Our players in the world cup - Tracking how our players are faring

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:50 pm

The thing is, I dont think it would be wise to change the team that dramaticaly in the WC finals, thats what friendlies are for.

Fish out of water would spring to mind playing "drug boy" there. He's got pace, the footballing ablity but I'm not sure about the positioning and the tactical awareness.
66-1112520797

Postby 48-1119859832 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:53 pm

Bamaga man wrote:
0asis wrote:
s@int wrote:Neville didnt look fit against Paraguay, probably another case of Sven playing unfit favourites rather than "risk" playing a fitter alternative. Hope if Carragher plays ,Sven tries a back 3 of Terry,Ferdinand and Carragher with Beckham and A.Cole as wingbacks( Beckham has played wingback for R.Madrid)

I agree, I've said this one of the reason we could find ourselves out of this competition without leaving our mark. Sven won't play Carrick to protect the back four, he won't play anyone ahead of his favourites. He's tactically inept and he's uninterested about England.

And you wonder why I'm backing Mexico?

Carricks good enough for Spurs, but not playing the holding role for England in the WC he's simply Not good enough.

At the moment we dont have anyone whos specialty is to play that position at a world class level, and Gerrard is the only player who can play that role to the standard required. I know it shackles him but TBH he's the best we've got.

So maybe you should stick to backing Mexico.

Lampard simply isn't good enough to be in the England squad, Carrick and Gerrard would be a much safer, better and more dangerous centre pairing than Gerrard & Lampard. But I'm not bothered anymore. Sven's favourites, as well as his gambles, lack of interest in the job will cost us the World Cup.

The England team is a joke, I bet Trinidad & Tabago are scared of being faced with the midfield partnership of Gerrard and Lampard, what a joke.

Second favourites, don't make laugh.
48-1119859832

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:57 pm

Bamaga man wrote:The thing is, I dont think it would be wise to change the team that dramaticaly in the WC finals, thats what friendlies are for.

Fish out of water would spring to mind playing "drug boy" there. He's got pace, the footballing ablity but I'm not sure about the positioning and the tactical awareness.

Better that than at CB.  :D

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:58 pm

Bamaga man wrote:The thing is, I dont think it would be wise to change the team that dramaticaly in the WC finals, thats what friendlies are for.

Ferdinand has footballing ability? I'd like to see it again, last time I saw that was the last World Cup, he's been bog standard ever since that tournement, and he's doesn't look like he will change.

You can thank Sven for not trying too many new things out in friendlies and qualifers. He's been chopping and changing for the past five years, what's come of it? Nothing, why? Becoz he's inept, he should of been sacked after the previous World Cup. If you have been International manager for half a decade you should of been able to find the right formations and tactics as well as finding the right players to fill those rolls within the team, but Sven simply doesn't care, this and 2002 was our best chance since 1966 to win the World Cup and with players who are pampered by their clubs and earn ridiculous money as well as a manager with no tactical know how, we've failed to do it.

:no
48-1119859832

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:01 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:

Better that than at CB.  :D

Your right there  :D
66-1112520797

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:09 pm

0asis wrote:

Ferdinand has footballing ability? I'd like to see it again, last time I saw that was the last World Cup, he's been bog standard ever since that tournement, and he's doesn't look like he will change.

You can thank Sven for not trying too many new things out in friendlies and qualifers. He's been chopping and changing for the past five years, what's come of it? Nothing, why? Becoz he's inept, he should of been sacked after the previous World Cup. If you have been International manager for half a decade you should of been able to find the right formations and tactics as well as finding the right players to fill those rolls within the team, but Sven simply doesn't care, this and 2002 was our best chance since 1966 to win the World Cup and with players who are pampered by their clubs and earn ridiculous money as well as a manager with no tactical know how, we've failed to do it.

I agree that Sven is a clueless kunt but its been like that for a while now. I'm over it (him) I'm fed with the excuses of England come out with, whether its about Sven being tactically inept or the heat.
Threre proffesionals and today they can start erasing any doubts about them by putting in a convincing display.
66-1112520797

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:46 pm

Oasis wrote:Lampard simply isn't good enough to be in the England squad

Oasis wrote:Ferdinand has footballing ability? I'd like to see it again, last time I saw that was the last World Cup, he's been bog standard ever since that tournement, and he's doesn't look like he will change.

Oasis, mate...your hate-on for Sven and your tepid support for England are your own business but Lampard and Ferdinand are unquestionably good enough to be selected and start for England.  They have flaws-as do all players--but they are not consistent starters and top performers for arguably (at least in terms of the league table) the two best teams in arguably the best European domestic league for nothing--they have plenty of ability.

I'm as pro-Liverpool as anyone on here and I personally don't like either Lampard or Ferdinand, especially when the press over-hypes them.  But, to say that neither are good enough for England is simply shocking.  And, you're not alone in this.  Some people need to take a step back from the club-level partisanship and acknowledge that the England squad is strong, especially in central defense and midfield.

England's big problem, IMO, is a lack of fluidity (which will come as the tournament progresses) and Sven's tactics if Plan A isn't working.  Player selection in the starting 11 is not their downfall, IMHO.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby 48-1119859832 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:06 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
Oasis wrote:Lampard simply isn't good enough to be in the England squad

Oasis wrote:Ferdinand has footballing ability? I'd like to see it again, last time I saw that was the last World Cup, he's been bog standard ever since that tournement, and he's doesn't look like he will change.

Oasis, mate...your hate-on for Sven and your tepid support for England are your own business but Lampard and Ferdinand are unquestionably good enough to be selected and start for England.  They have flaws-as do all players--but they are not consistent starters and top performers for arguably (at least in terms of the league table) the two best teams in arguably the best European domestic league for nothing--they have plenty of ability.

I'm as pro-Liverpool as anyone on here and I personally don't like either Lampard or Ferdinand, especially when the press over-hypes them.  But, to say that neither are good enough for England is simply shocking.  And, you're not alone in this.  Some people need to take a step back from the club-level partisanship and acknowledge that the England squad is strong, especially in central defense and midfield.

England's big problem, IMO, is a lack of fluidity (which will come as the tournament progresses) and Sven's tactics if Plan A isn't working.  Player selection in the starting 11 is not their downfall, IMHO.

Bob, I'd really like to see England do well, as I said to Dawson the other week, I don't hate Sven, Ferdinand, Lampard or any other player who pulls on the England shirt, but I just don't think Ferdinand or Lampard are good enough for England. Lampard does nothing, he's brings nothing to the table. He scored twenty odd goals for Chelsea in recent seasons, so what? I or you could do that with Makelele and Essien doing all the donkey work for us. Ferdinand has dropped in standard over the last three years, he was one player who I thought had a superb World Cup 2002, but where is that form? It's lost, it's not there and I don't think it will be there in this World Cup. Ability wise for me they just aren't good enough, neither of them are particulary techincal gifted, which I could forgive had they showed they have a football brain, but they don't.

The England squad, individually houses some some of the World's best talent, but England can't hold the ball, England can't pass and keep possession, England don't control and dictate the games like some of the other countries in our league, so to speak. And Sven is a big problem, his negative tactics and continental approach to the England team doesn't work for me, and when plan A fails, there's never a plan B.

England have so many good players, nearly all of them would walk into a lot of teams but England don't work as a unit in my books and when things are going bad, we just bottle it. And then make excuses like "it's too hot" well do you hear the Africans moan when they have to play in the cold, harsh British winters?

48-1119859832

Postby 48-1119859832 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:09 pm

Bamaga man wrote:
0asis wrote:

I agree that Sven is a clueless kunt but its been like that for a while now. I'm over it (him) I'm fed with the excuses of England come out with, whether its about Sven being tactically inept or the heat.
Threre proffesionals and today they can start erasing any doubts about them by putting in a convincing display.

Very true, but saying Sven's not good enough to manage us and isn't remotely interested in leading England to World Cup glory isn't an excuse it's fact. However I do expect England to pull their socks up and work hard, dig in deep and get a good result. Maybe England can use this match to start learning how to keep the ball for long periods of the game, that way England won't moan about being "tired" when they finally figure out they're only gettin tired becoz they like to chase the posession.  :D
48-1119859832

Postby tubby » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:06 pm

Great goal from Crouch and Stevie.

I never knew Fat Sam was a Crouchy fan also. As for MO, as if he wasnt thinking had he madea mistake going to Newcaslte, now he has surley lost his England starting place now that Rooney is back. And with Crouchy scoring on the regular im sure Sven will keep him in the squad.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby weringo » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:27 pm

bavlondon wrote:Great goal from Crouch and Stevie.

I never knew Fat Sam was a Crouchy fan also. As for MO, as if he wasnt thinking had he madea mistake going to Newcaslte, now he has surley lost his England starting place now that Rooney is back. And with Crouchy scoring on the regular im sure Sven will keep him in the squad.

Big Sam loves anyone who can play in a team which uses the long ball tactics, as that is all his team does
weringo
LFC Super Member

Postby 48-1119859832 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:40 pm

bavlondon wrote:Great goal from Crouch and Stevie.

Owen is one of Sven's favourites, don't be surprised if Sven drops Crouch to accomodate the Owen and Rooney partnership.
48-1119859832

Postby tubby » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:41 pm

Funny as he seemed critical of that tactic earlier in the season. oh well.

Its nice to see Peter getting his chances for England and taking them in style.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:42 pm

bavlondon wrote:Funny as he seemed critical of that tactic earlier in the season. oh well.

Its nice to see Peter getting his chances for England and taking them in style.

Shame he didn't take the sitter too well, isn't it?  :no
48-1119859832

Postby tubby » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:51 pm

Yeah well he got one in the end.

The goal he scored today is identical to one he scored last year fo Shampton. Not sure if any of you lot still have that video of Crouch "Dont you want me playing in the background". But even thew way he jumped in that goal was indentical.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion