Tracking alonso and the spaniards

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:45 pm

Woollyback wrote:
jim_morrison_supported_liverpool wrote:for some reason Owen didnt have the Legendary status that Rush,Fowler,Aldridge did, and i dont know why.

I always got the impression that once Owen had established himself in the side he played purely for himself, as opposed to the love of the shirt & the club. Can't quite articulate what I'm trying to say here, but he was motivated by a desire to make Michael Owen successful, rather than make LFC successful

He was also always a bit of a corporate golden boy, goody 2 shoes type, which was never gonna endear him to the crowd like Robbie & his support-the-dockers t-shirt and other assorted antics

Ask yourself this, would you rather go for a pint with MO or Aldo/Rushie/Robbie? MO was dull as f*ck basically

Don't get me wrong, he was great for us and I hope he succeeds at Real, I just thought he was a bit of a gimp

some may slate you for this Wooly. (STU probably) because you may argue that his professionalism and all the rest of it, not bein caught with his keks down, any of this stuff, may be why he'll always succeed  whereas Fowler and others may fail.

but on the whole i agree with you. there was just no connection between the fans and him. i think we all TRIED to love him cos obviously he was an amazing player and one of our own. he's a brilliant player and goalscorer. you'd never see him doin the dockers T-shirt thing though, or anythin like that. thats what elevates Fowlers status, cos he was right in tune with what all Liverpudlians were thinkin about, and passionate about the same things. 

yes the words "bit of a gimp" do spring to mind.
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
jim_morrison_supported_liverpool
LFC Super Member

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:59 pm

Fowler_E7 wrote:
Sabre wrote:
I always got the impression that once Owen had established himself in the side he played purely for himself, as opposed to the love of the shirt & the club.

Perhaps. But I admire this player. He might be selfish but he is a *football* player, not a fashion mannequin as many Real Madrid player pretend to be.

He's scored more goals than Ronaldo having tha halve of minutes, and that's to say something. Pride won't do the trick only, hard work and good training attitude will. Owen isn't the type of player who go to train in armani suit, smelling well, and showing the new porsche.

Ivan

agree, Owen is a complete profesional, and has to be comended for that, especially considering that he was one of the best paid and famous players in the world.

well yes but on your side of the world
over her owen is like a speck of dust in the wind
the only soccer player that gets any ney say is david beckham because hes a ****** fag and hes supposedly "hot"
and hes marred to victoria
over here its alex rodriguez and people like the rapist kobe bryant and labron james people that are easily marketable and are pathetic because all they are is a walking advertisement and i just shake my head at it, its destroying the game when all you see is people walking around with jerseys and they dont even care about the actual sport.
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:33 pm

I think with Owen he looked like he played for himself, last season he looked disinterested and you can blame Houllier or the style of play but the Rush's of this world never gave up running and chasing and Fowler well he was Fowler simple as that.

I do agree that Owen just never had that something in his personality that clicks with fans, he is world class and a superb striker but Rooney appears and everyone forgets about him, he just seems to be one of those people.  Maybe us Brits just like flawed characters
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:48 pm

taff wrote:I think with Owen he looked like he played for himself, last season he looked disinterested and you can blame Houllier or the style of play but the Rush's of this world never gave up running and chasing and Fowler well he was Fowler simple as that.

I do agree that Owen just never had that something in his personality that clicks with fans, he is world class and a superb striker but Rooney appears and everyone forgets about him, he just seems to be one of those people.  Maybe us Brits just like flawed characters

"u Brits" ???

pardon for saying but is not the country of Wales in the British Isles?
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
LFC Super Member

Postby JBG » Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:50 pm

He said "us Brits" Jim!  :laugh:
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:01 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:He said "us Brits" Jim!  :laugh:

staring at the screen all day obviously ISNT helping my eyesight then.
LFC Super Member

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:05 pm

jim_morrison_supported_liverpool wrote:
John Barnes' Granny wrote:He said "us Brits" Jim!  :laugh:

staring at the screen all day obviously ISNT helping my eyesight then.

lol
and i dont count :p
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:00 am

Ive just found this  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
July 1 2003:  My dads mate works at Carrington and says Xabi, Alonsos and Nihat are on there way to Man United for 25million. Kewell snubbed a huge offer. McManaman is on his way to City. From True Salford red, PAUL  :laugh:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion