OFFICIAL STEVEN GERRARD THREAD - Please post all here

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tubby » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:40 pm

In a baffling twist, Gerrard has confided to friends he desperately wants to stay at Anfield but he's concerned the club won't be strong enough to compete for honours next season.

He is also worried that by signing a deal reportedly worth £100,000 a week, he will swallow up most of Rafa Benitez's transfer kitty and the club won't be challenging for the Premiership.

You just cant win with him can you.

If your worried about cutting into player money then why the hell did you not just sign aen extention.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red_indian » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:43 pm

in a way Chelsea have done us a favour by putting in that bid i think. by rejecting it (given it was above the touted £30m) Liverpool have shown their hand to refute suggestions they want rid of SG and if nothing else it does push Real to have to offer more if they want him. Perhaps no loose for LFC if he's already decided to go that is.
red_indian

Postby Rafalution » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:46 pm

I for one am now beginning to get very fed up with this continual media circus surrounding Gerrard leaving Liverpool. The press are trying to make Gerrard bigger than the club and seem intent on helping SFX achieve their goal of puersuading Gerrard to leave.

I for one hope that if Gerrard does stay he comes out publicly and states that he never wants to leave the club like our JC has and ends all this speculation once and for all so that we don't have all this again further down the line.

If however he decides to call it a day then I will pity him for he will have turned his back on the best club in the world and most importantly, the best fans in the world. If the Champions League Final isn't enough to convince Gerrard that his future lies at Anfield, then surely the the games at Anfield V Juve and Chelsea should have at least got it through to Gerrard that if he leaves he will never play in front of support like that again.

Having had the misfortune of attending games at the Bernabeu and Stamford Bridge, I can only say that there's more atmosphere in the toilets at Anfield than there is in either of those stadiums.

The more time which passes with Gerrard not signing a new deal, the more everyone is able to see that his reasons for being so undecided about things are not based around football and his love for Liverpool, but are now revolving around money, glamour and ego.

Whatever happens from now on in I just hope that this will be the last of the speculation surrounding our skipper.
Rafalution

Postby 109-1093441336 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:48 pm

Cant wait till SG goes to Real. we'll have top money to buy genuine stars instead of one English joke who can't get his team past Everton.  :censored: captain and an even worse player, long hoof balls aside.

Alonso is the new god, and SG knows it since Nov, with the addittion of Figo, Hargreaves Milito and Baptista we'll tear teams apart.

With Gerrard we'll maybe gain 6 more points from last season.
109-1093441336

Postby Igor Zidane » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:55 pm

meelan#5 wrote:Cant wait till SG goes to Real. we'll have top money to buy genuine stars instead of one English joke who can't get his team past Everton.  :censored: captain and an even worse player, long hoof balls aside.

Alonso is the new god, and SG knows it since Nov, with the addittion of Figo, Hargreaves Milito and Baptista we'll tear teams apart.

With Gerrard we'll maybe gain 6 more points from last season.

nobrot
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby antz » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:56 pm

Stevie must learn that silence is not always golden. His next statement will be the most important he will ever make in his life regardless if he stays or not. If he stays there is no point saying that ive signed but the club must do this and that.
antz

Postby Homebooby » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:03 pm

policy wrote:
In a baffling twist, Gerrard has confided to friends he desperately wants to stay at Anfield but he's concerned the club won't be strong enough to compete for honours next season.

He is also worried that by signing a deal reportedly worth £100,000 a week, he will swallow up most of Rafa Benitez's transfer kitty and the club won't be challenging for the Premiership.

This was from ICLiverpool page:
Reds fear Gerrard......

They make it sound like he's doing it for the good of the team. Hahahahahahahaha.
How very magnanimous of Stevie. If you believe that, well, SFX is a reputable group of agents who aren't ruining the game.

The thing that makes me laugh in that article is that he is worried about tieing up all the liverpool funds in his wages. If that is the case, why take pay rise at all. sign another contract to the tune of 60 grand?

Pants if you ask me
Homebooby

Postby tubby » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:15 pm

Call me hopefull but there hasnt been any official comments today from SFX cncerning the matter. I might be taking a big assumption here but perhaps he is seriously considering the 100k a week offer and that is why nothing is beign said today. Notice how SFX have not responded to Parrys and Rafas conversation with SG yesterday. But like all the other Liverpool fans on here, i am beinging to grow tired of these childish antics. The same fans that travelled to Istanbull and the same fans that SG praised after thematch deserve more. Im not saying that he ahs to commit but he should at least be up front and honest with us. And at such a bad time.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:16 pm

NE1 in liverpool know what this is about:

Gerrard shock
SEE later editions of tonight's Liverpool Echo for a shock development in the Steven Gerrard contract talks saga

link to page
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:17 pm

I have to say, apart from the occasional undeniably stunning performance in the last couple of seasons, plus some champagne last minute moments, he's hardly been a consistent performer. By his own admission he had a fairly ordinary 2004/05 season.

If I was him, I'd feel embarrassed about haggling over that much of a raise. How much is Carra on, FFS?

I actually think it's interesting that Chelsea have gone public in saying that they wouldn't go any higher than 90k a week for him. There's a misconception at LFC and in the media that Stevie's our best player. I'd go so far as to say that - going on performances over the last season - he's  currently our fourth best player, behind Carra, Alonso and Riise. The big, big problem here in all this is that he clearly believes his own hype. "I'm the f*cking man" indeed.

Very, very disappointed that he's currently allowing SFX to speak for him as well. Just strap a pair of stones on and get in front of the cameras, you tool. :)
ivor_the_injun

Postby dawson99 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:19 pm

latest odds on where he'll be next season for anyone that wants and hasnt seen yet

Win Odds Options

2005-08-13 15:00:00

Chelsea 8/11   
Liverpool 5/4   
Real Madrid 6/1   
Barcelona 33/1   
Man Utd 33/1   
A C Milan 66/1   
Inter Milan 66/1   
Juventus 66/1
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:19 pm

As much as many of the fans on here want SG to stay i think its time to be realistic now for as every day goes by without hearing from the man himself, the prospect of him going becomes more and more a reality. I think its time to start looking elsewhere. I know Rafa said we will fight for him until the end but surley with a week to go until the start of our season its time to start bringing in some big money signings. Im not being unrealistic when i say get the SG money now and bring in SWP. They could easily broker a deal with Chelsea to include a clause to drop the interest for SG and with the money they could easily splash out £15 to 20 Mil on him.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:20 pm

Uh oh - back page of Echo late edition...

Gerrard : I want to go
ivor_the_injun

Postby Piewhack » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:21 pm

Yeah.. he's asked for a transfer request!!!
:(
Piewhack
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:23 pm

Well at least we now know where we stand with him.  He obviously wants to go to RM - RM said they wouldn't put an offer in  with a transfer request!
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion