellamy. There's also Beattie at that sh!t who share our city. So I think with any signing there is always risk of settling in, my only concern is can we afford the risk at 27 mill. Everyone will be expecting such big things from Torres straight away and if he doesn't settle at all and wants a move back to Spain, we will only get a cut of the price we bought him for. That's my biggest concern with big money moves, especially from abroad.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Happy-Punter » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:24 pm

I do think foreign players need time to adjust to the Prem. Not saying they cant do ok from day one though. I would say the majority of players be it foreign or coming from the championship will show improvment after their first season. Some take more time than others, some just arent suited for whatever reason. Drogba done a hell of a lot better in his second season. Kuyt will do a hell of a lot better this season, and Torres with his attributes of pace, skill and hard work will do ok in his first season.
Happy-Punter

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:20 pm

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:I would like to clarify one thing, I don't want us to sign Leroy Lita or Kevin Doyle, alls I said is they were capable to score goals at a lesser team like Reading, so maybe they would of been worth a punt.

But you have to remember that most teams put 10 men behind the ball against us and play for a point.  As such, players like Doyle, Lita and even the likes of Bent can't expect the same amount of space to work in.  If teams don't push up and look to attack against us it's hard to play through balls/balls over the top for these pace merchants to run onto.  Add to that the pressure of playing and performing for a big club and I think lads like this would be in well over their heads.

What we need are attackers with great skill and creativity on the ball, who can break down resolute defenses.  There are very few strikers plying their trade at the small clubs of the league that I think have this kind of skill.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:35 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
god_bless_john_houlding wrote:I would like to clarify one thing, I don't want us to sign Leroy Lita or Kevin Doyle, alls I said is they were capable to score goals at a lesser team like Reading, so maybe they would of been worth a punt.

But you have to remember that most teams put 10 men behind the ball against us and play for a point.  As such, players like Doyle, Lita and even the likes of Bent can't expect the same amount of space to work in.  If teams don't push up and look to attack against us it's hard to play through balls/balls over the top for these pace merchants to run onto.  Add to that the pressure of playing and performing for a big club and I think lads like this would be in well over their heads.

What we need are attackers with great skill and creativity on the ball, who can break down resolute defenses.  There are very few strikers plying their trade at the small clubs of the league that I think have this kind of skill.

Completely understand what you're saying but what's the point of a creative striker if there's nobody there to give it to. I mean lets be honest Xabi and Javier aren't gonna bust a gut to get into the box are they and there's no point putting a through ball through for Crouch because he hasn't the pace.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby The Manhattan Project » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:42 pm

Nothing happens at Liverpool
Lots of players are linked with Liverpool, but so far no one has been signed. Rafeal Benitez chases the big names, but so far no new arrivals at Anfield.

Fernando Torres, Samuel Eto'o, Darren Bent and Carlos Tevez are all names mentioned as possible targets for Benitez, but none of them fancies a move to Liverpool.

Torres - Very likely to join.

Eto'o - Has no interest in leaving Barca for anyone, let alone LFC

Bent - Wouldn't want him anyway.

Tevez - Too much behind the scenes baggage.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion