Our players in the world cup - Tracking how our players are faring

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LFC_fan » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:17 am

Numerous threads have already been created on which players have impressed in the world cup or which players we should consider buying etc etc but lets not forget abt the current crop we already have. This thread serves the purpose of keeping track of their international contributions. I'll kick off with some analysis of the reds who were already in action.

England vs Paraguay

Carra and scot were unused subs while crouch and gerrard started (and ended the game)

Crouch - Caused the opponents no end of trouble for the opening 30mins when england threatened to sweep the game away but became annonymous (much like the rest of the english team) Overall, gave a solid performance. One point i'll like to bring up though, was that although he posed a huge physical presence up front, he didnt really pose much of a goal threat.

Gerrard - Not his best game though he did influence the game at the start, with a superb through pass to owen being the highlight. the official site just put up an article on how the english press rated gerrard vs lampard which proved a good read, the link being posted below.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N152579060612-1406.htm

Australia vs Japan

Kewell - first full 90mins since he limped out of the FA cup final. Could see that he still wasnt match fit but the aussies couldnt afford leaving him out in such an important game. The way i see it, whoever loses this game will be out of the world cup, what with brazil and croatia still to come. Kewell had his moments but tired and faded away somewehre in the middle of the second half. hate to admit it, but was relief when hiddink brought out that scum cahill (i was supporting the aussies) as he was the one who provided the largest goal threat in the aussie side (viduka had a good game but just didnt foresee him banging in the goals) Overall, it was a good come back game for kewell, he should be getting back to his best against brazil and croatia. hopefully Oz can get a result against the latter and make it thru to the second round.

Krompkamp was an unused sub in holland's 1-0 win over S&M.

Cant wait for Spain's opening match, though i think none of the liverpool boys will start, the best bet being alonso.

This world cup is providing some relief to us soccer fans but cant wait till the next premiership season kicks off. Chelsea looks stronger than before, with drogba and especially Robben (who both scored for their respective countries) looking impressive. But :censored: the money twinggling mercenaries. GO xavi, reina and luis, do liverpool and spain proud!  :buttrock
LFC_fan

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:46 am

On the Gerrard vs Fat Frank debate, I fail to see how anyone - even Fat Frank's Mum - can truely believe the tubbster is a better player than our Stevie.

If shooting on site with no more accuracy than a Goalkeeper, ignoring your superior team-mate's far better positioning to go for personal glory, needing 16 shots (including penalties) to score 1 goal, shirking tackles and looking like a complete w*nker makes you a World-Class Midfielder, then f*ck me. Everyone is a World Class midfielder.

Even El Hadji Diouf.
Even Lenny f*cking Henry.

It doesn't take a genius to see that Fat Frank is the most overrated player of modern times. All he can do is tw*t the ball in a straight line. Nothing more, nothing less.

His awareness is shocking, his passing game is pretty poor for a "World Class" player, his tackling is laughably irratic, his heading is non-existant, and his work-rate is on a par with a chronically depressed Koala bear.

Steven, on the other hand, is just utter class in every department.
Not faultless, as his passing goes astray at times, and he's not a tempo-dictating midfielder, but his skills and attitude are definately class.

So eat that, Fat Frank, you f*cking useless c*nt. :D

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:23 am

On the Gerrard vs Fat Frank debate

Cant compare a diamond ( Gerrand ) and a glass ( Frank ) ....
LiverpoolMadman

Postby Good Bob » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:14 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:On the Gerrard vs Fat Frank debate, I fail to see how anyone - even Fat Frank's Mum - can truely believe the tubbster is a better player than our Stevie.

If shooting on site with no more accuracy than a Goalkeeper, ignoring your superior team-mate's far better positioning to go for personal glory, needing 16 shots (including penalties) to score 1 goal, shirking tackles and looking like a complete w*nker makes you a World-Class Midfielder, then f*ck me. Everyone is a World Class midfielder.

Even El Hadji Diouf.

It doesn't take a genius to see that Fat Frank is the most overrated player of modern times. All he can do is tw*t the ball in a straight line. Nothing more, nothing less.

His awareness is shocking, his passing game is pretty poor for a "World Class" player, his tackling is laughably irratic, his heading is non-existant, and his work-rate is on a par with a chronically depressed Koala bear.

Not faultless, as his passing goes astray at times, and he's not a tempo-dictating midfielder, but his skills and attitude are definately class.

Very harsh on Lampard and very inaccurate... but it made me smile. :D
Good Bob

Postby Sabre » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:02 pm

Cant wait for Spain's opening match, though i think none of the liverpool boys will start, the best bet being alonso.

On the contrary, I think that they're going to play both of them. Here in Spain every training session is full of spies, even if they do a closed doors training sessions, the journalists manage to hide somewhere to get the info.

Looks like in the recent matches Luis has been testing alternatives, in the game against Croatia we saw in the first part of the game how Spain plans to play when we are up in the score, with many men behind the ball and a defensive system. In the second part we say a Spain that would look desperately for the goal and few defensive care.

But the real plan seem to be a balanced team, in which Alonso is the axis, and LG, although in the schema will appear in the right to make a "4-3-3" (but those are just numbers), he'll be roaming between lines and behind the strikers. Raul seems to be out of the starting eleven.

Interestingly enough, Gerrard is doing the Alonso role in England, on front of the Defence, and Alonso will do the Gerrard role (but not so attacking) with Senna behind him doing the tough job. Xavi (Barcelona) would be Alonso's companion, although some say Cesc might appear, since Xavi still has lack of matches after his injury. I'm very positive right now, as I like the combination Luis seem to have picked. I haven't seen impressive performances from our rivals, so right now I'm very optimistic, although I know history tells me not to be. We have a very good squad with many alternatives, if we wanted to use the wings at some point, Reyes and Joaquin are ready, we have more options that we used to have.

The journalist that have a clue about football, are betting for Alonso, the twáts from Valencia and those who do not bother to watch other leagues, preffer Albelda, fortunately enough, they're a minority.
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:43 pm

Alonso and Garcia both starting for Spain tomorrow.

GK 1 Casillas
DF 15 Sergio Ramos
DF 5 Puyol
DF 22 Pablo Ibáñez
DF 3 Pernía
DM 14 Xabi Alonso
AM 16 Marcos Senna
AM 8 Xavi
F 11 Luis García
F 9 Fernando Torres
F 21 Villa
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:11 am

Good Bob wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:On the Gerrard vs Fat Frank debate, I fail to see how anyone - even Fat Frank's Mum - can truely believe the tubbster is a better player than our Stevie.

Even El Hadji Diouf.

Very harsh on Lampard and very inaccurate... but it made me smile. :D

I stand by it!  :nod  :D

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:13 am

stmichael wrote:Alonso and Garcia both starting for Spain tomorrow.

GK 1 Casillas
DF 15 Sergio Ramos
DF 5 Puyol
DF 22 Pablo Ibáñez
DF 3 Pernía
DM 14 Xabi Alonso
AM 16 Marcos Senna
AM 8 Xavi
F 11 Luis García
F 9 Fernando Torres
F 21 Villa

Fantastic line up that, should be easy for Spain tomorrow but it never is
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby LFC_fan » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:47 am

good to see xavi and luis starting for spain. spain vs ukraine shd be a good match, cant wait for it to start.

on the topic of impressive players, a couple got my attention yesterday. one was the croat snrc or something. cant remember, he played on the right upfront and caused brazil no ends of trouble. the other was spur's lee yong po at left back. imo, he can play anywhere on the left and will not look out of place at all, his step overs and mazy runs were the highlight of the korea - togo match.
LFC_fan

Postby kunilson » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:11 pm

that player was srno, and apart from the manager's son he looked their main threat. looks like he had a powerful shot too.
Korea's Jhung Whan who got fired from an italian club for knocking them out of the tournament last time impressed me....cos he changed the game when he came on, and scored a fantastic goal.

Kewell struggled a bit with his fitness and the heat, but he did alright....saw flashes of his old-self when he made some nice runs through the centre and up the flanks, put some good balls in at times...but he did not take many potshots at the goal which i was hoping he'd do. He'll get better...

why stevie G has to hold when he has the ability to change games when in an attacking role is beyond me.....especially behind lampard who has not been on form this year, and i believe he hardly ever steps up against BIG teams when it counts...crouch worked hard but didn't get any joy cos of the lack of supply....

so-so start but it'll get better. good luck to alonso and garcia, and plan B = take out shevchenko :;):
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby kopite_1232002 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:14 pm

alonso and garcia have just played for spain, what a game they both had, alonso scored spain won 4-0

what a player that torres is at only 22, sure he will be snapped up by one ov the big boys
kopite_1232002

Postby kingycrouch » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:21 pm

our players played fantastic 2day:laugh:
David Villa would be a great signing if possible come on benitez listen to Garcia on this one
kingycrouch

Postby GOAT » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:24 pm

kopite_1232002 wrote:alonso and garcia have just played for spain, what a game they both had, alonso scored spain won 4-0

what a player that torres is at only 22, sure he will be snapped up by one ov the big boys

Torres scored a fantastic goal but i still think hes overrated. Looks like a big rich team will probably snap him up now for a hugely inflated price like 25mil
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby kopite_1232002 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:34 pm

he had everythin in todays game, pacy good runs good goal and his passing was top quality..

iv he is snapped up next year it will be good to watch him play in the champions leauge.

Dont forget he isnt playing wiv world class quality week in week out. he will shine in a team like barca madrid lpool so on, look at shevchenko today no service and he was :censored:,

giv it to the lad and he is top quality
kopite_1232002

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:34 pm

GOAT wrote:
kopite_1232002 wrote:alonso and garcia have just played for spain, what a game they both had, alonso scored spain won 4-0

Torres scored a fantastic goal but i still think hes overrated. Looks like a big rich team will probably snap him up now for a hugely inflated price like 25mil

Didn't Man U have a £25m bid for Torres rejected?  ???
ivor_the_injun

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion