Tracking alonso and the spaniards

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:37 pm

You know you can't trust Spanish sports newspapers when it comes to watch the performance of Spanish players, they stupidly tend to praise them no matter what they do  :glare:

So let's use the internet to get first hand opinions

Questions & curiosities :

1) I told about Alonso a couple of months ago that he masters the rythm of the game and that he does great long passes and labeled as a key player on Real Sociedad. I also told that he's not a scorer but a distributor. What do you think of him after this months? was it worth the money? (I think so, reading the forum so far)

2) Curiosity: when a player leaves Liverpool, say, a great player, do you also care of what they do in other teams and expect the best for them or you don't care anymore and consider them 'traitors' :) For instance, comment Aldo or Owen cases.

3) What about the Liverpool's youth system? do you work a lot on that sense, how many talented players has brought the youth system lately? (I ask this because Real Sociedad team's philosophy is to take out players from the wouth system, when possible)

Thanks for your patience and time!

Ivan
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:45 pm

Which press you working for  :p
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby gabbyh » Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:48 pm

All our Spanish players are so far worth the money, so is Rafa.

I wish all ex Liverpool players the best. If they don't do well, I feel as though it reflects badly on LFC. Daft huh??

Youth System? Not sure. Owen and Fowler were products of that system, so is Mellor. I feel that at the moment, our youth system is not as productive as it could be.
Was Carra?
gabbyh

Postby JBG » Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:21 pm

Sabre: Some people were annoyed with Michael Owen in leaving, and for some reason, he never had the folk hero status that many other players had. All the same, I wish him well and I always look out for him in the Monday newspapers, to see how he has gotten on.

As for Aldo, he was and is still a legend in my eyes, and I think most people will agree with that. He wasted his time at Tranmere though, as he could have cut it for another two or three years at least at the top.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby The_Rock » Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:23 pm

gabbyh wrote:All our Spanish players are so far worth the money, so is Rafa.

I wish all ex Liverpool players the best. If they don't do well, I feel as though it reflects badly on LFC. Daft huh??

Youth System? Not sure. Owen and Fowler were products of that system, so is Mellor. I feel that at the moment, our youth system is not as productive as it could be.
Was Carra?

Yes carra is one of us  :D
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:48 pm

1:    Everyone loves Alonso (as far as i know; havent heard anyone complain). He's a F*ckin genius

2:    Liverpool have prided themselves for always applauding players that have left, when they play against Liverpool. there's only some situations where that doesnt happen. for example El-Hadji-Diouf will not be welcome here as he's spoken badly of us ( and he's a dirty tw*t). some people were angry when Mcmanaman left but thats cos he held out for a while, and we got no money for him. i personally followed his career and was happy when he's doin well, same as with Michael Owen. as JBG said though, for some reason Owen didnt have the Legendary status that Rush,Fowler,Aldridge did, and i dont know why. again some people are p*ssed off that we only got 8 million for him, and many are givin him sh*t. i think if he was to come back and play here though he would get a brilliant reception, most players do.

3: unfortunately Houllier had a bust up with the youth coach and i think this affected the development of some of the players. only now Benitez is here are those young'uns getting a chance to improve and get used to the Bg Boys Game. some are now looking promising. LLiverpool have always had young players coming thru though.
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
jim_morrison_supported_liverpool
LFC Super Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:17 pm

1. Alonso is potentially world class and looks a superb signing. Worth every penny of the £10.7million we paid for him.

2. I always like to see good players doing well. David Thompson, Owen, Fowler, as someone said only Diouf and Paul Ince and one or two others over the years we don't like.

3. Matteo, Carragher, Wright, Warnock, Gerrard, McManaman, Fowler, Owen, Thompson have all come throught the youth systems and are all playing at a good level.

Steven Wright is a good right back we should never have sold.
David Thompson at Blackburn is another we should never have let go.

Fowler and Owen were two of the country's best when they played for us, they could have been lethal under different circumstances.

We have an excellent youth system, but it hasn't produced for a few years. Over the next 3 or 4 though i expect some big names to come out of there.
115-1073096938

Postby zarababe » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:29 pm

Sabre wrote:You know you can't trust Spanish sports newspapers when it comes to watch the performance of Spanish players, they stupidly tend to praise them no matter what they do  :glare:

So let's use the internet to get first hand opinions

Questions & curiosities :

1) I told about Alonso a couple of months ago that he masters the rythm of the game and that he does great long passes and labeled as a key player on Real Sociedad. I also told that he's not a scorer but a distributor. What do you think of him after this months? was it worth the money? (I think so, reading the forum so far)

Alonso is proving himself to be moving toward world class staus ... alongside Gerrard the best midfield wow.. I  say yes..

All the players that Senor Benitez has bought have so far not dissapppointed.. that says a lot given our recent experience in the transfer market under Monsieur Houllier.. it also tells a loot about the man at the helm.. focused, tactically sound, realistic and impassioned by the drive to take LFC to the top.. and he will succeed ..

By the way Alonso and the spanish contingency are the subject of an excellent thread .. check it out.. "LFC The Hunk Zone" ..  :)
Last edited by zarababe on Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:30 pm

stu_the_red wrote:We have an excellent youth system, but it hasn't produced for a few years. Over the next 3 or 4 though i expect some big names to come out of there.

Wouldn't br too sure on that one. I have been following the results of the youth teams and they don't look too good.
I just wonder if there is anything there at the moment ?
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby Woollyback » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:42 pm

jim_morrison_supported_liverpool wrote:for some reason Owen didnt have the Legendary status that Rush,Fowler,Aldridge did, and i dont know why.

I always got the impression that once Owen had established himself in the side he played purely for himself, as opposed to the love of the shirt & the club. Can't quite articulate what I'm trying to say here, but he was motivated by a desire to make Michael Owen successful, rather than make LFC successful

He was also always a bit of a corporate golden boy, goody 2 shoes type, which was never gonna endear him to the crowd like Robbie & his support-the-dockers t-shirt and other assorted antics

Ask yourself this, would you rather go for a pint with MO or Aldo/Rushie/Robbie? MO was dull as f*ck basically

Don't get me wrong, he was great for us and I hope he succeeds at Real, I just thought he was a bit of a gimp
Last edited by Woollyback on Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:08 am

I always got the impression that once Owen had established himself in the side he played purely for himself, as opposed to the love of the shirt & the club.

Perhaps. But I admire this player. He might be selfish but he is a *football* player, not a fashion mannequin as many Real Madrid player pretend to be.

He's scored more goals than Ronaldo having tha halve of minutes, and that's to say something. Pride won't do the trick only, hard work and good training attitude will. Owen isn't the type of player who go to train in armani suit, smelling well, and showing the new porsche.

Ivan
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:11 am

Sabre wrote:
I always got the impression that once Owen had established himself in the side he played purely for himself, as opposed to the love of the shirt & the club.

Perhaps. But I admire this player. He might be selfish but he is a *football* player, not a fashion mannequin as many Real Madrid player pretend to be.

He's scored more goals than Ronaldo having tha halve of minutes, and that's to say something. Pride won't do the trick only, hard work and good training attitude will. Owen isn't the type of player who go to train in armani suit, smelling well, and showing the new porsche.

Ivan

He'll be in his Rockports with his trackie showin off his new Saxo  :D
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:46 am

Woollyback wrote:
jim_morrison_supported_liverpool wrote:for some reason Owen didnt have the Legendary status that Rush,Fowler,Aldridge did, and i dont know why.

I always got the impression that once Owen had established himself in the side he played purely for himself, as opposed to the love of the shirt & the club. Can't quite articulate what I'm trying to say here, but he was motivated by a desire to make Michael Owen successful, rather than make LFC successful

He was also always a bit of a corporate golden boy, goody 2 shoes type, which was never gonna endear him to the crowd like Robbie & his support-the-dockers t-shirt and other assorted antics

Ask yourself this, would you rather go for a pint with MO or Aldo/Rushie/Robbie? MO was dull as f*ck basically

Don't get me wrong, he was great for us and I hope he succeeds at Real, I just thought he was a bit of a gimp

agree with the point about owen bening dull. I think thats the reason he never really acheived fowler style status, because of his lack of personality.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:48 am

Sabre wrote:

Ivan

agree, Owen is a complete profesional, and has to be comended for that, especially considering that he was one of the best paid and famous players in the world.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JohnBull » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:28 pm

Redrider :-
Yes the results from The Academy have been dissappointing but they don't tell the whole story.
Raffa has made BIG, long over due, changes to the training of the youngsters and there are some good players to see if you take a run out to Kirby.
Nothing is going to happen overnight but that goes for the first team aswell. Things are going the right way and if you can spare a few bob put it on a 9 year old, Connor Randells, (two footed midfielder) to be captain of England before he's 25. SERIOUS!!!
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion